Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• Add me to the list! Here is my tale.
    At 47,700 miles, the Check engine light as well as the TCS light lit up on my 1999 Odyssey. The engine would rev and there would be delay in shifting. I took it to the dealer, who flushed the transmission fluid. One day later, the Check engine light was back on and back to the dealer I went. ANNND ... you guessed it --- New transmission that would cost me $5000 for parts and labor.
    Thanks to similar discussion boards here on Edmunds, I got the Idea to call American Honda (800)999-1009. I informed them of my situation, and the person that I spoke to stated that each complaint is handled by a case-by-case basis. I further stated that I learned in the Edmunds.com discussion boards that my situation was not unique. I proceeded to tell her that I was also aware that the 2000 and 2001 Odyssey models had their warranties automatically extended. I then requested any help in the matter that they could give me. I did mention that I had read that others had parts and labor covered.
    5 days later a representative called me back stating that American Honda would cover for parts and labor, and after my local dealership kept on giving me the runaround by not calling me back during the period of one week, American Honda stated they would pay for a rental. The dealership gave me a loner instead, which they told me weeks before that they did not have.

New part is warrantied for only 12 months and 12,000 miles.
  • seguyseguy Posts: 133
    with a re-engineered 4 speed or the newer 5 speed? Just curious, since I'd trust the 5-speed design slightly more than a 'new' 4 speed if it wasn't re-engineered to cure the original issue.
  • In a previous post, I told my good fortune of Honda America covering my '99 transmission in full (parts, labor & rental). I had 58K on it when it failed a few months ago and no extended warranty.
    Well here's even BETTER news. They have now reimbursed me for all related misc trans. expenses that I had incurred (flush and labor for solenoid change) earlier. This amounted to almost $300. I cashed the check yesterday.
    The also sent me a letter extending my warranty to 7years/100K miles.
    This is the same policy they have on the '00-'01.
    Will I buy another Honda? ABSOLUTELY!

My advice - Push Honda for everything. When they call you after the repair, tell them how happy you are that they replace the transmission BUT....

I never had to get angry or upset, just persistant!

Good luck.
  • Okay, I'm in shock that this is a common problem. Someone recommended that I read about transmission problems on this board, and I'm glad I did.

I have a 01 Odyssey and the check engine light is usually always on, but the TCS light only comes on intermittently. When we took it to the dealer, they said they couldn't get the TCS light to come on, and they had to order the part to fix the check engine light.

It took about 3 weeks and then they called to schedule the appointment to fix "the check engine light".

So my question is, is there are part that will fix the transmission or do I need to be pushing the dealer for a whole new one?

The van runs rough like it's being held back, and I do have the big clunk sometimes when I put it in reverse. I didn't even connect the dots.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Sadly, you need a new tranny. Probably a waiting list, so you'd better get your order in soon...
  • bdaddybdaddy Posts: 171
    Yea, there is a part that will fix your tranny. Unfortunately, that part is a clutch pack assembly(3rd gear if I'm not mistaken). Your dealer will remove your existing tranny and provide you with a remanufactured one. Your old unit will then get the rebuilt and ready to be dropped into another van. Wish twere easy, but it never is.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    I had the check engine light and the TCS both come on simutaneously. I called my dealer on my cellphone and drove directly there. They told me two things. 1) you have no reverse, 2) you need a new transmission. Maybe you'll get my remanufactured 99 that is being replaced. Best of luck.
  • I have a 2000 Odyssey that is a Canadian model that I bought new from a US dealer. (That is a longer story and I still feel complete had.) The van did come with a 60,000 mile 3rd party warranty.

I have ~30,000 miles on the van right now, and still love it. I don't think I am having any transmission problems, but the discussions about TCS and Check Engine make me nervous, because they do come on.

I do all my own servicing so I don't have any receipts for oil changes and the like, but I do have hand written notes. And after reading this forum I am going to change the tranny oil right away.

So the question: If I have problems, do I have any hope of getting Honda to cover the repairs???
  • petertpetert Posts: 13
    I received the Extended Transmission Warranty
    mail today. It covers 2000, 2001 Odyssey, Accord
    and Prelude to 7 years and 100,000 miles.

There is a detail description of the problems
    and a reimbersement form for who had paid for
    the tranny problems.

I had my 2000 Odyssey EX installed with a
    remanufactured transmission at 30,000 miles
    three months ago. The problem is still existing
    with the new one. I'll watch it for a while.
  • I used to own a '01 Honda Odyssey EX, which was technically my wife's van. I didn't drive it at all until about a month after we owned it. I couldn't believe just how bad it really was. The sound system is the worst that I have ever seen in a car, even though it is the most expensive one you can get in an Odyssey.

The transmission went a while ago, along with both power sliding doors (which we disabled entirely because nobody had the patience for them).

Now we just bought a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan ES, and I can't believe how much better it is. The 10 speakers with 360 watts, the sunroof, the heated leather, 3-zone automatic climate control, it's all better. The transmission is perfect (touch-wood) so far, as well. This van handles much better on the road. The power doors (and liftgate) are only power if you press the button (one major advantage over the Honda).

In conclusion, I am sorry for you and wish you the best of luck with your transmission if you bought/leased a Honda Odyssey!

• I'm back to follow up on my story. The same lights came on again after my service advisor at Honda Carland in Georgia sent me home, after the computer registered a "torque converter unit malfunction" error code.

The van (54,000 miles) was bucking, especially at lower speed, bad going uphill. My grade logic was not working. My van always banged on reverse when cold.

They confirmed the problem with the transmission after I told them all I read on the message boards about the transmission problems. I have to wait two weeks for the "re-manufactured" transmission. The service advisor said the part is basically "New", it is only called re-manufactured because it is not manufactured in the original plant the van was made.
    (I can't comprehend this?!)

I asked him if it was new, then it must be a 5- speed transmission as in the newer models. He said, "probably not, because the van would need a new computer, I will check on this for you."

This is all after paying $400(labor, parts, tax) for new front brake pads and re surfacing of all the brake drums. (This is the 3rd time I have replaced the pads)

What else can I do?? I an seriously thinking of trading it in after it's repaired.
  • 4boys4boys Posts: 1
    We have the transmission problems of all problems. Our Honda Odyssey with 10,500 miles and 6 months in service has taken a big crap in the middle of no where for the second time in one week. On our Christmas break/vacation we traveled to Los Angeles from Cedar Rapids, Iowa for a trip to Disneyland. When arriving in LA we noticed the check engine light, the TCS and the D4 (blinking) indicator on. We took to a local dealer in CA who diagnosed a failed transmission. It took them three days to get the new one in. We picked the van on Friday, 1/3 at 7 pm and headed back to Iowa. On Saturday, 1/5, the same three lights came back on. Shortly after the lights came back on the entire electrical system went out. We are now stranded in the middle of no where (Green River, UT) waiting for the dealership in Grand Junction, CO to open on Monday, 1/6. Honda customer service plus local dealer (Chezik Sayers, Iowa City, IA) was/is no help. I called Honda customer service on 12/31 after the first problem and have not received a return phone call. This story puts any story by Clark Grizwald to shame. We are concerned that the approximate $1,000 in expenses incurred will be at our expense. Any one else having the same problems. Stranded in the middle of the mountains and Canyons with 4 Boys.
  • Don't know if this is related to the transmission problems, but since last week my 2000 Odyssey has been making very loud noises whenever the TCS light comes on (and it has been coming on quite a bit due to a lot of driving in the snow the last week). Has anyone else experienced this?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    If you notice that the TCS (traction control system)light and the noise are simultaneous,and it happens when you accelerate from a stop, all is well. The noise you are hearing is the antilock brakes stopping the spinning wheel from spinning. To test this, on a snowy empty parking lot, accelerate quickly trying to spin the wheels and see if the noise and the light come on together.Then slam on the brakes and hold them and see if just the noise appears. The noise and pedal vibration is normal if the antilock brakes are working properly. If both of these tests work as described everything is ok, if not see your dealer.
  • I have a 2001 EX with 23,000 miles. I purchased the HondaCare extended warranty because of the transmission and power sliding door issues raised on the Edmunds site. Now that Honda has extended the warrranty on the transmission, shouldn't I be entitled to a rebate of some of the cost of HondaCare? How much?
  • Thanks, hayneldan. What you're describing sounds like exactly what's happening in my case.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I would not expect any refund. Plus doesn't your warranty cover items other then the transmission?
  • I've seen a lot of discussion on earlier models of the Odyssey having transmission problems after reaching ~50K miles. Has anyone experienced similar problems on the 2002 or 2003 models.

Also, has anyone placed an official complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

• dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Not sure why you would need to cmplain to the NHTSA since honda has admitted there is a problem and has extended the warranty on the 2000-2002 transmissions to 100k miles. If yu have a problem with the transmission, go to Honda. It's no secret. Supposingly the trannies were fixed for the 2003 model year. But even then you are at least covered for the next 3 years.
  • rcole1rcole1 Posts: 1
    We have an 02 Odyssey W/16K miles bought Dec 01. No warning or indicator lights, just occasional shudder and hard shift into 3rd. Dealer diagnosed for 6 hours without finding cause. Worked with Honda Technicians to find out if problem was in the computer or transmission, apparently was in transmission since Honda authorized replacement. I'm told this is one of the first 02's to have problems, but that does not appear to be the case. I'm really disappointed given the supposed quality of Honda. Even more disappointed considering I bought an 02 Acura TL-S at the same time. Although programed differently, I'm sure it is the same 5 speed transmission. I would recommend anyone who has the occasional hard shudder from their 02 Odyssey when shifting take it in for a look. My case shows you are not always going to get indicator lights when there is a problem. The service has not been bad so far. Two days to authorize replacement and I'm told it will be in next week. I will ask Honda for rental expenses.
This discussion has been closed.