Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• Had my EX transmission replaced @78K. Honda wanted 6K for the rebuilt transmission. The dealer got them to pay for 4500 of it plus the $85 for the diagnostic since the idiot light (check engine) was on. Seems like the 75% coverage is standard from American Honda.

I'm wondering if it would be 1) a good idea to ask Honda to pick up the other 1500 and have them extend the warranty on the rebuilt transmission to 100K after reading everyone else's horror stories.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thx.

'99 Honda EX owner in GA.
  • dchoppdchopp Posts: 256
    Did anyone out there check with Amco and see what they want for a repair or exchange. They use to offer lifetime warranty's on their work. They replaced the transmission on my 1988 Delta 88 and it came with a lifetime guarantee, which I put to use four years later.
  • We had or transmission replaced by the dealer. Unfortunately, its too warm now to see whether the problem is fixed. Read somewhere else that their tranny has been replaced several times without fixing the problem. Replaced engine mounts, etc.... Guess we will have to wait until next year and cross our fingers it doesnt fail....
  • macodymacody Posts: 18
    have a 99 ody with 97000 miles on it (it will be 4 years old on july 31). The transmission will be replaced on Monday at no charge to us. No, we don't have the extended warranty. We will replace the car in September/October. Had planned to trade it in in June anyway, this will delay that a bit. The tranny the dealer is putting is under warranty for 1 year, 12000 miles (which is about 4 - 5 months at our house). I have to say we didn't have to scream or insist on replacement of the tranny. They read the codes on the engine (TCS & check engine light); said it was likely the transmission; did a minor tranny repair, ($500), said if that didn't work they would contact Honda and "see what we can do". This does shake my trust of Honda reliability, but have to say I'm impressed re the treatment we've received. Looking at replacing the Odyssey with the new 2004 in September or a Pilot. Will get the extended warranty in either case. Oh, yes, I understand I've already paid $500 for overall repair. Have to say it could be MUCH worse. Paid ~$4000 for two transmissions and a head gasket for a Ford in 1998 and didn't get a dime from Ford.

mac
  • mepplermeppler Posts: 3
    I posted a message several months ago about my '99 Honda on its third transmission. I don't want to say exactly what Honda did for me, since they may do this on a case-by-case basis, but I can say they treated me very fairly. The incident increased my regard for Honda and I will definitely look there first the next time I buy a new car. Go Honda!
  • johnferjohnfer Posts: 1
    Took my LX to dealership to get tranny inspected at 60k. Dealership told me that transmission may need to be replaced. I called American Honda (since I was aware of 2000/2001 warranty extentions on the Ody) and inquired why 99 models were not included and they informed me they were different transmissions but may assist in the repairs. Can anyone give me information on what Honda did to assist??? Did they replace tranny at 100 % or just a portion?
    To update:

Transmission replaced at no additional charge to us ($500 paid previous week for solenoid in tranny). Runs so much smoother! However, check engine light came on 2 miles from the dealership on the way home. Turned around and took it back in; code was "catalytic converter deterioration". Found out (from our service manual) that the o2 sensors and converter are removed to replace tranny. Returned the car this am for recheck; Honda replaced the converter at no additional charge. Have to say, as before, that my "faith" in the reliability is somewhat shaken, but the service provided by Honda so far is great.

mac
  • blakevblakev Posts: 6
    I am currently facing arbitration with American Honda Motor Corporation concerning our 2002 Odyssey. The first transmission failed at 15K and it was annoying - we had to limp home at 30mph in 3rd gear for 70 miles with screaming kids. The second failure - at 21K - almost killed us. While cruising at 70mph on the interstate the transmission popped, whizzed and, after slowing down to 50 mph or so the front wheels locked up and we 'rode' the roller coaster to the shoulder. Nothing like see smoke in your rear view mirror as the 18 wheelers hit their brakes!

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Check my profile for my email address.

Thanks,

Blake
  • lj225lj225 Posts: 33
    Im new to the ODY... Well I dont even own one yet. But I keep reading about the tranny issues, and wondering how the 03's are doing. Is this an issue with JUST the prior model years, and has been corrected in 03 Models? Or is this type of problem to be expected in a Minivan?

I dont know kinda scares me. Just trying to learn more about the Honda cars, as I make a decision on what to get.
    I had the same question when I bought my '02. Dealers told me the problem was fixed with the NEW, 5-speed tranny. The NEW, 5-speed tranny in my Ody has failed twice in the first 21K miles.

Good Luck!

Blake
  • lapvnlapvn Posts: 455
    wow I feel sorry for you. Can you please update us on the status of your 02 Ody. The whole bit, miles, mileage, problems, and fixes.

Can you also tell me if you opted for the extended warranty. Yes/No do you recommend it, why/why not. You know the whole spiel if you don't mind.

I have an 03 Ody for one month, and I am still going back and forth on the ext. warranty. I also want to be prepared for any problems that may arise.

Thanks in advance.
  • lj225lj225 Posts: 33
    Sorry to hear about your Ody. I never really thought about it too much. But I as learn more I noticed this was problem came up alot.

Now humor me... what about other Honda cars is this an issue for them as well? Thanks again and hopefully you are good to go now.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    blakely, Go buy your Sienna and enjoy it. Luckily, the Odyssey will reward you for your troubles with excellent resale value.
  • kroliphkroliph Posts: 75
    I bought a 2003 Odyssey in October of 2002. The van has 6000 miles on it and so far I have not had any transmission problems. I bought the extended warranty just in case we did have any problems. I also installed a transmission cooler in an effort to increase longevity of transmission. So far, I have been very pleased with the van. It certainly has plenty of power and is a pleasure to drive. This is my first Honda product and I am hoping there will be no major issues with the transmission. Time will tell. I think the new Toyota and Nissan vans are certainly worth looking at and now compare directly with the Odyssey.
    The resale value of the vehicle is one reason we are in arbitration. The dealer is offering us much, much less than NADA based on the 'unique history' of the vehicle. The 'reward for my troubles' would be getting a vehicle that won't kill my family.

Thanks for your concern.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    No problem.
  • cjmillercjmiller Posts: 1
    I am now the proud owner of a dead 1999 Honda Odyssey transmission. It being my wife's car, she has been going for "Engine Service" problems since 75,000 mi, not realising the trany was slipping. Today at the 100 K Check, Honda said The trany must be replaced."Sorry, its 100,500 mi, and there is nothing we can do." Hey , if it's a known problem, why couldn't the have serviced it before it died?.
    I've never done this before , so I could use all the help I can get. Repair? Rebuild? Complain? Bug Honda? Go to AAMCO?
    Thanks all for listening... cjm
    Keep after Honda to repair the tranny. We didn't have to fight or argue; had 97000 miles (approx) when tranny failed. Repair was covered. (replaced with rebuit tranny). Out of pocket was about $500 (included a motor mount repair). We did not have the extended warranty. This also has to do with the dealer you're using. Honda is covering the repair for the most part; just keep after them.

Good luck.

mac
  • gessgess Posts: 90
    Well, I have been around this forum since the beginning. I bought my Odyssey in Oct./98 and was hoping I would be spared the dreaded tranny failure. I have about 50k and last week the check engine light went on. The tranny is being replaced as we speak. I am very fortunate that I had 4 months left on the warranty.

Needless to say, I am done with this vehicle.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,326
    Does this now mean that if my tranny goes I have to sue you because you spoke well of them?

Man, that is sad. Guess I should be thinking about extending the warranty on mine....
This discussion has been closed.