Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

sawhneyvsawhneyv Posts: 1
edited March 21 in Honda
I am an all out Odyssey fan.

I was very excited when I took delivery of my 2002 EX-L RES after waiting for full six months after I had booked it. Owned a 2001 LX earlier which never gave me any problem.

However, less than two months of taking delivery of this one, one day I suddenly got severe jerks while driving and the engine malfunction light came on. Took it to the dealer immediately. They took all the time in the world diagnosing and ultimately replaced the transmission. The vehicle stayed in shop, out of service, for full 30 days.

Does any else ever faced similar problem ? Can I file a lemon law claim ?

Comments

• ohloneohlone Posts: 55
    haven't heard of problems arising on the 2002 model.

Mine was purchased and built in June this year - built in Alabama. I've had no problems through 3k miles.

Maybe it was the last one built on a Friday, when everyone is in a hurry to get out of dodge.
  • bowkebowke Posts: 169
    the one part of honda that is equal to all other manufacturers is their automatic trannys...for some reason, all manufacturers have similar problems with them, and in similar numbers. however, if they replaced the tranny, nothing more should go wrong with it, judging by the odds. honda may buy the car back from you to do research, and furnish you a brand new one at no charge, but only if they cannot fix the problem at all...enjoy the fact that this was done under warranty, and that it was only 30 days...ford, GM, and Chrysler would have taken 2-3 months. enjoy your honda...you were one of the unluckys that had to deal with this problem, but it sounds like you came out of it relatively unscathed.
  • jagelsjagels Posts: 2
    Just found out my 1999 Ody. w/69,000 miles on it had an "internal failure" in the transmission. It was making a loud "thunk" and the whole front would jerk when in reverse.

Since I have no extended warranty, and we are well beyond the 30,000 mile included warranty, we are stuck w/the replacement cost. Our dealer worked out a deal w/Honda, and they have agreed to pay 75% of the cost of a remanufactured trans. The other thing is that remanufactured trannies are on backorder from Ohio, and it will be two weeks before my van will be fixed.

Does this sound fishy to anyone besides me? Why is Honda paying for 75%, why not all? And why do they have so many trans. on backorder?
    a remanufactured tranny has to start with 1 key component...a used one to remanufacture...so if there arent many to remanufacture, it will be like a replacement organ...you have to wait for 1 to die before you get theirs, as yours will be remanufactured after it is removed. the 75% thing should be a godsend, as they really dont have to give you any of it, since your warranty is up. most people never have enough problems to need an extended warranty, but the occasional unlucky soul ends up seeing a different value in an extended warranty. count your blessings, and enjoy the rest of your vans life.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    You must be kidding; haven't you heard of the salvage market?? Since when is Honda from heaven, anyway. Sounds more like the van from hell.
    the salvage market derpends on 1 thing, like i said: salvaged parts. how many '99-'01 odysseys are in a salvage yard, smart guy? you have to get 1 salvaged before you can reman any part, as honda only makes enough new ones for the factory to use on new cars...no extras. in addition, out of all the odysseys sold, how many have actually had this problem? you only hear about the ones that fail.
    is it an issue for honda to look into? maybe.
    is it a problem for lots of them? no
    van from hell?!?! not even close.

every manufacturer...yes, even honda...has bugs every now and again, and unfortunately, the person that posted to this discussion is one of the few unlucky ones.
  • xafxaf Posts: 37
    Any back order suggests that demand for transmissions is greater than the junk yards can supply. Makes me think that more transmissions are crapping out than vans are being written off.

As the Ody's age there will be more transmissions needed. Might be time to get that resale value on the Ody, before everyone is aware of the reliability issues and the resale decreases.
    the bck orders could stem from either...but logic dictates that after only 3 years of use, there are just not that many salvaged. the new tranny will be in even shorter supply, since its a totally different piece of equipment. the 4-speed auto used from '99-'01 will never be built again, so i say again...back orders will rely on newly totalled vans that still have operable trannys.
  • xafxaf Posts: 37
    With limited parts available, the cost of repairs will increase.

As the Ody ages more transmissions will break, then the "value" of the Ody will decrease.

I guess the Ody will end up being the relative no one talks about in the Honda family. Quick sell the Ody before its too late :).
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    Being a smart guy I figure they probably get plenty cores from US, Canada and third world countries where these little vans are used as taxis.
  • dchoppdchopp Posts: 256
    Why don't you just have the dealer repair it as most GM and Ford dealers do?
    i was responding to a post that the dealer had to order a remanufactured tranny for him...if the dealer remans it, which they are capable of doing, it would take just as long as the reman would to come off backorder. one of our techs is doing this very same thing as we speak. i dont think this will hurt the odyssey in the long run, but i do agree that honda should do some work on it soon. heck, hondas tranny reliability is down with everyone else's now!!! lol.
  • My 2000 EX has noise from the transmission since
    its delivery while driving at around 50 MPH.

After I read post #2116, etc. I mentioned this
    to a service advisor at one regular maintainence.
    They found this is a problem and placed a
    "back order" on a remanufactured transmission.
    Like someone sadi there are so many back orders
    with the transmission, Honda must have its own
    design or manufacture fault with the transmission.

My question is, how can the customers like me to push Honda issue a recall on this kind of transmission or get a new transmission, or get the back orders go fast.

As this noise is very hard to notice or distinguish from the road noise, I believe there
    should be more Odyssey having this problem.

I'm thinking to file a complaint against it to
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
    Since some times the rpm jumpping up and down
    in this situiation. That's dangous on highway
    when driving at 50 MPH.

Thanks for any suggestion.
    Thanks the people who
    posted the transmission problems on this board.
    Thanks the HOST, thanks all.
  • Well, I'm joining the club... My 99 EX has a transmission problem. The Honda Service folks are stating that the lack of changing of the transmission fluid caused this result? What?? It has 52k miles on it!! Anyway, I am in the early stages of dealing with Honda,, would anybody be nice enough to give some advice. thx
  • I would try to get your service rep. to negotiate something with the Honda Corporation. They know that something is going on with the trannys in that model. I would NOT recommend calling the customer service department for Honda America. They were the rudest people I have spoken to in a long time, and basically said that if I sent a complaint letter to Honda they just might rescind their original offer of picking up 75% of the cost.

After 2 weeks, I am still waiting for my reman. tranny. Might be in tomorrow.

Good luck.
  • Honda has finally acknowledged there is a problem, but they refuse to recall them!!

From the LA Times,

"Mike Spencer, a spokesman for Acura, Honda's sport-luxury division, confirmed that there has been a "higher than normal incidence" of problems with two Honda-built automatic transmissions. Although many involve high-performance models such as the 260-horsepower Acura Type-S, others afflict 200-horsepower V-6 Honda Accords and 240-horsepower Odyssey minivans not usually associated with racing and speeding abuses.

The two transmissions are the five-speed used in V-6-equipped Acuras since the 2000 model year and in Honda Odysseys since the 2002 model year; and the four-speed automatic used in V-6 Honda Accords since 2000 and in 2000 and 2001 Odysseys. "
    the reason there is a back order on remanned trannys is that they are no longer produced new, so honda has to wait for one to be removed from an odyssey to be remanufactured. as you can undoubtedly imagine, there may be a few odysseys waiting on the others to be removed, all delaying each other... the only thing that will really catch the back-order up is using trannys from totalled or salvaged vans that wont be getting a replacement. kinda like waiting for someone to die to get a liver transplant...lol.
  • dkrabdkrab Posts: 77
    The idea that a backlog is created because the older transmission is out of production cannot be correct; the old and new transmissions share the same case. If rebuild parts are in short supply, ORDER MORE! Just because they don't install the exact tranny in the vans anymore does not mean they don't make the parts. I have a 92 Accord and can still buy NEW parts for it!

Two possible senarios:

1) Too many Ody's need tranny transplants, Honda can't keep up!

2) Not that many need new trannys, so Honda doesn't consider it a priority.

Neither makes Honda look very good. There is simply no good excuse to make a customer wait weeks for a new tranny to perform warranty work, period. Take a new one off the line if you must, but get a transmission to the customer who trusted your company to build a product worthy of his very hard earned money. A poorly served customer won't long BE a customer.
This discussion has been closed.