Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• allan444allan444 Posts: 1
    Where I live in NJ auto theft is an increasing problem . In view of the wide spread theft of the new high intensity headlights in our state, I was wondering how easily/hard it would be to steal the battery on the hybrid?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Just a bit harder than stealing the engine of a car. It's a restricted area, and requires alot of work to get to, to just pull it out.

Aside from that, what need would someone have with a battery system that can't regenerate itself, unless it has the other components involved ?
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    A journalist is looking for a person who is in the market to buy a hybrid vehicle. If you care to be interviewed, please respond with your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, July 11.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gelijellygelijelly Posts: 2
    A couple of days ago I test drove a new Escape and I mentioned to the salesman that I was very interested in the Hybrid. He told me that Ford was thinking of pulling it because it was not doing well in fleet sales at all. Just something he mentioned, he didn't seem sure about it though.
    You mean the Escape Hybrid? I don't see that as possible considering they haven't been introduced into the market yet. This fall, it'll go to fleet sales first, THEN beginning of next year, to regular customers.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Anyone have color swatches on the Hybrid? I would really like to see an Escape Hybrid other than the one they showed at the New York International Car Show.
  • so there are none with fleets. I think the sales consultant was mistaken.

The Ford website says available "late summer 2004"

Go to www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid
    that's what Ford always does. (The General and Chrysler; for that matter.)
    There were last minute issues with the Escape Hybrid, and being the new 2005 Escape's JOB1 date was around the corner, they decided to push it so it coincides with the 2005 Escape's instead of having them be introduced in 2004, considering they would have had the 005 models come in a month after.

At first it was going to fleet sales, but they have decided to just attack the mass market first. This decision (to do fleet first) was so there would be more control if the first batch of Escape Hybrid's would have had an issue/recall, etc. But since the above issue the firstly delayed things has been fixed to their satisfaction, then they decided on the second route, mass market.
    won't be long after we have a Saturn VUE green-line edition.
    It won't be long after the escape, that is.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I've never driven a quirkier car than the Vue.
    the perfect candidate for a Hybrid.
    I had a friend who almost bought a VUE. Because of her major issue with leasing a previous Saturn, and having them absorb the extra milage, she HAD to get another Saturn model. She was wanting an Escape so they lent her the VUE overnight.

One drive in the highway at 60MPH with that artificially fake electric steering killed the deal. It felt as if the vehicle was in every which lane, without any control or feedback. Rear glasslight didn't open seperatly (takes away from utility and versatility), interior plastics were typical GM tupperware, and lacked toys for the price they were asking.

Instead she got an L300 which she's very satisfied with. NOT exactly what she wanted overall, and thinks for the money it lacks features and quality, but considering the issue she was in she HAD to get another Saturn.
    is that most of their cars are not very well, up to Honda and Toyota levels. The L300 is getting the Epsilon platform, while the VUE, who knows. the ION will need to wait.
    Vue I believe is on the Theta platform, I believe that's what it's called. It's not a bad vehicle overall compared to most (V6 a plus), and I would take it over a CRV or Rav4 JUST because it has a V6 option. YET it drove horribly bad because of the electric steering, something I found equally dissatisfying in the new ION.

I drive my friends L300 quite a bit when she feels too tired to drive, and "for a Saturn" I'm mildly impressed by it. The V6 engine is a powerful little jewel, the transmission shifts effortly, and with this years performance upgrades, it handles very well for a FWD vehicle. My only beef's have been the power window switches are NOT on the door panel as they should be, some hard plastic interior pieces (typical), and the doors (because they are polymer plastic) have huge gap/seams between body panels, and they rattle quite a bit when you close them (like Passats which I dislike).

Naturally there's other vehicles in it's class I would pick over this, but overall it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
    It isn't a bad car. Some cars are worse out there. Consumer Reports makes it out for us to think that the Saturn L300 is the worst car in the world. Even though I would buy a L300 over a Taurus just because you don't see an L300 at every stoplight whereas the Tauruses, Camrys, and Accords literally invade the stoplight.
    I don't bother with Consumer Reports, I'm well aware how they gather their information, and they are extremly biased.
    I bought a subscription for all the other ratings. Fridges, Dishwashers, TVs, etc......
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You don't think they have a bias there too?