Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    I think diesels are going to be big within the decade. The CRD Liberty outweighs the Escape Hybrid by 500-600 lbs. and has a half liter more of displacement with a turbocharger, yet it still gets 22 and 27 for ratings. In the real world, however, it actually beats the Escape on the highway. PM just ran a test and it got 23 and 31, and the Escape got 29 and 29. I'd like to see the ratings on the Escape with the Jeep powerplant, given it is much lighter. I'd be willing to bet it would meet and probably exceed the Escape Hybrids numbers, without the penalties of driving a hybrid.

I recently test drove the diesel Liberty and I was very surprised at how quiet and powerful it is. I'm probably going to go with a CR-V, but if the Liberty were cheaper, I might consider it more seriously. As it is, the CR-V gets the same ratings on mileage, has more interior room, and is safer and cheaper.
  • Options
    stevewastevewa Member Posts: 203
    You: It doesn't matter about the speed, you'll NEVER make up the cost of fuel with a hybrid vehicle. You could drive any vehicle 40-50 MPH, and you'd be surprised what your mileage is. People driving hybrids are just generally more aware of their driving habits than the average driver, which is the reason they bought the vehicle in the first place. Regardless, just when you are getting close to making up the cost, if you ever do, you'll have to replace the batteries.

Me: You have confused what I'm saying. I'm saying a person who drives 25K miles a year will recoup more of their investment than someone who drives 5K miles a year. I said nothing about driving speeds. I don't doubt people driving hybrids are more aware of their driving habits than most drivers. However, my previous vehicle had instantaneous feedback on MPG just like the Prius and Escape do. I still could not get the mileage from it I can get in either of the other cars. And here's an FYI for you. Toyota has yet to replace a battery pack in a Prius due to the batteries wearing out. They've had vehicles on the road in Japan since 1998 and there are cars in Taxi service in Canada with multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

You: You're right, the Escape doesn't come on skinny tires, but the Civic and the Prius DO. The Prius is definitely the poster child for fuel savings, but the tradeoffs aren't realistic for someone like me, who lives in Minnesota. You can't drive on the skinny tires, you HAVE to warm your car up during the 5+ months when there is snow on the ground, and most of my driving is done on the highway, where the gains are minimal (again).

Me: Actually in most winter driving condition skinny tires are BETTER than wide ones. There are a number of people who own Prius in the upper midwest who report minimal winter driving problems, especially when the OE tires are replaced with better ones (even if they stick with the stock size). Sure the fuel economy isn't as good in the winter, but that's true for all cars, not just hybrids. And if you do drive longer distances which give the engine a chance to fully warm up your mileage losses would be less than someone who doesn't drive as far on each trip.

If you want to compare apples to apples, please show me a conventional SUV of similar size to the Escape that can get 30MPG in mixed driving. They don't exist. We have Escape owners who are getting significantly better than EPA in mixed driving, even in the AWD model.

Re: tax incentives. The federal deduction is $2000 (it was extended in 2004). Oregon's tax CREDIT is $1500. Some states forgive sales tax on hybrids. Others let you take a deduction on the price difference between the hybrid and an equivalent conventional vehicle. Some waive emissions testing. Others allow using HOV lanes. There are a variety of programs running.

Re: Diesel. I live on a bluff overlooking an industrial park that sees a lot of trucking and rail activity. Heavy diesel usage.

If you look at a map of the area and overlay cancer occurrances my neighborhood has a higher occurrance than the surrounding areas. Diesel exhaust is the number one pollutant in the air samples taken here. I don't think diesel is so great, thank you very much!
  • Options
    hybd4mehybd4me Member Posts: 5
    Hi All - "Miles to Empty 0" tonight but my Escape Hybrid FWD takes only 13 gallons gas. That says there's 2 gallons of cushion in the indicator which is close to 60 miles for my driving. Am I right? Is that what others are seeign? Has anyone out there pushed the tank to absolute empty?
  • Options
    One driver in another forum literally ran the Escape Hybrid out of gas. He got a few miles past "0" and was able to cram 14.5 gallons into the tank. Not recommended.
  • Options
    hybd4mehybd4me Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the response. No one wants to run out of gas but it sounds like I can go another 30-35 miles before diving into a station. That's almost 10% of the range of the car when the computer tells me 0%. Can you give me a link to the comment in the "other forum?" Thanks again.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you own a hybrid vehicle and live in New England, a reporter would love to hear about your experience.
    Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by May 1, 2005 with your daytime contact info and any brief comments you care to share via e-mail.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    sdctchersdctcher Member Posts: 21
    The Ordering Guide for the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid is now available in PDF form (Send me an email if you want a copy). It seems that Ford is listening to us consumers and they have added some serious options for the next model, due for first deliveries around the first of June, 2005.

The Hybrid version of the Escape has most of the features available on the conventional gas Escape but also has some features exclusive to the Hybrid.

There is little change in the base prices. The FWD (Front-Wheel Drive) Version comes in at $26,900.00 and the AWD(All-Wheel Drive) is now $28,525.00.

The prices for the 2005 options are changed some with the 110v Outlet $180, Cargo Cover $75, Rear Floor Mats $25, Safety Package $595, and Leather Group $595.

New for 2006 is another exterior color - Black Clearcoat Metallic (UA), in addition to those that were offered for 2005. The 2005 colors were Dark Shadow Grey, Titanium Green, Red Fire, Silver Metallic, and Black.

The Appearance Package (47C) that was an option in 2005 is still available for 2006. This package offers A-Glass Silver Metallic fascias, body side cladding and wheel lip moldings, and A-Gloss body color door handles and liftgate garnish. A monochromatic look is achieved when Silver Clearcoat Metallic (YN) is ordered with the Appearance Package.

Also available again is the Leather Comfort Group (63G) which includes leather-wrapped steering wheel and leather trimmed seats.

The Safety Package (85S) which offers side air bags is unchanged as an option.

Now for the exciting part. New for 2006 is the Premium Package (18M) which offers the following comforts and luxuries: Monochromatic appearance, premium leather-trimmed seats, heated front seats, heated side view mirrors, reverse sensing system, Hybrid Energy Audio & Navigation System, A/C 110v power outlet, cargo retractable cover and rear floor mats. The price for all of this is $3495.00

The other exciting news is that the moonroof (43M) we have been asking for is now available for the incredible price of $585.00. WOW!

Again in 2006, the Trailer Towing Hitch must be purchased and installed from the after-market (email me for a PDF Guide to the available hitches). Likewise the optional step side bars and the cargo floor hooks.

According to my sources, dealers have been taking orders now for about the last three weeks. My own dealer told me he is well ahead of his volume from last year at this point after three weeks.

I am hoping to be amongst the first to be able to test drive and compare the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid with my own 2005 soon. Stay tuned !
  • Options
    mikesgirlmikesgirl Member Posts: 4
    In Iowa, they are selling as fast as they come in (which means only the top dealers have gotten 1 each so far)- I was told the waiting list is 1 year now.
  • Options
    escapeinseattlescapeinseattl Member Posts: 2
    Please point me to where I can get instructions on resetting the mpg average.

I have had my Escape hybrid for 550 miles and love it. My driving has become much more mileage conscious now that I have immediate feedback on the effects of accelaration rate and mileage.

I have had a hard time finding things like cargo area liners and other accessories, especially from the dealer. Everyone seems to forget that the hybrid has a different cargo area. Getting a hitch receiver to hold a bike rack and the afore mentioned cargo liner has been a comedy of errors on the part of the dealer.
  • Options
    doccdocc Member Posts: 24
    If you are talking about the Navigation System equipped Escape, you just press the Reset button on the display when fuel economy is being displayed.

I'm interested in a bike rack for my Escape Hybrid. I'd be interested in what you learned, both about the hitch receiver and the rack itself.

Jim
  • Options
    Ford does not have a hitch for the hybrid. There are two solutions currently that I'm aware of...a modified Curt 2.5 hitch (2" receiver) modified by hitch-web.com to allow clearance for the problem AC lines, and a new application coming from Hidden Hitch, apparently to be available in May.
  • Options
    falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    Apparently you don't live in NY. If it's yellow, I don't care if it's a Yugo... I'm hailing it and dealing with it. Your comment about "small cabs" belonging in 3rd word countries was quite foolish. Just imagine if all the cabs in NYC alone were more fuel efficient. I'd have NO problem sitting in the back of an FEH going to JFK. Truly shows how narrow minded gary really is. :confuse:
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Apparently you don't live in NY. If it's yellow, I don't care if it's a Yugo

If I walk out of the airport and there is a Yugo and a Town Car with the same charges on the side of the cab, what kind of fool would get into the Yugo?
    My distaste for the Escape Hybrid comes from getting stuck with one by Budget rent a car. It was not what I rented and was paying for. They tried to claim it was the same size as the Explorer that I rented. I want to get what I pay for. If the Yugo was half the price of the Town Car and the trip was not too long I would consider taking it. Not in NYC, though. I have survived quite well without going there and that suits me just fine. I see all of NYC I need on TV.
  • Options
    The primary reasons to want a hybrid relate to saving natural resources, reducing smog, reducing dependence on oil supplies, etc. Those same reasons apply whether you are buying a vehicle or renting one (as in a cab ride).

Jim
  • Options
    falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    ...and Ive seen all of California I want to see!!! Nice place to visit........ I once received an Escape as a loaner. Not a bad vehicle at all. Surprised you believe the counter person that the Escape was the same size of the Explorer. Thought you knew better. :surprise:
  • Options
    Those same reasons apply whether you are buying a vehicle or renting one

I don't disagree with that. As a matter of fact if a cab driver offers to take me home in an Escape Hybrid for $25 and the guy with the Lincoln Town Car wants $35, I will accept the discomfort of the Escape to save money. I would not take the hybrid and pay the same amount so the cabby can save money on his gas. Of course in San Diego that is a moot point as the Cabs are mostly CNG which is cleaner than the hybrid.
  • Options
    escapeinseattlescapeinseattl Member Posts: 2
    The dealer and a local car rack place both referred me to a local shop, TorkLift in Kent, WA that custom makes hitches for the Escape Hybrid. I am going with them rather than the auto-web solution. My understanding from the car rack shop is that the auto-web hitch receiver is a standard Escape receiver customized by by auto-web to accomodate the Hybrid wiring harness.

Cost of the custom hitch receiver and wiring will be just over $400 and will take a day to install because of the custom fitting.

Since towing capacity is 1000 pounds, I am restricting myself to a flip down bike rack for two bikes and a lightweight flip up platform for cargo.

I figure if I get a roof rack I will be more likely to leave it in place even when I don't need it. By going with a hitch receiver and racks to fit in them I figure I am reducing drag and reducing the risk of having my bike or other cargo swept off by low hanging limbs or garage openings.

I have a weekend and vacation place in the mountains so haul gasoline and kerosene for the generator and lights. I am getting too old to heft 5 gallon cans onto the roof, and I definitely do not want them inside.
  • Options
    csg1csg1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning on ordering a 2006 Escape Hybrid but I'm having trouble getting information about the "monochromatic appearance" available with the premium package. My local dealer tells me I would have to order the silver color to obtain the monochromatic appearance. Do you know anything about that?

I haven't been able to find any pictures of the 2006 model either.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Years ago, I used a simple strap-on rack that fastened to the hatchback. It was lightweight and went on and off easily. It held three bikes.

I've looked at the options for the Escape hybrid and--considering the cost of the modified hitch receiver--I am going to go with another strap-on carrier. The only real disadvantage is that it blocks opening the hatch door, and I guess it is harder to lock the bikes and rack to the vehicle. An advantage is that it is completely and almost instantly removable. And did I mention it is really cheap? :)

I'm also nervous about destroying my bikes by mounting them on a roof rack and striking a branch or overhang.

Incidentally. I understand about those 5-gal gas cans, but if the towing limit is 1000 lb, that may be because the tongue weight limit is 100 lb. That would mean you could only have the bikes, rack, platform, and fuel cans total 100 lb! Maybe someone else knows for sure what the limit on tongue weight is.

Jim
  • Options
    als1als1 Member Posts: 1
    How about posting a link to the PDF of the 2006 order form?

Thanks.
  • Options
    cdoldcdold Member Posts: 34
    "I am starting to think about the Escape hybrid. I drive a lot of miles so the mpg will pay off for me."

Compared to what?
    My Dodge Durango was getting 13mpg, so the normal Escape would have been a bit of an improvement, but not enough to get me to buy one. The Escape Hybrid AWD is 27.5 overall, 36 city, 30-33 highway for 8100 miles so far.

My Civic Hybrid CVT is 46, 39, 48-60 over 45000 miles.
    If you have lots of highway miles, the Civic will be far better. City commute is close to a tossup. Real stop and go, I think the Escape might be better, because of the all-electric verses an idle stop that leaves the engine running in creeping traffic.

With the Civic, there is one stretch of rural road that I travel frequently. if I run 60-65mph, which is my "normal" speed, I get 48mpg. If I set the cruise control at 50mph, I can get 60.2 over a 38 mile stretch.

I like the Escape a lot, but I also like the mileage in the Honda.
    Both are fine cars for me.
  • Options
    "The dealer and a local car rack place both referred me to a local shop, TorkLift in Kent, WA that custom makes hitches for the Escape Hybrid. "

I called the closest hitch place to my house. Turns out they do a lot of work for the local dealers, and have already done 20 Escape Hybrids.
    They cut a Hidden Hitch, add some gussets, and go.
    They charge an additional $35 for the hybrid modification, which fits around the cooling hoses on the left frame rail.
  • Options
    bobv1bobv1 Member Posts: 4
    The most gas I have been able to put in is 11.6 gallons. The gauges are kind of crude. I get 50 miles for the first quarter and 100 miles to the half but then 325 miles to empty. It would be nice if the gauge was 180 degrees instead of 90 degrees and had narrower, more precise dial. Two more useable gallons would be nice.
  • Options
    talariatalaria Member Posts: 16
    stevewa, it has been awhile since I visited but thanks for the info about the lower control arm. As my wife and I will probably never take the Escape off road I am comfortable that it will not be an issue.

Good news local dealer now has a 2005 Hybrid with exactly what we want, safety, appearance, 110 volt and the leather package. No 4 WD and no navigator. Bad news, the color is not exactly what we wanted.

We were thinking of silver for the monochromatic look but now I am curious if anyone knows if the monochromatic apprearence feature mentioned as part of the premium package for the 2006 Escape Hybrid means that all the colors will now be available in monochromatic. If not, which ones other than silver which is already available for 2005.

I can't be sure as the 2006 specs listed mention the current 2005 monochromatic appearance can be obtained by ordering silver but then monochromatic appearance is mentioned again as part of the premium package without being specific if other colors will be available.
  • Options
    gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    Does any one know if there is any special maintenance that needs to be done to the Ford Escape Hybrid and what it costs. Can it be done by a DIYourselfer. I have always maintained my cars myself
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    That's a "old school" way of thinking. Modern cars (since about 1995) have become more increasingly complex and require a factory trained dealer and the shop computers they use to be correctly maintained. Other than your basic oil change type stuff, I mean....

I would advise against buying a hybrid if you think you are going to do all the maint yourself.... :D
  • Options
    The only way to get a monochrome look in a 2005 is to get Silver with the Appearance Package. If you do not order Appearance package you will get dark grey (matte finish) for the lower section.

In 2006 you can get monocrome look in any color with the Premium package...essentially the same as the Limited trim level in the V6 Escape. In the non-Premium you can still get the silver Appearance Package option.
  • Options
    Frankly if you look at the service guide for the Escape there's precious little in the way of routine maintenance to do besides oil and filter changes, plus the occaisional set of spark plugs and coolant changes.

Certainly you can do those things yourself if you choose. Hardest part so far is getting the various filters (the small filter for the rear AC evaporator appears to be the hardest one to come by so far).
  • Options
    Your dealer is reading off the 2005 ordering guide. (s)he probably doesn't even know about the premium package.
  • Options
    1141: "I have always maintained my cars myself ."

In the past, I have rebuilt Mazda rotaries, rebuilt piston engines, and I've always done the tuneup items and changed oil.
    I stopped most of that with the 90's and newer cars. I don't even change oil anymore because it's just too much trouble.

The Escape Hybrid has a four cylinder engine, virtually identical to the non-hybrid version. The spark plugs need to be replaced at 100,000 miles, oil and oil filter every 10,000 miles.

I might be up for that... probably not though. I think I'll let someone else do it.
    http://www.genuineflmservice.com/ has the schedules and manuals for download.
  • Options
    stevewa, again thanks for the info. I was hoping when I posted this time I would be able to say I had joined the club. But it appears greed and lying is what is important to car dealers rather than customer satisfaction.

After having so much trouble making the local Ford dealers understand that when I say silver with appearance pkg., safety pkg. and leather that is what I mean my wife and I started looking outside the Sacramento area Wednesday night. ( At least as of Wednesday evening no Ford dealers in the area were adding a dealer markup to the hybrid but FWD and color selection with leather was getting poor. Lots of 4WD though.)

Found the exact Escape Hybrid Thursday morning except it had the nav which we really don't want but we were willing to take at this point in time.

But after being told by two different salesmen at a Fresno Ford dealer ,who were helping me by phone, that they do not add a dealer markup to the Hybrid I received a call, a few hours after making an appointment with the salesman to drive down to Fresno on Saturday, from the internet manager who started giving me the run around and then adding insult to injury informed me that there would be a 4000 to 5000 dollar markup on the vehicle. When I called back to speak to the salesman, reception confirmed he had gone home earlier as he had told me he was going to do.

When the salesman called me this afternoon, Friday, to confirm the appointment tomorrow I was surprised he had not heard that the internet manager had screwed him out of a commission. He was pretty upset and I told him I would still come down if there was a guarantee of no markup. Unfortunately he did not call back.

My wife was furious yesterday but has a friend in Fresno who went over to the dealer and checked on the markup. NO markup indicated on their Hybrids and a salesman, the friend pretended to be interested in the vehicle, indicated NO markup.

No wonder in the newspaper today it was reported that Ford's bonds were given a junk rating. I know the dealers can do what they want but why would Ford want to put the health of their company at the mercy of AH's like that. I can only image how many sales they have lost due to dishonest and misleading tactics yet they can not or will not do anything about it.

I don't want a Saturn setup and I am willing to take my chances as long as they are honest up front about 3 things. (1) there is no dealer markup. (2) the color and options are actually there when they say they are. ( I am not talking about 2 days later I am talking about when I call and drive right over. It infuriates me to drive over and have some color blind idiot tell me that a gun metal grey Hybrid is silver!!!!!!! Or I know it does not have the leather I told you it had but we will put it in right on top of the side airbags.!!!!!!!!!) (3) No added points to the percentage Ford credit is giving us (we are already preapproved by Ford Credit) by the dealer. Already scratched one Sacramento dealer for that scam even though they had the Hybrid we wanted.

Although we would prefer the Escape Hybrid we have also been looking at the RAV4 and CR-V since we could not find exactly what we were looking for in an Escape and none of those dealers played those games.

Apparently not enough people are willing to walk out so they continue to hope the suckers are unable to resist and buy despite the games. I have never been an impulse buyer.

Fortunately we had already sold our Suburban and Lincoln before the gas problems really hit and our other two 2002 cars get great mileage so we are just going to take our time.

At this time we have decided to wait until the 2006 are out and use our credit unions program to locate and purchase cars. Better interest rate anyway.

Maybe by fall we will be in the club but I'll keep checking in on the forum.
  • Options
    1147: Dealers selling over MSRP in Sacramento Area

It's a bit of a drive, but nice country over here...
    Jimmy Vasser Ford in Calistoga (94515) does not charge over MSRP for anything.
    I bought my 2005 Escape Hybrid at MSRP.
    It's a small dealership. I got the only 2005. I don't know what 2006 allocations might be.
  • Options
    cdold, thanks for the tip. Jimmy Vasser's (Indy Car / CART driver?, used to race IMSA GTP/Lights myself) is out but the zip brings up a dealer with Titanium Green that is almost a perfect fit. A color my wife likes but she really wants monochromatic. So for 2005 its Silver or wait for 2006 for other colors.

You right though, it is nice country over there. Daughters at Bezerkely :D and we are going to visit her next weekend before finals start maybe we will extend our search area.

Going to be at the Marina Village Boat Show next weekend after seeing her anyway so we could just extend and head over your way.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    zadscmczadscmc Member Posts: 5
    Why, then, does the dealer try and try again to get me in at 3500 miles?
  • Options
    I guess this a reply to my own reply. Amazing that after the games from one Fresno dealer I actually received a call from an honest dealer in Fresno who happens to have the exact 2005 Escape Hybrid we wanted. No markup, etc. Note the past tense however. My wife was so ticked off, I was too, that she put in an order for the 2006 through her credit union rather than put up with the games.

Of course we will have to wait a bit until the 2006 models arrive at the dealers so the company that works with the credit union can locate one for us but at least we will not have to put up with the aggravation.

Has anyone actually ordered a 2006? If so, can you confirm the prices mentioned in other posts? For instance, base price $26900.00 etc. I have a copy of Fords marketing strategy and mix recommendations which confirms the new features but no prices are mentioned.

Wish she would go back to the RAV4 or CR-V so we could take the money we would save and do a bareboat charter and diving in the BVI this year instead of waiting until next. Got to go every two to three years to stay sane.

And if you have ordered a 2006 what is the expected delivery date?
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A discussion has been added in our Prices Paid & Buying Experiences message board to discuss pricing of the Escape Hybrid.

Ford Escape Hybrid: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences
  • Options
    Because the service interval of your Escape Hybrid is causing a dangerous imbalance in his Service Dept. balance sheet... :P

Dealers frequently "reccomend" service that is totally not required to maintain your warranty. They do it because they can, and it's essentially free money for them. Sadly it also results in a tremendous waste of resources...think of all the motor oil that gets wasted because it's changed out far before it's worn out.
  • Options
    ouhybridouhybrid Member Posts: 3
    We ordered a 2005 Escape Hybrid in January. After waiting 4 months, we were told that the 2006 Escape Hybrids were orderable. Since the order had not yet been placed at the factory (we were on a waiting list), we were able to change our order to a 2006 with the premium package and a moon roof. We received a VIN in late April and our Escape Hybrid was built the week of May 2. We received our 2006 Escape Hybrid yesterday (May 13)! :shades:

Base price for 2006 4WD 28,525.00
    Premium Package 3,495.00
    (Monocromatic Appearance Package, Leather Steering Wheel, Heated Power Side View Mirrors, AC 110V Outlet, Retractable Cargo Cover, Energy Audiophile & Nav System, Rear Floor Mats, Premium Heated Leather Seats)
    Moon Roof 585.00
  • Options
    sdctchersdctcher Member Posts: 21
    I have a PDF copy of the current dealer price list if anyone wants a copy.

As you can see our dealers are doing OK, even before their premium mark-ups.

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Price List
    (4-22-05)
    Base FWD:
    Dealer Price $23,962
    Dealer Invoice W/Holdback $24,999
    Suggested Retail $26,900
    Base AWD:
    Dealer Price $25,392
    Dealer Invoice W/Holdback $26,478
    Suggested Retail $28,525

Options: Dealer Price (DP) Dealer Invoice (DI) Suggested Retail (MSRP)
    Leather DP - $518 DI - $536 MSRP - $595
    Appearance DP - $544 DI - $563 MSRP - $625
    Safety DP - $518 DI - $536 MSRP - $595
    Premium DP - $3,041 DI - $3,146 MSRP - $3,495
    Moonroof DP - $509 DI - $527 MSRP - $585
    110V Outlet DP - 157 DI - $162 MSRP - $180
    Cargo Cover DP - $65 DI - $67 MSRP - $75
    Floormats DP - $22 DI - $23 MSRP - $25
    Mach Audio DP - $518 DI - $536 MSRP - $595

NAV/Audio DP - $1,523 DI - $1,576 MSRP - $1,750
  • Options
    dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    Kneejerk reaction. Service folks training, I guess. Except for a tire rotation at 5000 miles, all Escape Hybrid service is at 10,000 mile intervals. That's according to the normal service regimen as seen at genuineflmservice.com
  • Options
    Dealers frequently "reccomend" service that is totally not required

Very good advice. Read your factory manual and go by that service schedule. The truth is all cars are going longer between service schedules. It does make it difficult to keep good mechanics (technicians) on the payroll. Small dealerships are hard pressed to keep their people trained on all the new technology.
  • Options
    jimlanejimlane Member Posts: 2
    I got 29 mpg on my first tank. Mine is 3 weeks old. Any others had a different experience?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consider buying a hybrid? Reconsider after you learned about the long wait? Whether or not you chose to add your name to the waiting list, a reporter is hoping to hear your perspective. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by May 27, 2005.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    Well, I did it! Squeezed just about every drop of gas out of the Hybrid and got a 501-mile tank! This with combined city/slow rural/high-speed highway driving!
    Escape tank is about 15 gallons. That's about 33 MPG. Not bad.
    :)
  • Options
    I originally posted this in the hybrid buying experience thread but no respose. We love our 2005 Escape Hybrid and we are glad we did not wait to order a 2006 as we finally found one with exactly what we wanted on it and nothing extra we didn't want.

However, I have a few question for anyone out there. What is that strange opening with the lip next to the instrument panel dimmer switch just below the fog light switch? I have looked through the manual and can not find any reference. There is a pocket like opening underneath the console lid; anyone know what that is for? When you open the fuel door there appears to be a toggle switch (black on ours). Is it a switch or just the means to keep the fuel door closed tight?

Just curious.

Anyone install the mud flaps? I am not sure I care for the look but we seem to always get junk on the area low and just behind the front wheel well.

One more thing. Anyone having trouble with the passenger air bag senor light on the dash? Whenever my daughter, 110 pounds, sits in the front passenger seat the air bag light keeps going on and off randomly even thought she sits in the seat according to the instructions in the owners manual. We have followed the instructions for resetting it but we still have the problem. When my wife or I sit in the passenger seat it never does this.
  • Options
    The strange opening with the lip appears to be a coin holder.

The pocket under the console lid is a mystery to me, too. Grateful Dead CDs?

The fuel door "switch" appears to be only part of the catch for the door.

Mud flaps? You must be kidding! :)

Apparently your daughter is too small to sit in the front seat. The manual says a child 12 or under must sit in a back seat. I'd guess she is right at the weight the sensor is designed to detect to arm the airbag. I guess the detector can't detect age, only weight. :) I wonder why Ford didn't say people weighing less than 110 (or whatever) pounds can't use the front seat. That weight seems a bit high for me though, even with the obesity epidemic. You might want to raise that issue with your dealer.

Jim
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    thought i already replied to this, but the pocket in the top of the console cover is for tissues(kleenex). sometimes the boxes that fit are kind of hard to find, so stock up.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    docc, thanks for the info. I have tried quarters in the odd opening with the lip next to the instrument panel light dimmer switch and they do fit. Good place to keep them with all the meters around U.C. Berkeley but I don't use meters much in Sacramento and they kind of rattle, maybe more of a jingle/rattle.

Thanks explorerx4. I haven't seen your answer. I'll look for it. The space under the console lid now seems to have been answered and sounds logical. I'll see if I can find something that fits otherwise audio book cds for me. I'm too old for the Greatful Dead.

Even the dealer had no idea if the thing that looks like a switch inside the fuel door was one or not. But I would assume if it were a switch it would light up a warning light if left open and that does not happen. So I guess it must be used to keep the fuel door closed. Seems rather complicated to me.

As for mud flaps; I don't want actual mud flaps but we are getting a lot of junk on the sill area just behind the front wheel well just in normal driving conditions.

I should have been more clear regarding the front passenger air bag light problem.
    My daughter is a 19 year old student at UC Berkeley. Almost 5' 6'' 110 pounds. Not a child. And not obese. Assistant Instructor TKD, 2nd dan; soon to test for 3rd. Don't let her hear you calling her fat. :D Yet the problem only occurs when she sits in the front passenger seat.

It has to go into the dealer anyway my wife informed me this evening that a truck threw a rock into the windshield as she was driving into work today. :cry: It just pockmarked it but I want it changed. The Escape Hybrid is my car but she has been taking it into work everyday since we bought it. :( I just hope they can get the exact same style.

It was only a few months ago that the windshield in her car had the same thing happen to it while she was driving into work and the replacement did not have the same sunshade area etc. and despite several attempts by the dealer at a good seal it still leaks. :sick:
  • Options
    As indicated above I had to have the windshield replaced in our less than one month old Escape Hybrid. I had a choice between the type with the grey dimples, between the sun visors, it came with or getting one with a tinted sunband (I guess that is what it is called) I chose the original style but for those who are unfortunate as we were to have their windshield broken it is an option.

At least some good came out of it. I was able to get a Motorcraft Passenger Compartment Pollen Filter from the local Ford dealer in one day. So I put in the filter when the windshield was being replaced. :shades:

Here is the part number in case your Ford dealer, like mine, has trouble even confirming the filter exists. It took a lot of time and the parts guy said he had to force the system to find it, whatever that means. :confuse:

Printed on the Motorcraft box in a couple of places is: FP-49 with
    YL8Z-19N619-AB printed in smaller characters just below the FP-49.

The invoice indicates part number/description YL8Z-19N619-AB,
    OLD # FOYL8Z-19N619-AA, FILTER.

When you look at the filter you will see that there are directions and arrows (air flow) indicating which way to install the filter. With the Motorcraft filter there are four tabs sticking up from the plastic frame that encircles the paper filter. These will be up, so you can easily lift the filter out when you need to change it I presume.

I really recommend the filter as there was already part of a leaf and junk lying on the screen when I took the filter cover off and we have parked the car in a garage at home and work during the 3 plus week we have had it.

The cost was list, $36.26, net to me $28.89. A lot more than others have indicated that have paid to get the Fram version, $5.00 at WalMart.

On the Ford Escape Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions - Forum here at Edmunds post #6 of 16 Re: spitting seeds [memphismike] by stevewa May 03, 2005 are excellent instructions for installing the filter. :)

It is very easy to do. I regret that I did not take photos but there is nothing to it.

Now as soon as my XM radio Skyfi2 with the color matched (metallic silver) antenna arrives next week (gave Roady2 to daughter) and I get that installed I'll be happy. :D
  • Options
    earear Member Posts: 6
    If you want to totally eliminate the wind noise in the cabin of your Escape, try threading some vinyl tubing into the weatherstrip around the door frames. I know this sounds hokey, but this worked extremely well on my Hybrid, was super easy and caused no damage, plus the final product is totally invisible. Now the loudest thing is the tire/road noise. This took me well under an hour.

You’ll need a can of silicone spray lubricant and about 20 ft. of ¼ in. OD (outside diameter) clear vinyl tubing (smooth, pliable and compressible, like the stuff in science lab class). It is sold by the foot at home centers for .10 - .20 /ft. Use your fingers to gently pry off the black rubber door seal weatherstrip that is attached to the body of the car located on the door frames (where the perimeter of the door touches the body of the car). Start at the front of each door opening and work your way around. This will not damage the weatherstrip- it is not glued on, just hooked over a metal seam running the length of the door opening. Lay the weatherstrip straight out on the ground and thread the vinyl tubing through the hollow part of the weatherstrip. Spray the silicone on the tubing while feeding it through the weatherstrip to lubricate its path. If it gets stuck, spray silicone through the small holes in the weatherstrip in the path of the tubing. Leave an inch or so protruding from each end of the weatherstrip. Reinstall it by simply pressing it snugly into place. Make sure you tuck the leading edge of the weatherstrip well below the body panels on the front. Once it is reattached, press the tubing that is inside the weatherstrip to the outside edge of the weatherstrip so the door closes with an airtight fit. Use ¼ in. OD clear vinyl tubing because you won't be able to fully close the doors around anything more rigid or larger than that. The tailgate door and glass can be done the same way.