Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    As of what I have seen, Ford is trying to refine and extract as much "efficiency" out of the Hybrid. If released at this moment, the vehicle would acheive 35MPG, when it's introduced in the summer (under the latest plans) it'll acheive 40MPG, so they are trying to refine it.
  • I currently drive a Windstar because it gets better mileage than the big SUV's but can still tow my camper. Why can't Ford design the Escape to do this and still get 30mpg? DUH!
  • I know most development is in-house but I was just wondering. I have some background experience w/ hybrids and currently work for a Tier-1 auto supplier. I'm trying to get my 1990 S-10 Blazer survive for another year until the hybrid Escape is available, or maybe the Toyota Highlander, whichever comes first.
  • Does anyone know anything about radio interference in hybrid vehicles? I'm a volunteer firefighter and would be very interested in the hybrid Escape when they are available. But if there is a lot of RF noise from the electric motor and it affects two-way radio use, then I have a big problem.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    Because Prius is so computer dependent and it has such a powerful motor, it actually has some of the best RF shielding ever available for an automobile.

But of course, that's for it's hardware. That may not help for the placement of your hardware.

JOHN
    USA: Ford sets production date for its first hybrid - report
    31 Oct 2003
    Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Ford will start production of hybrid petrol-electric versions of its Escape sport utility vehicle in July 2004, with a target of selling 10,000 to 20,000 a year, company executives said on Thursday, according to Reuters.

The report noted that Ford has yet to set prices for the hybrid Escape, which may achieve fuel economy of up to 40 miles per gallon in city driving but added that programme managers at a media briefing and test drive said the hybrid Escape would be profitable though the full cost of developing the hybrid system would not be shouldered by Escape buyers.

Reuters said the hybrid Escape uses an electric motor and battery pack as an additional power source for its four-cylinder engine. The batteries charge when the Escape cruises or brakes, and the electric motor eases the load on the engine under acceleration.

Reuters said the the hybrid Escape will be built on the same assembly line in Claycomo, Missouri, that builds regular Escapes. A front-wheel-drive hybrid Escape should achieve 35 to 40 miles per gallon in city driving and 29 to 31 mpg in highway driving, compared with 19 mpg and 25 mpg ratings for a V6 powered Escape, the report added.

Phil Martens, Ford's group vice president of product creation, told Reuters it was necessary for Ford to develop its own hybrid system because it needed hybrid expertise to build even more advanced vehicles in the future, such as hydrogen-powered fuel cell cars.

While the company considered buying a hybrid system from Toyota, "we didn't want to avoid the process of learning about this technology," Martens told Reuters, adding: "To us, its a building block to the future."

According to Reuters, Martens said the Escape's hybrid system was designed to be easily adapted to other models - Ford has said it will sell a hybrid version of its upcoming Futura sedan, but Martens declined to say what other hybrid models Ford might offer.

Source: Just-Auto.com
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    I thought they did buy the system from Toyota. I guess they didn't then?

A lot of people have been assuming the Escape Hybrid would be a generation behind because they were using Toyota's 1st gen system. Now, since it seems they developed their own proprietary system, for all we know they could be ahead of the game.

It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. Now it seems that GM is who will really be behind in this game. They're too busy toying around with hydrogen to worry about hybrid technology, which is what the consumer is going to accept. Seriously, how is a tank of compressed hydrogen going to react in a severe accident? My guess is all the passengers will have a free cremation and ash scattering all in one shot. ;)
  • Will there be a Mercury (or Lincoln) version?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Not a bad idea, but how would you justify the extra $$$ that Mercury always charges for its models? The engine would have to be the same, and the tires would have to be the same, so what major item are you going to change? make the sunroof standard? give them a tiptronic automatic?
  • upgrading the interior materials, longer warranty, better stereo, more standard features, and more available features.
  • dubowdubow Posts: 1
    So will Ford have to strip down the vehicle to reduce its weight in order to get it to "perform" well as a hybrid?

Remember that for crash test safety mass matters!
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    I remember reading one of the articles about the hybrid Escape a while back which discussed this. They said something to the affect that the battery array will actually improve crashworthiness. Most vehicles have the spare in the trunk which, in case you didn't know, is a key component in it's rear crash system. It is actually part of the crash structure.

The battery array in the Escape will be in the rear under the cargo floor and, because of it's size and mass, will help out in a crash more than any temp spare would.

If you think about it it makes perfect sense. I'm sure we'll see a more solid answer to this question as next July approaches though.
    The vehicle will not be lightened that much by removing items, instead, replace them with lighter, yet stronger materials, such as aluminum. Don't be surprised if there's a few components here and there be interchanged this way.
    Latest on the Escape HEV, it'll be built in KC.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=16755&ma- ke_id=trust

Source: Ford Media
    Here is the Press Kit for the 2005 Escape. All the information pertaining to changes, and such, are listed here.

http://media.ford.com/products/press_article_display.cfm?article_- id=16802&vehicle_id=1004&make_id=92
    are they finally going to let the pubic drive this car???
    At some point, hopefully :-) Look for the end of Summer as some of the previous stories I posted stated.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I drove a Prius last week and really liked it, in fact I was surprised about just how much I liked it, may even consider one.

It's cool, they are totally silent at low speeds, it feels very luxurious. Plus the Prius has 295 lb-ft of torque at idle, so it steps off smartly.

Another cool thing? The $2000 tax deduction can amount to $800 if you're in the 40% tax bracket, but more importantly, you don't pay state tax in MD, at least. That's 5%.

For a $25,000 vehicle, that saves you $1250! If you're in the right tax bracket, you save $2 grand. That might even make prices about the same.

Depends on where you live, of course, but that's a big deal!

-juice
    will Ford's Escape Hybrid be eligible for the soon to be $1500 tax credit?
  • harhirharhir Posts: 29
    Does anybody know if the Hybrid version will be available with 4WD and if it will be rated for towing? I would require about 2000lbs of towing capacity for a small popup trailer.
    it'll have optional AWD. I don't know about towing. Hybrids generally have gobs of torque, but the Prius can't really tow anything with 295 lbs torque. It's just not the type. Maybe the Escape, but I don't know.
    they're trying to iron out all the bugs to avoid recalls coming daily.
    > but the Prius can't really tow anything with 295 lbs torque

Since a handful of Prius owners have reported towing small utility trailers using the less powerful version (258 lbs torque), "can't really" is not an accurate description. "should not" is probably the phrase you were looking for.

JOHN
    you got me- I didn't know that the Prius could actually tow, but in any case, people shouldn't be slapping on a trailer the size of the car onto the Prius. It's like towing an Excursion with an Excursion- you shouldn't do it. The Excursion would be safer towing a Prius, or an Explorer.
    I'm willing to admit that towing isn't something to be endorsed as a Prius ability. We'll save that for the upcoming bigger hybrids.

The concern actually revolves around the cooling aspect. Even though the battery-pack, inverter, and electric-motor can handle the power requirements just fine, it's what to do with the heat after pulling the load for too long. In fact, that was a reason Ford sighted as causing one of the delays for the Escape-Hybrid debut. They wanted to insure cooling needs had been properly handled. Those electric components get very hot when fully utilized.

JOHN
    Some people just want to pull a little utility trailer or a 1000 lb pop up camper. Not everyone needs 4 tons towing capacity. Myself included.

-juice
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Don't forget carguy, BMW is on the 15th & 16th recall on their X-5 now. You just don't hear about it because it's not "cool" to bash a foreign car maker in America - especially the sacred Bavarians. Recalls happen, and they're actually a good thing. Mitsubishi was indicted last year for ignoring safety concerns on many of their models. It's customary for Honda to disclaim any potential defects in their cars, like Accord transmissions recently. At least, Ford steps up! So does BMW.
    I agree, a recall admits guilt, better than denial.

-juice
    did a recall on the 99-2000 Odyssey. They sent me a letter saying my 2002's timing belt could snap because of a slight design problem and they fixed it for free. Honda just doesn't go public with this kind of stuff. Toyota had a recall on the Sienna a few months back. Nobody's Perfect.
  • I agree with juice (as usual), that a recall admits a problem and is better than denial. But I also seem to remember a few class action suits and a bunch of people dieing before Ford pulled the trigger on recalls in the past (ignition, tires, gas tank explosions, etc, etc). So I'm not so quick to say Ford steps up, at least not willingly, or at least not always.

But you guys are right, nobody is perfect in this regard. I'm still interested in the Escape Hybrid. We'll see.