Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• does hybrid escape has CVVT that is contineously variable valve timing
  • tpat3tpat3 Posts: 119
    My wife is considering an FEH and one of the concerns is whether we could drive it in heavy sand. Anyone have off-road experience with this vehicle, especially on the beach or in deep sand generally?

I appreciate any feeback.

tpat
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,796
    "does hybrid escape has CVVT that is contineously variable valve timing"

The engine is the same as for a standard Escape 4 cyl, except it has a different operating cycle. I don't think this I4 has variable valve timing. In any case it would be useless for the Escape Hybrid, because the whole point of the hybrid is to have the electric motor supply additional HP when needed. CVVT is used to burn more gas (and provide more HP) when engaged.
    "My wife is considering an FEH and one of the concerns is whether we could drive it in heavy sand. Anyone have off-road experience with this vehicle, especially on the beach or in deep sand generally?"

The Hybrid technology is not designed for off road use. If your battery drains you are left with an underpowered I4. The problem with "sandy" situations is that you might well be using the battery quite a bit, but since you are not slowing down a lot, the regenerative braking is not engaging; therefore the battery must recharge from the engine. For occasional use, OK, but if you plan to drive in sand a lot, get a conventional Escape with 4WD.
  • tpat3tpat3 Posts: 119
    Thanks for the feedback.

This would be for a short trip from a paved surface onto a beach -- less than a mile.

I'm only worried abbout getting stuck in the sand. Anyone have any experience with it in loose sand or off road generally?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper would like to speak to current hybrid vehicle owners. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and how long you’ve had the car no later than January 3, 2006.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hi Peter: I ended up seeing another post on Edmunds that suggested it was a parking brake issue. Sure enough, the next time the squeak happened, I came to a stoplight and I put my parking brake on and released it again. The squeak stopped. It has happened since then periodically and I have done the same thing and it stops. I am trying to get it into the shop this week. I'll post again if I hear anything definitive. J.D.
  • I've heard that the European version of the FEH has an option to flip a switch to force electric only mode. Is this an upgrade we can do after-market in the USA?
    "I've heard that the European version of the FEH has an option to flip a switch to force electric only mode. Is this an upgrade we can do after-market in the USA?"

I have never heard of an export version of the FEH. The UK Prius has been reported to have such an option, sort of. Try checking out the Prius forums.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,891
    From everything I've seen around the web, as a full hybrid, the Escape can go up to 25mph on battery alone, but only for short distances.

Electric only operation has to be huge drain on the batteries. Ford estimates that the Escape could run on electric only up to 40% of the time in bumper to bumper traffic. But even that is only going to be for very short times and distances.

And I would think that there's some risk of shortening battery life if you drain the battery past the point it was designed for.

Are you thinking that the electric only switch would allow you to say, run a short errand on electric only? I don't think that's going to turn out to be the case.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I am glad to hear your report of the miles on your FEH, which I am planning on buying next month. I too love to check my MPG as a gauge of my driving ability and vehicle health.

One word of caution about the FUEL PUMP :cry: to anyone who likes to distance test your vehicle--dont' do it too often. Most modern vehilces require constant submersion of the fuel pump to properly cool and lubricate it; if the fuel level gets below 1/3-1/2 tank, the pump will run hotter and lose some of it's lifespan, you really don't want to have to replace that, or run low and start sucking in contaminants :sick: . Once in a while--fine, but as a habit refill when you're about 1/2 full, and enjoy the cheaper fill ups! :shades:
  • You must really love hanging out at the gas station! Fill up at half a tank? Are you kidding me?
  • Greetings- My Ford dealer has agreed to order (from the factory) an Escape Hybrid for me, and i was wondering how this works. Are there any extra charges he might try to apply, and should i accept any? Do i need to give him a deposit, (refundable or non-refundable)? Should i work towards paying closer to invoice, since it'll never be on their lot? I'd love to hear any details from anyone who has been throught this process. thanks!
  • Hybrid: Depending on where you are, the demand might be high enough that the dealer won't have any on the lot. Some are only being alotted two or three from Ford. If they have to order one, you might have to get on a waiting list. Expect to pay premium for this. The theory of supply and demand takes place. If you don't pay msrp, someone will. The only reason I didn't pay msrp for mine was that I bought it on January 3rd 2006. The last day of ford's keep it simple plan, $100 over invoice, and the first day of the new year so I could take advantage of the tax credit (expected to be over $2000) for next years tax return.

The normal charges should apply, taxes, title, destination charge. If they can't get one shortly, ask them to search local dealers for you. Most that I have dealt with have relationships with nearby dealers so that they can quickly service their clients.

Unless you see another incentive from Ford in the near future, expect to pay msrp or above for this awesome vehicle!

Good Luck,

Marcus
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A reporter from a large local newspaper would like to speak to consumers in Southern California who have recently purchased or shopped for a Ford and why they either purchased a Ford or decided on purchasing another vehicle. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence no later than January 19, 2006.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• We've had our 2006 Hybrid since the end of November. Recently I have noticed that the "passenger air bag off" light on the dash is on when my wife is seated in the passenger seat. If she moves around or bounces a little in the seat the light goes off. We put sheep skin seat covers on to protect the upholstry. I'm wondering if the seat covers are somehow interfering with the air bag sensor. I'm also wondering if the setting on the sensor is adjustable. My wife weighs about 115 or so. I certainly don't want the air bag deactivated because she's too light or because of the seat covers. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Thanks.

Dan
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,891
    Which of the following best describes why you own a hybrid?

a) to make a statement

b) for the tax credit and other perks

c) because they’re environmentally friendly

d) to save money at the pump

e) to be the first to own new technology

Please submit a few sentences to support your response no later than Friday, January 27, 2006. Be sure to include your Forums username. Thanks! (wclarke@edmunds.com)

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Which of the following best describes why you own a hybrid?

Which of the following best describes why you own a hybrid?

a) to make a statement: Nope.

b) for the tax credit and other perks: Found out afterwards

c) because they’re environmentally friendly: Yes, in part.

d) to save money at the pump: Definitely; traded in Chevy Blazer that ot 14city, 20 hwy.

e) to be the first to own new technology: Nope, but I admit people like to look at it.
  • Reasons for buying an 06 Escape Hybrid:

1) We have an Irish Wolfhound pup that would not fit in the back of our Mustang GT when fully grown. The Escape is the perfect size and it's a 4x4.

2) I prefer to pass gas stations than to stop at them. Since the oil industry can charge whatever they want, whenever they want, for whatever reason they want I want to support them as little as possible.

3) The tax credit is a nice added bonus.

Dan
  • Can anyone describe their off pavement experience with the FEH? I am considering a purchase. I do a fair amount of driving in snow, and on crappy dirt forest service roads. Nothing actually off ROAD, or particularly gnarly. My current vehicle, a CR-V, is adequate for these uses. I'd really like to hear from folks who have driven the FEH off pavement.

Thanks.
  • I have had what sounds like the same problem on our AWD Escape. We bought in in Oct. 05. It currently has about 3500 miles on it, and we get 'the squeak' very loudly sometimes, especially after long downhills, especially long downhills in heavy traffic. I will try the emergency brake trick. I haven't been able to get the car to the dealer while it was making the noise. MK
  • I bought a brand new 2005 Escape Hybrid in June. In August my brake lights would not go off--even with the ignition off. I took it to the dealer right away (before the battery died) and they found that a switch in the brake pedal stuck. They replaced it. I drove my vehicle for the last time two days ago and everything was fine. Yesterday I heard the battery cycling while I walked past the car. Then today, the car is dead, dead, dead. I had to have it towed to the dealer to see what is wrong. Any ideas? No, I drove it during the daytime, so no lights were on. I'm not sure if the brake switch went bad again, but I guess we'll see.
  • An update. I got my FEH into the dealer in January. They contacted the mfg and were told it was a known problem, but that Ford did not have a fix yet... the dealer opened up a trouble ticket and said they would notify me when Ford determines the fix. I have not checked in with the dealer lately. Mine is still squeaking periodically, but it is getting worse. It used to be only 25 mph or less, this week it started at 35 mph. I'll have to check in with the dealer and see if there is any news.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    "The power of a V6, the economy of a 4-cylinder"

Wasn't that the sales pitch for the Escape Hybrid?

Did they get it backwards?

Seems like tests prove 0-60 times go from 9.5 to 11 seconds, and economy, according to Edmunds, is in the low 20's.

DrFill
  • bigsweepsbigsweeps Posts: 11
    My 2005 Escape Hybrid has 16,000 miles. I had the front wheel bearings replaced at 3,000 miles (strange grinding brake-like sound coming from the wheels at slow speeds or turning left). Then at 15,000 miles I was driving to work and the "high motor temperature" warning came on. Lovely. That ended up being a water pump failing (or so the technical bulletin from Ford thought). When I picked it up from the dealer, they must have updated the software because after that, the fans for the battery and the electric motor were on at least 3 times as much as before. I brought it back but they said everything was fine. Then tonight, the "high motor temperature" warning happened again (this time I was 35 miles from home). I tried to get off the highway, but the truck just shut itself off right in front of a transit bus. (Apparently it will do that if it thinks the engine is in danger of serious overheating) Thank goodness I wasn't hit by the bus! But I'm rather annoyed at how many problems my truck has had. Ford will be hearing from me on Monday. Either the new water pump failed or they didn't fix the problem last time. I don't think I'll want to keep this beyond the 3/36 warrantee. (In fact, the way things are going, it may qualify for the lemon law)
  • Can anyone tell me if they've towed with the FEH? What's the towing experience? I see that Ford says it will tow up to 1000 lbs, but I'm told by dealers it's not recommended for towing. I don't get why not in that the regular 4 cyl Escape is rated to two up to 1,500 lbs and the Hybrid has more hp. But admittedly, I've not looked at torque differences, and that may be the key. Any help would be appreciated!
    "But admittedly, I've not looked at torque differences, and that may be the key. Any help would be appreciated!"

The FEH has a de-tuned engine, using the Atkinson cycle, which produces better MPG but worse HP. The total HP is supplemented by the electric motors, but these are subject to running out of electricity, and can overheat (AWD) in certain circumstances. Without the electric motors, the FEH is lucky to pull its own weight, much less tow anything.

Added to that is the CVT, which is not optimized for towing.

If you want to tow, get the V6 on a conventional Escape.
  • bigsweepsbigsweeps Posts: 11
    I wouldn't recommend it. Heck - my electric motor has been overheating any time it hits 60 degrees or higher (I'm in New England) without any excess weight in the vehicle. I know my circumstances may not be the norm - but based on my experience, it doesn't even like to have 500 pounds of cargo IN the vehicle (in addition to 2 occupants) let alone towed behind it.
  • don49don49 Posts: 3
    I'm considering a FEH to replace my '88 Blazer. I need 39" of height in the cargo area from floor to ceiling to carry bicycles upright (front wheels removed). Does the hybrid lose any cargo height due to the battery? Could someone tell me the actual floor to ceiling height in the back? Thanks.

Don
  • dw438dw438 Posts: 41
    You don't lose any height, cargo floor is the same in the hybrid as the conventional Escape. Just thinking off the top of my head, there may be a meter's worth of room floor to ceiling in the center part of the cargo area ... and that's aprx. 39 inches. Just barely.