Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,619
    my wife has an '04 escape limited. she is thinking of replacing it with an '09 hybrid limited.
    my basic analysis, which excludes finance charges, insurance and annual property taxes is pretty much a wash @ $4.00 per gallon over 5 years.
    anyone else have an opinion?
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    "my wife has an '04 escape limited. she is thinking of replacing it with an '09 hybrid limited.
    my basic analysis, which excludes finance charges, insurance and annual property taxes is pretty much a wash $4.00 per gallon over 5 years.
    anyone else have an opinion? "

If your 04 Escape is running well, you will never make up the difference in payments (zero $$ with the 2004, XXX $$ with the new FEH) based on the MPG gains. So if you like the 2004, my suggestion is to keep it.

If you are definitely getting rid of the 04, then the FEH is a good option, though it is a bit more expensive than a 2009 ICE Escape. A limited will cost you 33K. If you don't need an SUV, consider the Toyota Prius or Honda Civic Hybrid; both are considerably cheaper than the FEH - and get much better MPG.

One thing to consider is the driving you will do. If it is all short trips, then a Hybrid is not generally the best option - it has to warm up the engine before the hybrid technology kicks in completely. It also gets less MPG in winter. A last item is the fact that the FEH A/C shuts off if the car is stopped (in ECON mode) - so you are forced to live without A/C while stopped, or lose the MPG gained by the engine shutting down. The Prius has an electric A/C compressor and does not have this limitation.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Ditto, exactly!
  • burnsvaburnsva Posts: 35
    From my dealer today:

"As of June 30, 2008, Ford Motor Company has 55,990 Hybrid Vehicles (in the tax credit window)(Escape and Mariner Hybrids). Based on Sales patterns, it appears the 60,000 unit threshold will be reached within the 3rd Quarter of 2008. If this is the case, purchasers of an Escape Hybrid would be eiligible for the full tax credit until December 31, 2008."
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    " "As of June 30, 2008, Ford Motor Company has 55,990 Hybrid Vehicles (in the tax credit window)(Escape and Mariner Hybrids). Based on Sales patterns, it appears the 60,000 unit threshold will be reached within the 3rd Quarter of 2008. If this is the case, purchasers of an Escape Hybrid would be eiligible for the full tax credit until December 31, 2008." "

As near as I can tell, the credits run out six months AFTER the quarter in which 60K is achieved, which would be Mar 30, 2009, if I understand you to say that Ford had not sold 60K before July 1.
  • burnsvaburnsva Posts: 35
    The tax credit runs out the first full quarter after the 60,000 is achieved.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157632,00.html
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    I noticed you're from San Antonio, have the 09's arrived at your dealership?
  • pobre08pobre08 Posts: 8
    I'm in San Antonio, too. I haven't seen any. We did order an '09 MMH last week though...
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    Were you able to utilize the X plan pricing when you ordered? I see Red McCombs is showing some of the non hybrid ones in stock.
  • pobre08pobre08 Posts: 8
    Yes, we did order under X-Plan, from North Park LM. No issues. However, I need to follow up to see if they have received the DORA, tec. They told us October delivery. We also shopped Northside Ford, and they also welcomed X-Plan.

We debated the FEH vs MMH, but, the MMH worked out to be cheaper based on what we wanted. Bummer, is that they don't offer the side steps on MMH.

Also, just checked NPLM website...they are showing in stock 3 '08 MMH's.
  • rileykrileyk Posts: 3
    You being a technician on the FEH, I wonder if you have any insight on the 2009. Specifically, the AC. I'm considering ordering a 2009 but I understand the AC can be frustrating because it cuts off when the car is stopped. The only way to keep it running is to put the AC on MAX which causes the gas engine to start so the AC can run. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a hybrid. I called the Ford customer line and asked if they knew if this issue would be corrected in the 2009 model. I was told that information was not available at this time. Any suggestions as to how I can find out?
  • dhuang2dhuang2 Posts: 15
    The current engine-driven A/C compressor will not be replaced until 2010. Even with the electric compressor, the fully electric model will not last long due to A/C does require significant power (~5 kW) from battery. This power requirement is as mush as the residential A/C for a medium house. I don't need A/C running all the time, it is not that bad as A/C cut off during stop before the traffic light. When it is hot, I usually force the A/C on all the time, but I still got the satisfactory fuel economy (~29 mpg, 2008 FEH 2WD). The regular Escape with I4 engine will get about 20~22 mpg. :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I agree....
  • I'm considering installing side step bars on my 2007 FEH as my wife finds it a bit of a climb, especially when trying to avoid muddy side panels. I have two concerns:

1 - Is there anything unique about the FEH that will interfere with side steps designed for a non-hybrid Escape? (I'm looking at Westin and they say they will work without drilling).

2 - Will the side steps cause enough turbulence to noticeably decrease my mileage?

Anyone with relevant experience?
  • rdubowrdubow Posts: 1
    The airbag stickers are very annoying. I took them off leaving a residue imprint. I've used Goof Off to try to remove the residue with no luck (it worked on another car). Has anyone had the same problem, and if so, any solution for how to remove entirely?
  • ursacatursacat Posts: 32
    Order the Ford OEM Factory Step Bars. They fit seamlessly. The "aftermarket" brands don;t fir the lines. Unles you like the aftermarket look.

Regards
  • A wrench light icon came on my 2008 Ford hybrid escape instrument panel. Any ideas on what it means?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    It is a mechanical/electrical problem of some sort. Take it to the dealer ASAP. Could be minor or major.
  • Have been very interested in FEH and MMH for several years, but the costs kept me away, although I realize in many cases they don't make a lot of sense financially anyway. I know someone who is a rural mail carrier that bought a used one (not sure the year) and loves it. New ones are nowhere to be found in the region. An area dealer has '08 Mariner on his lot. 7900 miles, not top of the line with few options, 4WD/AWD. Asking $27600. Does that price seem about right? We are talking about at $5K difference. Salesperson said it was traded in because the people couldn't afford payments on it, and bought a Focus. Of course I have no idea if he is lying or not (Sorry sales people). Seems like a lot especially now with the reg. FE and MM with special current incentives in low $20s new comparably equiped.
    What should I look for OR look out for in a used one? I have read a lot here about problems in winter. I am in WI. It is in garage at night and when not used. I have 2 vehicles. Also, how long (days) can it sit without being run? I use my Ranger mostly in winter. Are some quirks showing up in the '08s? Any years to avoid or look out for? Should I ask for a CARFAX report? Contact previous owner? Escape VS. Mariner. Any important differences good or bad I should be aware of?
    Would appreciate advice or info that might help me get a good vehicle at a good price.
    Maybe it would be better to wait for the new Fusion and Milan hybrids. But any idea of the projected price of them? I understand their will be significant differences in the hybrid system. Salesperson said they should start to show up in first quarter of '09.
    Thanks anyone/everyone!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860
    Does his choice of the Escape hybrid to make the drive to DC give the FEH a boost?

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• In my opinion it cannot hurt,due to the fact that there is not enough exposure for for the FEH.I love mustangs and muscle trucks as much as the next guy,but we need to be smarter and more responsible these days! I am glad that Mr. Mulally chose the Escape Hybrid,even if it takes second place to a citation X!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860
    Now we have news stories questioning whether it was actually cheaper for the CEO's to drive to DC rather than fly :confuse:

I am really getting tired of this "look for the absolute worst in everything" approach

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I haven't heard of any serious winter problems. I've driven mine in the Sierras up and down twisty 7200' passes in snow storms without problem. Of course, it doesn't get really cold in CA... rarely below about 10 degrees even at night. Pricewise, $27,600 is more than I paid for my 2008 FEH with a fair amount of options (4WD, leather, premium stereo... but no nav, no sunroof). I saw an ad for $4000 off sticker on 2009 FEHs in SF Bay Area recently. Hopefully, you can buy a used one for less than the price of a new one, but you might have to go out of state to find one.
  • I have a 07 FEH with NAV and AWD. It has about 38K miles on it. The truck has been excellent, but a problem turned up right after the warranty ran out. The NAV screen has an option to display recent mpg. It is now only reading 8-9 mpg, when my actual mileage hasn't changed from the usual 28-30.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing the problem and how to fix it?
  • I ordered an 09 FEH Limited 4x4. The sales rep said we'd negotiate a better deal when the vehicle came in. It just arrived, so now i'm looking to find out what deals are out there. I read a previous post of 4K off MSRP. That would be less than invoice correct? With Gas as low as it is(hybrid demand down) and auto sales at a halt, i would think there would be decent deals on the new FEH right now. What have you guys seen? What do you suggest? Anyone paid under invoice, if so where? thanks!!
  • I put a deposit on an in-stock '08 in December 2007. The sales rep suggested that I take delivery between Christmas and New Years because Ford traditionally had some big incentives that week. I guess everyone is out of money and the factory and dealers want to close their books for the year. Sure enough, when I picked up the car after Christmas, there was a better deal than I had originally negotiated. I paid invoice minus $1,100. Dealers still make money selling under invoice; see http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

Note that Incentives vary weekly, by region, and by model. The local (SF Bay Area) store shows 27 Escape Hybrids in stock. Given the economic situation, I'm positive that deals are out there, but you may have to phone/fax/email/travel to find one in stock. It's no big deal; I once bought a hard-to-find car from a dealer 2000 miles away, the whole deal done over phone and fax.
  • Scottch, thank you for the info and link. It was most helpful. After many emails/IM's with dealers from San Diego to San Francisco, i've finally received quotes at and close to invoice price on an 09 FEH. I'm still going to hold off a little longer to see if FORD releases any discounts(employee pricing) to the Hybrid line as it is doing for its other vehicles. Anyone out there have any upcoming knowledge or suggestions?
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Posts: 877
    Looks like Ford has now passed 100,000 Escape/Tribute/Mariner Hybrids.
    100,000 Hybrids Reached Article click here

Article also says 1,400 taxis in NYC, and 250 San Francisco taxis in use. Pretty good field testing. I'd love to know details of where the weak spots have turned up in all that collective experience.
  • With an electric AC it would have been a much better car. Got to ride in Override all summer here in Florida. :sick:
  • batrobbatrob Posts: 2
    I recently bought a pre owned 09 ford escape hybird. I had a honda fit(thought good mpg's) and previously had a 03 highlander.
    I'm loving the escape and very glad ford is coming back :) !.
    two questions:
    1)bug deflector: worth it? will it reduce mpgs eiether city or highway?
    2) I'm aware that you cant really tow in a hybird. I was going to install a hitch to accomdate a bike rack. any recommendations? will a hitch and bike rack also reduce mpgs?

thanks in advance
    Rob