Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    My local farmer is the billionaire JR Simplot who just happens to own more private property in Idaho than anyone - yours is likely Cargill or Archer Daniel Midlands. The ethanol subsidy is huge, and has been around for ~30 years. Corporate welfare at its best, imho.

Ah well, in disappointing news, Ford Delaying Fleet of Hybrid SUVs (Fox).

Maybe they'll arrive late next summer.

Steve, Host
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    is because they do not want to put the car on the market and then have the Sierra Club start bugging them about building a Excursion Hybrid, even though it would not be feasible since some people, and I think Ford will use this in their defense against the Sierra Club, actually use the Excursion for it's intended purpose. Towing Boats while hauling 9 passengers.
    are hard workers who own little sections of big land that is owned by the city.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Excursion is being phased out in 2006, and replaced with an Extended Expedition vehicle. The delay was caused mainly for last minute refining to increase it's efficiency, and issues with supplier's and if they are able to meet the higher standard's being implemented onto this drivetrain.

Not sure if it was here, or another newsboard, but I've hinted that it would be pushed back a bit.
    That Ford would cut the Excursion by May 2004 and introduce an Extended Expedition to be badged Expedition EXT and on the roads by 2005. What happened to the fast track of throwing away the largest SUV on the planet?
    MT is WRONG many times, so is Car and Driver, and a bunch of other publications. So I wouldn't say they are the bible of future information, in fact, Miss Cleo can do a better job predicting such things.

The Extended Expedition Project has been pushed back a few months to coincide with the next Expy revision. As in, Expect it to debut when a new touch-up of the normal Expy takes place.

There's a few factors involved as well, so not to get complicated, let's also take note it's built on the F-250 platform, therefore they'll be producted TILL the point that the Heavy Duty F-series are remodeled. Also look for the Triton 5.4L 3V engine to be implemented into the normal Expy....THEN......After that time, look for Extended Expy to be talked about and shortly introduced.

Timeline: A) NEW F-150 production totally phased in at ALL plants, Heritage Model dropped. (next year).

B) 5.4L 3V engine phased into the Expy

C) 1: Heavy Duty F-series retouched needing new 5.4L 3V engines

2: Excursion platform not really needed anymore, new Extended Expy to be phased in.
    My addition to post #65, where I couldn't remember exactly (aside from fuel sells), which I was trying to remember what else GM missed the boat in, or what future application they will not address.... Is diesel technology. I now remembered being the conversation was raised again when reading some info pertaining to it.

They have address they do not plan on offering any diesels on any vehicle except the Silverado with the 6.6L Duramax.

Ok Now I remember... Let's continue....
    GM missed the boat on Diesels. VW is starting up a Diesel Passat and Chrysler is offering a Diesel Jeep Liberty.
    Gm usually takes awhile to catch up on techonology, let's look at their OHV engines for example....

Having mainstream passenger vehicles such as Passat and Liberty fitted with diesels, might allow other automaker's to study their feasability in the U.S. market.

And I'm stating "mainstream" vehicles, being it's already available on the Jetta, the heart of the segment is midsized vehicles whereas the Jetta is subcompact. Let me get that out of the way before someone jumps on it. :)
  • Is it still Summer '04 before these are actually available for sale?
    As of what I have seen, Ford is trying to refine and extract as much "efficiency" out of the Hybrid. If released at this moment, the vehicle would acheive 35MPG, when it's introduced in the summer (under the latest plans) it'll acheive 40MPG, so they are trying to refine it.
  • I currently drive a Windstar because it gets better mileage than the big SUV's but can still tow my camper. Why can't Ford design the Escape to do this and still get 30mpg? DUH!
  • I know most development is in-house but I was just wondering. I have some background experience w/ hybrids and currently work for a Tier-1 auto supplier. I'm trying to get my 1990 S-10 Blazer survive for another year until the hybrid Escape is available, or maybe the Toyota Highlander, whichever comes first.
  • Does anyone know anything about radio interference in hybrid vehicles? I'm a volunteer firefighter and would be very interested in the hybrid Escape when they are available. But if there is a lot of RF noise from the electric motor and it affects two-way radio use, then I have a big problem.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    Because Prius is so computer dependent and it has such a powerful motor, it actually has some of the best RF shielding ever available for an automobile.

But of course, that's for it's hardware. That may not help for the placement of your hardware.

JOHN
    USA: Ford sets production date for its first hybrid - report
    31 Oct 2003
    Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Ford will start production of hybrid petrol-electric versions of its Escape sport utility vehicle in July 2004, with a target of selling 10,000 to 20,000 a year, company executives said on Thursday, according to Reuters.

The report noted that Ford has yet to set prices for the hybrid Escape, which may achieve fuel economy of up to 40 miles per gallon in city driving but added that programme managers at a media briefing and test drive said the hybrid Escape would be profitable though the full cost of developing the hybrid system would not be shouldered by Escape buyers.

Reuters said the hybrid Escape uses an electric motor and battery pack as an additional power source for its four-cylinder engine. The batteries charge when the Escape cruises or brakes, and the electric motor eases the load on the engine under acceleration.

Reuters said the the hybrid Escape will be built on the same assembly line in Claycomo, Missouri, that builds regular Escapes. A front-wheel-drive hybrid Escape should achieve 35 to 40 miles per gallon in city driving and 29 to 31 mpg in highway driving, compared with 19 mpg and 25 mpg ratings for a V6 powered Escape, the report added.

Phil Martens, Ford's group vice president of product creation, told Reuters it was necessary for Ford to develop its own hybrid system because it needed hybrid expertise to build even more advanced vehicles in the future, such as hydrogen-powered fuel cell cars.

While the company considered buying a hybrid system from Toyota, "we didn't want to avoid the process of learning about this technology," Martens told Reuters, adding: "To us, its a building block to the future."

According to Reuters, Martens said the Escape's hybrid system was designed to be easily adapted to other models - Ford has said it will sell a hybrid version of its upcoming Futura sedan, but Martens declined to say what other hybrid models Ford might offer.

Source: Just-Auto.com
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    I thought they did buy the system from Toyota. I guess they didn't then?

A lot of people have been assuming the Escape Hybrid would be a generation behind because they were using Toyota's 1st gen system. Now, since it seems they developed their own proprietary system, for all we know they could be ahead of the game.

It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. Now it seems that GM is who will really be behind in this game. They're too busy toying around with hydrogen to worry about hybrid technology, which is what the consumer is going to accept. Seriously, how is a tank of compressed hydrogen going to react in a severe accident? My guess is all the passengers will have a free cremation and ash scattering all in one shot. ;)
  • Will there be a Mercury (or Lincoln) version?
    Not a bad idea, but how would you justify the extra $$$ that Mercury always charges for its models? The engine would have to be the same, and the tires would have to be the same, so what major item are you going to change? make the sunroof standard? give them a tiptronic automatic?
  • upgrading the interior materials, longer warranty, better stereo, more standard features, and more available features.