Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• ANT14 - "Ford bought some items from Toyota, NOT because they didn't have faith, BUT if someone out there already has experience with a particular item/issue/component, why not just buy (pay royalties) and save time in bringing the product out."

If all of you that only want to bash Ford – not just Ford but ALL American Engineering (we all American Engineers can’t do any thing original) – for what you perceive as "TAKING" something from the Great Japanese Innovators at Toyota and others. You just don’t get it.
    The ONLY reason Ford did "LICENSE" some of the components from Toyota was to head off any future lawsuit infringement on these Toyota’s patents. The Engineers at Ford had come up with (On their own) some components that were so close to the ones that Toyota was using, and had already patented, it was just a LEGAL thing – NOT stealing, buying, using parts from Toyota or anyother car manufacturer. Every part in a Ford Escape Hybrid is “FORD” nothing from Toyota or any other car manufacturer – even down to the tires used on the FEH.

Love My All American Made Escape Hybrid :D
  • We just got our Escape Hybrid last weekend and just today I found this forum. Regarding the event in Dearborn, do you know if there was any printed material handed out and if it would be available to new owners? It sounds like it would have been a fantastic opportunity to learn how to make the most of this new technology.

Thanks. Dan
  • doccdocc Posts: 24
    Does anyone know anything about installing the 110v AC outlet in the console (parts needed, job difficulty)? I have a 2005 4WD without the option, and I'd love to add it.

Jim
  • xcelxcel Posts: 1,025
    Hi Celtviper:

There was some press material handed out although it was relatively basic. I did a short write up on the event over at GH that has a bit more detail of what was covered that you may be interested in?

Ford Escape Hybrid Fuel Economy Experience …

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Thanks Wayne. Interesting stuff.

Dan
  • Hi there - do you have a navigation system in your Hybrid?

Thanks.
  • Dan check out in the Learn section of Greenhybrid.com and the article " Ford Escape Hybrid Fuel Economy Experience and Ford Employees Passion
    Contributed by: xcel"

Plus there are some GREAT discussion threads "Ford Escape" on how to get the best MPG etc from your new Hybrid. Check out 'Ford Escape Hybrid FAQ' and 'The Low Gear Advantage' - Welcome.

Phillip :) (VietVet'67)
  • Phillop:

Thanks for the info. With each tank of gas our MPG is going up. We're learning how to drive it for the best MPG and it seems to be learning how we drive too. We live in the rural foothills of Northern California and there are very few places that are flat. We're learning how to get it to go electric when coasting downhill. Because of the terrain in our area we don't expect to get the highest MPG possible but so far we're very happy with what we are getting. Beats the heck out of the Mustang GT.

Thanks again.

Dan
  • cdoldcdold Posts: 34
    With each tank of gas our MPG is going up

My wife averages right at 28mpg overall.
    I average 30 in the same conditions.

rural foothills of Northern California

Lake County. Rural, hilly. It would seem that the ups and downs would balance out :)

From here to Santa Rosa requires a climb from 1,000 feet to 2400 feet, and then down to 400 feet. That trip is around 35mpg, but coming home is about 26mpg.
  • does a hybrid escape has contineously variable valve timing ...
  • does hybrid escape has CVVT that is contineously variable valve timing
  • tpat3tpat3 Posts: 119
    My wife is considering an FEH and one of the concerns is whether we could drive it in heavy sand. Anyone have off-road experience with this vehicle, especially on the beach or in deep sand generally?

I appreciate any feeback.

tpat
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "does hybrid escape has CVVT that is contineously variable valve timing"

The engine is the same as for a standard Escape 4 cyl, except it has a different operating cycle. I don't think this I4 has variable valve timing. In any case it would be useless for the Escape Hybrid, because the whole point of the hybrid is to have the electric motor supply additional HP when needed. CVVT is used to burn more gas (and provide more HP) when engaged.
    "My wife is considering an FEH and one of the concerns is whether we could drive it in heavy sand. Anyone have off-road experience with this vehicle, especially on the beach or in deep sand generally?"

The Hybrid technology is not designed for off road use. If your battery drains you are left with an underpowered I4. The problem with "sandy" situations is that you might well be using the battery quite a bit, but since you are not slowing down a lot, the regenerative braking is not engaging; therefore the battery must recharge from the engine. For occasional use, OK, but if you plan to drive in sand a lot, get a conventional Escape with 4WD.
  • tpat3tpat3 Posts: 119
    Thanks for the feedback.

This would be for a short trip from a paved surface onto a beach -- less than a mile.

I'm only worried abbout getting stuck in the sand. Anyone have any experience with it in loose sand or off road generally?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper would like to speak to current hybrid vehicle owners. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and how long you’ve had the car no later than January 3, 2006.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hi Peter: I ended up seeing another post on Edmunds that suggested it was a parking brake issue. Sure enough, the next time the squeak happened, I came to a stoplight and I put my parking brake on and released it again. The squeak stopped. It has happened since then periodically and I have done the same thing and it stops. I am trying to get it into the shop this week. I'll post again if I hear anything definitive. J.D.
  • I've heard that the European version of the FEH has an option to flip a switch to force electric only mode. Is this an upgrade we can do after-market in the USA?
    "I've heard that the European version of the FEH has an option to flip a switch to force electric only mode. Is this an upgrade we can do after-market in the USA?"

I have never heard of an export version of the FEH. The UK Prius has been reported to have such an option, sort of. Try checking out the Prius forums.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    From everything I've seen around the web, as a full hybrid, the Escape can go up to 25mph on battery alone, but only for short distances.

Electric only operation has to be huge drain on the batteries. Ford estimates that the Escape could run on electric only up to 40% of the time in bumper to bumper traffic. But even that is only going to be for very short times and distances.

And I would think that there's some risk of shortening battery life if you drain the battery past the point it was designed for.

Are you thinking that the electric only switch would allow you to say, run a short errand on electric only? I don't think that's going to turn out to be the case.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews