Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• Mark,
    Thanks for the input, I haven't seen the 4wd light come on yet on the dash cluster, makes me wonder if I should have gone for the 2wd model instead. I'll have to do some research and see what makes a good tire for all terrain and maintains good mileage for the hybrid.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Posts: 161
    It is possible that Hybrid Escapes do not have the same 4WD light on the dash cluster. (?)
  • Every now and then my rpm's are higher than normal. For example usually I can keep the rpm's around 1600 to maintain 45mph on a flat road. But sometimes I can't get the rpm's to drop down to maintain that speed they go up to 2500 or higher. It feels the the CVT won't stay "locked up" into the higher ratio. I'm wonder if its a problem with CVT or if the engine is just reving higher to keep the engine warmed up. Its cold here now in Michigan, 20 degrees.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The Hybrid does have a mind of its own when it comes to certain things. There are three reasons why the engine might rev higher.

1. The engine is trying to heat the cat converter up to its most effecient temp.

2. The engine is trying to heat the high voltage battery up to its most effecient temp.

3. The battery is under going regeneration. There really isn't a set time or distance for regeneration. Depending on driving history, it could happen more or less frequently.

Mark
  • Well I know its not reving higher to regenerate the battery because it happened after driving in low after many slow downs and braking.

I dont know how the engine could heat up the high voltage battery since there are no coolant lines going to it, only AC lines.

And I'm not sure about the Cat answere either since its happened after driving on the express way as well.
  • I am in Michigan too and noticed the running more often and at higher RPM's. Along with the average MPG dropping considerably. From what i've heard it is due to the colder weather.

Jason
  • I am having similar RPM problems with my 08. This just started happening when the weather turned cold. Have you had any problems with regenerative braking? My regen braking does not work for the first 10 miles or so. This too started when the weather turned cold. I live in New Hampshire. It seems that the HV battery is mostly being charged by the engine. This is killing my gas mileage. The regen braking used to work immediately whenever I touched the brakes.
  • My regenerative brake do that too. I found that if you drive in L the regenerative braking will then function. I usually drive in Low in the city and Drive on the highway.
  • When your 110V Power Pack battery gets cold soaked, it must get recharged as does your regular battery you use to start the car. The engine is the fastest way to recharge both battaries. Matter of fact, the brakes provide little regeneration to the batt. Your milage will decline about 2%. So don't sweat the small stuff. Your SUV, which is more like a large sedan, gets better milage than other large cars.
    Bottom line is...over the course of the winter, your gas will cost you about $15 more if you drive about 5000 miles. :D
  • I'm looking to purchase an 05 FEH w/ 75k miles, and look forward to keeping it for awhile. But on these hybrids, what is the life-expectancy of the gas and hybrid components?

I have a 96 Accord with 220k miles and an 02 diesel Excursion with 210k miles and they are both still SOLID vehicles. They are maintained well as would the FEH be, but being new to hybrid vehicles, I'm just concerned...

If I'm not mistaken, Honda warranties their battery system for 10 yrs. What is Fords warranty? and does anyone have any input on aftermarket hybrid warranties?

thanks
  • reply to carysbluesky

Your regular battery is not used to start your car the 330V Hybrid battery is. Regenerative braking recharges the batteries without using any excess fuel, like the ICE does. I also believe you are mistaken, the regenerative braking does quite a bit of recharging of the batteries according to my guages.
  • You'd have to drive like a typical Floridian in their 80's and medicated to drive the FEH and get the milage as advertised. :blush:
  • It fits perfectly. I had a Z1 installed upon taking delivery of my 06 FEH. Works great. Had it installed by a vender through the dealer; this way it's under warranty via Ford.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Posts: 161
    Careful, the FEH will not start if the traditional 12v car battery is dead. It is needed to trip some relays that allow the 330v HVBattery to start the ICE with MG1. [But with the 12v battery constantly being recharged by the HVBattery, this should be very rare] :surprise:
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    "It is needed to trip some relays that allow the 330v HVBattery to start the ICE with MG1. "

In the Toyota system, the 12 volt battery powers up the computers so that the car can start. I'm not sure about the Ford system.
  • i just talked to internet salesman about buying feh, he said come in order and wait 6 months. is that the story now?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    6 months is a guess.

Mark.
  • Can anyone recommend a source for decent carpeted floor mats? The originals on my new 2008 Mariner are the only weak point in the vehicle!

Thanks,
    John Dixson