Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado: Problems & Solutions

canayjun64canayjun64 Posts: 34
edited March 15 in Chevrolet
Is anyone aware of a driveline clunk with 2000 Silverado’s or is it just me?
I have an automatic trans. that makes a clunking noise whenever the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released. Is this normal?
Any comments are welcome.
Thanks
Canayjun64

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Driveline - Clunk Explanation

File In Section: 04 - Driveline Axle

Bulletin No.: 99-04-20-002A

Date: September, 2001

INFORMATION

Subject:
    Driveline Clunk

Models:
    2002 and Prior Light Duty Truck Models

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002 (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).

Important: The condition described in this bulletin should not be confused with Driveline Stop Clunk, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 964101R (Chevrolet 92-265-7A, GMC Truck 91-4A-77, Oldsmobile 47-71-20A, GM of Canada 93-4A-100) or Bump/Clunk Upon Acceleration, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004.

Some owners of light duty trucks equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse. Similarly, owners of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released.

Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.

The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.

For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.

In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:

Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components.

Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction.

While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    I'm going to rename this topic since we don't have a topic where problems and possible fixes for Silverado can be discussed. That way people won't have to create individual topics for the variety of problem-type questions that might come up.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Thank you for the reply. I felt compelled to post a message purely as a second opinion. The explanation above is the exact same as what my dealer sent me (Fax). My final question to this ... do I need to worry more about it? It seems to me that any mechanical "clunking" noise usually ends up as a repair(s). It just doesn’t sound right. Hell! …even the word clunk sounds awful.
    Canayjun64
  • I have a 2000 Silverado, 4X4, 4.8 liters that has a sticky throttle (kinda anoying)Is there a quick fix for this that I could do myself at home? Thanks....Canayjun64
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Take it to the dealer. They will replace the throttle body. I had this done a month ago and it made a HUGE improvement. I have 30,500 miles on my 2000 with the 5.3

Ryan
  • gator36gator36 Posts: 294
    They may not replace the throttle body. They may just clean it with carb cleaner really well. There is a TSB on the replacement of the TB but it only covers a certain build range...
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    is considered normal maintenance so you may very well get charged for it! That was documented by a few posters quite awhile back on this board for those who had the same sticky throttle problem. The TSB suggests a cleaning first ie; routine owner maint. Watch out for this one !

Ray T.
  • Sounds like fluid/air mix from right side when accelerating from stop up to about 30 mph. Not so loud the stereo doesn't cover it, but is sure annoying when I want quiet in the truck. Any ideas or similar complaints? 2000 Silverado Z71, 5.3 L, 3-dr extended cab.
    There is a TSB for the 8.1 l model year that is similar to the problem that you state. In the TSB they suggest removing the flow restrictor. The test for this is to pinc the heater hose with a pair of vice grips and test driving it to see if the noise is still there...
    Is the A/C on?
    There is a TSB related to an A/C concern that would require new parts.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Have read on other GM threads...Ya need to
    BURP the cooling system. Something about
    a air pocket in cooling system. Since no
    radiatior cap on rad. you gotta take off
    or loosen one of the hoses.....geo
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    Do you know the number for that A/C TSB? I've got a kind of hissing from that assembly mounted on the fire wall with all the tubing routed to it. Thanks.

-David
    the tsb number would be:

01-01-39-002b

walter (gator)
  • Can anyone direct me to a good TSB site? I would very much appreciate it.
    P.S.
    Thanks to all for replying on my "Sticky throttle" post. ....Canayjun64
    http://www.alldata.com gives out listings for free but it will cost ya for complete information!

Ray T.

Yesterday i took my truck in again for the steering whine. The last fix lasted only a few hrs and I was told they put the wrong lube in the steering shaft. Well they put the right stuff in there and so far NO NOISE!!!

I was getting pretty close to trading it in for a new one cause i couldnt stand the noise but now it is a dream to drive again (and the $35K sticker shock brought me back to reality oh yea it was a 2500HD ext cab 4wd LS in the new arrival blue)

Ryan
    You know you WANT a carmine colored
    one this time!.......LOL........geo
    "You know you WANT a carmine colored"

hmmm well i turn 23 on sat so i guess i am getting there hehe
    I had a carmine 94 Yukon..LOL
    Couldn't find one in black...geo
  • In reference to messages # 6, 7, 8 and 9 of this post.
    Problem fixed. Brought it to the dealer and they cleaned it (sticky throttle). Works like a charm.
    Thanks to all....Canayjun64
    Isn't it nice to see GM has got a grip in solving past problems so well that they magically appear in newer models :sick: And they wonder why sales had slumped prior to this employee pricing plan. Now everybody's in on the act. It is a good time to buy new with this pricing I'll have to admit even though quality issues persist since the 1999 makeover.

Ray T. :shades:
  • I have 99 z-71 with 44000 miles the abs light has come and the abs system isn't working.the abs box under driver door sounds like a motor inside is running,the only way to cut it off is unplug or pull fuse.OPEN for suggestions! thanks!
  • kaplakapla Posts: 3
    Your ABS motor has gone out. It went out on my '99 at about the same mileage as yours. Luckily I have the extended warranty, the repair is about $800.
  • I have a 2001 1500HD 6.0 4x4 that has a valve rattle on every cold start. Is this normal and is there a remedy?
    You haven't been paying attention, go here http://gmpistonslap.tripod.com/ the noise you here most likely is piston slap. Or the fuel going thru the fuel rails as Iv'e heard said before (most likely not).

A bunch of us GM owners are experiencing this "knock" on cold start up, myself included.

Also try scrolling down to the GM Engine Knock discussion board for more on this issue that GM will do nothing but give you lip service about.

Ray T.

• Hello,

I have a question i hope someone can help me with.
    I bought a used 2002 chevy silverado today and while driving it through my town, i could hear a thumping sound from the left front wheel when i hit small bumps.
    This deep thumping seem to travel through the steering column.
    Is it a loose shock?? My 2001 does not do this.

two more questions:
    Does the 2002 have the "guards" at the top and bottom of the ignition key (like my 2001) or is it just a key hole. (I'm wondering if the ignition was replaced)

Last, isn't "keyless entry" standard on this model?? the deal said it was not But he may be full of it.

Please help.
    Thank you in advance.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    It's hard to tell if the remote entry is standard or not since you don't mention the trim level that you bought. Base level doesn't have remote entry, LS and LT does.

There are no guards on the 2002 models.

Take the truck back to the dealer to have your intermediate steering shaft lubed. Is the truck under warranty?
  • Hi all... I made a quick search to make sure that my post isn't another replication of a previous entry.

Here it is:

When driving on a standard city street, around 65 kilometres/hour or 40.3 miles/hour, I get (this is hard to explain) a groaning type of noise. Somewhat like a vibration or shudder. I suspect that the shifting sequence of my automatic trans is done to fast from the second gear to the third (same as a manual trans when it is shifted to fast) perhaps it's from the third to the fourth ... I’m not sure. Could this be related to a faulty modulator valve? Is this common?
    In order to eliminate/quiet this, I need to accelerate a bit more to activated the passing gear until I reach a higher speed then it’ s gone.

P.S. Unfortunately, I don't know the transmission model/make for my 2000 Silverado 4.8 V8.... sorry.

Thanks in advance…Canayjun64
    SOunds to me like your torque converter is locking up. Mine did the same right around 39-41 mph. I had the trans reprogrammed by gm about 2 yrs ago. However I have heard the fix is no longer available.

My only suggestion when driving around town put it into 3rd. (select 3 after the D)
This discussion has been closed.