Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bobbyo1bobbyo1 Posts: 4
    Has anyone had experience with these codes.(420,430). The codes mean low efficency in both Catalytic convertors. Is it possible that the convertors both went bad at the same time? Or is it the oxygen sensors after the convertors. I had fuel injector problems that have been replaced recently. Could this have caused the problem? Would it cause damage to the truck if I drive it with these readings. All input would be appreciated.
    Bob
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    See reply #509. You can do it with the torsion bars. However, if you drive a 2wd it won't work as the suspension setup is a little different. Works for 4wd only.
  • Thanks for replying. The engine turns over very strong. It happened today. After driving it for a while I parked it to get some coffee( 10 minutes) and it wouldn't start. After letting it cool of for a while (190 degress) 20 minutes, it fired right up. Is there a fuel relay or something like that. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
  • crdixoncrdixon Posts: 2
    hi:

check your fog lights to see if they have water in them. we just
    purchased a 2000 chev 4x4 ext. and found that BOTH lights
    had water inside.
    obviously, it's a manufacturing defect by GM. Fog lights should
    NOT fill up like swimming pools.
  • crdixoncrdixon Posts: 2
    don't buy this line from ANY dealer about this issue.

this could be a catalytic converter problem, oxygen
    sensor etc..

you need to contact their service manager and demand
    they go through the truck looking specifically at
    fuel related issues....

otherwise they will ignore your requests until the 31st day
    of your purchase!!
  • bandit4bandit4 Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 2500 HD Chevy Silv Ext cab with 8.1 and Allison Trans. I am experiencing the same problems. It just dies for no apparent reason. It happens anytime anywhere going down the road at highway speed sitting at a red light or stop sign starting out in the middle of an intersection. The other day I had my girlfriend and kids in the truck and pulling a trailer and it died in the middle of making a right hand turn. No power steering and a trailer pushing me into on coming traffic. One piece of advice I can give any one with this same problem. 1. I usually have to bring the truck to a stop on the side of the road. 2. park turn the key off 3. let it sit for about 30 seconds to a minute 4. it will start back up. 5. :cry: If I dont turn the key off and let it sit it will not start and end up cranking the battery down.
    I would like to fix this problem for good I have tried changing fuel filters. Has not helped. The fuel pump is electric and can hearing it running. The fact it dies and seems to reset it self leads me to believe it is computer related sensors or something. If anyone can help me with my problem. PLEASE HELP!!!
  • bandit4bandit4 Posts: 2
    I have experinced the same problem with my 2001 2500 HD 8.1 litre. as well. Feels like the drive train slips it des not do it all the time. Just once in a while when accelerating when going really slow or starting from a dead stop. Would appreciate any information on this as well if anyone has any idea what is wrong. Dont no if it is a sensor or torque convertor or transmission. Hope it is not expensive.
  • I did what you said, and cleaned out the tube and the mass air flow sensor, and I took off the distributor rotor and cap to look for water, and I took the EGR valve out and cleaned it and apparently one of those 3 was the problem, because it runs like a new one now! Thanks for the help. I really think it was a combo of the EGR valve and cleaning that sensor, because it went from really bad to perfect after an hour of work. Thanks Dave.
  • smoggersmogger Posts: 1
    replace the transmission valve body.
  • bigzt88bigzt88 Posts: 4
    Hi guys,

I have an 89' Chevy Silverado. It is my pride and joy. It has a nice V8, and the interior and overall truck itself is in great condition.

Anyway, my truck is making an odd sound. You know when you first turn on a water hose, and you hear the first few drops sputtering out? That is the sound my truck makes sometimes. I can park my truck, and gas my engine, and hear it. I have several holes on the top of my muffler, but my friends told me that probably wasnt it. I am not to worried, I am just kind of wondering what it is. Its just tiny little sputters. Other than that, the truck drives great, and all is running good.

Any clues? Thanks.
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    If what you're describing is a "gurgling" sound, it's likely you have air trapped in your cooling system, and nothing to worry about. If so, what you're hearing is air passing through the heater core inside the truck. Sorry, I'm clueless about that truck, so I can't provide much help other than to suggest taking off the radiator cap (if it has one) and running it for a while at operating temperature, revving occasionally, to allow the air to escape. Someone else may be able to be more specific.

-David
    Ahhhhh.....

You hit it right on the head with "gurgling". I'm going to ask my uncle about that. That might very well be whats wrong....

Thanks alot!

BTW, does ya'lls ignition ever lock up? Its hard for me to turn the key sometimes. It might be because my key is so old.
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    It probably is because your key is old. Same thing happened to me on a '55'. Nothing a good locksmith can't fix.

-David
  • dave50dave50 Posts: 22
    I'm glad I could help. Have a great week.
    Dave
    David...

I just discovered that the sound can actually be heard outside the truck as well....By my muffler infact.

Any ideas?

I'm sorry for so many questions, but I do not know anything about trucks....
  • wyidahowyidaho Posts: 1
    I have nothing hot in the plugin on the truck.i checked all the fuse's and they are ok.I checked the wire's going into the plug and their not hot.I thinkit might be something wrong between the fuse box and the back of the truck,but i don't know where to start looking.
  • shookieshookie Posts: 1
    i have the same problem with a 2000 chevy 1500, i have been advised to change the fuel pressure regulator. at first i thought i had a bad starter ,replaced it,fuel pump,replaced it ,fuel filter,replaced it,plugs,replacedthem,after all that it was the regulator , relatively cheap part.
  • Tell me about it, and G.M. installed it with only a 20,000 mile warranty... it went bad the second time with just under 21,000 miles on it. Labor and cost ... over $1,100.00.
  • Can someone help me. My 5.3 sounds like a diesel when i first start it everyday. The GM garage said it happens to all of them and there is nothing they can do... HELP
    I love Chevy trucks but they need a recall on this as well as the anti lock break sensors which corroded at a cost of $600.00
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    You need to install a 30 amp fuse in the stud #1 in your underhood fuse center.
    That will make your trailer hitch plug power wire feed hot.
This discussion has been closed.