Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Not sure this is the right place to post this, but I bought a 2005 Silverado 2500 HD out of State and tried to register it in California. Am told it is Federally certified but not California certified emissions standard. Didn't even know emissions were an issue for diesels. Help! Please. Is there a way to make it California compliant?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    Only way to make it California legal at this point is to put 7500 miles on it while registered in another state. Without a factory certification label, it is not a Cal-spec truck, even though the engine is 50-state legal.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• pc59pc59 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 1500 Z71 crew cab. My dealer rotated and alined the tires at 6,000 miles. By 7,500 miles I could already see that the front tires which used to be the back tires were starting to chop. I took it back to the dealership and they told me they had never seen anything like it. They had an other tire shop do an alinement because they thought theirs may be off. I now have over 9,000 miles and it seems to be getting worse. I notice it the most on the concrete freeway. It feels like I'm on a bad dirt road that has been washed boarded. Do you think it's the tires or something wrong with the front end? I also have problems with the brakes pulsating.
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Park............There is NO speedo cable in the new GM trucks.
    Could it be a relay clicking?
  • Unfortunately, the DMV won't let us EVER register it - even if we put 7500 miles on it as an out-of-state vehicle - because we were California residents when we purchased it out of state. There must be a way to make it a Cal-spec trust AND get a factory certification label.
  • jjtjjjtj Posts: 103
    You can buy O2 simulators.. a company called Curtis makes them.. not sure if they have them for the Silverado but they basically plug into the O2 bung & factory wiring harness to fool the computer, and will prevent your check engine light from coming on. However, late model cats aren't that restrictive, and you will probably get better performance & mileage out of your truck by leaving the cats & O2 sensors in place. O2 sensors will allow the engine computer to adjust the fuel/air ratio accordingly, so it won't run too lean or rich.. no O2 sensors will most likely mean lower fuel mileage.

Plus I believe it's against federal law to remove the cats, and if you have a local inspection or emissions check, no catalytic converter will fail your truck.
  • I just took the truck to get inspected at a GM dealership. The service advisor went with me on a test drive (he drove). He spent a good 15mins listening to it.He said the noise is coming up from the transmission. It only happens in first gear. He said this was normal and even some new trucks make this noise. He mentioned something about how the first gear meshes.. or something like that and that is the noise I'm hearing. I must admit the slight clicking/popping/scratching noise in first gear is tolerable, but I just needed to know that it wasn't a defect or problem that would destroy my transmission.
  • Perform a serious check of your front shocks. Probably defective from the factory!

Ed
  • me4me4 Posts: 3
    I have on '02 4.8 automatic. I've started experiencing a clunk shifting to second gear. I've also asked around and others have the same problem. I was told by two transmission shops that the problem with the trans is, they weren't designed properly (under engineered), and don't fail in the same way every time so no recall.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    I think you're out of luck then. The GM database will always show that truck as a federal emissions vehicle, not a Cali. If DMV runs the VIN, it will come up as a federal.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• i have a 2000 silverado 1500 that has 54,000 miles on it, and it is havein trouble starting after it is warm.. but starts right up in the morning... i see you said somethin about maybe its the temp sensor, did that fix your problem?
    if so where is the sensor so i can change mine as well.. thanks..
    wade
  • mine is a 98 with a 5.7 vortec. when it first started I only had a little problem getting it started but kept getting harder. my fuel mileage dropped and had black smoke from running rich. the temp sensor is located on top in the front just below the thermostat. to check this unhook the connector and check voltage between the two wires. you should have 5volts. if this is good check the ohms on the sensor when the engine is cold reconnect the sensor start the truck and let it warm up then check the ohms again. at 68 deg the ohms should be about 3520 at 86 they should be 2238 at 140 they should be 668 and at 194 deg they should be 240 ohms. I suggest you check this out before buying the sensor.
  • Take it to the dealer and have the computer reprogrammed. They will charge you about $40 and it doesn't make a lot of sense but it works. The way it was explained to me was that the computer doesn't tell the compressor to turn on when it is suppose to.
  • I have a 2000 Silverado 1500. 4.3 liter V6. Right now when I start it in the morning it starts fine but when I try and accelerate it doens't want to move. The entire truck shakes and sometimes it will die completely. If I put it in reverse about 50% of the time it will die also. I have had it put on a diagnostic but nothing showed up even though the service engine soon light was on. This problem only happens when it's been sitting for a long time and after it warms up it runs like a champ. Any ideas on what the problem could be? A friend of mine said it could be the spark plugs but I am thinking that's not the problem. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • hey you will have to find out what makes it compliant from a dealership in your area and have them run an emmisssions check and it sould tell you what you have to change to make it compliant. Most liky youl need a new cadalitic converter
  • To override the parking lights simply pump the dome override button a few times until the dash beeps at you. It will allow you to control all of your lights. In order to reverse this simply repeat the process. Good luck and I hope this helps.
  • just wondering if any one could recommend the best way to level my 00 extended cab 1500 2wd. the front end sags about 2.5 inches lower than the rear. took it to a shop, but they said i would need a whole new front suspension, and that it would really cost me. i would like it to have the lift of a Z71 but not cost me a small fortune. any help would be appreciated
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    I don't know of any adjustment to raise the front end on the 2wd models, the 4x4's have been done quite often by posters on this site however but it's a whole different set-up over the 2wd trucks. The pitch of the truck is intended so with the rated load the truck is not dragging it's tailend on the road. Were it may not look "cool" it has an intended purpose. I suggest a lift kit if you just can't stand the "look" but you will not need " a whole new front suspension" as suggested by the shop you took it to.

Ray T. :shades:
  • Need some help with brake problems on my 2004 chevy 1500 silverado. Having problems with peddle going to the floor board with no brakes unless I pump the peddle. No ABS light comes on and I don't here the unit come on either. Has happened at least 12 times since new 12/20/03. Chevy service says that brakes are normal and they find nothing wrong every time I have been into dealer. My problem is that I pull a 21 ft. boat with surge brakes on the trailer that only work when the towing vehicles brakes work. I have 19,000 miles on it and have been lucky so far. I have been towing the boat with my 78 chevy wagon with good brakes. The problem seems to occur when temp. is below 50 degrees outside.The problem is very intermittant. Any serviceman or owner with answer to this problem would greatly be appreciated. I am thinking something wrong with master cylinder like bad "O" rings. Chevy customer service pretty much told me, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. Pretty good for a $33.000 vehicle. Won't be buying any more GM products. Thanks for any come backs.
  • lhesslhess Posts: 379
    too often. About the speedometer, dealer ordered one, national backorder, finally got it after nearly 45 days (fun driving with no speedo) and they replaced it.
This discussion has been closed.