Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Hmmm......I didn't catch that! (Gotta get new glasses!!!! LOL!)

That should solve his problem................COOL! :shades:
  • themomthemom Posts: 2
    We just bought my son a 2003 Chev 2500 Duramax 6-speed manual that he uses to pull our horse trailer occasionally. He loves the truck and the fuel mileage, but is worried that his clutch may be going out. (54,000 miles) Just would like to know if anyone has had similar problems. Also, anyone know the approximate cost to replace? Is there any adjustment that can be made to the clutch? That may be the only need. Thanks for the info!
  • just now got back to receive my replies, THANKS! for your reply Junster and Cybermac! any help is so greatly appreciated! I will defiantely pass on you guys suggestions! junster, did you buy your 93' new? My husband and I did, while he drove the truck, it was on the 3rd motor, (the one from the factory, 2 others were racing motors, which didn't take him long to blow them) the motor was out of the truck, and he was driving a friends jeep when he had his fatal accident. So, there sat a truck up on ramps or stands, and the motor under the garage, on a motor stand, parts neatly organized, he had even cleaned everything with a pressure washer! I had thought well, the truck was left (or spared) for a reason, or he would have been in it in the wreck. I thought well this will be a perfect starter vehicle for our son.
    At the time I had a brand new 2001 Mustang. I thought well eventually I would fix
    the truck up and use it to take my trash to the dump and transport my gardening supplies. Until a year later when coming home (sm. town) I pulled in to get gas, mind you small town, left my car running all the time, while running in the store to pay for my gas! Well, it caught up with me that night, I filled up, I was the only one there at this convience store I thought,I pulled up to the front door, left it running, it was late july,very hot time of the yr here in texas, i ran in the store, handed the girl my 20 and i turned around and my car was gone! anyway, how stupid, i know, expensive lesson learned, it was some crack-head, they caught up with him over the state line in louisiana, they chased him til he wrecked it , and got out trying to run! I wanted to know if the chase was going to be on COPS?
    Ha Ha, anyway, well that's when i decided to fix up the truck and drive it, thinking , it should be that expensive! OMG little did I know the can of worms I had opened! ha It has defiantely been an eye opening experience for sure, I know alot more than I ever did before, and thankful for that! My husband kept the truck in mint conditon it was his baby! I know if he can see from heaven, he would be so proud! its all new again, except the paint and interior. and the only thing inside left to do is the roof replaced (that cloth stuff is sagging) i have pinned it up for the mean time! Its always something so if you see something posted again from flowerchild64, you'll know the story! Thanks again for your time!
  • Hey, it worked! The part after tax was $70 instead of $40, but it was an easy fix thanks to you. Here's to you having success with whatever you do. Thank you very much!
    tk
  • I have a 94 with a 4.3l v-6 when i' am pulling my boat before i could run 75-80mph no problem now sometimes it will do that no problem and then you won't be able to go 55-60mph you can hold the gas pedal to the floor and won't go no faster. then it will just take off again it will have good pedal everything. the engine don't run bad or sound different. :confuse:
  • chap26chap26 Posts: 1
    The engine light came on, so I went to the dealer for warranty work (2003 1500 Silverado, 41K miles) and they turned off the light with the diagnostic computer. It came back on, and they told me to bring it back on Monday, and it could take anywhere from 1 hour to all day to find out the problem. I've driven it during this period, and have noted no problems in performance whatsoever. Should I worry about this, or could it be caused by a problem in the gas tank, or ????

Thanks
  • I have a GMC Sierra 1500 4 wd extended cab pickup. My blower motors were working fine. I shut them down when I parked the truck. I left again approx. 10 min. later, and there was no air blowing when I turned them on. I have checked all the fuses I can find, fuse block under hood and in the truck. cant tell which relays are to what under the dash, as my over the counter chiltons has no really good diagrams etc. I tried to find a expanded schematic to no avail. I have had not much luck getting to view any pictures etc of the heater, A/C blower circuits. Can anyone help out with info on similar problems, or with a good schematic, and maybe some pictures too?
  • I have had this problem in the past too. There is a compressor cycling switch up by the top of the dryer cylinder. It is a 2 wire connector that snaps in. Whenever I have trouble with my A/C, it is usually the culprit. Try disconnecting it, and take a lagr paper clip and bend it out to a U shape. Use the paper clip to short across the 2 holes in the female end (the part you disconnected from the dryer cylinder). Now start your vehicle back up and turn on the AC. If your problem is fixed, you need to replace the male end of the connector that screws into the dryer cylinder. There is an O ring in there that sometimes gets some dirt etc in it also. This only takes a few seconds to try and has solved 80% of my AC issues in GM vehicles in the last 20 years.

HTH,

Aggieangler
  • Ok, I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado LS extended-cab long bed, just turned 81,000 miles on it. About 9 months ago, started having problems with the factory radio, it would take a few minutes to warm up, then would suddenly pop on. Over several weeks, it would take more time to come on, but would eventually come on. In April of this year, after driving the truck every day, went to start it the next morning, but it was dead. Put a new battery in it. Still no radio. Over the last 6 months, the truck will be fine most of the time, except that it still dies about every 2 days. Once you jump it to start it, sometimes it will be fine for more than a month, sometimes it will die again the next day. There is no pattern to this and the charging system seems to be working. Anybody have any ideas here? Obviously an electrical problem of some sort, but how do I figure out where and what? Thanks for any help!

Fluffy1
  • To my knowledge there is no internal adjustment for the clutch because its a single plate clutch but you should be able to adjust the linkage, the adjuster should be by the pedal. It also should tell you in the owners manual, but if the clutch is slipping, since there is no internal adjustment for them the clutch needs to be replaced. If its only hard to get into gear than the freeplay in the pedal has to be adjusted. It should have about an inch or so of freeplay.
  • First thing I would do is change the fuel filter. I had this happen before and had similar symptoms.
  • park11park11 Posts: 4
    When taking off (usually low throttle) there's this noise that seems to resonate from the transmission up into the center of the dash. It seems to only happen in first gear and low throttle. Ever heard an empty tin can rolling around? That's kinda what it sounds like. I had it in to the dealership and the service manager and I went for a test drive. He said it's common and something to do with the planetary gear. The truck runs great, it's really just an annoyance more than anything. Anyone else experience this?

--------------------
    2002 Chevy Silverado 6.0 4x4 3.73
  • FYI, after reporting a problem to my dealer, I was advised there is a TSB out on front shocks for the '05 1500 Crew Cabs. Bad bushings are creating a creaking in the front end. Hope this helps others...
  • :confuse: I have a 2002 silverado and just recently noticed a knock in the steering wheel when you turn. Was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem and if so how did they fix it? I was told by some guy that it is in the steering rod not sure if that is true or not.
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    "Steering Clunk" is a well known quirk that sometimes develops in these trucks. TSB-00-02-35-003 was issued to deal with it. Sorry I don't have the text; my Alldata subscription ran out. But it describes the problem of inadequate lubrication in the intermediate steering shaft. If your handy there are two ways to go: You can buy a kit and re-lube yourself (cheapest), or you can buy the improved shaft. I'm not sure the newer shaft is improved because of closer machining tolerances or just a better quality grease or both. That's why I'd recommend the first. And if you go that way don't use the grease in the kit. Get a good quality wheel bearing grease or you'll end up doing it again just as I did. All this, of course, provided the diagnosis is correct. My truck "clunked" while slowly turning into an elevated drive or similar situation.

-David
  • estakaestaka Posts: 11
    My 1992 K1500 when cold, does ok, but once warm, it will not idle smoothly, then the engine starts surging, then it stumbles and dies. The ignition components are fresh and seem to function fine. The idle air valve was replaced as was the computer with a loaner... no improvement. A scanner was hooked up to it yet no trouble codes came up. The MAP sensor has not been tested, but seems to be working. The TPS seems to be in spec. The EGR valve was removed and checked... no problem there... The EGR vac switch was bypassed and the vac hose disconnected and plugged and still no change. Fuel pressure seems to be OK but have not tested with gauge... I believed since it ran OK at highway speed, it has enough pressure for idle... The truck is a 5 speed manual tranny Step side and if this keeps up it will be wearing a holley real soon. Can anyone help?
  • I will be changing my Rack and Pinion next week what is the best Steering oil to use. What are some of the things I should ensure the mechanic don't do. What are some of the things I should look out for. Please advise me, I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado, Extended Cab two wheel drive.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Is this a shadetree mechanic or the dealer?
  • rwebrweb Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, the speedometer will work sometimes and other times it will max out and stick. However, I have noticed that when I turn the truck off and restart it, the spedometer will sometimes jump back about 4-8 M.P.H. ( this would be Okay, if I would'nt ruin the rest of the vehicle restarting all the time to get back to zero) I have noticed that the Odometer is not affected at all. Not a mechanic by any means on todays techno world, however hoping it's something that I could possibly fix myself. Any suggestions!
  • themomthemom Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. My son says it is only hard to get into 1st gear when towing. (Basically, 1st gear is only used when towing) The other gears are fine. Also, when towing or not, when he's on the highway, thus not shifting....the clutch stiffens a lot. As the clutch is used, it gets back to "normal". Any ideas on the cost of clutch replacement if that is needed, and should he get a "performance" clutch or not? Brand?? Thanks so much for your help.
This discussion has been closed.