Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo Problems--Questions/Answers Here!

2»

Comments

• Have a 97 850 with 99,000 miles...runs like a top...at 85,000 miles the ck engine light went on and had to have the air pump/relay replaced. Now 14,000 miles later it needs it again? What gives? This is a $500 repair to pass inspection!
    I'm really peeved? Any suggestions?
  • I had posted a concern #27 and haven't heard back yet. Can fuel injectors make a loud tapping noise and is there anything I can do to stop or lesson the noise? Thanks.
  • jeffryjeffry Posts: 36
    I have a '94 850 Turbo w/ 85K mi. Tho I bought it new & its been pretty reliable, lately I've been annoyed w/ the harsh, jarring ride. I'm not sure if its really any different from when new or I'm just wanting something new!

Question: 1) At what mileage do shocks (or are they struts?) usually need replacing--not particularly rough roads or use.
         2) Are there replacements that would give a smoother ride--than when it was new?? It's obviously a 'performance' car of its day & never was smooth but maybe there are reasonably priced upgrades that would make it more enjoyable to drive until I sell it in a year or two.

Any suggestions or experience appreciated. jeff
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    jeffry, I highly recommend you post this message in the appropriate forum at www.brickboard.com, www.swedespeed.com, or www.vvspy.com you'll get more answers than you can handle (or you can search the archives as this topic has been covered many times before.)

As a shortcut, you'll find mention of www.ipdusa.com in many of the posts on this topic.

Good luck.

-rollie
  • I own a 1990 Volvo 740 Turbo. I've had it for almost 3 years. Just this winter (its been very cold) the car is starting to act up. When I start it in the am, I let it warm up for a while and it drives good, but when I leave work, after warming for the same amount of time, it kicks and coughs, feels like its loosing power but it doesn't, and jerks. I seem to hear a small whistling sound-like a tea kettle. Then I noticed after parking some antifreeze drips out. I took it to the mechanic and he said I needed a heater core, heater coil,and a motor blower. The price quoted for this repair was around $800. Is it worth fixing?? Will I find this type of repair less expensive but of good quality??? Is this car on its way out because of its age??? I really like this car, its everything I've wanted in a car. The mechanic did a by-pass (by passed the hoses pass the heater core. I haven't been driving it, just heating it up. I would like to get it fixed, but it it worth it. Help, need some advise.
  • From posts 28 - 30. The mysterious Brake light problem was resolved by adding a little brake fluid. The level had been well above the min line on the reservoir, but perhaps my float is set high. Raised the level to about 1/8 inch above the max line, and no more Brake light in cold weather. This doesn't explain what changed to make the problem start, however, so need to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the suggesion from alcan, it put me on the right track. It's good to have someone to talk to.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    davefromny, here's a SWAG at a theory: the cold temperatures cause the volume of the brake fluid to decrease which leads to a larger portion of the fluid remaining in the brake lines which lowers the amount in the reservoir? Just a guess...

-rollie
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Might be time to have the brake pads checked. As they wear, the caliper pistons move out in their bores and additional fluid volume is required in the calipers, lowering the reservoir level. Rollie's right about the fluid contracting when cold, and the fluid level was just at the cusp of triggering the float switch.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,588
    Yes, indeed, your Volvo injectors can make a racket. A sharp "click" just means that the injectors are doing what they are supposed to, but if the injector is loud and gives off a heavier sound it may mean you are ready for a solvent cleaning of the injectors.

Some injector systems apparently are more susceptible to this gumming up and noise because of how the injector is placed in relation to the exhaust manifold. Heat is the big issue here.

Your car seems to be prone to noisy injectors from the little i've read on the web searches.

• bokenboken Posts: 3
    1999 S80 T6 with 65,000 miles on it. I have had a recurrign problem where I intermittently lose my dashboard instrumentation and all steering column functions( blinkers, washer fluid etc.) It has been fixed 3 times by the dealer saying it's a problem with the wiring through the climate control system. Bottom line it has cost my well over $2,000 and stil not fixed. What kind of recourse do I have with the dealer or Volvo?
  • Folks,

I *may* get a solid chance to land the above model, with 54K miles for a $15K price tag. I understand this car books at around low-20s retail (per NADA) but I don't have to wonder who I could possibly get it from because it's a brother of a good friend. Anyway, if I do get a chance to get it, my enthusiasm has been tempered by the trans. and electrical problems I've seen on this board. I have a '98 Civic now and while it ain't sexy, it's basically been a gas-n-oil car with a brake and muffler job tossed in. What would I be in for with a Volvo maintenance-wise? Sounds like a lot of headaches and $$$

Thanks!!
2»
This discussion has been closed.