Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    On an ED order, you "close" the deal 30-days prior to pickup. You have to pay for the car in full at this time. Your lease or car payments start at this time and you're paying for the car for the entire 30-days plus the time you're in Europe, plus the time it takes for the car to show up at your dealer. You "own" the car the entire time.

On an conventional dealer order, you simply put down a deposit, typically $1K or so, and wait for the car to show up. You don't pay anything until the car is delivered.

- Mark
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I ran across a dealer today who offered 3k off msrp on 3 series cars. My big problem...no 330i's with manual and sports package. They had a performance package one but it was decked with things I don't want. Sweet deal for 39...msrp of over 42k.

If I can find another dealer willing to sell to me for $400 over invoice then buying locally is definitely the way to go. This dealer said they'd do an order for 1k over invoice. Still mulling it over, though I think I can do better.
  • Options
    cmhammockcmhammock Member Posts: 4
    In my case, I figure using ED saved me about $3.5K compared to normal local purchase. About 2.2K of this is from the ED savings, 1.3K is because I got a much better price (discount) than I could have possibly gotten on a local car that counted against the dealer's allotment. Even if I did not have business in Zurich, it would have cost me less that $100 to pick it up (Frequent flyer ticket, frequent stayer hotel, etc.) I realize that for someone leasing or financing, you would effectively 'lose' 2 to 3 months of use. Since I paid cash and can dispose of my current car at my leisure, all it cost me was the interest on the purchase cost for 3 months (and we all know what the interest rates are at these days...)
    So, it's probably save to say that ED saves anywhere from very little, to a bunch... You can't get more definite than that.
  • Options
    shan_unixshan_unix Member Posts: 1
    I am new here, but have a dream to buy 325i through ED and spend my two weeks vacation in Europe in December.
    Just wondering if it is legal for me to do this (?). I am not an US citizen...just a foreign worker as H1 visa in US.
    If legal, can I easily get a schengen visa into Germany for this european trip?
    I do have the US INS paper that allows me back to US.

Thanks for any info,

Shan
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    It depends on your citizenship, and the agreement b/w your home country and Germany. You may be able to infd the VISA info on the web.
  • Options
    I doubt BMW cares about your nationality or visa status. ED is essentially buying a car in the states, except that you appear in Europe to drive it for a period before they ship it to the states, so I see no reason BMW would care.

Now, irrespective of the car, if you have issues traveling to Germany with your visa status, that is a different issue. And this is probably the wrong forum for the discussion.

Good luck,

- Mark
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    The only qualification with the ED program in the US is that you reside in the US. Since you have a US visa to reside in the states, that should be fine. You just need to make sure that you can get the required paperwork to travel to Germany.

They will need you citizenship info and passport info at the dealership. In my case, I had to make sure that I was a US resident since I am both a US and UK citizen. If I was not a US resident, I could not qualify for the ED program.
  • Options
    330iii330iii Member Posts: 71
    Can Eurodelivery be had using BMW's factory financing and or incentives?
  • Options
    sambeamsambeam Member Posts: 13
    Hello ED experts:

I am getting ready for my 5 series ED.
    I have a few questions if experienced folks can answer please!

1) the road insurance given by BMW covers everything?
      i.e. collision, liability, body injury etc (all USA equivalents?)
      I think the Theft has some deductibles (10% or so)

2) Is the Spouce covered under the same insurance if he/she drives as well?

3) Emergency kit and First Aid kit are automatically provided or
       do I need to request that?

4) Can I remove German Regi. Plates from the vehicles and bring it
        back to US?

5) Do they give car with full Gas Tank? If not, I guess there is a Gas
        station near by? I believe one has to take 92 octane or higher quality gas?

6) At the time of car drop-off , do I need to try to empty the gas tank or
       any related rules?

7) Do dealers typically wash/detail the car in US before giving it to you
       or do people get it washed in Munich somewhere?

8) Things like Floor Mats: does one leave it in the car at the drop off time?

9) Can someone give me the address/name/phone for the Accesory Shop
        for BMWs. I heard that it's not the company center but some provate shop
       near by?

10) where can I get info on Car Seat rules for Germany, Austria etc?

11) I am not sure if 525 comes with anti-Theft lock/alarm built in or I need
       to buy it as an accessory at the shop outside near delivery center in Munich?

Thanks a lot!!!

Sambeam
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I have not done ED, but live in Berlin so I will only answer what I know:

3) They will be in the car, as they are required by law in Germany, but some have reported that they are removed prior to shipment back to US, so you may want to pack them in your luggage if you want them.
    4) Some people have removed the front and bought it back with them.
    6) I don't think so.
    7) Although it is technically required by US law to keep your car free of foreign soil, it seems to be rarely enforced, if ever. In fact some people even reported that their cars were not even touched, with all of German dirt and all. The only thing is, most car wash places in Germany use nylon brush which can damage your finish. Some use self-serve hands free wash, or soft cloth wash.
    8) Some brought them back, but some have left them and they turned up.
    9) You can find them on the BMW AG web site. "Neiderlassung" means it is a factory owned dealer and they seem to be a bit more expensive.
    10) I usually follow the US rules and have not had a problem, but I have never been pulled over in Germany, so can't say for sure.
    11) Check BMW USA web site spec. sheet.
  • Options
    530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    From my memory:

1. Everything was the same. I do not remember a 10% theft deductible, but all 4 keys may have to be produced to be covered at all.

2. Yes, if your spouse is on the title. If so both of you will have to go to the delivery center with passports and whatever other papers are required.

3. Provided automatically. We brought ours back in our checked baggage. There is a pair of scissors in the first aid kit.

4. You can remove the front plate. Our car still had the rear plate when delivered here.

5. Our car was delivered in Munich with a full tank of gas.

6. No, ours had around a half tank when dropped off. We also had a full tank when delivered here.

7. We dropped ours off as is. We were told they would clean it to prepare it for shipping. Ours was delivered here as clean as any other new car.

8. Floor mats should stay with the car. When we picked our car up here it had the ED mats and the new set still in bags.

9. No idea.

10. Check their Embassy Web Sites. Austria is a speed trap. Get you gas tax sticker. It is the first thing they check when they pull, or wave, you over.

11. If they come with them here, they will be on the car there.
  • Options
    cooljc74cooljc74 Member Posts: 23
    Is purchase price negotiable or fixed?
    If negotiable, has anyone gotten below guaranteed 7% off MSRP?
  • Options
    loubctloubct Member Posts: 39
    The cost of an ED car purchase is absolutely negotiable. I purchased mine a few months ago for a dealer profit above the Wholesale/Invoice cost of the car.

Bottom line is I payed less then the 7% off MSRP.
  • Options
    loubct:
    Thanks for your reply!!

Let me rephrase the question then..
    How much more did you pay for your ED car above ED wholesale/invoice which is lower than a typical US Wholesale/invoice?

Thanks again!!
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the 2.9 APR for 60 months on the 3 Series thru BMW FS is available on a Euro Delivery?
  • Options
    I was able to purchase my car for $1300 over invoice.
  • Options
    Would you please email me the figures. I would be grateful!
  • Options
    Invoice figures for 330i ED are at:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/pricing/2003/2003_330.pdf

There are similar pages posted on this web site for other models.

2004's haven't been posted anywhere to may knowledge, but I don't think BMW has given out any 2004 pricing to dealers yet. In any event, when MSRP prices are annouced, you can probably just ratio from 2003 ED prices to get a number very close to actual 2004 ED prices.

The "best" deal for ED appears to be about $1K to $1.5K over ED invoice, but most BMW dealers stick pretty close to ED MSRP so you may have to hunt around for a dealer willing to do such a deal.

- Mark
  • Options
    Try eurobuyers.com.
    2004 3 Series ED invoice is available.
  • Options
    fhan2000fhan2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

my wife just completed her 330Cic ED pickup last month. She said it was a fantastic experience. Unfortunately I couldn't go with her, so I'm only hearing it second hand (and through many pictures and videos :). However, I was doing all the negotiating and formalizations of the ED program ... just put everything under her name and all she did was go over, pick it up, drive it, and drop it off. She's the U.S. citizen ;)

If you're interested in doing the ED program, read this board, surf the Web, and you're all set. I used the Rizzo method (worked like a charm) and was able to get our Bimmer at $1100 over ED invoice. My dealer probably would have done it for even less, but I figured $1100 was fair. I got a signed confirmation 15 minutes after faxing out my proposal, no negotiating (first sign that $1100 was probably too high), and the rest, as they say, is history. And my local BMW dealer was super helpful and super friendly. Now it's on a slow boat to China ... well, in that general direction with a stop in the U.S. :P

Seriously, if you're contemplating ED, READ this board and it has all the information ... no need for additional postings on: How do I do ED? It's 2 hours of your time well invested, and it's all here!

Happy cruising ...
  • Options
    paddyinvegaspaddyinvegas Member Posts: 8
    One week ago if you asked me about a EUROPEAN
    DELIVERY I would of thought it was something concerning 'Mail Order Brides...'

Now I'm in the process of ordering an '04 BMW
    330i Performance Pkg. ED...

Hey, maybe one thing leads to the other???

Paddy
  • Options
    The sales person at my dealership tells me they only handle a couple of ED's a year...

I'm wondering if I should find a dealer that has
    a team who specializes in the ED process...

If anyone knows a BMW dealer in the southern Nevada (Vegas) or L.A. area that does specialize
    in ED's please let me know...

"Paddy"
  • Options
    Does anyone have the 'Base Price Euro Delivery
    Munich Pick Up' on the '04 330i ? ? ?

I have the print-out for the 330ci, but not the
    [i] model'

I'm trying to put together a price sheet on the above car w/the Performance Pkg. for a ED...

Thanks,

Paddy
  • Options
    sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I don't think that any info has been made public yet.

But, I think once it is available, you should be able to find the ED wholesale prices at eurobuyers.com

Anyone know of any other sites that would have this data?
  • Options
    I'm gettin' a little irritated with these dealers that want to suck you in to the Retail Price of a
    Munich delivery 330i, Performance Pack..

I'm in the Vegas area... Can anyone recommend a dealer in the west who will do the above ???

Thanks all...
  • Options
    chrisjoochrisjoo Member Posts: 27
    I am wondering when do dealers start taking ED orders for new 5 series.
  • Options
    ccchen1102ccchen1102 Member Posts: 30
    Try dealership in LA, like New Century BMW, talk to Eddie Yeh, he was my sales agent, he is pretty good
  • Options
    jbianjbian Member Posts: 10
    Any sense of the discounted price given the fact
    that this is a new model? Appreciate your help.
    JB
  • Options
    nohash1nohash1 Member Posts: 21
    I have been quoted a price of $38,380 for the price of a 330xi with automatic transmission, premium package, cold weather package and metallic paint. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good dealer who will give me a good deal. I saw that some people got as low as $500 over ED invoice. Can anyone tell me who those dealers are. I would appreciate any help. I live in the houston area, but I am willing to work with dealers from other states because the car is actually going to Chicago. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    Based on comments here and in other forums, I don't think $500 over invoice is very likely and even $1000 over is difficult unless you cast a wide net. Almost all the "best deals" I've seen are between $1K and $1.5K over.

I'd fax your purchae offer to the closest ten dealers to you, offering $1K over or the best deal they can do. I suspect someone will bite at $1K over or very near this.

Good luck,

- Mark
  • Options
    razvitrazvit Member Posts: 6
    Fhan,

Could you provide me some additional details about your transaction? I'm looking at a '04 330Ci with premium and sports package + the navigation system. I have the ED invoice prices from eurobuyers.com. I know you mentioned that you thought $1100 over ED invoice was too much. What do you think is the right number? Were their any additional "hidden" charges? How much lead time did you give the dealer?
    Thank you,
    razvit@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    go to munich pick up the car get the discount have a fabulous experience.

My clients that have done euro delivery have all had fabulous experiences....Performance Center Delivery is also available in spartanburg and is a real cool deal, but no discount. I want to go to Germany myself and pick up my next 'bimmer.
  • Options
    I just made a deal for a 330Ci (ED) with
    Premium
    Sports
    Navigation
    Xenon
    Metallic Black with black leather

My total out the door price is $38,375 (not including tax and tags)
    I think this is a good deal? Can anyone comment?
  • Options
    I'm too lazy to calculate how much over ED invoice you paid. Between $1,200-$1,500 over ED invoice is considered to be a good deal. Mine was $1,300 over ED invoice for an 04 330CIC.
  • Options
    lilipeutialilipeutia Member Posts: 9
    I checked eurobuyers.com for the ED invoice price but only found the MSRP--which I had already been given by the dealer. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for responding to this naive questions.
  • Options
    I haven't seen 2004 invoice pricing published either on Eurobuyers or bimmer.org. For the 2003's, it's there if you scroll down in the PDF.

I'd bet you could come within a few dollars of 2004 invoice pricing by simply using the 2003 ratios of invoice vs. MSRP.

- Mark
  • Options
    e-mail me and I'll give you the #'s
  • Options
    lilipeutialilipeutia Member Posts: 9
    I want to thank those who replied--I easily found the info for the 2003, and that's good enough for me.
  • Options
    I believe the invoice price for a 2004 ED 330 Ci is $30,720. Could someone confirm this?

Is it true that only the car price is discounted for ED? Are the options and package prices (both retail and invoice) are the same for US and ED?

Thanks
  • Options
    The BMW factory discount for ED (the difference between US delivery MSRP and ED MSRP) is reduced for the base car only - MSRP and invoice prices for options are the same for both US and ED.

THe discount you negotiate, of course, may vary.

This has the effect of making strippers slightly better deals for ED.

- Mark
  • Options
    I want to thank all the contributors to this board. It really helped me quickly figure out how much I should be asking for the car.

I believe I got a great deal on my car ...and the salesman I dealt with was great.
    FYI:
    2004 330Ci
    Premium
    Sport
    Navigation
    Xenon

$38475 (everything except tax and tags)
  • Options
    ckoftonkackoftonka Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of buying a 2004 325xi, and considering the ED option. I have heard of the ED option, but that's about it. Any help on answering my questions is appreciated:

1) How long does it take before an ED bimmer arrives at your garage, after you place your order? I believe if I order a BMW for US Delivery, it will take a couple months. Does the ED take a lot longer?
    2) Based on what I read, the final cost (excluding TTL and travel expenses) of an ED car is even lower than the invoice price of a US Delivery bimmer. Is it true?
    3) Does an ED BMW come with the 3-year free maintenance service?

Thanks!
  • Options
    motenor1motenor1 Member Posts: 35
    a. ED takes 3 months for them to build the car.
    b. ED price is at most 7% lower than the US Invoice price.
    c. It comes with 4 yrs/50000 mi warranty. Same as if you purchased the car in US.

for more info check this out
    http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/edfaq/
  • Options
    Just to clarify, BMW discounts the MSRP for ED by up to 7%. Likewise, the invoice prices charged to dealers for ED cars are lower by about the same %. But while some dealers consider the ED MSRP "fixed" (with the built-in discount) most dealer are negotiable below ED MSRP, some down to $1K-$1500 over ED invoice.

IOW, there is no difference between buying US delivery and ED delivery and the negotiation process - you just start out with lower numbers to begin with.

- Mark
  • Options
    ckoftonkackoftonka Member Posts: 2
    If it takes 3 months to build an ED bimmer and about 2 months to ship to my local dealer, does it mean it will take 5 months altogether for ED? On the other hand, the total time for US delivery is 2 months?

Thanks!
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    The car will take longer to reach your "garage" depending on where you live. If you live in New Jersey where the cars come in, it could only take 6 weeks. If you live on the left coast it may take longer.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Keep in mind for ED that you must be scheduled for the delivery and the winter is there busiest time of year especially with new models out. Your client advisor has to find out when delivery times are available.
  • Options
    530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Also, you will sign the papers on your car at least 30 days before European Delivery and delivery to your local dealer will be at least 6 weeks after the car is dropped off in Europe. You will make at least two payments, possibly 3, before you get your car here and if you are trading a vehicle in, arrangements may be necessary to have a vehicle till your's arrives.
  • Options
    garyodsgaryods Member Posts: 7
    My biggest piece of advise is either get the Nav system (and make sure that you have a Euro DVD you can use) or take a laptop with MS AutoRoute loaded (and prefabley connected to a GPS unit). AutoRoute isn't available in the US and must be ordered from overseas. Email me and I'll tell you where I got mine.

Driving in the cities without some sort of real time info is near impossible. There isn't room on many street corners for street signs so they are painted on the side of the buildings. In my limited experience they always painted the name on the building closest to me on the side I couldn't see.

If you are going to be driving much in the big cities you might consider taking some folks you hate already as a buffer ;-> or start the divorce papers before you pick up your new car. You are sure to see much of the country that most forigen travelers miss (I know we did).

Actually we had a great time, we had a Nav system in our rental car and once we found out how to work it the rest of the trip was a snap.

Out next car will defiently be picked up in Germany.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    i disagree with you. i drive around europe often and lot. well maybe the streets are not as boldly labeled as the cross streets in phoenix az, but by and large considering that all of continental europe is not english speaking you can always get from any point to any point with extreme ease... now compare that to a place like new jersey or any of the NE states and omg... you people will say, omg you can actually drive on city street?

haha
    ksso