Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• I did these countries back in 2006 on my ED. We really enjoyed it, hopefully the freeways will be built by now. Highly recommend, if you have time...do Slovenia. Best country we visited! Car is safe, you'll be safe. Just park your car in a secured lot!

Insurance covers eastern europe....
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    "Former Eastern bloc countries are excluded from insurance coverage on leased vehicles"

BMW makes this statement.

So if the car is purchased not leased you should be ok.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    also, if i decide to go to the east instead, has anyone done an eastern european loop (munich,saltzburg, vienna,budapest, krokow, prague) and back? is the car safe in these cities (are there ample parking lots)?

Munich is in Germany and Salzburg and Vienna in Austria. All these are very nice and wealthy cities that belonged to the former "Western Block". You will feel safe there.

Budapest, Krakow and Prague belonged however to the Eastern Block. Splendid cities too (in particular Prague is impressive to my tastes). They deserve the visit as much as Munich, Vienna and Salzburg. I have safely driven a couple of times to Prague and Budapest and back (to Spain). Of course, there are parking lots and nice hotels in Prague and Budapest. Though I never visited Krakow, I would not be afraid of car touring there if I had the opportunity.

Regards,
    Jose
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,500
    Where exactly? I tried to find it and can't.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

http://www.bmwofmanhattan.com/dsp_euro.cfm

Bottom of the page as a footnote.

Also, I found this on the BMW Financial Services site:

http://fs.bmwusa.com/BMWFSPulp/VEHLEA_EuropeanDelivery.htm

See bottom of the page note on Insurance.

If you don't have a dealer your working with already I am sure you could contact BMW Financial Services to verify.

Just an FYI - I have a BMW Visa Card from BMW Financial Services and the rewards accrued can be applied towards a lease or loan. Comes to about 1% of purchases made.

Let us know dino001 what you find out.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,325
    Just an FYI - I have a BMW Visa Card from BMW Financial Services and the rewards accrued can be applied towards a lease or loan. Comes to about 1% of purchases made.

1%? I would be interested in such a card ... but not at 1%. FYI, you can get an AMEX BlueCash card and ... well, the rewards are a bit tricky depending on how much you spend... but I will definitely be getting back significantly more than 1%, which I could then use towards a BMW. ;)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I am sure other cards can give you cash you could use, but then I would spend it before I bought a new car :surprise: I do enough traveling to use this an alternate card. They all have their pros and cons.
  • does anyone know how the cars are transported back if you decide to leave it in another city? i would consider leaving it somewhere else if i felt certain that someone wasn't driving my car back to munich.

thanks,

phil
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 772
    It depends on where you leave it. Some places it goes directly on a ship and others it gets trucked back to Germany.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'm posting this as a response to a question made in a different discussion (where I'll post a link to this thread).

My wife wants to A) have a family vacation to Europe this summer, and B) wants to do another European Delivery during said vacation, this time for a car for her. The question was raised that due to the current Euro/Dollar valuations, the incentive to buy a car via the ED program had all but evaporated. The following is a worksheet that I prepared for the car that currently at the top of her list:

Item ----------------------------------------- U.S. MSRP ------- ED Invoice
    2008 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon ------ $36,100 ------------ $30,890
    Destination --------------------------------------- $775 ----------------- $775
    6-Speed Manual Transmission --------------- $0 -------------------- $0
    Arctic Metallic Paint -------------------------- $475 ----------------- $430
    Gray Leather Seats ------------------------------- $0 -------------------- $0
    Premium Package -------------------------- $3,250 -------------- $2,960
    Sport Package ------------------------------- $1,200 -------------- $1,090
    Heated Seats ----------------------------------- $500 ----------------- $455
    Park Distance Control ----------------------- $350 ----------------- $320
    Xenon Headlights ------------------------------ $800 ----------------- $730
    iPod Adaptor ------------------------------------ $400 ----------------- $365
    HD Radio ----------------------------------------- $350 ----------------- $315
    Logic 7 Premium Audio ------------------ $1,200 --------------- $1,090
    Dealer Profit -------------------------------- Included --------------- $1,000
    ==============================================
    Total: ------------------------------------------ $45,400 ------------- $40,420

Additionally, if you've been a BMW-CCA member for at least one year (and I have been), you take an additional $500 off of all 3-Series cars and $1,000 off of all 5-Series cars. Worst case here you can negotiate a deal that is nearly $5,000 below the U.S. MSRP. To be sure, many folks negotiate deals on domestically sourced cars, however, dealers who understand the ED process are typically open to even lower "above invoice" deals on ED cars. Why? Well, a couple of reasons actually.

1) ED cars are straight profit due to the fact that the dealership doesn't need to "finance" the car while it is on the dealership lot.

2) ED cars do NOT come out of their allocation of cars. Said another way, every ED car they sell is just one more sale above their yearly allocation of vehicles.

3) ED sales DO count toward the formula that determines allocations for future years.

Now, as for the actual costs associated with the delivery of an ED car, there are two schools of thought.

1) The "Blitz" trip. Schedule Friday off of work and fly to Munich on the Thursday evening flight (if you're on the left coast you'll need to take Thursday off as well and fly out Wednesday evening). Currently flights out of Boston are $1,122, $1,042 for New York, $1,242 from Washington DC, and $1,319 from Los Angeles. For East Coasters, you'll need Friday and Saturday night in a hotel, and for West Coasters, you'll need to add Thursday night as well, and Hotel rooms in Munich are plentiful in the $100 to $150 range. Transportation via the U-Bahn (subway) will cost between $5 and $10 for the whole trip. Full cost for the trip (less your U.S. airport transport costs) should range from $1,300 (from east coast) to a bit under $2,000 (from west coast). Total savings: $3,000 to $3,500 for the above car.

2) The "vacation" trip. Assuming that you're already going to go to Europe anyway, airfare to Munich is roughly on par with other destinations so that is usually a push as far as cost is concerned. Further assuming that you're going to rent a car, you'll find that for a car of any decent size that is capable of carrying more than one person and their luggage, the cost is at the very least $650 per week, and as such, car rental fees can be considered "additional savings". Total savings for the two week vacation that we're planning for next summer: $6,400 for the above car.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    A winter or spring vacation will net more savings in Europe, for sure. I stayed at the Marriott Munich (hotwire) for $50 a night. I can't find a hotel in the USA that nice for less than $150 a night. Not even close actually.
    Good point, we did our first ED trip in April and it was both wonderful and inexpensive. We had a blast. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,679
    ED is a great idea, but if your comparison is based on paying MSRP for the domestically delivered unit, then it is flawed on it's face... I'd say most people can negotiate 5% off MSRP without breaking a sweat... And.. if your dealer won't do that, he probaby isn't going to cut you a $1000-over-invoice deal on an ED, either..

I can buy the brand-new M3 that just came out this month for MSRP... :)

(well.. if I had the money.. :surprise: )

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,864
    Yes that is true, there are a host of other things to consider, but for example on the M3, the local dealer would not come off MSRP, I found out in research, the yearly insurance premiums were way higher (2.5x) than the Z06 I eventually got. While this was model specific, the M3 engines that year were prone to grenading, and many (out of a very small M3 over all population) actually did. So I dodged at least 3 bullets- ah two bullets and one blast and shrapnel. :shades: ;)

Having said that I was thinking seriously of doing it with/for a BMW 335 D twin turbo diesel 6 speed manual.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Plus, M (I think I heard 6 and 1 as well) models DO come out of dealer allocation and there is no ED discount for M. So you will in fact pay more for the privilege if getting an M model via ED, much like what Porsche does.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,679
    My post really wasn't about the "M" car..

My point was... I can negotiate a discount on a 328 wagon.... I wouldn't have to pay MSRP, like in the example...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,864
    Well all of us DID understand what you said. The response to my post was a demo that your line of thinking WAS understood.

So using the response, "IF" it is true, then getting an M over there would offer NO (dollard)advantage!? Some folks would buy an M anyway and oh by the way have something to drive around Europe) But an 3 series wagon- probably? BUT you need to negotiate the wagon here first, then compare prices with ED, THEN and RE negotiate the ED delivery? GEE tired already. ;)
    I believe that I stated that one could in many cases negotiate down from from MSRP on a domestically produced car, that said, in my experience dealers are willing to make less profit on an ED car than they are for one of the cars out of their allocation. I've confirmed this fact at four different dealerships now (two in New Jersey and two here in New Hampshire).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    You can knock 2-3k off the msrp usually. But, here's the rub, can you drive your band new car in europe? ;)

I saved over 5k on my last ED and then promptly spent a great portion of that saving zooming all over Europe. In my own car. It's fun to stay in Nice, France at a hotel right on the Riviera. It's even more fun when you just drove there in your brand new car - after spending hours ripping through the Alps and along the Mediterranean at 100+.

Worth every penny.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,580
    You're going for an AWD XI Wagon? C'mon...what gives? LOL!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,262
    Calm down -- :D .

Turns out it's for his wife.
    Yeah, like our buddie from Arizona said, it's for Mrs. Shipo. Last weekend she managed to back her current car off of a neighbor's driveway into some deep layered winter accumulaton of slush on top of icy snow on top of mud, and the car sank in up to its belly pan. In spite of the fact that the flatbed/winch vehicle that pulled her out needed to really strain to get it moving, she somehow believes that AWD would have saved her from that fate.

Given that I tried to play objective "car salesman", I only offered my opinion on the matter once and then let it go; after all, she's paying for it. ;) Of course the bit I'll be paying for regardless of which drive orientation she gets, will be a set of winter skins and some new wheels. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,580
    for 7 years and over 135,000 miles my Mom drove a 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E with RWD (no traction or stability control) and snow tires (during the winter). During the '90's we had some pretty nasty winters here in the suburbs of NYC (part of which fueled the SUV craze).

My parents sold the 300E and leased one of the first 1998 CLK 320s (RWD) for four years. The winters got milder towards the end of the '90's and my MOm got by driving the CLK with the regular all season shoes that it came with.

When the lease was up on her CLK, she got it stuck in her head that she HAD to have AWD in her next car. Mind you it snows maybe 5 times a year here now. In 2002 AUDI was the only AWD game in town as the E46 Xi had come out and were too small (for her) and too expensive to lease. She ended up with an '02 A6 3.0 which she HATED! One day it was snowing pretty bad and I asked her how the car drove in the snow. She told me she doesn't feel comfortable with the way the car drives and was afraid to drive in the bad weather :mad:

Then when the lease was up on her AUDI we walked into our local BMW dealership (this is 2004 now). After my Dad's great experience with his '04 X5, she wants a BMW, but it has to be AWD. Well, she drives an E46 330xi and doesn't like it. We walk past an E60 530i on display in the showroom and she falls for it. Drives it. HAs to have it. She loves it for 3 years.

The lease comes up on her beloved 530iA (RWD) and she has to have AWD. She drives the 528xi and doesn't like the way it drives. She said it felt really heavy and rode rough (due to the added weight of the AWD system and the Run Flat Tires I giess). She ends up driving a 328xi and liking it a lot. 3 months later, she tells me she misses her 530i :cry:

You can't win all the time shipo :P

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,372
    She has exquisite taste! An Xi and married to Shipo!

Regards,
    OW
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,372
    Don't feel bad, you couldn't sell it to me either. ;)

The great thing is you will have really objective feedback when you get your RWD/FWD replacement as to the whole "AWD is a waste" issue. :D

Regards,
    OW
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    What can you say? Marketing is powerful!
  • jeqqjeqq Posts: 216
    Liked Mom's auto saga :)

BTW, I had a '01 A6 2.7 turbo and it handled amazingly in bad weather. Test drove the 528xi and 535xi and felt they both drove real nice. Sorry to disagree with Mom :D
  • tx_bmwtx_bmw Posts: 6
    List, just had an interesting experience with a Dallas dealer, which may be reflected elsewhere in the country. For ED delivery, I am being quoted the full ED MSRP plus options, and they have stated that no discount will be considered from there. I was a little surprised by this, but is it the list's take that dealers are willing to negotiate down from MSRP on a domestically delivered vehicle, but not on ED cars? Still a savings of $3460 off of domestic MSRP, but not the greatest deal.
  • car_rmcar_rm Posts: 47
    tx bmw,

If they are quoting full ED MSRP, find another dealer. Bimmerfest.com has a wonderful wiki on the ED process. My recommendation is read that, make sure that you talk to the salesperson responsible for ED sales and come in with an offer at $xxxx over ED invoice and also state what you will pay for the lease acquisition cost and MF if leasing (there is a .0003 bump up for ED delivery that is not negotiable but they may try and increase the MF by an additional .0004 max but that is negotiable.) You will see your savings increase significantly.

I am going in July to pick up a 535i.

Good luck.