Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• kevinjskevinjs Member Posts: 19
    I appreciate your response and your knowledge or the ED program. One (of many)question I have is the price of the options. Some say that the price for the options is the same as if it were purchased here. Others say it is at wholesale, some say MY option prices. For instance, the price of the premium package for the 325cic is listed as $800. on the MSRP page;but $730 on the confidention wholesale price. Is everything based on the wholesale page or MSRP? I am figuring on the Base ED of $36,900, pluse the wholesale options. Am I correct in my thinking?
         Thanks again, Kevin
  • loubctloubct Member Posts: 39
    kevinjs. Use the confidential wholesale price for everything (car and options). In your example use the $730 for PP.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I calculated my deal in the following manner, and it matched the number my salesman came up with, to the penny. ;-)

325Cic MSRP w/Premium Package
    $36,700 -- USA POE
    $01,700 -- Premium Package
    $00,695 -- Destination & Handling
    ========
    $39,095 -- Total MSRP

325Cic ED MSRP w/Premium Package
    $34,130 -- Munich Pickup
    $01,700 -- Premium Package
    ========
    $36,525 -- Total ED MSRP

325Cic ED Invoice w/Premium Package + $1,500 Dealer Profit
    $31,060 -- Munich Pickup
    $01,545 -- Premium Package
    $01,500 -- Dealer Profit
    ========
    $34,800 -- Total ED Invoice + $1,500 Dealer Profit

This last one (adjusting the dealer profit to suit your situation) is the one that you want to use for your offer, and the MAX you should have to pay (with the exception that some metro area require a MACO charge on ED cars as well) for the car. TTL and dealership paperwork charges (to process the TTL) are of course extra.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Anyone have any positive results with a dealer in South Florida(Ft.Laud. or Palm Beach).Looking to hack out a deal for the 2004 325cic.
    _loubct; thanks for the info. Kevin
    Shipo. Your prices are for 2003. 2004 325CIC Base is 31,570 ED invoice. PP cost is accurate. $1500 dealer profit is doable.
    Oops, sorry. Here is the layout for a 2004, per EuroBuyers:

325Cic ED Invoice w/Premium Package + $1,500 Dealer Profit
    $31,570 -- Munich Pickup
    $01,545 -- Premium Package
    $01,500 -- Dealer Profit
    ========
    $35,310 -- Total ED Invoice + $1,500 Dealer Profit

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Can someone please inform me what the Rizzo method is?
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    kevinjs,

The Rizzo method is basically a clever way for you to get the best deal on the car you want to buy. It follows a number of simple steps:

1) Collecting the info about the car, including dealer's invoice, options invoice price, etc.;
    2) Writing down the specs of the car you want, including the invoice price of all options, destination charge, taxes and fees, and adding a reasonable dealer's profit ($1,500);
    3) Contacting several dealers with your offer by fax or phone;
    4) Sorting out dealers' responses to pick up the best offer.
    5) Confirming the total price with the dealer before you go down get your new car!

For more details, please check this site:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/faq/rizzo.html

Good luck!
    Tony
    Back in 1998 when I was shopping for my next new car, Mr. Rizzo (I'm thinking that his first name is Frank) of "Rizzo Method" fame was a regular on the VW Passat discussion here in the TownHall, and like him, I was also in the market for a 1999 Passat GLX 5-Speed. Given that I was currently driving a 1995 VR6 Passat GLX 5-Speed, I thought that the new GLX would be perfect, however, in VW's infinite wisdom; they decided to eliminate the 5-Speed option for the GLX for that model year only (it was available in 1998 and again in 2000). What's up with that?

Long story short, I found that the 328i had all of the features that I wanted, was in plentiful supply (VERY few Passat GLXs were imported for 1999, regardless of transmission) AND its monthly lease cost was something like $8.00 more per month! When I posted that, Mr. Rizzo and at least a half a dozen other Passat GLX 5-Speed hopefuls jumped ship and got the 3-Series instead. It was at that point that our discussions of how to shop for the BMW gelled into the "Rizzo Method".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Considering your experience, BMW European Delivery should be called "The Shipo Method". :-)

Thanks for your valuable insights.
    Tony
  • chaaaossschaaaosss Member Posts: 22
    Easily doable in this market. I just did it and some other guys have as well.
  • sigurrossigurros Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info on ED.

I've been thinking about getting my own 330ci thru ED, and am wondering what the true out of the door final cost is.

Based on this figure:
    $34,800 -- Total ED Invoice + $1,500 Dealer Profit.

Do you add the state taxes on top of this, prior to the TTL, or do you add the TTL, and then add the tax on top? Thanks in advance!
    Sorry about the delay getting back to you, I have been in airports and on airplanes for the last 28 hours. :-/

Typically the term "TTL" means "Taxes, Title and License", and one does not affect the other. The Title and License fees are set by your state (and your dealership probably pads that a little, calling it a "Service", so that you will not have to stand in line at your local DMV). The state taxes apply to the negotiated price of the car, which if you are using the "ED Invoice + $1,500" model would be, (ED Invoice + $1,500 + Destination) * (State Tax Rate).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Tax calculations vary from state to state. Some allow credit for trade-ins, some don't. Just to use one example: Kentucky.. no credit for trade-ins, and 6% tax is calculated on 90% of the MSRP. Negotiated price makes no difference at all. Across the river in Ohio, credit for trade-ins, and tax figured on negotiated price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Agreed, there are also states that charge sales tax on the entire negotiated cost of the car when it is being financed via a lease (Illinois for instance), and states that charge sales tax on the difference between the negotiated price and the depreciated price (New Jersey). That said, the taxes are still calculated on the cost of the vehicle and are not compounded by Title, License, and other dealership charges.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo - man, what part of the world are you in now after the 28 hours plane/train ride? =)

This really helps me to come up with a more precise figure before trying out the Rizzo method (or the Shipo method =) ).
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help.
    Taipei, Taiwan. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jakumabajakumaba Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have a hunch about the latest ED can be had for '03 models? Presumably, July when they cease production (and the factory goes to sleep in August)? My apologies if this has already been discussed - I only went back a few weeks in the discussion to see if it had been addressed.
    My guess would be August or September. Munich usually trys to produce ED orders several weeks before the scheduled ED pickup.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bushsuxbushsux Member Posts: 1
    I arrived at my local dealer with the a wad of greasy $1 bills in my pocket, all eager to pay the deposit on ED of a 330ci. Imagine my mortification when I squeezed into the car for a test drive. No amount of power-seat adjustment could give proper driving position for my 6'3" frame. I emphasize the word "proper". Yes, I know you can drop the seat to the floor pan, and recline it too, but this yields a sub-ultimate driving machine experience. The car just has low headroom, and the sunroof doesn't help either. What a bummer.

So, forget the coupe. The 4-door is fine, even with sunroof (I tried it). Hence, my question: does anyone know when the 6-sp in the 330i will be shipping for ED? There's no 2004 invoice for the 330i on eurobuyers yet...
  • magbarnmagbarn Member Posts: 35
    ALL 330i's produced starting 3/03 come with the 6sp standard. Also, the Performance package is also available. However, only the coupe/convertible are now 2004 models. The sedan is 2003 until this fall... Confusing, eh?
    Just a thought: How about a 5 series instead of 3? they have more room, more power and since they're gonna change next year you can get a great deal this summer.

Good luck!
    Tony
  • erlibanerliban Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I'm considering an ED too and this thread's so helpful that almost all my questions are answered already. This may not be car related though: will I have trouble traveling/driving around Europe(more specifically, France and Italy, besides Germany) if I only speak English? (I speak Chinese too but that won't help :-) Thanks.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I have driven in Spain, Portugal, France, Switzerland, and Germany (where I live at the moment). In most places, gas stations, toll booth and stores, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will be fluent in English. Larger dept. stores, or stores/restaurants in larger cities tend to be better. For the most part we did ok, and enjoyed our trips. My wife does speak a bit of French and German, but I just pretended not to be the "uncultured American".

Have fun, take those pocket dictionaries if you are worried. Also, you will be surprised how many Chinese restaurants you will find in small towns in Europe. :-)
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    My experience is that it is fairly easy to find someone who speaks enough English to "get by" in most major areas. When you're in the boondocks, you resort to a lot pointing and gesturing, but buying stuff like fuel, ordering food, or getting a room is straightforward stuff and it is usually obvious what needs to happen.

What really helps is that everyone is used to not having a common language so it is not expected that you speak the native tongue like it is here in the states. So everyone is used to just muddling around, doing the best they can. The road signs, for example, are usually symbolic.

It helps to have some flexibility, not be uptight, and study up a little beforehand - having a twenty word vocabulary and being able to handle simple numbers helps a lot. But all that is required is a good attitude about it and a desire to have fun.

Europe (especially Germany, Switzerland, and Austria) is about the easiest place in the world to travel - they take good care of tourists and there is seldom any security concerns (other than petty theft which can be a problem in the major cities of France and Italy).

- Mark
    Speaking of petty thefts, it is not unheard of in Germany as well. My co-worker's wallet was picked and later was found in a thrash can at the Berlin Tegel airport. In France and Italy, stay AWAY from the Gypsies. They will just walk up to you and put their hands in your pocket, or push their baby up to you to hold and go through your pocket. I had the former happen to me in Rome.

There are some places on the web where various German road signs are posted. It would be handy to check those out, as some things are just different from what we are used to in the US.
  • erlibanerliban Member Posts: 4
    I think I'll take one or two dictionaries with me :-)
  • enforcerenforcer Member Posts: 40
    Do ED prices drop in August (as is true for dealer vehicles)? What about January? Obviously I am referring to negotiated deals, not the list prices.

I am planning a ski trip to Europe next February, so that would be the ideal time for me to take delivery.
    I'd be REALLY hesitant to take my brand new car up to ski areas on the Alps in Feb. Many of the passes are extremely challenging. Are you ready to put chains on your new car? I'll take a rental beater, thank you very much.

- Mark
  • life_laughlife_laugh Member Posts: 2
    Hello:

I was planning on buying a 325i with a few options and finally decided on 325 convertable(base) with heated front seats (that is the model I can afford). I am going to be in Europe for 45 days.

1. How do I get insurance for the rest of the days?

2. I heard that for california residents tax can be save if I keep the car in Eurpoe for 3 months.

2.1 If there is Tax saving, can I just store the car with a friend and go back and pick it up (I got often and also have miles - so going back is not a problem). What are the insurance implications (do I need to get insurance for 3 months etc).

Thank a lot. This forum was very useful in trying to figure out what I can afford and negotiate.

-Life Laugh
    life_laugh:

Please check out the following sites; they should answer some of your questions:

http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/edfaq/
    http://bobsmithbmw.com/euro.asp
    http://www.runlevel6.com/bmw/EDsavings.html

Good luck!
    Tony
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    You can keep a ED BMW in Europe for one year, after that time, you have to pay duty.

If you keep the car in Europe for more than 3 months, you must pay the German Road Use Tax.

BMW only pays your insurance for one month. You can only insure your vehicle for six months.

As far as California, I don't know their laws.
  • magar65magar65 Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone actually used this service? If so what were the results? Is the ED invoice price negotiable? Not sure if this has been covered, but I've spent some time scanning with no results! Thanks in advance!
    Short answer is that the ED Invoice price is negotiable. Many dealers do not budge off that figure however. I was able to find one a couple hours from home that did. Easiest car purchase I have ever made.
  • cmhammockcmhammock Member Posts: 4
    I went through this process lately (my pick-up date is May 9). I sent emails to a number of dealers and got offers from $1200 (and up) over invoice. This was on a brand new 2004 model year 330Ci which is bound to go straight list at the dealers for a while. I went with a very convenient dealer at $1600 over invoice. Between the ED discount and then the discount off ED price, I figure my savings at over $3500.
  • life_laughlife_laugh Member Posts: 2
    Hello:

I just found out that if we keep the car for more than 3 months in Europe.We don't have to pay CA Tax.

Does anyone know when the 04 sedans will be out?

-Life
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    You might want to consider if the tax is more than the cost of insurance for three months. Your car would have to be a purchase and no a lease. Even though the sales tax is more than the insurance, it would mean that you would have to make a possible two trips to Europe. One to pick up the car and maybe another trip to drop the car off att E.H.Harms. Even though you can probably have someone else to drop off the car.
    How much money are you trying to save? If you get the BMWCCA membership a year before you get the automobile, you can save some. Find that dealer that will give you $1000 above invoice.

Anyway, to answer your question. The 04 sedans will probably be out in September-October time frame.
  • motenor1motenor1 Member Posts: 35
    what type of savings can you get for being a member of BMWCCA? I am planning to get an '04 next year. Also, does anyone know the enhancements for 04 model sedans 325i?
  • blueox2blueox2 Member Posts: 19
    A while back I read a very detailed and eloquent (1000-2000 words) description of one BMW's owner's ED experience. I was sure it had to be on this board but now I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
    Try searching posts by "Shipo"; he's probably the most knowledgeable person in regard to the ED program.
    If you have been a member of BMWCCA for a year before you sign your sales contract, you can request a rebate of $500 on 3-series, $1000 on 5 and so on. You can find more details on www.bmwcca.org.
    I agree with seivwrig that your insurance in Europe may cost more than the sales tax you may save.

What is often referred to as the "tourist plate" used for ED cars is actually known as "export plate" locally. It is mainly used by people purchasing used German cars and exporting to the former eastern bloc countries. Due to various reasons, German insurance companies do everything they can to stay away from insuring cars ending up over there. One of which is to make it VERY expensive. Now for the ED cars, BMW struck a deal with one particular company to provide the insurance at a bit more reasonable (not by much) rate for the first 30 days. After the 30 days, you are on your own and it is about 4 to 5 times more than what they normally charge in Germany. A 5-series would cost $450 for me to insure for a year, but $1800 for 6 month with an export plate.

An alternative might be Geico or USAA, as they provide insurance for military and diplomats, etc. If you already have insurance with them, perhaps they will work with you.
  • tennis_piayertennis_piayer Member Posts: 1
    what's up everyone. definitely enjoying these forums.

I was wondering if anyone could asnwer this question. I'm from cali, and was considering doing ED for a 2004 325Ci.

I was wondering what would be a reasonable amount over invoice to give the dealers? (one dealer was willing to offer me $1500 over invoice for regular american delivery, but i'm thinking since these ED orders don't take cars out of their allotment, i should get even lower on invoice?)

a response or two would be greatly appreciated.
  • imadroneimadrone Member Posts: 33
    We would like to pick up a 2004 325iT in Munich on October 17, 2003. Before negotiating with our dealer, would like to know if that date is feasible.

Thanks,
    Richard
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    You should be fine. Plan on a pick-up 30-60 days after you ink your deal. You can buy sooner to ensure that you lock in your 10/17 date.
    You might want to keep some flexiblity in your travel plans until the dealer can confirm that he can actually order a 2004 325iT. This may be several months yet.

Why? It is widely rumored that BMW will not make a 2004 3-series wagon to clear the way for the new 3-series based SUV.

- Mark
    A naive question, but for those who picked up your new toy and drove it on the autobahn right away. Did you drive at below a certain speed because the car's not broken into yet, or is there no such thing for a bimmer?
    No matter where you are, the break-in mileage is about 1200. In fact, in Europe, BMWs come with a break-in instruction sticker on the corner of windshield.
    Tennis Player: $1300-$1500 over ED invoice would be considered a great deal.