Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• janoojanoo Member Posts: 15
    Yes, this car is a sedan. The tax is roughly $1500 with the balance containing the first months payment and doc fee, bank fee and MV etc. The total out of pocket including the tax is $2997. I hope this is good. Please reconfirm again.
    Many Thanks,
    SFA
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Yes.. it looks like a good deal.. If that car indeed has an MSRP of $42,500, then it is probably as good as you can do... Assuming it is the AWD sedan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• knight2knight2 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at buying either the 328i or the 335i (depending on price). My question is pretty straight forward (I hope). Are BMW Dealerships giving any incentives this time of the year and also, do they typically give you Invoice pricing? Research here indicates that they're selling these 3 series sedans at MSRP or close to it. Anyone out there get one at close to invoice price? Would like to know how much leeway I have before I go in.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • janoojanoo Member Posts: 15
    Yes, it is an all wheel drive. Should i try to lower thr MF to .0011. How would I do that?
    Thanks again,
  • omerfaromerfar Member Posts: 7
    I am currently looking to buy or lease a 07 BMW 328xi and i saw the online ad from Peabody BMW leasing.
    http://www.bmwpeabody.com/sales/leasing/?l=1,1,4,118,240

Supposedly they are offering a 328xi lease for $219 month with $4000 down and 10,000 miles annually for 24 months. I think thats a very good deal (right??). But anyway I wanted to know if anyone else came through the same add and contacted the dealership. I think this advertised deal is a complete lie and since it is too good to be true. Please comment. Thanks.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    I did a quick calculation based on that stock #'s MSRP. It appears to be a very good deal, but since it is "one only", most likely a "bait and switch" marketing gimmick.
  • discostewdiscostew Member Posts: 29
    Hey. I just got a 328xi Coupe from H. Chambers in Boston with a similar deal. I have been driving it for three weeks. This is for a stripped car. I had heated seats so the lease price went to $233. My cap reduction was $3800, not $4000. The deals are real and the competition seems pretty fierce in Boston.

Good luck!
  • omerfaromerfar Member Posts: 7
    i think $21500 still a lot considering the car has been on the lot since November. I understand you don't want to insult the BMW salesperson but offer slightly less than KBB suggestion and see what they. Alway offer less than what you really want so you have some room to negotiate. :)
  • mefromflmefromfl Member Posts: 32
    I email my dealer for a price quote for the 335 coupe. They reply back that they will not sell off the msrp price because this is such a hot vehicale. Is anyone getting this car below msrp? How much above invoice are u getting it at?
  • boorapperboorapper Member Posts: 2
    Hi this is EDDIE,

I recently received a sum of money which I could pay off about 50 to 60 percent of the total debt that I have.

So my questions are should I pay off my debt first before applying to BMWFS.

My credit score is around 650 and it would surely go up to around 680 in about 2-3 weeks after I make the payment.

Will it affect the money factor or negotiation authority that I might have if I have a better credit score?

I really want to lease the 335i soooo bad.

Thank you so much, any replies appreciated
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Don't think it will matter a lick. Car lease rates and aprs are very flexible. They want to sell you the car so the difference between 650 and 680 is negligible to a dealership.
  • johnimotojohnimoto Member Posts: 9
    Live in Chicago so taxes are an issue (9% purchase, 6% cap usage per month) so am considering owners choice. Dealer is calling back with quote for both lease and Owners choice. Which option is better and about what monthly payment am I looking at. Do not want to put money down but am willing to put down additional deposits for a lease. How much can I reasonably look for the payments to come down with additional deposits?

I have the current MF as .001 and the residual at .58

Thanks!
  • johnimotojohnimoto Member Posts: 9
    Just talked to the dealer and he gave me these options:
    MSRP - 45620
    Selling Price - 44420
    36 Mo/15K Miles

Owners Choice:
    $2000 Drive Off (All Cap Reduction)
    $699/Mo

Lease:
    $2000 Down + $700 Sec. + First Month ($683)
    $683/Mo

Taxes are rolled into the lease.

Is there anything I can do to lower the payment, he said that the acquisition, etc are all non negotiable.

How should I approach the negotiations with this guy? I am pretty sure it is not that great of a deal but from calling other dealerships, nobody has this car in stock so why would they sell it to me for any less?

Any and all input is appreciated.
    What package are worth getting? Is the sports or premium worth it at all? How about the comfort access. Is the sports suppose to include the stepomatic auto thingy and shift paddles too?
    That's for you and your wallet to decide. Only you know if it's worthwhile to pay 2100 to get leather, bluetooth and dimming mirrors. Go to a lot and try the cars out. Determine what you will and won't pay for...then order it or pray some dealer didn't do what most dealers do: load the car up with every option under the sun.
  • bmwnycguybmwnycguy Member Posts: 1
    i can tell you that nobody is discounting the 335i coupe. Whoever says they received a discount is just blowing hot air.
  • drollydrolly Member Posts: 32
    Made an offer on the aforementioned BMW. I wanted to pay around $21500 for it. I test drove it last Monday night along with an Acura TSX at another dealership and liked the BMW a little more. Before the test drive, the sales rep mentioned that since the car had been sitting on the lot so long (November), they would be going to auction after the end of the month.

So, following omerfar's suggestion (and knowing they would be selling at auction shortly if I didn't buy) I offered $20500 for the car, $21000 for the car with the add-on warranty that BMW offers (the $1395 one that extends the service and maintanence from 50k to 100k miles). Got a phone call and email back explaining how my offer was under wholesale (BS), they'd be losing money on the car for that, that she could "maybe squeeze a couple hundred dollars" out of her manager, and then they displayed the TMV page where it shows the car is worth $26000 retail. I explained to them I don't put much stock into that because according to that, that means the car is only worth a few thousand less than when it was originally on the lot 3 years and 30k miles ago. Series of emails and phone calls followed. This was Tuesday, Jan 30th.

Got an email and phone call from the dealer the next day (Wed. Jan 31). Called back and they basically asked if we could find a price whether or not I'd come in today to sign. Absolutely I said. She figured out the difference between what the car was asking ($23998) and what I was offering ($21000). She said she'd talk again with her manager and knowing that I'd come in today to sign, she'd see what she could do. Dealership calls back about 15 mins later. Best they can do is $300 off because anything more and they'd be losing money on the car, but they can also knock $400 off the warranty, so it's like they're knocking $700 off. More discussion followed, but what it came down to is that they were still only coming down $300 on the car.

Granted, when I initially test drove the car the sticker price was $1000 more, but they wouldn't come anywhere near my offer. I found out that a guy I work with has a friend who works in this dealerships finance department and he asked her about the dealership. Apparently this dealership would rather lose money on a car at auction and save face instead of coming down on price and creating a reputation of a dealership where deals can be had. Really frustrates me as a consumer. I'm in the process of moving to a different job where I'd make significantly more money than I do right now and might even be looking for a new BMW in the near future instead of this used one. There's no way I'll be going back to a dealership that would rather lose money at auction than make a customer.
    Move on to a new dealer. Some dealers don't want to make a sale. Not your problem...find someone who will make you happy.
  • drollydrolly Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the support. I was starting to feel like I was being unreasonable even though I have a pretty good understanding of wholesale, trade-in, retail values, etc. It's good to know that I'm justified in sticking to my offer.
  • jonwjonw Member Posts: 4
    I received the following quote for a 2007 328i from a southern Cal dealer:

Options: Automatic and sport package
    Invoice $33730 + dealer fee $800 (mats included)

Is it a good deal?
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    KYDFX:

I'm looking at the possibility of leasing either a 335 coupe or sedan tonight. Can you give me the pertinent leasing info?
    MSRP = $44,750
    Assume price of $43,000
    Term = 24 or 36
    Down = Zero or $3k
    10,000 OR 12,000 miles per year

THANKS!
    Sorry Vinny, but I haven't seen this month's numbers yet..

I can work up a price using last month's numbers, if you like... Something tells me that the 3-series numbers won't change much, though the 5-series are getting worse..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'll assume a sedan, since the deals are better... using the January numbers...

$44750 MSRP
    $43000 Selling price
    $43625 CAP cost (selling price + acq.fee)
    3yr/36K lease
    63% Residual
    .0015 MF

Payment = $537/mo.+ tax
    Due at signing = 1st payment, security deposit, title/license fees (approx.$1500)

With another $1500 as a cap cost reduction, the payment would drop to $493/mo.+ tax

3yr/30K?
    Payment = $525/mo.+tax
    with $1500 extra down = $481.mo.+tax

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks! I was referring to the sedan as you assumed> Can you run 24 month/12k numbers too?
  • jaschwarjaschwar Member Posts: 2
    I am going to be buying a relatives 2004 330XI with 23k miles at lease end in one month. Does anybody know the process for purchasing at lease end by someone other than the current lesser?

Also, the end of lease purchase price that was set when the car was originally leased is $26.6K and I was hoping that I could negotiate down from that number, does anybody know if this is possible?
    $571/mo. + tax

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• omfs4omfs4 Member Posts: 2
    Just offered a 2007 328i sedan with manual, navi, heated seat and bmw assist w/bluetooth...

MSRP 36445
    Final price 34500 (500 above invoice)
    RV 64% (10k each year for 3 years)
    MF: 0.0015
    Tax: 7%

No downpayment except fees and security deposit..(about 1600)

Monthly payment $425 a month

How's the deal sound?
    There's a deposition fee when i return the car after the lease ends...is that common? I've never heard of such fee until today. anyone? thanks in advance
  • maxim49maxim49 Member Posts: 41
    Your payment should be around $418.89. And yes, BMW has a disposition fee due at the end of the lease.
    Thanks again!
  • bmw330bmw330 Member Posts: 8
    Ok, ladies and gents, here's what I have infront of me:

2007 328i jet black coupe with automatic as the the only option.

$399 month lease 3 years/10K

$4500 out of pocket total for EVERYTHING (tax, security, tags, all of it)

I live in Rockville, MD

good deal or not? please let me know!!! Thank you!!
    I am not familiar with MD's market condition and tax situation. However, the deal is similar to the special lease currently offered on BMW website for 328i coupe -- same model/spec (auto with non-metallic paint) and same lease term (3yr/10k mi). You can use it as benchmark.

Let's assume that the whole $1,211 difference ($4,500 - $3,289) in out-of-pocket is all for tax, title and other legitimate fees, the monthly payment is still $10 more than advertised. You may want to find out why. And, even if it mirrors the lease offered on the website, I wouldn't consider it a good deal because that would be like paying MSRP.

Just my 2 cents. People from your area may have better insight.
    Thanks for the feedback. I e-mailed 10 dealerships in the area, and only got 2 repsonses, with only one willing to give me this deal.

The car would have to ordered, but I wonder if I'm jumping the gun here....anyone from MD/DC/VA area who can offer advice?

Originally cash out of pocket was going to be $6200 for this car to equal $399 monthly payment.
  • maxim49maxim49 Member Posts: 41
    Take a look at posts 7181 and 7183. This is a deal for a 328i, with more options than you are getting any he/she is saving $4,500 out of pocket. I would not go with this deal. If you're happy with it, then that is fine, but if you're looking to save money, then I would continue looking instead of getting ripped off. I would any day, pay an extra $18 a month and keep the $4,500 in my pocket.
    Good luck!
  • edrnedrn Member Posts: 17
    First, as someone who was burned on 2 previous BMW lease deals, please please get yourself the LEASE KIT as offered by www.leaseguide.com/leasekit It's well worth the $ spent.Never pay MSRP. Never put $$ down, it's like throwing money away, you never get it back. In MD, you will pay taxes on the full purchase price of the car. If you decide to buy the car at the end of the lease, you DO NOT have to pay taxes again. This is a recent change over the past 3 years. 10K miles are not alot of miles for a car. You really have to keep track of your driving habits. I don't know if you have any earlier posts, so I'm just going with my recent experience. Please know the MF and don't let the dealer tell you it's different. I currently lease a 2003 330XI, lease expires this month. I really educated myself with the help of everyone here at Edmonds.com :) In the long run, I've opted to keep my car, buy the extended warranty, save myself over $200.00 a month. At the end of my purchase: I'll still own a great car or I may decide to sell it myself. WIN WIN FOR ME. Good Luck!
  • bubulikbubulik Member Posts: 16
    Kyfdx:

Your advice is greatly appreciated. The numbers below are for Seattle area.

Car in question
    2007 328i Steptronic transmission and heated front seats

Dealer quote
    The MSRP is $34,870.00. Will sell it to me for $33,823.00 plus tax and license.

Offer
    With $3650 down the payment would be $398.00 per month for 36 months at 10,000 miles per year.

I have not done any due diligence but any numbers you could run for me using Feb specs, would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!
    Hard to say, without a breakdown of the $3650.

The straight numbers on that MSRP and selling price is $407/mo.+tax..

At that, you'd have 1st payment, security deposit, acquisition fee due at signing... About $1500.

That leaves about $1800 unaccounted for in your deal... If the total sales tax and title/license fees equal $1800, then they aren't marking anything else up... If they are less than that (and, I'm guessing they are), then there is some padding going on..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If i buy my car from far away, will I still be able to take to my local dealer for the free maintennce needs? Or i must take it to where i buy it. Also I know when you get the bimmer, your get free car washes too, does this apply to any dealers or just where you bought it?
    Any BMW dealer will do the free maintenance.. Whether they offer optional benefits such as car washes and loaner cars is up to the individual dealership..

My local dealer states that only their sales customers get those benefits, but my last car was bought elsewhere, and the service department never brought it up.. Free loaners, Starbucks, and car washes, regardless..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for getting back, kyfdx; appreciate it.

Here is the breakdown I received from the dealer:

The $3650.00 includes
    the first month payment of $434.21
    a security deposit of $450.00
    a license fee of 180.00
    rest is cap reduction of $2586

What do you think? Any advice is appreciated.

Do you also have the lease numbers for Feb?
    Thx
    What state do you live in?

What is your tax rate?

Does your payment include tax?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• luvautoluvauto Member Posts: 25
    Feb. Money Factor by BMW Financial for 328i sedan is .00155 for 24 and 36 months. Acquisition Fee is $625. :)
    Thanks for getting back kyfdx.

Dealership is located in Seattle, WA.
    Tax rate in Seattle area is around 9.1%
    The monthly payment dealer has quoted should include tax.

Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks again!
  • kkhomekkhome Member Posts: 9
    Not bad..
  • ramseynyramseyny Member Posts: 7
    My dealer told me tonight that the money factor on a 36 month lease is .0021. What's with the difference? Do you think it differs by state? Acquisition is $625 and turn in fee is $350. They did seem negotiable on price and gave a $1,500 discount right away before negotiating began.
    The BMWFS buy rate for 328i sedan is .00155 in February. Add .00015 if you don't put a security deposit. The dealer can mark up .0004. Therefore, your dealer is trying to charge you the maximum money factor. I would suggest you to run away from that dealer.
    This is what I get..

$34870 MSRP
    $33823 Selling price
    $31862 CAP cost (selling price + $625 acq.fee - $2586 CAP reduction)
    MF .00155
    Residual 64% (3yr/30K lease)
    Payment = $350/mo.+ tax = $382/mo. including tax.

So.. your dealer is quoting $48/mo. more..

What I think? That he isn't really selling you the car for $33823.. More likely, the selling price is probably MSRP, or they are adding in some other charges to make up for the supposed discount. And, the dealer is most likely marking up the money factor to the maximum (.00195).

With the money you are putting upfront, your payment should be $382/mo.

Hope this helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• outieoutie Member Posts: 42
    Hi, we got a quote of $36370 for a 2007 328i coupe with automatic and metallic paint option. MSRP is $37745. This is in SoCal.

Is that a good price for the coupe?

What kind of payment should we expect for a lease with or without ~2500 down and 10k/yr for 3yrs? Thanks!
  • addiaddi Member Posts: 33
    Hello All,

Trying to findout the MSRP for this new product. Both BMW and dealers say they do not know the pricing for this model at this time. Dealers will be getting this model end of March. All dealers I have contacted are saying they are not going to discount this car as it is a new model. They want MSRP or better. CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your assistance. Addie
    Ok, so originally I got quoted by a couple of dealers the following terms in Maryland:

328i Coupe, with auto as only option:

399 month
    4500 total cash out of pocket
    3 year/10K lease

Now, just last night, a dealer responded to my inquiry saying they would lower the payment $30 a month to close the deal (370 monthly, 3/10K, 4500 out pocket).

I have to admit, I suck at this. I replied and asked if they could throw in heated front seats, and metallic paint for the original terms I put out there (3/10K, 399, 4500). If I get that, is it a good deal?

My payments have to be around 399 for me. Since I will be selling my car this upcoming week, I get 4K back from it, so adding 500 isn't going to kill me.

kyfdx, you have been a great help and resource, can you offer any advice for me?
  • wbb56wbb56 Member Posts: 45
    I am working with my local dealer to purchase a 335i Sedan buy/lease. The car I want to buy has a MSRP of $45,734 (w/Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Bluetooth and Satellite radio). My offer-- 43,630 + destination. Which I think they are going to accept.
    Now the question(s).. Lease or buy. I typically keep cars 5-6 years, have never leased a car before--but have read much on this forum and it looks like it may be a smart way to go even I intend to purchase the car at the end of the lease.
    What kind of deal should I expect or ask for on a 36 month, 15k mile/yr. lease?
    Are there any straight finance deals available that would make biuying a better deal?
    Thanks very much in advance.