Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,985
    If the car checks out.. and you get a look at those service records.. then the asking price is okay.. I'd think a deal around $17K would make me happy.. maybe $18K, if everything is fixed..

A question to ask yourself.... If she has all of the service records, and services the car regularly, why is she trying to sell it with a warning light glowing on the dash, and brakes that sound funny?

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    only, folks. Posts about BMW sales in general are being removed.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Can somebody clear up the extended maint contract purchase option on the 2006 325i for me?
    I see that there is a approx $1K item to purchase, what does that buy me?
    I want to have full service (like the first 50K miles) extended to 7 years/100,000 miles.
    It extends the full service to 6yr/100K... It is identical to the original maintenance plan, and will usually pay for itself..

However, you can buy it at any time before your original plan expires..

It does not extend the limited warranty for repairs, however.. It is just for the scheduled maintenance..

regards,
    kyfdx

• rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    .. **but the fact that she hasn't responded to a warning light on her dash, tells me she hasn't serviced the car, since her free service ran out in '03...**

That would get me scratching my head ... this Bimmer needs to be looked at real close, run a Carsmack and have the body man put an eyeball on it .... clean cars get cared for, low miles doesn't guarantee anything ......

Terry ;)
  • lex_koltlex_kolt Posts: 15
    I'm also looking at cars in NJ. Which dealership offered you the quote? I'm currently dealing with Ramsey BMW internet department, no numbers yet though, still comparing cars.

Also if you look at carsdirect.com you'll see that all options are offered at the invoice for the 3 series. Anyways that's good news for me if I'll choose 330 over G35, cause my biggest issue is price.
  • jynxjynx Posts: 9
    In-stock at a local dealer:
    MSRP: $37,895
    Color: JET BLACK
    Interior: BLACK LEATHER
    OPTIONS
    Premium package, sport package, automatic transmission, heated front seats, aluminum trim, satellite radio

I built "similar" car TMV @ edmunds.com MSRP= $37,345; INVOICE = $34,280.

1. I don't see the $550 difference betweens 2 MSRP's.
    2. $35,500 is good offer?

Thanks in advance.
  • garyhungaryhun Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I believe nobody should buy anything on loan he couldn’t afford otherwise.
    Having said that, I just got this leasing offer on a 325 BMW. It seems suspiciously good, but I haven’t done a leasing ever so I don’t see where the catch is, where I’m misled. (I’m a self-employed guy so I could use the tax advantage.)

I’d appreciate your help. (This is Raleigh-Durham area, NC.)

Retail value (MSRP) 33,020
    Net sales price 34,470
    Lease end value 63 %, 20,802
    36 months
    Money factor: 0.00305 [what’s this anyway?]
    Cash cap reduction 4,500 (that’s how much I’d pay upfront)
    Acquisition fee: 825 (can I negotiate to lower it to the recommended 625?)
    Tag/title 62
    Doc fee 398 (isn’t it too much, isn’t it negotiable?)
    Adjusted cap cost: 29,345 (33,020-4500+825)
    Tax rate/amt 3 % (what’s this, which is better, higher or lower?)

Base montly rental: 401.94 = 390.23+11.71 (tax)

Amount due at start: 5,510.74 (4,500+401.94+ something else, what’s that?)

Two more questions:
    If the MSRP 33,020, how much can be negotiated from that? (When I was leaving, the sales guy already mentioned 500).

How low usually can you negotiate the lease end value %? Is it realistic to get a 55 %?

Thank you in advance (sorry for being lengthy),
    Best to you all,

Gary
  • eric2005eric2005 Posts: 5
    I'm wondering if anyone has leased 325i in southern california recently.
    I just got a quote from a dealer in San Diego on a 36m/12K lease for an automatic with metallic paint.

MSRP: 32745
    Buying price: 31745 (1000 off MSRP)
    Acquisition fee 825
    Money factor 0.00295
    Monthly payment with 8% tax: 527 (0 down)
    First payment including registration/title: 830

Is this the going rate in So. Cal. now,
    or can anyone suggest a bimmer dealer that has a better price recently.
    I don't mind a few hours driving to pick up a car that can save hundreds.

Thanks.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Cash cap reduction 4,500 (that’s how much I’d pay upfront)
    Acquisition fee: 825 (can I negotiate to lower it to the recommended 625?)
    Tag/title 62
    Doc fee 398 (isn’t it too much, isn’t it negotiable?)
    Adjusted cap cost: 29,345 (33,020-4500+825)

1. Never put money down on a lease. If that car is wrecked or stolen you're out $4500. And remember you return the car, so again, nothing down on the lease. Pay for what you use. This holds unless you're doing Multiple Security Deposits.

2. On a lease you negotiate the price of the car just as you would a purchase.

MF is the finance rate. That's a really high money factor (the one offered by bmw is 00250 on a 3 year/45k miles lease and that's obscenely high too).. Your rate is the equivalent of 7.3% apr. Ouch! Just get a loan and you'll save major bucks. It sounds like dealer is trying to scam you hard core.

Visit www.leaseguide.com to get more information on leasing.

If the car's msrp is 33k, you should be able to easily knock 1500 off that. Remember, the 3's a commodity just like a G35/TL. The mystique of the BMW has passed...it's a car and they want the deal.
    Eric,

1. 1k under msrp isn't such a hot deal for you. So cal = swing a dead cat and hit 5 3-series cars. They can do better. Which dealer? This sounds like San Diego BMW (the worst in San Diego by far).

They bumped the money factor as it's 00250 right now on 3 year/45k. That's over 1% (more actually) apr... or over $20 extra per month.

How the blazes are you gonna keep yourself under 12k miles a year in San Diego?! It's a 20 mile drive roundtrip to just about anywhere.

I'd suggest trying Cunningham BMW (1500 off shouldn't be a stretch) or Santa Barbara. Cunningham will try to bump the MF too. give them one point - MAX.
    Blueguydotcom,

Thanks for your prompt answer.

I just started getting quotes and as this is my first bimmer, I have no idea about dealers in SD region...

As I read through this list, it seems that BMW is in great demand in California, so you won't get those 2500 off deals as in NJ/Long Island, and that's why I am trying to get a general idea here before negotiation :)

I will try Cunningham today too. By giving them one point, you mean 0.0026 right? How do you know BMW's current MF of 0.0025? I thought it's 0.0020 as I read the previous posts here...
  • virtualbmwvirtualbmw Posts: 86
    $1000 off and a point of so and the lease factor is a good offer in this market now. Most of the purchases are being transacted right at or near MSRP with max rate. You'll love the car. I'd go anead and get it. Instead of running all over the state trying to save $500 and getting a bunch of run-around.

By the way, Cunningham has just two cars, Brecht one, Harloff three.

Most of the dealers only have a couple so, I wouldn't expect them to bend over backwards to get rid of one. I think that you've been made a good offer.

Max money factor bump is 3 points with security deposit....check that out.
    Happy Motoring! ;)
    As I read through this list, it seems that BMW is in great demand in California, so you won't get those 2500 off deals as in NJ/Long Island, and that's why I am trying to get a general idea here before negotiation

Once you figure out what you want send those exact specs to a dealer with your price. Hit them with faxes or emails and request a callback for their counter-offer. Regardless of the dealers statements when you visit them, the 3 series is in serious competition with the rest of the entry lux class. They'll play ball and the fleet/internet guys are far more likely to do this than the salesguy on the lot.

If you don't need it now, ask aboutt cars headed for the USA. What's on lots at this moment shouldn't be your concern. Getting the car you want should be.

I will try Cunningham today too. By giving them one point, you mean 0.0026 right? How do you know BMW's current MF of 0.0025? I thought it's 0.0020 as I read the previous posts here...

It could be. I found the mf for 3 yr/45k miles. I couldn't find the 3 yr/36k MF. I just wonder how you can expect so few miles in San Diego?
    Money factor is the same for any 36 month lease, regardless of 30K/36K/45K.. Base MF is .0025...

... **They'll play ball and the fleet/internet guys are far more likely to do this than the salesguy on the lot** ..

Sorry .. but the internet manager is usually the lowest guy on the totum poll, they have little or no more horsepower than the "standing" salesperson, and they all get their prices from the GM anyway .. this is becoming more and more an "urban legend" as the days go by ...

Terry.
    I don't think even 45K is enough for San Diego, lol...

I am getting quotes for 15K as well.
    Residual (61%/63% for 12k/15k) seems to be the same among all dealers.

But I don't know if they are "supposed" to make some profits by pumping up the MF?
    Just like they are supposed to make money by charging over invoice :mad:

Also don't know how much I can talk down for the acquisition fee,
    which is $825 now compared with the normal $625?
    I hope that this isn't off-topic but in response to this post. I can tell you as the internet sales manager here that I don't have to check with anybody on a price. I structure all the deals including finance and it's up to me to determine selling price, rate, everything but a trade appraisal.

I know it's not like that everywhere and our internet department sells a lot more cars than most dealers do but I all the GM does is tell me that I'm doing a good job and gives me a little pat on the back about once a month.

Most of the internet and fleet departments aren't there to sell the cars cheaper. They are there to accomodate different types of buyers than the traditional lot traffic whether it be broker deals, fleet deals, out of state deals, internet deals....there's similar money made on all of these transactions. It's just faster, easier....maybe you deal with more savvy, veteran pros that hopefully are shooting you straight and have some good insight. I know our fleet and internet guys/gals here are among the top people in the industry. Very, very good people.
    But I don't know if they are "supposed" to make some profits by pumping up the MF?
    Just like they are supposed to make money by charging over invoice

It's an avenue for profit.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    I really need to relocate, $500 off is like begging around here so $500 over would be a miracle. Is a good question though, How does your commission break down ? Has your center ever ran out of cars? Im assuming when they say allocation there is a limit to the number of cars one center can order ? Over 500k E46 were produced the highest model ever for BMW. Could they have sold 700k ? if the sales pricing was a little more aggressive?

DL
  • longhorn4longhorn4 Posts: 9
    What kind of deals are people getting in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex area (and which dealer)? I'm interested in 325i pricing--and finding that dealers here are in love with their cars, so much so that they're not willing to negotiate much. Thanks.
    Everything is relative........look at the cars in the segment and you'll see that the BMW is priced right about in the middle of the pack. And, arguably is the best bang for your back when considering total cost of ownership.

I'd say the pricing must have been pretty agressive seeing as they dominated the segment with that car.

I think what some people are experiencing is that there just aren't that many available 3's yet and a great # of the incoming vehicles are pre-sold. A "good deal" is certainly a state of mind and I'd bet that the people who have bought these cars already are quite pleased with their "deal".
  • garyhungaryhun Posts: 3
    Thanks for your help

Gary
  • kyfdx - It does not extend the limited warranty for repairs, however.. It is just for the scheduled maintenance..
    So that means I need to also consider purchasing an extended warranty in addition to the maintenance. Thats fine, I am also assuming that I can purchase that later.
    After asking the sales guy and hearing "you must talk to the finance people to get the prices" leaves me cold. I expect the sales guy to be able to answer that kind of question.
    Thanks
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    Great advice, great post!!! :shades:
    .. **I can tell you as the internet sales manager here that I don't have to check with anybody on a price. I structure all the deals including finance and it's up to me to determine selling price, rate, everything but a trade appraisal** ...

I'm sure my internet "managers" tell the same story ..l.o.l...

Terry ;)
  • wco81wco81 Posts: 495
    Yeah maybe they make tweaks to the looks in the next model year or the one after that.

The back end looks cheap and common.

People are kidding themselves if they think people pay without any regard to looks or that they should give no such consideration.
    People are kidding themselves if they think people pay without any regard to looks or that they should give no such consideration.

i have. Bought an 01 Jetta 1.8T even though I thought it looked like a Bauhaus pillbug. Bought an 03 330i ZHP even though I think it looks like a sleepy dog with an overbite. and my 03 Protege was what color?...I think green. I sold it two weeks ago and the details of it are slipping away faster than Oprah in an avalanche.

Assuming I do ED an e90, I can assure you I find it even less attractive than my Protege. I'm buying the car for how it drives. And it's competition is just as homely.
  • bmwyayabmwyaya Posts: 11
    Hi everyone,

I just placed an order for a 2006 325i on the first week of June. To those who have recent experience with custom ordering a new BMW, and expecially those who ordered the 2006 3 series, how long would it take (approx) to be ready for delivery to the customer? Also, since BMW is manufacturing some of the 325i in South Africa, what is the odd of getting on from this plant?