Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,097
    You can't buy the extended warranty from BMW, unless you are the original owner.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• saa4saa4 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2008 328xi BMW with Cold Weather, Premium Package, IPOD USB adaptor, and an Automatic.

I purchased in the Boston Metro Area for $38,000 with additional $229 fee for documentation. The MSRP was $41,900.

Did I get a good deal considering the 09's are in?

Should I have purchased the wheel protection?
  • gpovagpova Member Posts: 3
    looking to lease a 2009 335xi, any thoughts on when the best time to lease is?
    Would it make a difference to wait for novermber rates or pick up one that's in stock already?
    Thanks
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    I was told by my dealer that Nov. rates will be the same as Oct. rates. We''ll see....

(The best time is usually at the end of the model year, like now on an '08.)
    Thanks, I cant seem to find a 2008 335xi in the NY/NJ area. Whats your thought on this deal?

2009 335xi, premium, cold, auto, upgraded sound, ipod, comfort, and metalllic paint: MSRP 51,375, sales price 48175
    36x10k miles
    Base payment 635, No Cap reduction

Money Due at Inception
    1st Month Payment: 635.36
    Security Deposit: 650.00
    Acq Fee (Upfront): 725.00
    Fees & Ins: (Upfront) 105.00
    Upfront Taxes: 2,047.83
    Cap Reduction (Cash): 0.00
    Total Out of Pocket 4,163.19
    Customer Rebates: 0.00
    Total Initial Charges: 4,163.19

Any insight would be extremely helpful - Im new to this leasing thing.
    The sales price is a reasonable price to base the lease on, but aim for $1000 or less over invoice. The first payment (inception) seems high. You might want to add the tax to the monthly payment instead of paying all taxes up front.

Most feel with leases one should put down the least amount at inception in case, heaven forbid, the car is totaled. Then you lose everything that you already paid.
    Than makes complete sense.

Thanks
  • richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    Guys, just a suggestion. Ive been reading this thread for a long time and I know every reader and poster is looking for advice and the best deal. If asking advice you should just use the figures: how much plus or minus invoice and the fees and interest. Believe me, NO ONE is interested in going through your deal with a fine tooth comb through every option wholesale vs retail because no one cares about your deal except in general terms everyone understands plus what you did to get the deal, your tactics, rebates given etc. and which dealer so someone else can try to get the same deal. Ive just noticed over the years that your particular deal is generally ignored unless it is generalized for all the readers. In other words when you ask "blah,blah,blah, did I get a good deal?" No one is going to answer unless it benefits everyone. Just my two cents. Save your fingers!
  • tmkl1tmkl1 Member Posts: 10
    Which dealership in the Boston Metro area did you buy from? That is a good deal relative to my contacts with Boston area dealers.
  • speedy19speedy19 Member Posts: 71
    KYFDX,
    I dont want the extended warranty (the car is already CPO).
    I want the extended Maintainence plan (100k Maintainence). this is extra. I am going to buy it from BMW direct, but any idea on the cost / price I should expect on a 06 750li?
    30-40k miles?
    I've got no clue on a 7-series.. For a 3-series it's around $1500..

You have to buy it through a BMW dealer.. Call around, because some dealers may mark it up as much as $500-$1000...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andrewkmmandrewkmm Member Posts: 1
    hi
    located in south west ohio,
    i am looking to lease what my dealership calls a new loaner BMW 335i (a car used as a service loaner with less then 15000 miles)

the 335i was priced at 45,570 and was reduced to 41,800
    nicely equipped with premium package and cold weather, with xenon lights, leather and premium sound
    i was quoted $439 per month for 36 months 12000 miles a year
    $3998 due at signing
    $2400 cap reduction (what is this??)
    $101 tax on cap reduction

i feel that $439 a month is too much for a loaner

i would appreciate the help and advice on what to do
  • entdocentdoc Member Posts: 2
    Its hard to say hi whats too much...
    The cap reduction is a way to reduce your monthly payments by reducing the "cost" of the car, basically paying down the principal.
    So as I understand it, your paying a total of $3998, which includes a $2400 cap reduction... right?

If so, then you need to know what the money factor of the loan is (should be 0.0013) in Ohio and also the residual at the end of the lease. Given all that $439 is not too bad. You can compare the rates for an '09 at the BMW website also.
  • misterepmisterep Member Posts: 52
    Extended warranty is available on CPO BMWs.
  • sammybmwsammybmw Member Posts: 19
    Purchased new 2008 BMW 335I PP,ZSP,Auto... Paid invoice according to edmunds.com and other sources plus $480 minus $1210 automatic rebate.
    The 2009 MY would cost $3105 more because of the increase in base price and sport package (ZSP), and the Logic 7 is now an option, and no rebate on the automatic. :D
  • bmwx330bmwx330 Member Posts: 10
    What dealer offer you is a horrible deal. Go to bmwusa.com and look at their current lease specials.

You're better off going back to dealer and tell them you want the Maunufacturer lease deal for a '08 model car with 0 miles.

$449*/month for 36 months
    based on MSRP of $44,100

$449 First months payment
    • $2,500 Down payment
    • $450 Security Deposit
    • $3,399 Cash due at signing
  • speedy19speedy19 Member Posts: 71
    Hi KYFDX,
    I just noticed that the CPO 100k warranty is not bumper to bumper, nor is it anywhere near it! I didnt expect a complete coverage, but it seems the coverage is basically only if the engine fails (above 50k miles, I mean). It exlcudes almost all the electrical components, NAV, CD, etc. These are the most likely thingsto go out, according to my investigations! What to do? Any recommendations?
    Well.. it covers more than just the engine, but you are correct, it's not nearly as comprehensive as the limited warranty that comes with the car, new.. Even a CPO car is still a used car..

I guess it all depends on your risk tolerance. Personally, I would never own a 7-series.. and, I don't have access to your bank balance, so I'm not sure what to tell you... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bahnbahn Member Posts: 4
    After reading several dozen posts concerning prices quoted by dealers over the past several months, I am miffed that no dealer in the Chicago area appears prepared to reduce MSRP by anything more than 5.5% on 2008 335i models.

For the 2009 models, the discount is no more than 5% (not too bad considering that these vehicles are just now arriving on dealer lots and will not soon be last year's model.)

Invoice price is about 8% below MSRP on the 335i, yet any deal close to it (or below it) seems nothing more than a pipe dream. Every lengthy negotiation ends up being no more than 2.5% to 3% above invoice for the 2008 and 2009 models, respectively. I am running out of dealers to visit!

What I am seeing is something like this on a $50,000 MSRP 2008 335i sedan:
    Selling Price = Invoice + MACO + Training Fee + $800

For a $51,500 MSRP 2009 335i sedan:
    Selling Price = Invoice + MACO + Training Fee + $1100

Perhaps the free upgrade to an automatic transmission deal earlier in the year resulted in people quoting deals effectively below invoice. I now find myself hesitating to purchase a new BMW because of what I read on this forum. I feel that I am not getting a great deal (except for the special financing, which was available for most of those who posted and claimed below invoice pricing.)

Is it a bad time to buy now? Is it best to hold off for a few months? Any advice would certainly be appreciated.
    The supply of '08s is dwindling... It's possible that they don't need as many incentives to get rid of the remaining stock. Plus, they've expanded the 0.9% financing to almost the entire '08 model line.. On $40K, that's worth an easy $3000 over conventional financing.

The pricing examples you give are historically low by BMW standards.. Especially for the '09s, which are just coming out.. Add in the 0.9% for the '08s, and that is also a pretty good deal.

It happens every year... as the supply of the prior model year cars goes down, eventually they kill the incentives, or pay lump sums to the dealer. The deal might not be quite as good as August, but I doubt it will get any better.. (for the '08s).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• maclicksmaclicks Member Posts: 2
    Appreciate any feedback on this lease NJ dealer

2008 Alpine White BMW 328i Prem, auto, heated seats and ipod adpater
    36 months 10k miles

MSRP $38,700
    Invoice $36,355
    Selling price (including any discounts from MFR or Dealer) $36,250
    Residual $22,833 ( 59%)
    Money factor .00075

Breakdown of inception fees.

$449 (1st mos payment inc. NJ tax) + $725 (bank fee) + $268.50 (motor vehicle) + $199 (doc fee) + $13.93 (upfront tax on doc fee)

$449 month
    $1655.43 due at signing

They would also willing to pay part of my last month lease on current BMW 328xi coupe which I leased from another dealer.

Any info or comments appreciated.
  • liche90liche90 Member Posts: 28
    I think thats a great deal. and its a plus that they agreeded to pay for your other lease as well.
  • powerjopowerjo Member Posts: 33
    Hi,

2008 BMW 328i w/ Steptronic, Power and Heated Seats

MSRP $36345
    Cap Cost $33874
    Residual Value $21444 -- Rate .00075 -- 59%
    36 months with 10K miles

$386.78 + Tax and $1749 drive off (1st month payment+Security Deposit[$450]+Bank Fee[$695]+Tax Bank Fee[$62.55]+Tags[$120])

Is this a good deal? Please be advised.

Thanks~
    Thanks for the info! It encouraged me to contact one other dealer just North of downtown Chicago and they were able to sell me the car at a decent price. All smiles here!

I purchased a new 2008 BMW 335i, with many options and 14 miles on the odometer, at invoice price with 0.9% financing. What the dealer called invoice price already included MACO and Training Fees. So the car was sold to me 7.1% below MSRP plus sales tax.

They originally wanted to sell me one assembled in South Africa, but I wanted a 335i assembled in Munich, Germany. Many will say there are no differences in quality between the two assembly plants, which is probably true, but I did not want to take a chance on it. I owned two VWs, each assembled in Brazil and Germany, and experienced significant problems with the one assembled in Brazil. Perhaps I was unlucky, perhaps there is more to it than that.

Well, here is the deal I received:

2008 BMW 335i
    MSRP: $49,550 (including destination charge)
    True Invoice Price: $45,586
    MACO + Training Fees: $454
    Out-the-Door Price: $46,040 (plus sales tax)

Black Sapphire Metallic
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Dakota Leather
    STEPTRONIC Auto Trans
    Heated Front Seats
    Navigation System

If it wasn't for this forum, I would have certainly paid more. Thanks to all those that posted their sale details, as it allowed me to do my homework before approaching the dealerships.
    wow thats a great deal! Where can you check if your car is made in Germany or South Africa? or does only the dealer have the info?
    It's a letter in the VIN that's different... Unfortunately, I can't remember which it is.. (and, I used to have a S.A. sourced 325i.. :surprise: )

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Purchased new 2008 BMW 335I PP,ZSP,Auto, Heated Seats, Satellite, USB... paid invoice according to edmunds.com and other sources plus $480 --- MINUS $1210 automatic rebate ---. Even BMW's web site mentions to ask about the free automatic. You can debate the $480 MACO and Training Fee but I paid less than invoice. Plus the .9% Financing Rate. I'm very happy with the deal.

The 2009 MY would cost $3105 more because of the increase in base price and sport package (ZSP), and the Logic 7 is now an option, and no rebate on the automatic. I keep my BMW's for a long time, still have a 94 325 so I care less that the 2008 is a year old.
    That's correct.

Look at the 7th letter from the end of the VIN...

If A, F, G or K, then the vehicle was assembled in Munich, Germany.
    If B, C or D, then it was assembled in Dingolfing, Germany.
    If P, E or J, then Regensburg, Germany.
    If L, then Spartanburg, South Carolina
    If N, then Rosslyn, South Africa

The window sticker should state the final assembly point. I also notice that on some cars, there may be a sticker at the end of the front passenger door that mentions the same information.
    Read your original post a few days ago before purchasing my 335i...

You definitely got a terrific deal.

No deals like that around my area after visiting many dealerships, except on 2008 demos.

One question, when did you purchase your 2008 335i for that kind of price?

I ask because the automatic transmission incentive supposedly ended on June 30th and there no longer seems to be mention of it on BMW's website. Several of the dealers I visited stated the offer was available earlier in the year.
    well, the way that the economy is going, they are probably going to offer some more incentives in the up coming months.
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. BMW is getting away from the lease business where they leased their cars like banks did with mortgages. Now they ended up with a glut of cars which are worth far less than they took in lease payments. So to get away from this subprime market, they will have to offer rebates and low financing like the rest. They also plan to build and distribute less cars than before so they don't have to push cars out the door and suffer big losses on a car. I wish them luck. I bought my last BMW in 1994 and this is my second in 2008 so I'm not the kind of customer that keeps the money flowing to them,
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. BMW is getting away from the lease business

For years BMW has been subvented their leases with artificial high residuals and much lower than market interest rates (i.e. the money factor). A majority of BMWs were leases so I also thought they were in the car rental rather than car sales business. While BMW couldn't compete based on price but by playing around with lease numbers, they could definitely compete on the monthly lease payment as other auto manufacturers choose their residuals and money factors based more on reality.

This finally caught up with BMW so now their residuals and money factors are just like everybody elses. Of course their monthly lease payments have gone up big time although they now seem to advertise low lease payments requiring a huge down payment. Many are now finding that BMW residuals are often lower than their competitors - a dose of reality for those who thought their cars had higher resale values than the competition.
  • jpcernijpcerni Member Posts: 1
    2008 328i

MSRP 39,800
    Invoice: 35,740
    Buying it for: 35,900
    Residual: 58%

Lease Terms: 435 a month plus tax (466 tax included), 12k, 36 months

0 down, 2600 out of pocket. First Month, tag, title, registration, dealer fee (bs) and bank fee (825) it seems all of the south florida dealers charge the bank fee, and a security deposit (first time BMW owner).

money factor: .0017

Should I do it?
    Its not too bad of a deal. maybe you can get like the dealer to pay for the "dealer fee"
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Your observation is dead on. The next question is how long before the prices drop big time on the glut of late model returns and trade-ins that sit on the lot. The asking prices at dealerships do not reflect any concession to the economy or the oversupply of these cars. Who would spend 35-40k for a two-three year old 3 series? How long before they adjust their expectations?
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    The asking prices at dealerships do not reflect any concession to the economy or the oversupply of these cars.

Depends on how much it costs them to keep cars on their lots and customer demands. If people are willing to overpay for a used BMW there is no incentive for them to change their asking prices. It always amazes me that people who earn enough money to buy a BMW or M-B don't seem to be fiscally responsible shoppers when it comes to their cars. It's like financial planners can't figure out the basics of leases ; ( Or maybe they don't mind throwing money away.

If someone pays the dealer's asking price for a two-year old BMW they will be in for a shock if they determine their car's true value in a few years - the depreciation will be incredible, especially after the warranty period. The fact that some BMW dealers are offering discounts for those who elect to purchase their car at lease end is incredible and shows that BMW does indeed understand the current financial situation. I guess those shopping for two-year old BMWs are making an emotional instead of a rational decision. IMHO!

A funny thing happened to me - I requested some quotes on an Acura a few weeks ago and one dealer adds dealer accessories that he charges $750 for to every car in stock. (I checked the Acura web site and could buy these accessories for $275). My response was that with the current economic situation this type of behavior was quite stunning bordering on the idiotic. He should be trying to get my business instead of trying to make another $500 in dealer profit. Told him he could throw these in for free and that I was willing to pay exactly zero for this package. He agreed but I informed him I was not interested in a dealer who was looking for any way to gouge the customer. It's a buyer's market - act accordingly!

PS For those asking about leases - I can hide my grandmother in a monthly payment. You need to know the MSRP, the capitalization cost (i.e. purchase price), the down payment (preferably zero) and the money factor used to determine whether it's a good deal or not. Concentrating on the monthly payment is a tried and true method for car dealers to confuse you and extract as much $$$$ from your bank account as possible. But it seems to work!
  • soupconsoupcon Member Posts: 25
    the auto trans incentive is still in effect thru 10/31

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/FinancingOffer/2008335i- SedanAPR.aspx

i am betting they will extend and probably enhance incentives over the next month.
    The 3 & 5 series BMW's are stunning cars. Beautiful lines and wonderful interiors. They drive like dreams. They have big emotional potential for those looking for more that just a ride. Oh yeah, did I mention status. The dealers are aware of that customer base and still believe there are enough of them to warrant business as usual practices. If they can swing it , more power to them but when the supply of goodies exceeds the demand something has to be resolved. I suppose that if new 08's are still on the lot 1-2 years from now, there actually might be an attitude adjustment.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Which BMW model did you recently lease? I know the money factors on some 2008 3 Series models are only 0.00075 through the end of the month. Tempting.
    X3..

.00125 MF, and killer residuals..

It's for my wife... and exactly what she wanted, so just dumb luck that they have good lease deals at the same time.. :blush:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The other important point I want to make is that a 2009 335I is going to cost $2025 more more if you want the Logic 7 (+875, it has become an option!) and the sport package (+300, a previously optional trim line was added) as well as a $800 base price increase. So even if they offer the free automatic on 2009's. you are going to pay more. Of course if your are buyer that likes new cars every few years, you would be buying a car of less value. I purchase my cars and keep them a long time, I still have a 94 325I is excellent condition. Giving the state of the economy, I suspect BMW will have to get into the rebate type business. But beware, the dealer might not be forthcoming in telling you about and you'll think you got the best deal in the world at invoice. Car dealers and car salesmen's can be as desperate as we are. I suppose the salesmen may be more desperate because you can actually afford to buy a bmw which is extremely high priced in some regards, ie. if you want a luxury car to show off, there are other less expensive choices, I would even purchase a BMW with a lot less luxury items because of the way it drives, even manual roll down windows.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Good deal! Hope they fixed the software problem that drove previous X3 drivers nuts!

I was thinking of buying a CPO 2007 328i with 18k miles, Steptronic, PP, SP, CWP, Xenons, and rear parking sensors for $28,995. The only problem is the sales guy lied to me about the car's history of ownership. He didn't know I did a Car Fax check, and talked to an honest salesman about the vehicle earlier in the day, so the deal may be a "no-go". Even if the car turns out to be fine, (the Car Fax report showed no problems) I hate dealing with a liar.

Other possibilities: I have 2 days to decide if I want to buy a pretty basic new 2008 328i for 0.9% or lease one for 30k miles given the bargain 0.00075 mf and not much of a bargain 59% residual. I should be able to get invoice either way.

I like the rear of the 2008 better than the refreshed 2009 version. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same vehicle.
    What are your comments for this 2009 lease deal on a 328?

MSRP - $42,970
    Selling Price $40,992.65
    Money factor is .00235
    Residual is 70% (2 years at 12k miles per year)
    Payment is $658.07 plus tax – ($54.62) = $712.69
    Total due is $2685.06 (first payment, $712.69, doc fees $389, $561.12 for registration and titling)

Thanks.
  • bmwbuyer2bmwbuyer2 Member Posts: 7
    I am really in a bind if for an 08 this is the best they can do..

msrp 36350
    black on black.. leatherette with power seats and heated ONLY
    price 33450
    resid .59
    acq 625
    miles 10k
    nj tax
    adj residual 21,460
    rate 1.4
    Everything rolled into payment $474 month

Please help me out...

Many many thanks!
  • tangtoptangtop Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys,

I need some help on whether I have a good deal here or not.

2008 335i
    Sport Package
    Auto. Trans
    Ipod connection
    15K miles/yr.
    $0 Down, only first month and tag and title due on inception.
    $564/month taxes included.

Sorry I dont have any MF or residual information.
    Thanks for the help.
  • rob34rob34 Member Posts: 58
    Not very good since I just got a similar deal for a 335i x drive, selling price, 50k in round numbers, $2500 up front inc. first payment. And I thought I didn't do very well.
    I will say, I am so happy with the 2009. It looks so good inside and out in space grey with lightly tinted windows.
    "Not very good since I just got a similar deal for a 335i x drive, selling price, 50k in round numbers, $2500 up front inc. first payment."

It sounds different: my offer is based on approx. $40K cap. cost (about $44000 MSRP, heavily optioned), $1600 upfront and is a 24 month (12000 mi./yr.) lease. I failed to list those facts when I posted (and the $2600 first payment as posted was a typo) .

Glad you're enjoying the 335, great car.
  • goldenmeekogoldenmeeko Member Posts: 7
    hey guyz im close to getting a 2008 alpine white 335i with auto,prem, navi, ipod, sport, etc. and im going in the dealer on tomarrow and i need your help! im planning to lease for the first time because i realized that i get bored of cars and i have never kept a car for more then 2-3 years so i wanna lease. what should i look out for and how much you think i should pay? i was thinking 1.5-2k down and about low-mid 500s do you think thats possible?
    Do your figuring on line with the internet sales dept. , Get the bottom line price first then check with the moderator --carman-- and others before you visit the dealer. With the right info you can easily figure your payments and make a decision.
  • goldenmeekogoldenmeeko Member Posts: 7
    ^^^ yeah that