Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,946
    Residual was 59%, money factor .0010...

Hard to say on the 330ci.. You'd have to figure a hypothetical MSRP, first..

Sedan lease numbers aren't as good, even taking into account the big dealer cash incentives..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• alebradyalebrady Posts: 19
    kyfdx,

how about an '05 330ci with msrp of $42,570?

I am a little bit confused about how to evaluate the attractiveness of a lease. the MSRP is fixed, the cap cost seems negotiable (this would reflect whatever 'discount' you are able to get off msrp, correct?), the MF appears to be not fixed (??? - what determines the level of the MF? is there a range by model?? - i assumed it was 'fixed' by BMW similar to how an interest rate is somewhat 'fixed'), and the residual which appears to be fixed.

I am confused because if the MF can vary on a lease by lease or deal by deal basis how can you ever figure out what reduction off MSRP you are getting - and thus figure out if Lease Deal A is better than Lease Deal B?

Do my naive questions make any sense?:(
    For the 330ci.. with about a $2K discount from MSRP, figure about $25/mo. more than the 325ci..

MSRP is fixed..
    Selling price is negotiable
    Residual is a % of MSRP, and that is fixed by the bank.
    Base money factor (aka "buy rate") is fixed by the bank. However, they permit the dealer to mark up the money factor by up to .0004 (resulting in the "sell rate").

Captive finance companies will sometimes use artificially low money factors and/or artificially high residuals to make cars more financially attractive, without having to lower the price.. That is why you see so much variance in the numbers.

The conventional wisdom is that you negotiate the selling price first... then figure the lease numbers.. When you have a trade-in, that tends to complicate things, as it does with any purchase..

regards,
    kyfdx

• weno2weno2 Posts: 38
    Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of incentives for May?
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    April went thru 05/02 they should know something tomorrow.

DL
  • mathew1mathew1 Posts: 42
    Hi kyfdx,

Thanks for your feedback. I did close a deal near Boston area for a 2005 xi with automatic for around $30,400. The dealer gave the heated seats options with the same price. I called around and apparently due to BMW releasing the xi version only next year, the cars are pretty much sold out.

--Mathew
    kyfdx,

thanks a lot that helps clear things up for me!!

When you used a MF of .001 on the 325ci calc you gave me before i assume this was without the .0004 markup that would be possible?

is there anywhere to get base MF rates by model (without the markup)??

thanks again!
  • amt7565amt7565 Posts: 165
    I am hoping for additional incentives as well.
    I went last weekend to get a 2005-330i. It had an MSRP of $42,200.00. (I also test drove the 2006 325i. )

Dealer asked me what it will take me to buy the 2005 330i right there right now. I said $33K- LOL. He was visibly upset. I walked off.
    Yes.. .0010 is the base rate for the 325Ci...

.0008 for the 330Ci..

I assumed the base rate to impute your selling price... so, if they were marking up the rate, then the selling price would have to be lower to come up with the same payment.. either way, the effective result is an $1800 dollar discount from MSRP..

regards,
    kyfdx

kyfdx,

excellent -- one last question. where are you able to get the base rates from? can i assume that these are the base rates that any BMW dealer would be dealing from (or should be dealing from) for the specific models?

Actually, i guess these are really the last questions:) do you know the base rates on the '05 325/330 sedans and the '06 models?

you've been a big help and i really appreciate it!!
    The base rates are set by BMWFS.. The dealer can add up to .0004 to increase his profit..

'05 sedans have base money factor of .00225

'06 sedans have base money factor of .00265

All of those numbers expired yesterday, though.. We usually don't find out the new numbers until later in the week.. (though the dealers get them today).

what is the volatility like on the base rates month-to-month...just in a ballpark sense?
    Usually, very low volatility, unless they are using the rates to incentivize sales..

great, thanks kyfdx!
    kyfdx,

well, i did find out that the may coupe MF are unchanged (at least thats what 2 dealers told me).

I was hoping you could clear up some ambiguity i have around "drive-off" costs (since i hear dealers talk about them in different ways). i was thinking of drive-off costs as essentially a fixed cost of leasing the car (flexible in that a portion of it is related directly to your negotiated monthly payment and the tax on this) including 1st month+tax+fees, etc.

But some dealers seem to consider the drive-off as fixed and say they cant do anything to alter them (other than the monthly payment aspect of it) while others dealers seem to be more flexible on what the drive-off will be (is this because these dealers are including whatever they knockoff the drive-off costs to the capital costs that you are paying over the course of the lease)?

Should i be considering the drive-off costs as a further downpayment (in addition to my trade-in) when running numbers through a lease calculator or should i exclude the drive-off costs and view them as a fixed cost that i will have to pay regardless of my deal?

hopefully, my confused question makes sense!:)
    Drive-off cost... or due at signing.. should include:

1st payment
    Security deposit
    License/title fees required by state..

Cap cost (aka amount financed) should include:

Selling price
    Acquisition fee

That is it.. no "downpayment" (aka cap cost reduction), no advertising or destination fees, no dealer prep or document fees..

If you have a trade-in, have them put an actual cash value on it (ACV), and cut you a check for it, minus any amount owed on the trade.. Then write a check for the drive-off costs..

regards,
    kyfdx

kyfdx,

I have been looking for an '05 330ci as opposed to the 325ci we have been talking about. its been difficult to find in the configuration i want but one dealer had a 330ci with performance package. with other options the msrp came to $47,170

his offer was my trade ($3000) + 1700 drive-off/ 36 mos/ 12k mi:

499/mo without tax

like the other deal, this one doesnt seem bad but not great either - agree?

I was thinking that if it was close to 450/mo without tax that would be a good deal - agree?
  • amt7565amt7565 Posts: 165
    Just checked Edmunds for the incentives. Incentives for 330i ($4200) and the 325i($2500) have been extended till 5/31.

AMT-
    Wow... 47K for a 330Ci? You'll have the most expensive one on the planet.. That deal doesn't sound so good.. I'd rather have the $39K 325Ci you were looking at... That is a decent deal.. can probably get a little more knocked off with a solid offer.. that is the way I would go...

regards,
    kyfdx

kyfdx,

thanks - im thinking im going to do the 325ci as well - unless i am able to find a 330ci with a starting msrp around 42,000.