Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Glad to see someone in DFW getting a great deal. i had considered that as well...

I could not fit a ED in my schedual this year unfortunatly. So I picked up a 2006 on monday,

DL
  • scarydwscarydw Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2005 325i and the dealer bullied me into buying the extended warranty for $1895. Does this seem overpriced? I am a first time BMW owner and don't know the costs of repairs, etc. Please advise. Thanks.
  • mexa05mexa05 Posts: 8
    OK, i apparently had the wrong car, i did price 2 of them.
    330xi leather, xenon, auto, heated seats for $35K in the minneapolis area. is there any room for further negotiation here?
  • unouno Posts: 15
    If the MSRP is truly $42K, and the selling price is truly $33K, then I'd be down there in about a half hour to close that deal..

Anywhere around $7K-$7.5K off MSRP would be a great deal... '05 330xi are getting hard to find..

Does this apply to 2006 model as well?
    If not, could you please suggest a good deal on 06's?

Thanks a lot for help.
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,876
    If the MSRP is $42K, then $35K is probably bottom dollar... I thought that $33K seemed a little unrealistic..

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

No..it doesn't apply to '06s....

So far, deals have varied greatly on '06s.... they have only been out for a week.. Not sure what would constitute a "good" deal... I personally don't even try to buy "hot" cars.....

regards,
    kyfdx

• amt7565amt7565 Posts: 165
    So you almost bought the car I purchased...WOW! Well, thanks for leaving it for me. I owe you big time. By the way where did you get the car at?

Congrats on the new 330. If you see anyone with a 2005 330i blacksaphire, honk. It could be me!
    What was the MSRP and how much did you pay for the car?

Though, German cars are not as reliable as the Japanese cars, the extended warrenty might have not been necessary. See, you are covered for 50,000 miles anyway, and if you only keep it after that, that an extended warrantt might come in handy. However if you should decide to keep it after that, then repairs can be very expensive and the extended warranty can certainly help. I hope you got the extended warranty and not the extended maintainance. Do you know for sure?

AMT-
    I got the optional service contract with BMW for the terms of 72 months or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. I paid 26,608 before tax and license.
    If the car is new, then the price you paid is excellent.

Regarding the service contract you mentioned- I am not sure if it is the warranty or simply maintainence.
    There are 2 things:
    1- General maintainance like oil change, brake pad replacement, alignment etc.
    I think this is a waste. And if they are charging you that much, and If I were you, I
    would try to talk to them about taking it off. This will for example, not cover any
    problems with the transmission or engine. And those repairs are really expensive.

2- Extended warranty. This might be a good thing on the long run if you decide to keep
    the car after 50K miles. This should cover most problems.

If the service contract you obtained is the one described in 1 above, then perhaps you should try to speak to them about replacing the service contract with the warranty program described in 2. I think it will cost a little bit more but might be useful.

I could be wrong, but I am sure someone else here will be able to explain and clarify better.

AMT-
    yeah funny. I had talked to the internet guy over there before. Blk Sap/natty brown is going to be a popular combo im betting since its no longer available. I purchased in Richardson. But they are getting a new facility down the tollway from me early next year. My deal involved a trade so i came out best there.

DL
    Thanks for your help. The car is new and I actually purchased it thru Cars Direct but had to pick it up at the dealers. I'm going to call them re: service contract because when the finance manager explained it to me, it sounded like it covered anything wrong with the car.
  • oliverxoliverx Posts: 14
    I got a mechanical breakdown insurance for my new 325i from my car insurance company. It cost $30 a year with $250 deductible. It can be carried as long as I own my vehicle.
  • jsamsonjsamson Posts: 23
    Just got back from the dealership today where i brought my 04 es330 for a possible trade on a 06 325i
    heres the breakdown:

Trade in value - approximately 27600 (includes portion of taxes previously paid)
    MSRP of 325i - 32,300 approximately - an absolute base 325i with the only option being the auto transmission.

roughly 7k out the door

i told the guy i was willing to do 5k flat, he told me impossible,
    right now im contemplating whether to do it or not.

what do you guys think????
    I am not familiar with the 'es' part of the 330.
    I test drove the 2006 325i and the 2005 330i. The 325i was not match for the older 330i. So I bought the 330i.

How different is the es330 from the 330i I wonder...

AMT-
    es330 as in lexus es330, pretty much the polar opposite of the bmw 3 series.
    Hm your BMW and Lexus same dealer ? interesting. would do this get a independent appraisal of the ES, carmax if theres one in your area. They tend to beat KBB by at least a couple %. Keep the trade a separate deal from the New car. Thats how I negotiated my deal. I did NOT tell my dealer what other quotes I got on my trade and agreed on a price on the New vehicle. I then let them bid up my trade til I thought it was a reasonable offer. When they just say X difference you don't really know where you stand. Also make sure your new deal includes floor mats they are extra my center includes them, but some still don't without a fuss...

Good luck,
    DL
    The lexus and bmw dealerships are separate.

the bmw dealers appraisal is quite fair from the research ive done, ive looked up kbb and edmunds and my wife even brought the es330 to carmax about 6 months and 5000 miles ago when we were offered 26k only.

the 27,600 fields bmw offered me did include the taxes i previously paid for the vehicle.
    but they wont budge at all on the 2006 325i
    so i ended up leaving, still unsure whether its worth the 7k out the door
    i would have wrote the check if it was 5 to 5500 out the door.

maybe they were knocking the 325i price down 1000 to 1500 and just making my trade appear to be appraised more, of course i believed them when all 06 3 series were going for msrp, either way they said 5k out the door was "impossible"
    Yes, the price is steady on the 2006 3 models. They only started rolling out last week and I am yet to see one on the street. Perhaps you should wait a few months until the prices stabilize. I waited 3 months to get the price I wanted.

Good luck!
    Out-the-door doesn't mean too much to the rest of us, because we have no idea what that entails... How much of it is tax, dealer fees, etc.?

The difference between your trade-in value and MSRP is $4700... I think the trade-in value on your Lexus looks fair... So, MSRP for the new one, plus taxes and fees?

If you really want the new car, that looks okay, but do the taxes add up to $2300? If there are $500-$800 of bogus dealer fees in there, then it isn't so good..

regards,
    kyfdx