Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Hi all.

I am considering getting a 328i fairly soon to take advantage of the 0.9% financing. For those who have taken advantage of that financing, how stellar does your credit have to be?

My credit is above average but not excellent (high 600s, low 700s depending on agency), and my wife is likewise in the low 700s.

Would this generally be enough to qualify?

Thanks
  • bragosabragosa Posts: 1
    4runnerguy1,
    which Houston dealer?
  • soupconsoupcon Posts: 13
    they told me at crevier bmw that it is essentially pass/fail when it comes to these special rates and threw out a number of 680.... Fwiw.
  • Does this sound like a good deal in NJ?

328xi, Premium, Cold Weather, Automatic, Navigation, Xenon.

41k + Taxes, Title, etc.
  • hchen45hchen45 Posts: 6
    I don't think so.
  • Its Momentum BMW on US-59 but my deal is not finalized yet. Will keep you guys updated .. Thanks ...
  • Hey hchen45, any particular reason why?
  • amirvamirv Posts: 2
    "
    cool good post, thanks for the great info! just one question, can you clarify the dealer_profit? what should that be typically? thanks.
    "

I'm happy you liked the post. As for your question:

Purchase price formula for a 335i:
    invoice_price + maco (400) + training (180) - automatic_option_credit (1260) + dealer_profit.
    (MACO is region dependent. This was from Fremont BMW)

The dealer_profit part of this formula I think depends on the car and the dealer. I remember somewhere reading that it is between $300-1k. But I think it might depend on the car. Some cars seem to be much higher in demand then others. I think for a 335i sedan in August 08 you should easily be able to do $500 or less dealer profit. Tthis might be because I was looking at fairly fully loaded cars... not sure if car options play into dealer profit.

I would search through the edmunds forums. I would also try searching bimmerfest (I tried a little bit... but I couldn't find the post I was looking for).
    In google type: "site:bimmerfest.com dealer profit"
    You may want post at bimmerfest's ask a dealer forum - I would post for the exact car type and options you want to know the dealer profit for. Sometimes they give quite valuable answers:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20
  • jdcar1jdcar1 Posts: 7
    Just leased a 335 coupe..auto...fully loaded. MSRP $51,500. Got $4500+ off sticker. Leased for 36 mths, 15k miles a year, 54% residual, .0017 money factor. Think its a pretty good deal. Shopped it at couple other dealers and no one could come close to the $4,500 off MSRP.
  • rob34rob34 Posts: 46
    What is your monthly payment including tax? What did you put down?
    This is an initial offer on a car in stock. What part of this deal should I be negotiating? Obviously I am looking for a lower monthly payment. I am pasting the actual offer.

Model 0843 335xi USD 41,200.00
    Color 475 Black Sapphire Metallic 550.00
    Upholstery LCSW Black Dakota Leather N/C
    Options ZCW Cold Weather Package 850.00
    465 Split-folding rear seats including ski bag N/C
    494 Heated front seats N/C
    ZPP Premium Package 2,650.00
    319 Universal Garage Door Opener N/C
    430 Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors N/C
    431 Auto-dimming rearview mirror N/C
    488 Lumbar support N/C
    4NA Digital compass mirror N/C
    639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth System N/C
    ZSP Sport Package 1,000.00
    2CY 17" Light-alloy wheels Star Spoke (style158... N/C
    2XA†Sports leather steering wheel with padd... 100.00
    481 Sport seats N/C
    203 All-wheel-drive N/C
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic transmission 1,325.00
    653 HD radio 350.00
    6FL iPod and USB adapter 400.00
    Net Total 48,425.00
    Destination Charge 825.00
    Gas Guzzler Tax N/C
    Total Suggested Price 49,250.00

AN055S-FI WAQ Quote Worksheet - Lease taylorj2 7438
    Quote No.: 237750 17) Protection Plans (W):$ 220.00
    1) Contract Date: 08/15/08 18) Service Cont (W):
    2) First Payment Date: 09/14/08 19) Maintenance (W):
    3) Lease Institution: BMWL70 20) AN VCP (W):
    4) Stock Number: 8A285817 21) Total Add Caps (W): $ 825.00
    Adjusted Cap Cost: $ 47,295.00
    5) M.S.R.P.: $ 49,250.00 22) Cash Cap Reduction:
    6) Residual Adds (W): 23) Total Sales Tax: $ 2,200.68
    7) Residual Value %: 58.00% 24) WA.TAX/CR.ENTER:3 (W):
    8) Mileage Penalty:
    9) Residual Value: $ 28,565.00 Base Monthly Rental: $ 664.41
    10) Capitalized Cost: $ 46,250.00 25) Security Deposit:
    11) Term: 36 26) Ttl Annual Fees (W:
    12) Lease Money Factor: 0.00190 27) Ttl Initial Fees(W: $ 242.25
    13) Customer Cash Down: 28) Amount Due At Start: $ 967.79
    14) Rebates: 29) Ttl Working Cash(W:
    15) Total Trade (W): 30) One Pay Amount:
    16) Credit Life/A&H Code: NO 31) Total Monthly Payment: $ 725.54 Command (?): Open P.O.s
    The $1000 sports package. Does it change the suspension? Doesn't say anything on the BMW website, it just says sport steering wheel and sport seats when building the car online. If it does include a "sport" suspension, is it rough? Is it worth it? I would have it with the 17 in wheels and all season tires. I have a 2005 x3 with the sport suspension and I am a bit tired of the, at times, non-compliant ride. Of course I want great handling too. Any insight would be great.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,593
    The seats are more comfortable and the steering wheel is more impressive in the sport. The sport ride is a little harder. Drive one and compare to the non-sport. In short, the sport is nicer for the driver than it is for the passenger (also generally true for BMWs compared to the softer Lexus, Cadillac, etc.).
  • ehatipehatip Posts: 4
    Just came back from the dealer: 335i with metallic, premium, steptronic and iPod which was advertised on paper.

MSRP on BMW site $45050
    MSRP from dealer $44375 (pre-June figures I guess)
    Invoice from dealer $41370
    Price from dealer $40700
    TTL and doc fee extra
    0.9% apr financing

Started paperwork, will get the vehicle tomorrow morning.

Btw we are in RTP area in NC. This is the dealer in CH. I will post about our dealership experience tomorrow.

:shades:
  • howard18howard18 Posts: 53
    Seems like someone just bought the car for $30K (include dest.)???

Have you tried to get down as much as you can? I am looking to close the 328i base model deal by next week.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,243
    On an AWD 3-series, I don't think you get a different suspension with the sport package.... This is a sedan, right?

Typically, they are marking up the money factor and the acquisition fee to the max.. Those two items are adding about $40/mo. to your payment...

I'd guess the markup over (invoice - incentives) is about $1500-$2000... With that spread, you shouldn't have to pay extra on the other charges, as well.. especially for a returning customer...

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Yup .. but I have agreed to pay $31700 (includes destination) + TT&L (approx 3700 off MSRP) but decided not to go with Momentum because of various reasons. Instead I decided to go with another dealership and am picking up the car this week. My approach was simple, communicate via email for options and prices and once price is finalized, communicate via phone and request a Buyer's Order, financing, etc.
    Hope this helps and good luck with you search.
  • jefft3jefft3 Posts: 8
    Wickedlfe,
    I am looking to purchase the 08 328i BMW. I am in NorthCal, can you tell me which dealer you bought if from? Thanks
  • Just got one yesterday from Flemington BMW in NJ:

Black w beige leather
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Comfort Package
    Ipod adapter
    NAV

It was a dealer demo, used by the general manager (they said). 4k miles, titled to me as new car. Seems like a good deal compared to what I was able to find. Dealership was highly recommended by someone who knows the local dealers well.

Here's the kicker - I got a message saying "Transmission Malfunction", had a hard time turning it off, and now it won't start. Hopefully just a software glitch, but I'm bummed.
    I just can't decide between the 335 XI Coupe vs. Sedan. My salesperson thinks the coupe actually has a better ride. Any opinions on that? According to the BMW website most measurements are pretty similar. Couple is longer and has more front legroom but a little less rear leg and headroom. Also it says the trunk in slightly smaller in the coupe but I read the 335i coupe articles on Inside Line and it says the trunk is over 3 cu. ft bigger on the coupe.

But the sedan is cheaper, especially on a lease and has 4 doors which I wonder how much I will miss. Then there is the 2009 sedan coming out which is supposed to be a bit bigger. But lease offers aren't out yet and i would think will cost a lot more ordering one now then buying an '08.

Most think the coupe looks better, especially in the rear, and i would agree, but I like both a lot. There seem to be a lot less coupes.

I have been told the coupe absolutely is not a sedan with 2 doors. It has many different suspension parts and other differences.

Would love opinions on which is better or preferred any why.

Thanks
    I forgot to ask something above. I noticed the 335i coupe and sedan both have a sport package option that includes sport suspension but the 335xi coupe and sedan sport package option does not include sport suspension. Does anyone know why this is? Can anyone tell me if they notice a big difference? I actually want a smoother ride but I also hate body roll. I will be getting all seasons.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,582
    Does anyone know why this is? Can anyone tell me if they notice a big difference? I actually want a smoother ride but I also hate body roll.

Back in the late '90s my wife and I owned two 3 Series that were identical except for the fact that my car had the Sport Package. My car handled quite a bit better(I still have it, in fact) but there was little difference between the two with regards to ride quality. The xi cars don't get the sport suspension because BMW NA believes(correctly, I might add) that 99% of the people who buy an xi will not drive the car hard enough to approach the limits of the stock suspension, never mind the sport suspension. If you are an exception to that rule, BMW Performance offers a sport suspension for the xi that you or your dealer can install. Better yet, get a RWD 335i and buy a dedicated set of winter tires/wheels. It takes me less than 45 minutes to swap them over in late fall and early spring.
    And buy the coupe; beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes straight to the bone... :P

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    I drove a 2006 330i sedan non-Sport Package for the past 3 years, which I recently replaced with a 2008 328i coupe non-Sport Package.

In the case of my two cars, the coupe is not only a better look but also a better drive, probably thanks to the coupe coming standard with (1) a sport-tuned suspension and (2) what I believe to be better tires (Conti Pros i/o Bridgestone Turanza). The coupe handles much better and, in my opinion, not at the expense of a harsher ride. Put another way, I notice the better handling whereas I do not notice a rougher ride.

If cost may be a factor, you will pay more for a comparably equipped coupe than a sedan. The coupe is priced a bit higher than the sedan to begin with, though it does include as standard things which are options (or included in option packages) on the sedan. Examples that come to mind are the sport-tuned suspension and xenon lights. Making matters worse, dealers tend to give considerably less generous discounts on coupes than they do on sedans. And if you are leasing, the situation gets even worse, because the leasing program on the sedan is always (or at least generally) better than the sedan. Having just gone through this comparison process, I would say that your monthly payment on a lease of a coupe would be about $75 higher than a comparably equipped sedan. I was attracted to the lower cost of the sedan, but ending up getting a coupe this time for a nice change.

If you go with an x, I think you don't get the sport-tuned suspension, not even if you get the Sports Package.

Instead of getting an x, you could do what I've been doing - the winter wheel/tire changeover thing. The initial investment is less than the cost of x (in my case about half the cost). And over the long term, you'll have a car that has somewhat better acceleration, braking, fuel efficiency, etc. And oh yes, you'll have better handling thanks to the sport-tuned suspension. Equipped with decent winter tires, you can drive the BMW 3-Series confidently in a light to moderate snow.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,663
    ride quality is such a subjective thing that only YOU can tell. Different people have different perceptions.

Just curious on where you're located that you feel you "HAVE" to get an xi (AWD) BMW. Like roadburner said, get a set of winter wheels & tires.