Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,574
    Combine that with pressure on the dealers to unload the remaining 2008's and it's a great time to be dealing with BMWFS.

I agree, the same dealer had a CPO 2008 335i stick with 11k equipped about like the new 2008 for $39,950. Now I realize that the price is negotiable, but still... a new one for only $1,500 more plus 0.9 financing?

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,662
    but it is a SLUSHBOX!

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    You know, I am seeing great CPO deals on used 2007 335i's too.

A 2007 335i sedan in my area with only 14k miles, equipped with SP, PP, CWP, manual side shades, rear parking sensors and the dreaded AT, for only $36,400. I plugged this info into Edmunds' used car gizmo using "good" as the condition and they came up with at least $42k CPO' d. A new 2008 335i sedan would go for $45k-$47k with all that stuff, depending on your bargaining prowess.

Of course someone who traded in a 335i most likely drove it pretty hard. I would hesitate in getting a CPO' d 335i for that reason. Even though BMW tests it, and approves it, who knows? If I get a 335i, it will be "new."

We may never see 0.9% financing on "new" 335i's ever again. Wow!
  • I'd take a CPO also, even a 1 year old one. I"m in the middle of a search to figure what car to buy next and thinking about a 335. Anyone have the depreciation tables for 335? I'm trying to figure out the actual depreciation per year on the car so I can properly assess the advantages against leasing on a per year basis.
  • CPO's are ok given the right deal. I picked up a 02 CPO'ed 330i coupe with a 5 speed back in 02. It was only a couple of months old and in perfect shape. I think sticker was $43K and I got it for $36K plus ttl. I had to sell it 2 years later when my baby was born and didnt loose a penny. I got back my $5K down payment and all my extra $50 monthly payment on the note. Sold it for $28K. If you catch it on a good deal and sell it before it drops, you should be good. There is no reason to eat that first year depreciation, when you can find good ones out there.
  • If you do a search on BMWUSA for CPO'd 335s you'll see the sedans are listing for ~34k and up.

Here's one with 15k miles and it's listing at 35k:

# Premium Package
    # Sport Package
    # Sport steering wheel w/paddles
    # STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission
    # Light Poplar Natural wood trim
    # Fold down rear seats w/ski bag
    # Heated front seats
    # Park Distance Control (rear)

Brand new this car easily sold for 47-48k.

That's a sizable 26-28% drop from MSRP. And there's always wiggle room to get them down more.
    Believe me, I have been pacing back and forth thinking about it.

Paying around $10k less for a loaded 2007 335i sedan with 14k miles as a CPO over new, sounds great. Of course, some of that advantage would be lost in financing. New 335i's are going for 0.9% interest. I figure as a CPO, the 2007 335i would be at least 3.9% through BMWFS. Around $2000 more in interest over 60 months than for a new one. Still, a good deal.

I bought a vehicle in July when my 545i lease was up. Not a BMW. First time in 15 years. Good thing I bought it instead of chaining myself down to a 3 year prison sentence . Nothing like having the flexibility to move on.

My wife must have been reading my mind in the car a few hour ago. She asked me, "Are you thinking of moving back to BMW?" She got that right! :)
    The deal you quote is typical of the fabulous deals out there right now. I think we can thank the higher gas prices for the en masse returning of 2007 335i's and luxury V-8's.

The car you list is exactly how I would want mine, except for the heated seats.

I do believe that you can throw $33k at them and they would laugh, but the next day you would have the car for $34k.
  • Agreed. I have a BMW CCA membership too, so that's another $500. Personally, I'm waiting until the 2009s land. This should clobber the prices on the 2007s.
    I have the CCA membership too. It's good for CPO vehicles.

Good idea about waiting for the 2009's to land here. Those 335i's aren't going anywhere. Most folks still go for the 325i's and 328i's and there are many more of those on the CPO list than 335i's.

By November, those 2007 335i's should be looking pretty good.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I really don't see people posting they are paying $48K even on new ones. There are huge discounts available. You are overstating the discount on CPO.
  • Even a 4k discount is 44k. A 2008 for 44k v. 34k for a 2007 is a 22+% difference. I don't see the value in buying a quickly depreciating entry-lux car new. Sure if you're doing ED it's worthwhile (14-17% discount off msrp) but buying off the lot? No. And by the end of 2008 you'll easily be able to scoop up 2007 335 sedans for 30k or less.

Now would I buy a 335i new with premium package or active steering? No. But if I bought a 335i new, I'd order it so spec and pick up in munich like my last BMW.

When you're comparing a 2008 civic to a 2007 civic and the price gap is a couple grand I can see saying buy new. But a BMW drops like a rock (same amount, but far more $$$$) after purchase, so why not just avoid that first hit altogether?
    the 2007 and 2008 335i's are the same vehicle.

There should be a new crop of 2007 335i's coming to dealers this winter fresh off of their 2 year leases from the first kids on the block to "own" the twin-turbo.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    I thought the '07 335i didn't come out until January or February?

I could be wrong (and way to lazy to look back in this forum..lol). :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Well, the Edmunds review was in November of 2006, so I inferred the car was available at that time. However, you may be right.

I monitor the BMWNA CPO's frequently. Should be pretty obvious when those early boys bring back the twin-turbos.

One more good thing about buying off-lease CPO's-not only do you avoid major depreciation, but any problems-major and minor were already fixed thanks to the original kicking and screaming done by the original leasees and/or the CPO checkpoint inspection. There was a rash of 2007 335i fuel pump problems which should have been fixed.

There are some good deals right now in my area; for example, a 2007 CPO 335i sedan, 13,600 miles, with PP, SP, ST, paddle shifters, manual side shades, back up sensors, and CWP for $37,980. Tempting, but I will wait for winter and the beginning of the return of the 2 year leased 335i's. Looking for $35k or less.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    335i coupes available in October... sedans by November, for sure... maybe earlier..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The first Edmunds consumer review for the 2007 335i sedan was on October 15, 2006.
  • Nope the 335i hit the road in late 2006. They announced the 335 literally weeks after I got my 2006 330i in April of 06.
  • xeyexeye Posts: 162
    Personally, I bought an '07 335xi (Aug '07) and an '08 328xi (Aug '08), both new. My 335xi had 5 miles on it and the 328xi had 1 mile on the odometer. The 335xi was paid off with a year, and the 328xi is financed with BMWFS @ 0.9%.

In spite of the discount of CPO vs new, and although I was very tempted to go the CPO route, when we took delivery of the new cars, I had absolutely no regrets about going with new.

All these forums talk about wasting your money on a BMW if you don't really drive it the way a BMW should be driven. That means flogging it hard, perhaps on a track. With the oil overheating issues on the 335, high-pressure fuel pumps failing, etc, even with the pre-sales inspection done by BMW for CPO cert, you take a big chance on having major repairs. All CPO means is that BMW will repair it when (not IF) it fails. That's not to say that new cars may not require service, but at least the 2nd or 3rd model year would have had these issues resolved in Munich, not at the local BMW dealer.

I drive my cars with respect, pushing them when necessary, but far from abuse. Even with the off-the-lot depreciation, the residual will be better than leased cars, notorious for having been neglected and abused. And if the plan is to keep the car for years, who cares about the off-the-lot drop in value?

Both of our cars are 6 SP stick. CPO doesn't mean that the previous owner didn't learn to drive a manual transmission on your shiny almost new ride. How many curbs were climbed or driven off before you got it? Those potholes that didn't quite crack the wheels? Was the oil ever changed?

No thanks. I'd rather not worry about it. My peace of mind is worth the price, but to each his/her own.

Besides, there is little else that is so naturally (and legally) intoxicating as the scent of a new leather interior. This, as opposed to someone else's stale cigar fumes and flatulence.

xeye
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,593
    .... I had absolutely no regrets about going with new......Besides, there is little else that is so naturally (and legally) intoxicating as the scent of a new leather interior. This, as opposed to someone else's stale cigar fumes and flatulence.

You're speaking my language (LOL).
  • xeye: I'm not following your logic on repairs and the condition of a CPO car. You're implying that every 335 CPO on the market has been (a) driven hard and (b) the driving is so hard that it's going to cause eventual repair.

You have to remember that not everyone that buys a BMW is on these forums or other enthusiast forums. Even if they are, it doesn't mean they drive the cars too hard or thrash on them. There is a glut of people that drive their cars "normally" and thus leave a used car in great condition.

Given this, from a purely financial perspective buying a CPO is better than a new car any day of the week. I'm not knocking anyone that buys a new car (finance or lease). If you have the money, then go for it. But don't delude yourself by justifying that the only way to go is to buy a brand new car because a used CPO "will" fail.
    I didn't realize that CPO stood for Certain Peculiar Odors.

With my saving of around $10k on a loaded 335i, I'll buy a few 14k gold clothespins for my nose. I'll adjust somehow! :shades:

GEEZ!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,662
    if one could purchase a (1-2 year old) CPO 335i or a brand spankin' new 328i. My whole "problem" is spending mid-high $30's for a used car. For instance, I can account for every gallon of gasoline (always super), every quart of oil (always castrol syntec or mobil 1), and every one of the almost 102,000 miles on my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH.

I know the whole depreciation hit a new car takes and that it is financially more responsible. I'm not so much worried about how the cars are treated (abused or driven to church on Sunday) as I am about how the car was maintained. Turbos need oil and I don't think new oil every 15K is going to cut it if I want to keep the car past the 100K mark. Was the car broken in properly? Did the previous lessee start to put regular gas in it when gas climbed past the $3.50 per gallon mark?

BUt logic does seem to get thrown out the window when you're talking about twin turbos, 300 hp/300 lb-ft of torque...