Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sl517sl517 Posts: 7
    Hi, I need your help on this. I just received an offer for a 2009 328i coupe with the following options: auto, sport, nav, ipod for 40000 plus acquistion fee of 750. Should it be included in the total price or is it a separate fee? thank you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    Is it a lease?

All BMW leases have an acquisition fee of $725, which the dealer may mark up for extra profit. The maximum markup is $200..

If it's not a lease, then no acquisition fee...

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

yes it is for a lease. but my question is should i expect to pay that acquisiton fee above the edmunds invoice price which is 39.2k. the dealer told me it is not included. Another question is how much should advertisement fee be. i know its a legitimate fee but how much should i really be paying for that, and again should i include that fee on top of the invoice? thanks
    The fee goes to the bank.. Or, at least $725 of it does... The dealer doesn't get a piece of the first $725.

Advertising varies. MACO (to use the BMW term) is generally $250-$450 per vehicle.

You pay whatever you negotiate. If you agreed to "invoice + $XXX", then MACO is certainly on the dealer's invoice. If you lease, you have to pay the acquisition fee (or roll it into the payment).

regards,
    kyfdx

Here are the details of my offer for a 2009 jet black 328i coupe

Auto
    Sports Package
    Nav
    Ipod Integration
    3yrs/36k lease
    Residual 60%

MSRP 42700
    Price Offer 40000 includes MACO but not acquisition (750) for a total of 40750

0 down payment, 4800 in security deposits for a money factor of 0.00131. Payments will be 548 a month including tax
  • nkhan2nkhan2 Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

hope all is well. i am new to this. i just went to the dealer below is what i was quoted, please let me know if i am getting a good deal or not:

325xi
    Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    Navigation
    Automatic

44k price of car

with $3800 down (which includes all the fees and taxes and first month payment) the lease comes out to $599/month and i get 15000 miles. the guy said if i add the sports package the lease will be $620

i know i am being ripped off but one i did not negotiate at all as of yet. i want to know how much i am being ripped off by so i don't sound dumb when i speak this this fellow.

--
    Regards,

Nasir Khan
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,902
    roadburner - what do you mean when you say the warranty is better for a CPO vs. a new 2009? Are you referring to the additional 2 yrs of warranty on all CPOs, or something else?

Yes, I'm referring to the added age and mileage limits of the CPO warranty.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• Here are the details on my latest purchase

After talking to all the dealers in So Cal I ended up with the following.

2008 335i (new)
    Sedan
    Automatic
    Titanium Silver
    Sport Package
    Premium Package
    iPod
    Comfort Access
    Satellite Radio

Paid 37,845 before tax & license. Even threw in a couple free mats.

If anyone is interested it was at Encinitas BMW and they had a few more in stock.
  • rqysrqys Posts: 3
    bluetacktwo,

who did you contact at encinitas bmw? Thanks.
  • I'd love to say since he was great to work with but the forum rules indicate that I can't post his name. I'd recommend making an inquiry to their internet sales department and they should be able to help you.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    I'd avoid Encinitas BMW like the plague. I did my 2006 ED through them. You have to watch every step with them. When I was shopping for a car recently they kept trying to pull all manner of shenanigans (like claiming the car was at invoice with the rebates, rather than going to invoice and then adding rebates). They always pretend like they've never heard of Multiple Security Deposits. They mark up their MF and will not admit to it.

In my experience, they're not to be trusted.
    With used cars, there's no invoice, correct? So should I be negotiating based on the Edmunds TMV or Kelly BB price? I'm just looking for help on how to figure out what the best price on a car should be.

In this market determine the Edmunds trade-in value and then for a CPO that's about what you should pay. Edmunds and KBB are pretty far behind the curve right now.
  • n this market determine the Edmunds trade-in value and then for a CPO that's about what you should pay. Edmunds and KBB are pretty far behind the curve right now.

Thanks for the help. I guess markups on used cars are greater than I thought. I plugged in the '06 330i I mentioned earlier into Edmunds appraisal tool to figure out the trade-in value. The dealer listed the car at $29,991, but Edmunds says the trade-in value is closer to $22,754 (even for regional adjustments). That's a markup of over $7K - could the dealer be marking up that much?? It looks like I should be aiming for a selling price then around $23,800 (give the dealer a little profit. :) )

~AJ
    Thing is, they probably paid even less than what Edmunds is listing as trade-in. The car (06s especially) probably arrived via auction after a lease return. Someone on another board can show you manheim for the same type of vehicle over the past couple weeks.

Yes, they mark up cars like crazy.
  • AJ--

Sorry, I've been swamped at work, but finally saw your message.

No, I didn't buy the car. They refused to budge on price so I walked (or in my case, hung up since I physically didn't go down there).

In response to bluedot's response to you, I will say though that there are some costs involved in getting the vehicle ready for sale. For example, the car I'm looking at is at 20K miles and there are new run flats on it. I assume the dealer had to put those on (or someone other than the original owner paid for it as it came off lease). So you do need to look at the car you are interested in and make adjustments to the price depending on condition -- new tires are a huge plus as those run flats are expensive.

Good luck.

-ryan
  • Interesting. One of my wife's coworker went to Encinitias BMW a little over a year ago to pick up a 335 and had a similar experience to yours. The sales person at the time was quite rude and said something to the effect that he didn't look like the BMW type. Needless to say he didn't buy his car from there.

However my experience there was nothing but positive. I submitted my request to all the dealers in the area specifically stating what I was looking for. The Encinitas sales person was one of the few that quickly responded with an actual quote. After coming in to look at the car we wrapped up the deal... no games, no hassle. One of the best car purchase experiences I've had.

Several other dealers in the area just tried to get me to come in without providing quotes. Long Beach BMW was the worst. My wife called to get a quote on a 335 they had in stock and the sales person responded back "We're not in the business of providing quotes, we're in the business of making people happy" Funny, getting a quote would have made us happy.

I guess it all comes down to the sales person you get.
  • Adding on to my above message...

I reread it and it may have sounded like I am disagreeing with bluedot. He is spot-on. Most of the CPOs are acquired through auction, and the markup is high. Just wanted to note that costs of transporting the car, getting it ready for sale, etc. are not included in the auction price.

Good luck and let me know if you fare better than I.

-ryan
    Yeah for the CPO process they supposedly spend about $2500 just to get the car in the program. I don't buy that part. I do believe they can spend some cash on reconditioning and repairs. My car came with a fresh set of 18 inch summer performance RFTs - that's a nice little investment.

Flipside, for some reason they did the full inspection on my car but didn't change the oil, even though the car was only 2k away from an oil change. How freaking odd is that?
  • I also highly doubt they spend $2500 to get it CPO'd. I've heard dealers bat around $2K as the number to CPO a car coming off lease. I'd assume that the $2K price is the retail price, so it probably costs much less (who knows, I can't seem to find a straight answer on that one).

So you take the Manheim + CPO cost + recondition + transport + auction fees and then tack on a few extra bucks for profit is my calculation.

Your story is funny. I guess they gamble that maybe you won't bring it in on time saving them $$$. (my wife is one of those people that can remember what I ordered on our first date years ago, but can't remember to check the odometer and bring the car in for service)

-ryan
  • weiweiweiwei Posts: 1
    2009 328xi with

Automatic transmission
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather
    Navigation
    Ipod and USB adapter
    Monaco Blue/Beige Dakota Leathe

List Price: $45150, the dealer is offering : $41950 (invoice)+$500=$42450

Is it a good price? This month has 0.9%finance + first two monthly paid by BMW dealer (maximum to $1500)

Thanks,

Wendy
  • Looking to lease a 328 coupe. I see that there are still some 2008's left at dealerships around Chicago area. Since it is a lease, I do not view there to be any great advantage to a 2009 over a 2008. Can anyone give me a sense or a range of how much would be saved per month leasing a 2008 instead of a 2009? Assume a 36 month lease with 12k. Thanks in advance.
  • Hi
    Dealer makes money by marking up the acquisition fee and the money factor and adding profit. Make sure you demand the " buy rate" and the $ 725 bank acquisition fee which is the mandatory unmarked up fee.
  • skeets7skeets7 Posts: 5
    Hey bluetacktwo, thanks for the heads up on a great deal. I spoke with the young man in internet sales at BMW Encinitas and told him about the "townhall" deal that you got. I asked for the same deal, and told him that I would be willing to drive two hours. I just asked that he email me the same deal on a car I scoped out on their website, so that there were no hitches. He emailed me the deal, and I drove down. They made it easy, and the finance manager was also very easy to deal with. I set everything up in advance, and they kept their word on everything. I left with a new 2008 black 335i that ended up being significantly cheaper than my local dealer offered on a 2009 328i. I let my other half drive it home, while I drove the other car. When we got back home, she just looked at me with a grin and said "you'll love it." Thanks again, and anyone looking to save a bundle on a rocket should get down their before they're gone.
  • lauter1lauter1 Posts: 2
    Hey skeets7, about your deal, how much it is off the original MSRP? I guess more than 10K? do they have special finiancing for 08 new model?
  • skeets7skeets7 Posts: 5
    Yes, it was $10,200 off (plus free mats), and no ridiculous fees that other dealers seemed to attach. As far as financing, it is not BMW supported, but they do offer financing. If you have outstanding credit they can get you a good rate, probably in the 4.5% range. Call and work it out with them in advance.
    Congrats. I'm shocked to hear about this but glad that people are leaving happy with their deals.
  • forex3forex3 Posts: 1
    So far, BMWNA only gave less than 2K for incentives (according to this board). But, since last May, EUR vs $ has dropped about 20%. While at the same time, however, BMWNA increased all the MRSPs (?%).
    European car makers can't adjust prices along with the Euro/USD exchange rate.. They can only charge what the competitive market allows..

Plus, the Euro is up 5% against the dollar, just in the last week... They probably have some sort of currency hedging strategy.. but, sometimes they come out ahead, and sometimes they lose.. they can't base prices strictly on what the Euro is doing over the short-term..

regards,
    kyfdx

• ryan-

so the dealership showed me the actual CPO cost on this car, and it's $1600. I also confirmed the car was bought from this dealership and returned to the same dealership 3 yrs later - a trade-in after the lease ended. so based on edmunds giving me a trade-in value of $23K, plus the $1600 for CPO, I figure the dealer costs on this car are around $25K. I got him down to $27.5K, but he won't budge any further. So, I'll sit tight, and wait to see if the car is still around next Tuesday at the end of the month to try to get a better offer....

aaah, the fun of negotiating!

-AJ
  • I'm happy to hear that you had a similar experience. My wife and decided to break our new ride with a road trip out to Julian. I think I had a grin on my face the whole time. I'm absolutely loving this car.