Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• abcheartabcheart Posts: 2
    Thanks for tips blueguydotcom, :).
  • hollyahollya Posts: 10
    I have been offered on a Lease: 325xi, 18,000 per yr, 3 years, fold down seat, automatic, power seats, $3,000 at down. I don't want to be taken advantage of....is this a good deal. I am a middle aged woman always wanted a BMW. Leasing is looking attractive, but don't know if this deal is, please HELP!!!
    Sorry - the payment will be $498 per month, 18,000 miles per year as I am a real estate agent put on a lot of miles. Leasing is new to me and I don't understand the money factors. Can anyone tell me if this is a good lease?
    It is a 2006. He said the MSRP was $36,000 +. I need a fold down rear seat only for real estate signs.
  • desi1desi1 Posts: 40
    MSRP 41,345
    (Alpine White, Manual Trans, Cold Weather Pkg, Sports Pkg, Terra Leather)
    Residual 64%
    Cap cost before 725 of 39,590
    base money factor .00225
    factor after 7 deposits .00176
    ( Total of 8 deposits)
    Payment including tax of 538.41
    Amount due at inception 4,988.41.

Considering the above, please let me know...
    1. How does this deal sound? My calculations show it to be 1,700 over invoice + 725 (625 Acq + 100 doc fee).
    2. I have asked for 39,590 (including the 725), which gives him 1000 in profit (invoice+725+1000).
    3. How much better can I do?
    4. Should I wait to see the July and/or August MF to get even a better deal as the 2007 models should be coming out in Sep?
    5. He keeps adding the tax to the net cap cost when calculating the monthly payment, but when I calculate the tax after figuring out the before-tax payment, I always come up with about 2-3 dollars less than what he quotes. Any explanation?

Thank you for your help.
  • well I bought the car and I am sooooo happy. It actually ended up costing 30.oo less than I anticipated....walked away without any money changing hands was nice...I fell like I got a keeper
  • vsaxenavsaxena Posts: 201
    For leasing negotiate the following:
    1. Purchase price: $1000 over invoice should be a fair deal and very do able.
    2. Money Factor markup: limited to 0.0004 by BMWFS
    3. Acquisition fee markup: limited to $200 by BMWFS

Everything else is just math!

Money Factors and Residuals for the 2006 325xi
    24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 70% of MSRP – .00285 Base Money Factor Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 60% of MSRP – .00275 Base Money Factor Rate

If you need more miles beyond 15K, you can buy them now or buy them up to 6 months before the lease ends. The rates should not be very different though you should check what the dealer is quoting you.

Your monthly payment on a lease consists of two items:
    1. Depreciation = ( Capitalized Cost - Residual)/Number of Months
    2. Interest Charge = (Capitalized Cost + Residual) * Money Factor.

where capitalized Cost = negotiated price + acquisition fee and Residual = MSRP * Residual Percentage.

NEVER put money down to reduce the capitalized cost on a lease since you lose the down payment if the car is lost or totalled.

To reduce monthly payments, you can make multiple security deposits to reduce the Money Factors (interest rate). Each extra security deposit is worth a 0.0007 reduction; you can make up to 7 extra deposits. Note that if you do not make any security deposit you rate goes up by 0.0015.

Tax treatment varies between states. In most states you pay tax on the total monthly payment.

Your drive off should be equal to:
    First Month Payment + DMV Fees + Security Deposit(s) + Doc Fee
    Is this a Deal or No Deal? 325xi, automatic, power seats, fold down rear seat, spark. graphite paint, 18,000 miles, 3 years, $3,000 down, monthly paymnt of $498. I'm a woman in my 40's and don't want to get taken advantage of. I really appreciate all your input/help on this. Comparing lease quotes from other dealers, this seems good, but I'm not sure. Can anyone let me know soon. Thank you.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,951
    What is the MSRP? Does this include sales tax?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I forgot to tell you that this is a 2006 325xi BMW sedan.
    the MSRP, he said was $36,000 +
    Does the price quoted include taxes?

yes, it was everything.
    It looks like a good deal... Not knowing how the $3000 is broken down, it is hard to give an exact assessment...

But, I assumed an MSRP of $36,500, a selling price of $34,500, residual of 60% for 3yr/45K and base money factor of .00275..

That yields a payment of about $505/mo.. The extra mileage (54K, instead of 45K) adds about $35/mo.. for a total of $540/mo..

If your $3K is:

$498 1st pymt.
    $500 security deposit
    $625 acquisition fee
    $200 title/license fees
    $1080 taxes (6% X total payment? just a guess)

that just about eats up the whole $3000... So, if my assumptions about taxes and MSRP are accurate, you are about $40/mo. under my deal... That would make the selling price about $3500 off of MSRP, which would be outstanding...

That stated, small differences in the assumptions can make big differences in your payment... Your taxes could be lower, the MSRP could be lower.. You may find that your quoted payment doesn't include taxes, once you get ready to sign.

From the information that you've posted, it looks like the dealer is giving you a good deal. The lease program on the 325xi itself is not that outstanding, but the dealer seems to be doing his part.

regards,
    kyfdx

• I just signed a lease on a new 325xi with automatic, winter package, spark. graphite paint, 12,000 miles over 27 months.

The purchase price with ED was $32,200 ($1,330 over European invoice), MF of 0.00285, 71% residual, $825 Acquisition fee, $195 documentation fee, no sales tax since I am in NH.

The monthly payment is $391 a month including 5 additional security deposits. Total drive off costs $3835 ($391 first month payment; $2,400 security deposits; $25 title fee; $825 acquisition fee' $195 doc fee).

Seems like a good deal, even including the fact that the acquisition fee and doc fee are high. But what am I missing? Am I being taken advantage somewhere I am not thinking about? Thank you for your input.
  • quest123quest123 Posts: 1
    This is a great info, thank you.

Should also Bank fees ($670) be a part of drive off payment? The dealer asked me for it, but you did not mentioned it. Is there bank fee when the lease is via BMWFS? What is "Money Factor markup: limited to 0.0004 by BMWFS"? Does it mean that money factor is negotiable and they can go below, let's say ".00275 Base Money Factor Rate"?

Thank you in advance
  • mwildmwild Posts: 2
    I'm a single 34 year old woman buying a car for the first time and am not sure if this is a fair deal. Please advise.

2006 325xi, metallic paint, premium package, cold weather,navigation system, satellite radio, park distance control. MSRP $41,940 selling price of $39,160 with 200 for MACO and 180 for training service fee. Are these always included? The car has to be ordered so delivery is expected in late July...does anyone know if there will be any incentives on the 3-series?

Finally, how much is reasonable to put down, if anything, upon ordering the car? I've been told nothing by one dealer, 1000 by another, and 2000 by another. Thanks so much!!
    I am so undecided...and, I know it's all personal preference but I can't decide between the Sparkling Graphite or the Titanium Silver. What do you think? I am a female late 40's. We've had 3 silver type colored cars, I guess I'm just tired of it but I know it looks sharp. I don't want black, although I know it's popular. I thought the sparkling graphite would be nice and it's darker but not black.
  • Hi! I had a 1999 328 convertible which I LOVED, but recently got rear-ended and the car is totaled. I am considering purcharing a 2006 330Ci - sport package, cold weather, navigation, metallic paint, manual shift... Would you be willing to share which dealership in the area you chose to purchase your car from (My 328 came from BMW of Arlington), how much you paid, and whether any incentives were offered. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • I had a 1999 328Ci (2dr convertible) which I LOVED, but I recently got rear-ended and shoved into the car ahead of me leaving a Nats game and the car is totaled. Nats fans headed for Virginia after games beware the on ramp for 295 - it backs up and not everyone is paying attention... I am considering purchasing a 2006 330Ci - sport package, cold weather, navigation, metallic paint, manual shift... I would be interested in hearing which dealerships in the DC Metro area folks like, price range recommendations, and whether any incentives are currently available. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!