Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,322
    Why would anyone put 6k down on a lease. With everything rolled into the lease you are looking at $640 or so. It defeats the purpose. And 18k miles per year? Very unusual.
  • I don't know his credit score. . .I was just going with figures that I plugged in. I never assume someone has great credit. And nowadays, at least from my experience, if you have anything but perfect credit, you need a down payment. The financing at 475 a month with a 6000 down payment vs. a 640/month payment works out to roughly the same figure after all is said and done. . .

Its just a starting point. 18K/year is not too unusual in my market because most people travel long distances to work.
    $640 isn't attractive for a 3 series bmw--[m excepted]. The good beemer leases seem to appear and disappear. Sometimes the 5 seems great compared to the 3. Finding the sweet spot on a lease requires timing and flexibility. Hooking up with a trusted sales associate, being flexible, being patient and having great credit would seem to be the way to go. Of course people want what they want and they want it now. ;)
  • Now that post, I completely agree with. :)
  • g2369g2369 Posts: 41
    Thank you for the figures, however I don't think I asked my question correctly. I am aware on how to calculate the lease, I just don't have the figures in order to do the calculations.

BMW doesn't publish base money factors or residuals (that I'm aware of) for 18k mile leases. I want to know the base money factor and residuals before I go to the dealer and "take there word for it". I was reading that a dealer is allowed to raise the money factor in order to increase there profit so I just want to make sure i'm getting the best deal possible.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.
    I don't plan on putting anything down unless they require it. Also, why do you find 18k miles per year unusual? I don't live close to my office and I like having extra miles. I also want to lease because I find myself buying a new car every 2 - 3 years. It makes sense for me to lease.
  • Unfortunately, I'm unable to help with this one.
    I will however share this bit of advice. Keep in mind, I'm a car dealer when I say this, a good rule of thumb is to never accept the first offer. Also, if you tell them that you got a better deal elsewhere, they are most likely going to lower their initial offer. If they don't lower their offer it is because it is already as low as they go. But, be firm. If you have many options of places to go, start to walk out. See if they change their tune then. . .Again, if they don't, its as low as they can go. Also, once you settle on the price and figures, don't leave without taking the car with you. Too many times, unreputable sales people will somehow push the price back up when you come back to pick it up. . .
    happy shopping and good luck!
    Thank you rlsonline.

The problem i'm having is that there is only one car with the options I want. It's hard to negociate when I don't have all the figures. I've dealt with this particular dealer before and I know that they raise the money factor so it's kind of hard to trust the numbers they give me.
    Most are for 10-12-15k per year. You will certainly need brakes and run flat tires [$$$$] -- folks lease to pay only for the use of the car. You will be refurbing the car to the tune of 2-3k for BMW not long before you turn it in. As long as you are ok with that possibility -- go for it. :)
    Thanks risoline -- you need to get on board at the sales from the frontline thread. Your insight would be welcome. Other sales associates are posting there. Join in. :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,662
    Your problem also is the amount of driving you do. One leasing rule of thumb is to ALWAYS lease within the parameters of the factory warranty (& in this case BMW's free scheduled maintenance as well) At 18,000 miles per year - you'd probably have to take a shorter lease which would increase your payment - which might defeat the purpose of leasing in the first place.

Example - My Dad just turned in his '07 X5 3.0Si. He drives 20,000 miles per year & took a 30 month/50,000 mile lease. He got a good deal on the car (Invoice + $1K + MACO + Training & Service Fee), but the residual value drops when you buy extra miles up front, even though he got the base money factor. With $0 down (just first months pmt bc he was a returning BMWFS lesee) his lease payment was $960/month.

Have you considered purchasing? Even if you like to change cars every 3 years, BMWs hold their value well & you probably won't be upside down on your car come trade in time.

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,662
    Welcome to edmunds. Its really cool to have an actual BMW dealer posting. Thanks for your time. Please visit Stories From The Sales Frontlines here - I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

• Say did anybody recently purchase a 2009 RWD model? I'm trying to gauge how much a 2010 328i w/Auto and Nav would cost using the same 2009 model for reference. If anything I can use it as a bargaining tool with Infiniti and VW... :blush:
  • Thanks for the invite. I shall do that!
  • with about 3800 miles on it. MSRP $37,450. out of door 28,500.
    The dealer still have another one color black. You may get about $500 less than my price.

Good luck :P
  • jtlajtla Posts: 375
    What region and which dealer?
  • garfield_kinggarfield_king Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    check zip code 93650. Said Andy Refer to there. May get a better deal. The General Manager is very nice guy. :P
  • jtlajtla Posts: 375
    Fresno is too far from me. Thanks for the riddle. :P
  • Hi,

I found a 2007 328i with 23K on it for 24K 1.9 APR. I am wondering if this a good buy. Secondly I am concerned about maintenance costs on the vehicle (high/ low etc). I am on the fence with regards to making a decision due to the maintenance costs. Any feedback and or experiences you share will help. Thanks.
    For 1-2k more you can buy a brand new vw gti with free maintenance for 3 years 36k miles. If you buy a 3 -4 year old euro sedan you shouldn't be concerned about costs to keep it running. They are expensive if you do it right. You could buy it and do nothing but oil changes and only fix what needs fixing. If you join the bmw club expect to pay your dues.
  • Hi Thanks your response, I appreciate it. I do realize the maintenance on European cars is expensive, the question is by how much? As an example, I spend about$35 for an oil on a Japanese car every 5K. Now if on a BMW an oil change is at 10K or so and it costs $80-$100 then this is acceptable cost of doing business for having a luxury vehicle. However, if the oil change is $500 then that is not acceptable. I hope this makes some sense. I am using oil change simply as example.
    edited February 2010
    Check a trusted independant shop for oil change prices. You get into money for brake flushes and filter changes. Repairs cand be costly but some folks never have issues with that. Check on brakes. The oil changes are at 10k mile intervals but the recommended services -- checks of systems add more. Also call a dealer for prices. I know you want that used bmw but just test drive the gti. All reviews are excellent. There are over 35 technical service bulletins for your bmw. Lots of electrical stuff. Roll the dice !! ;)
  • Thank you so much. I will stay away from a BMW in this case. Any thoughts on a Passat?
    The gti and jetta are more in line with the size of the 3 series. The passat is larger and is discontinued after 2010. The jettas are nicely equipped for low 20's new and the passat's 2-3k more. Have you looked over the honda fit? If you really want to save money check out the hyundai elantra touring. Well under 20k brand new and fun to drive.
  • jimbo30jimbo30 Posts: 4
    edited February 2010
    I leased a 328i with premium package only. MSRP was $38,050(?).

I paid $2,000 drive off. I pay $440 per month before taxes. 15K/yr. How did I do?
  • I bought my 328i from VOB BMW in Rockville , Maryland. Sorry that I haven't checked this forum for awhile and did not see your post. So far, the car drives great especially in Sports mode. Not sure how many 2009 still left. But you can check on their inventory on line. Just search on google for the dealer's website. Good luck.
  • I bought a 2009 328i with Auto, heated seat, silver metallic paint. MSRP was $36,800. Price paid was $29,830 plus tax and license. Dealer was VOB BMW in Rockville, Maryland. Good luck.
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Posts: 124
    edited March 2010
    I am a firm believer that you get the best deals at the end of a month. I e-mailed five dealers in northern New Jersey and attached a 328xi that I built online and asked for quotes on same car. The car I built had Nav, sat & prem package..I gave them all the same payment requirements: $4,000 down (inlcuding eveything, first payment, taxes, fees, etc) and then ask for a monthly payment based on 15k a year. The range was anywhere from $500.00 to $550.00 a month (incl. taxes). I asked each for their lowest price and I never would reveal what the other dealers quoted me/ All I wanted was one price, not a negotation. The dealer I ended up with this a car from a dealer in Tenafly, New Jersey ( :) salesman Hugo) I got the car with more options (heated seats, met paint & alarm MSRP around $43,,240.00) for less than the other four dealers that were quoting me for a lesser car. (which included the $1,000 rebate which ended today). The problem is without the continuation of the rebate, the monthly lease will be much higher. I guess we will see what the promotion is tomorrow, I am just glad to have the car now.

Tenafly also seemed to have the largest inventory of the cars and options we wanted. I hate buying cars and I am very happy it is over but the people at tenafly were nice to deal with and not arrogant like other dealers that we encountered.

If you buy a car in North Jersey, go to Tenafly last after you do your homework and know your numbers, I think you will be happy with them.
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Posts: 124
    edited March 2010
    The BMW web site shows an April "Spring" credit of $2,500.00 applicable to leases on the 3 series until the end of the month.
  • nova1967nova1967 Posts: 4
    Hello all. New to this forum. I have been shopping around for 36month/12,000 mile leases on the 2010 328xi coupes in Northern/Bergen County, NJ for the last few weeks. I am wondering if I am in the ballpark for a good deal? The best deal I have been offered so far is as follows:
    2010 328xi Coupe - includes cold weather package, premium package, steptronic automatic transmission, sports leather steering wheel, ipod and USB adapter, satellite radio w 1 yr subscription and $825 destination charge. (Note: Does not include the sport package)

MSRP - $45,950
    Selling Price - $40,915
    Rebate - $2,500
    57% residual value
    .00150 money factor

$1,550 down made up of $354 reg, $6 tire fee, $600 sec deposit and first month payment of $590)

I was quoted at $590 per month including 7% NJ sales tax. The $590 payment also includes $239 in doc fees and the $725 bank fee. (Without the security deposit, the deal would be for $601 per month).

They are also paying my end of lease fee of $395 for my Nissan lease which is ending next week.

Was wondering if this a good deal? Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.