Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,633
    there are many people who will say that the 2006 330 was the last of the "good" 3 series. Don't worry about the 2013's they wont effect the price as much as you think.

Are you shopping for price or the best deal?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,582
    Run-flats: The newer replacement run-flats are reported to have a much better ride than the older OEM tires.. Plus, you can always switch to non-runflats, if they bother you..

'06 330i sedan.. The best naturally-aspirated inline six that BMW ever put into a non-M 3-series... and, it was only available on the '06 model! 255 HP... that's a plus, not a negative..

2013 model... the older the car, the less the model changeover means to value.... Cars are always depreciating.. It won't drop suddenly when the new car becomes available in September..

What could happen? It's a six year old car with 85K miles.... the same things that could happen to any car of that age.. Are you buying from an individual that has service records? How well a car is maintained is important..

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,566
    Awesome blueguydotcom! Congrats! I know you've got very specific tastes when it comes to how a car drives, so you must have been impressed. Won't you join us over on ENTRY LEVEL LUXURY PERFORMANCE SEDANS & tell us what you think of the F30 328i's driving dynamics.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• I am buying from an individual who claims to have serviced it at BMW during the first 50K but after that he claims his local mechanic did. I will probably spend the $150 or so to have BMW look at it and do a full inspection, but beyond that, I guess I take a chance like anyone else.

What do you guys think about the price? The trade in value of the car is around 11-12K but it seems like its a good deal. I don't want to take a loss on the car and really hunting for a bargain. The other price points out there on cars.com and autotrader seem to be fairly higher so this seems like a good deal.

My other concern is that the 335 came out in 2007 and the sport wheels on it look way better than the 2006. Matter of taste I know, but it seems like BMW carried those wheels forward for the next several years.

Any thoughts?
  • I'm really just looking for the best deal out there. I think this is close to the best price I've seen in a while but once the 2013s come out in 8 weeks, I might be able to get a 2007 for the same price with the same equipment. Although, I have to say this has the sport-premium package with Nav, not easy to find at this price....

Also, I'm intrigued by the 2006 330i being one of the more prized models, can you elaborate?
  • Here's the full details on the car:

Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Xenon Lights
    Navigation

Seems like its fully stocked with all the possible options....85K Miles and I plan to get the car inspected by BMW for full checkup.

What do you guys think for $13,250? I know its not a bad deal, but given these cars require more serious maintenance as they get older, what should I expect in the coming months/years and is it maybe better to just lease something or buy used with fewer miles/younger age???

All comments and feedback are much appreciated!!! Also any points that I can bring up to the buyer to have consideration for lowering the price would help!
  • UPDATE: It DOES NOT have the sport package. Everything else remains the same.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    NYC - Actually, I wasn't impressed by the F30 at all. But my lease is up with my Mazda3 soon so I had little option. Another car must happen. Never liked my two e90s and one of them, a CPO, resulted in such a horrible outcome (hence the Mazda3) I left BMW for 3 years.

C, G, IS, A4, TL are not viable cars for me from all my recent drives. I could hold out hope the ATS might be good. In the end, I'm not sure I trust Caddy enough. My real competition for the F30 was the Golf R and I actually would prefer it over the F30. But then my wife's Audi started going so massively south that I couldn't deny VWAG just doesn't seem like a realistic choice me.

With baby #2 is coming in December I decided I'd just settle on the 328 for 2-3 years. It'll do the job until I decide/find something with 4 doors that I love There's a rumor BMW will finally release a 4 door 1 series in 2014 (I'd love the hatch too), so my eye is on that for the future... a compact RWD manual luxury sedan is what I want. Nobody makes that. :(
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 772
    Please elaborate on the "Team USA voucher" and 'BMWCCA rebate.' I'd like to know the amounts, eligibility, and timelines. I'd appreciate your providing the information because I've promised myself a BMW European delivery for years and I may finally get around to it this Christmas if the numbers work.
    BMWCCA rebate = $500 on the 3 series, must be a BMWCCA member for 1 year before purchase of car. Good on ED.
    Team USA Voucher - event held at most BMW dealers where participants get $1000 off any BMW purchased before Oct 31, 2012 (some until 2013).
    USAA Discount - varies but on leases/finances BMW is $1000 off. Some say you can combine with other discounts. I'll find out in October. Must be a USAA member.
    Apps Discount - must be a current BMW FS customer, download the app, get a discount on a new BMW (I think $500 on a 3).

Normally ED's a great deal but with so many discounts floating around I cannot touch ED as cheaply as just picking the car up from a dealer.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,566
    Congrats on baby#2!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on the 2006 BMW 330i?

It's got:
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Navigation
    Automatic
    Leather
    85,000 miles

Seems to be a good deal given what I have seen on KBB and Autotrader, Edmunds, etc.
    However, should I wait for a few months and get the 335i from 2007 for a similar price once it has had time to depreciate. I just think that paying $13.250 for this car seems like an aggressive price and I should jump on it....

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,582
    Try posting that question here:

Real-World Trade-In Values

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The 330 you are looking at has all the right options, so if you are happy with the car and the price, go for it. No one else can tell you what to you, there will ALWAYS be buyer remorse for the first few weeks.. Regarding the price of a 335i, BMWs hold their value, so don't think you will find a 2007 335i for $13K or even 16K unless it has 150K miles.. Now if you really want a better 330i, find one with the M Sport Package....
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,232
    OP....gotta go with Flight Nurse's advice. Those are really good cars. I had one ('06). Yeah...the 335i will be a bit quicker (I think '07 was the first year they came out), but the 330i was by no means a slouch.

I can't see any '07 335i going for $16K (unless, as was pointed out, it has super high mileage). Maybe one with a rebuilt/salvage title.

BMW is pretty liberal in buying back cars for some pretty flimsy reasons (IMHO). They usually give those cars a through going over, fix whatever was wrong (if anything was really wrong) and put them out for sale, again. If you can find one of those, which would have a title that stipulates it as a factory buyback, you might be able to score a 335i for the money you're talking about.
    Graphic when it comes to the BMW buyback, I'm not too sure I understand why BMW could not fix the problem the first or second time, but only after BMW bought the car back that the problem is now fixed.... I have seen some excellent prices on E-bay for the buyback cars...
    I had a 2007 335i that BMW bought back from me because they spent a year trying to get the engine to run correctly. I'm returning to BMW but I'd avoid a buyback at all costs. Three BMWs and on two of them I had engine issues BMW could never resolve.
  • valueseeker627valueseeker627 Posts: 11
    edited July 2012
    How do you guys suggest I review the vehicle? I plan on just taking it to the BMW dealer and having them complete a used car inspection. I've also heard that people can get rid of the check engine lights with OBD (on-board diagnostic) devices which can tell the car to stop showing the check engine light.

Shoudl the dealer be able to hook the car up to the machine and see what repairs need to be done despite any tampering by a 3rd party? I am purchasing a used BMW against the advice of my friends so I want to make sure I cover my bases and don't end up regretting it for lack of diligence and inspection!

Thanks!
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,232
    edited July 2012
    Flightnurse...I've noticed the amount of factory buybacks on ebay, too. If you don't mind the inevitable trade penalty when you turn around to sell it again, I think they would be a helluva deal.

BMW does seem to be pretty liberal with their buyback and trade assist policy. Frankly, the one BIG thing I've noticed in service between my BMW dealer, and my GF's Audi is the service. BMW trumps Audi by a large margin. Case in point, when I first got my BMW, I had scraped the lower edge of the front spoiler pulling out of my dealer's lot. My fault....I was trying to beat some oncoming traffic and going too fast. Dealer made note of that. Next time I came in, they took the little plastic valance off under the car, rubbed out the "scar" from the scrape and repainted it.

I didn't ask them to do that. They certainly weren't obligated in any way to do that. They just did it.

Another point, I have light tan interior. Where I get in and out of the car, my dark leather belt is rubbing some of the leather dye onto the seat where the bolster is. Again, this is a wear item. At first, the dealer tried to clean it with leather cleaner. Didn't help. They recovered the entire driver's seat (with what the expensive Dakota leather they use on the seats). I didn't even have to ask.

value....yes, take the 3 to a BMW mechanic. By the end of the run for the 330i came around (which your '06 is), they were pretty bulletproof. But, I'd pay particular attention to the oil changes (BMW is notorious for allowing for high miles between oil changes). Those should be accessible by any BMW mechanic worth their salt (if they were logged via the car's VIN#). Also, you want to check for paint work. Again, any decent mechanic should be able to spot paint work easily. Then, it's just the normal stuff....tire condition, belt condition, check for leaks, hoses, alignment, brakes, trans and trans fluid, lights, steering wheel angle and "play" (as in, there shouldn't be any play in the steering), etc.

Make note of the tires on the car. These came with the first generation of runflats. They were pretty dismal in my estimation. They road like bricks, and didn't offer much in the way of longevity. My guess is, they've been replaced...hopefully with non run-flats of the correct size and type.

A good mechanic should already know all of this.

Check the CARFAX. While not the end all to beat all, Carfax should note any glaring incidences with the car's history and background.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Generally speaking, if a BMW has been cared for as specified, they really aren't any more or less troublesome than any other car. Major repairs (if and when needed) do tend to cost much more than their American car counterparts. But, you'll find that if the '06 330i gets a clean bill of health, it will be as reliable as any car on the road today. If not? All bets are off!
  • vacarfanvacarfan Posts: 2
    Hi, Jeffrey,

That sounded like a good price. Can you tell me which dealer you get your car from?

Thanks
  • pacdecimalpacdecimal Posts: 29
    My zip code only indicated two dealers in Utah and 4 in Illinois who's still participating in this event. 640 miles from California to the nearest.
  • jtp3zkjtp3zk Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I got a 2012 328i in mineral gray color in end of June with premium and technology packages, heated seats and xm radio (didn't care for the heated seats or xm radio, but this was the closest car to what I wanted).

Invoice price was 40,485. $350 discount off invoice plus $1000 for the college rebate program. $35,000 down, financed the rest with 3.54% apr. this was done at irvine BMW. Was this a good deal?
    I love these type of questions..... Each car market is different so to ask this question on a national forum is a mute point. How would you feel if people stated, you got screwed on the deal and you could have done better? The deal is done, can't chance what happened, as long as you are happy with it that is all that counts.
  • nw0anw0a Posts: 7
    Just finished with a lease buyout of '09 328xi coupe through a 'no-haggle' dealership in the Denver area. In '09 the purchase price of the vehicle would have $43,625 ($48k MSRP), and to buyout BMW wanted $28,155 but the dealer quoted $25,650 or $28,200 with CPO. Went with having them CPO the car, got the 0.9% finance rate for 24 months (was 1.5% for 36 or 48 months), and did not have to pay the last month's lease payment. They provided an '11 328xi sedan loaner and the CPO inspection and mini detail took 4 1/2 hours. Some thoughts:

1. There was some confusion with when the CPO warranty would begin, but the final opinion was that it would start after the 4 yr/50k miles new car warranty was up, and I would get a full 6 yr/100k miles with the CPO-added warranty.
    2. I was rather unimpressed with the CPO process. Service did nothing to the car but the inspection. I would have expected that at least an oil change would have been done. I asked whether the Nav's GPS data would be updated (it is three years old) but they said no.
    3. Even with leasing the car for three years, my total out-of-pocket cost will be very nearly the $43.6k new car asking price. This was because BMW had excellent incentives for leasing a car in 2009.
    4. I feel that this was a good deal (not a great deal), and got the dealship to throw in a new set of BMW floor mats.

In all, it was a very good experience working with this dealership, everything was set up by email before I needed to visit the showroom and the getting though the paperwork took less than an hour. Hope this is informative for someone.
  • Folks,

Can some one let me know what would be the best out the price I can ask for BMW 328ix drive 2011 new car that has premium package on it. The dealer reduced the price on car to 35995 + tax. I am trying to buy the car and not lease it.

Thanks
    Smith
  • hotdeckhotdeck Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'm look at 2011 model because I could get a good deal. This 328xi has premium package, heated steering wheel, MSRP $41K, dealer quoted $35K. Is this good? How much should I push further?
  • pbgpbg Posts: 4
    Hello forum and car_man

I've never purchased a BMW before and want to see if this price sounds ok and how much you think I can negotiate. The car is in good shape, has only 40K miles (it's a 2004 model), it's loaded with all packages.

Asking $16,900. Haven't seen the car yet, and requested VIN# to get a carfax.

Also, should I have a mechanic inspect it before? I know it's a hassle for the seller and if it's a good deal I may lose it, but don't want to get stuck with a lemon either.

Thanks for your help!

Pablo
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    All I will say is that, if it were me, I'd definitely have the car inspected by someone with BMW familiarity before buying any used BMW.

The additional $100-200 may well save you $1000's down the road.

As an additional step, I would also ask to see the car's history and service records. What you see (or don't see) there will tell you volumes about the car.

Good luck!
  • Picking up my F30 2013 tonight. Using 7 MSDs, team USA voucher and BMWCCA on a 12k year/3 year lease. MSRP $44,270. Dealer substantially discounted my car because of a BMW error in production. End result, I'm paying $400 a month for the lease.