Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• edfledfl Member Posts: 5
    Hi.

I'm curious for opinions on purchasing a 330xi with the following options.

Metallic paint
    Automatic
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Xenon lights

The total MSRP comes to $43,795.
    They offering:
     Inv $40,120
            + $ 1,500 markup
            + $ 300 Advertising.
    That puts the total at $41,920 or $1,875 under MSRP.

I've read in this forum where people were paying $1,000 to $1,300 over invoice. Is the demand in NYC and the surrounding area that much higher? Or is an XI in November getting a premium.
  • ineverstopineverstop Member Posts: 5
    The dealer has offered $41k out the door. I countered with $38.5. If there isn't a meeting of the minds, will there be any incentives in December/January on the 2005s?
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    I'll give this one a shot. First, I would include the $300 MACO charge in the invoice which would put you at $40,420. I would look at $1,000-$1,300 over that so you should be in the $41,420-$41,720 range.
    I believe that there is a fair amount of competition in NYC so I would think your bargaining power should be better there.
    $1,500 sounds like too high of a markup to me.
    Whether an xi should command a premium in November is a point of discussion. I would guess it is too early for it to command much of a premium.
    Of course, this is just my two cents.
    Good luck!
    I got my Invoice numbers from Consumers and Edmunds. Neither specifically mention the $300 MACO. But from what I read, it's a legit cost.

It really comes down to the $1,500 being high.
    Does one make a counter offer, or just walk away?
  • cota99cota99 Member Posts: 28
    I am looking into getting a 2005 325i. Here is exactly what I want: 325i with metallic paint ($30,470), premium package ($2,300), steptronic ($1,275), fold down seats ($475), xenon lights ($700), destination ($675). The MSRP total with destination is $35,220. The invoice price is $32,320, according to Edmunds.

Here are my questions:

1) When is the best time to get the car (I'd like it no later than February)?

2) What kind of "extra" fees will I be expected to pay?

3) What would be a fair out the door price for this car (CA sales tax= 8.25%)?

4) Are extended warranties worth the money? If so, how much should it cost?

5) Should I expect floor mats to be included? If not, how much should I pay for those?

My current car can last me a long while, so I am not in a hurry to get the car; I'd like it by February, however. Thanks for the help!
  • motowneermotowneer Member Posts: 25
    Just curious. I've always wondered why the Europeans charge a premium for metallic paint while most everyone else doesn't. Anyone have a thought?
  • kkukkkuk Member Posts: 4
    MSRP is $41,695
    Is it worth the $599 to get the alarm?

I've read in previous posts where people install it themselves, then have BMW program it.
    Has anyone done that with this with a 2005 330?
    How was the esperience?

What kind of dollars/year can I expect to save on my insurance?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    kkuk.. I haven't seen any of the lease numbers for November.. I re-posted your info here:

kyfdx "Lease Questions - Ask Here" Nov 9, 2004 9:50am

Give it a day or so, and check for an answer from Car-man.. He is the expert..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I think $1500 over invoice is reasonable for this early in the model year.. You might be able to get it cheaper, but I think you are probably within $500 of the best deal you can find.. so, not bad at all..

And...always make a counter offer... It can't hurt.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tltsaitltsai Member Posts: 4
    I need advice on the price for a used 2004 325iT wagon. This car is a dealer demo car and was in service since 12/8/03. It has sport package, cold weather package, automatic, xenon headlights, Harman-Kardon sound system, electric red, natural brown leather, and 5400 miles. It looks new to me and was placed in the showroom. The original MSRP was 37,745.00. Dealer asked for 32,000.00 plus TTL. Can someone advise me whether this is a good deal? Thanks a lot.
    Can anyone definitively tell me if carpeted floor mats are included in the cost of the car? I know dealers try to tack on an additional cost for them if they can.
    I'm about to pick up my car and floor mats never came up. I'd like to know if there is any information out there that says floor mats are included. I'm specifically referring to the BMW carpeted floor mats.
    Thanks.
    I think you're getting a good deal. Once you figure in the MACO charge, you're where you should be.
    I agree with kyfdx though; I'd make a counteroffer. It can't hurt.
    Just a quick thanks to kyfdx and paule.
    I did receive other quotes in the 1,700 to 1,800 range so I think 1,500 is a good deal.

Thanks for the help.
    Hopefully you won't be seeing me in the Problems and Solutions forum.
  • willieewilliee Member Posts: 8
    I recently ordered a 330i BMW coupe and the dealership was in line with the MSRP from Edmunds at $43,345 (Base, Prem Pkge, Sport Pkge, Xenon Headlights, Destination Charge)

My questions is that I know when the car arrives in January 2005 (estimated date) that I can negotiate on the selling price of the car and make sure the lease factors are in order. What would be a reasonable amount over invoice for a 330i BMW coupe that I had to order? It seems that in Texas/(Southeastern US) that there were not to many coupes available but alot of sedans....

Thanks,
    williee
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    edfl,
    See postings 2001, 2259 and 2346 for more info/opinions on the alarm.
  • ineverstopineverstop Member Posts: 5
    Should I expect to the destination fee for an executive demo that hasn't been titled?
    Well.... whatever price you agree to should be the price.. nothing added on after that..

That applies whether the car is brand-new or an executive car..

If you say, "I'll buy it for $33K", and they agree... You shouldn't see an extra fee for destination on top of that.. That isn't a "dealer fee", it is part of the price of the car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kkukkkuk Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Kyfdx for pointing me in the right direction. As you can tell, I am new to the forum!

Regards,

KK
  • ru777ru777 Member Posts: 28
    I too have the same question.
    Any insights please ?
  • dcclkdcclk Member Posts: 5
    What should I expect with the 05s on the way? Is $500 plus MACO reasonable? I've been offered $1100 plus MACO for ordering a 2005 but I won't be able to take advantage of the low APR. ALso, I was told MACO is $500. Thanks!
    Where are you located? I believe MACO varies by location.
  • cauthementcauthement Member Posts: 4
    Leasing 325i with premium package, price quoted by dealer $33,500, residual $20,150, 36 mo. lease with 12,000 miles yr., $2,500 down (about $3,300 due at signing), $434 mo.including tax. Is this a good deal?
    I'm investigating the extended maint and warranty, and I'd like your options on the cost I've been quoted.

Extented Maint $1,695 4yr/50K => 6yr/100K
    Extended Warranty $2,749 4yr/50K => 6yr/100K

Is it true that all dealers charge the same?

I have the Cold & Premium package with the Xenon lights.
    Does the costs depend on what packages/options you have?

I know someone in PA with a similar car (2004 330XI without Xenon lights) who was quoted $1,000 for Extended Maint.
    Any ideas why he's would be so much less (other then the Xenons)?

Thanks again.
    Ed
  • 1chance1chance Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm in the Pacific Northwest and want to buy the sport wagon. Dealers from Seattle to Portland don't seem interested in dealing via the internet or at the dealerships. Haven't even found a 2005 325xiT to test drive. The best offer I've had is $40,000 to order an automatic with sport & prem pkgs, leather, HK sound, xenon, full size spare, heated seats. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    1chance
    Southern California. I think MACO is $400.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Hey blueguydotcom and spacewormfx....

Went to Cunningham in San Diego recently, so I thought I'd better debunk the Costco myth (invoice - incentives + $400, no maco). See message #1641.

On the first 'no haggle costco price' they 'forgot' about the $3000 incentive on the 2004 330i sedan. (I politely reminded them.)

The second price was about $1800 over my invoice number. Turns out it was $1300 markup with MACO of $300 and training of $160.

Not outrageously bad, but I didn't need costco and a drive to El Cajon for that kind of price (I live in SD, so no harm done.)

The costco price on a 325 is $800 over invoice - incentives, with, I assume, the same high?!? MACO/training.

I contacted another dealer through Costco as well and got quoted $1500 over cost with the same MACO and training fees (for a 330 on another dealer's lot.)

No-haggle does not exist. Costco just channels sheep to the wolves.

On a positive note, Cunningham does have an excellent test drive circuit.

Uh, dunno who you dealt with but I handled the purchase of two cars there for $400 over invoice (actually one was 1600 under invoice with the 2k rebate). Sorry. It does exist as I did it twice...
    Run it by blueguydotcom. He seems to be able to get killer deals from So. Cal dealers.
    Maybe he can give you some pointers.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    What are the current lease residuals and mfs for an '05 330i on a 36 month/15K per year lease?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I got a killer deal for an 05 and good deal for an 04. The only difference is the low APR on the 04 since they are the exact same color plus options. I have to decide which to pick tomorrow. The price difference between the 2 is $350 more for the 05.
    58%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'd look at the '05 depending on when you want to resell the car. On resale, a newer model year with the same mileage will always be worth more. I'd take a look at used car prices for two different model years to see what that difference is. Compare it to what you'll save in interest and you have your answer as to which way to go.
    thanks dude. How do you translate the .0012 into a percentage?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    Multiply it by 2400 to get eq. APR.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    The fun part is trying to get the 0.0012.
    This is correct.. multiply by 2400

.0012 = 2.88% approx.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So let's say you're digging an in-stock model and BMW happens to be offering a $3000 rebate. Will they take invoice minus $3K?

I assume you are looking at an '04 330i? I think that is the only model that has that kind of dealer incentive..

If they have any left, chances are you will probably have to give them $500-$700 profit... If they have one in the demo/loaner program, you might be able to do invoice - incentive - $500.

A lot of it just depends on the dealer... I can think of a lot of dealers that won't make any deal that leaves them with less than $1000 gross profit.

The MF and residuals might not be that great on an '04, if you are looking to lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I was actually speaking hypothetically if the incentives were to roll around again in the late winter/early spring, I'd start looking. Agreed that most dealers won't do with at least a $500-$700 profit. October/November/December are great times to buy (sort of), but not lease.

You are right about the end of year being a good time to buy. I was offered $700 above dealer cost on a 2005 330ci convertible that's on the way here. And this is in So Cal where it's year round open top weather.
  • kenna1kenna1 Member Posts: 10
    03' 325 14k and a 01' 330 30k both $29,990 they both have the same options which one is the better deal? How much should I expect the dealership to come down to? I must mention that I will also have about $2000-$2500 in negative equity on my 1999 bmw trade in.
    Are the same lease residuals and MF applicable to a 330xi as well? '05 model?

What about for an X3 3.0i 3 years/15K year

Thanks!

• bmwnj1bmwnj1 Member Posts: 1
    For 1100 over plus MACO, may as well pay 1800 over for 05. Contact me if interested
    1100 over plus MACO is the 05, making your deal more expensive. Anyway, the 1100 has come down to 900 over plus MACO of 400.
    The '03 is a better buy.. $30K for a 4 year old 330i is way too much, even if it does have low miles.. Even the 325i is overpriced at $30K, but not nearly as much as the 330i.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

'05 330xi.. .0012 58% same as 330i

'05 X3 3.0.. .0021 58%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    I saw that BMW has a new lease deal for the 325i on their web site. Do they have new MF & residuals? What could I expect to see for a 3 year lease w/ 12,000 miles/yr?

2005 325i Sedan
    Metallic Paint
    Automatic
    Premium Package
    Navigation
    Fold Down Rear Seats

MSRP $39,520

Thanks...
  • kenna1kenna1 Member Posts: 10
    so the 03 is a better deal. How much overpriced is it? Asking them to go down to $27,500 or $27,900 is that reasonable?
    I'm not the expert on used car prices, but I did buy an '03 325i used.. last December..

A lot of the value depends on options, color, etc.. 14K is definitely low miles so that helps.. Is it auto or standard? Color? Is it CPO from a BMW dealership? Does it have the premium package? Sport package? Leather? Xenons? Harmon Kardon stereo? Heated seats?

Post a little more info, and we'll give it a shot..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The $299 lease deal on the website? Don't put anything down, and make it 12K/yr, instead of 10K/yr and you are already up to $380/month.. and that is for a car that MSRPs for $31,270..

Figure $465/mo. plus tax for the one with an MSRP of $39,500... MF of .00125 and residual of 62% for 3yr/36K. That is assuming the same deal as what is on the website, with 1st payment, acquisition fee and security deposit upfront.

I'm also assuming they have the same residual for Nav equipped cars.. Japanese makes typically have lower residuals for Navi cars.. Not sure if BMW does or not....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator