Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Can anyone tell me what the money factor and residuals are for 36 month 10,000 miles/year of 2014 328xi and 335xi? Thanks so much

• Hello,

Would someone please clarify how BMW Holiday Credits/Build Out Credits and Turn-Key Rebates work?

If I have been reading the information on this site correctly, it seems like incentives (credits) are subtracted from the price of the vehicle (MSRP), eventually bringing it to the final price (negotiated price)... Is this correct or are these credits usually subtracted from the total purchase... (meaning the contract)? Also, how do Turn-Key Rebates work? Does the buyer pay the payment then it is applied to the account as a credit?

Sorry about all the questions, but I am new to this and want to know everything... I know some of the questions might seem silly...

Thanks!

• bailaowaibailaowai Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

Hi Guys, I'm new to leasing. Looking at a 2014 535i. I've been quoted a money factor of 0.00165. I thought the base MF was 0.00125. When I asked the dealer, they said "well they have to make some money somewhere". I'm at invoice + 1000 before incentives, and still hoping to get them down a bit. Also in NorCal. Is this normal - the dealer "marks up" the MF?

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,687

Yes, it's "normal"... so is their BS answer. You negotiated what you thought was a good price, then they bumped you $1000 on the finance side. It's typical. I've never paid a marked up MF, yet... but, I'd do it for a corresponding reduction in selling price, assuming I was happy with the deal, already.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• konacougkonacoug Kailua-KonaPosts: 182

Bailaowai...It is all bs on their part...contact Jon at Santa Barbara BMW or Greg at Pacific BMW and they will hook you up with a straight deal. I have heard from many people that the Nor Cal dealers will not give you a great deal.

ghla59..all the incentives and credits are taken out after you reach a deal. However, shady dealers will tell you, that it is included in the deal. If you are in LA, contact Greg at Pacific BMW, he will give you an honest, no BS deal. Turn key, they make the payment for you....

• Thanks konacoug! The information you provide here is really helpful and very informative...I asked because most people whom I spoke with didn't seem to know exactly how such incentives are subtracted, so I didn't get much help when I was shopping for and leased my 2013 328i a couple of months ago ( I know I should have done more research then), but since another family member is considering a BMW, I wanted to clearly understand everything just to be able to help her negotiate a better deal overall... We sure will be contacting Greg! I know it's too late to reflect on the deal that I got, but I was able to get the sale price of the vehicle about $7k below MSRP; $3800 below invoice, so I thought at the time (since I was in a rush and I really needed to get a car) that it was a decent discount given the base MF and a payment that I could live with, although it would have been better had I known about MSDs then! Could that mean that all the credits were already factored into that sale price? Thanks again!!

• nikhilauto13nikhilauto13 Posts: 4
    edited December 2013

signed a new lease for 320i. How does this look?

2014 320i with moonroof

MSRP:34725
    Sale price: 31300
    Financed:31300
    Residual:65%
    Term: 36 months; 12,000/year
    Monthly Pay: 320+Tax(=348.63)
    Paid 1750 at the time of signing the contract, which includes the first month's payment.

Did I do ok?

• RBlakeNYCRBlakeNYC Posts: 5

2009 Audi a4 Quattro premium plus owner Signed for a new 328i xdrive yesterday in Hartford ct. Think I got a reasonable deal so sharing the numbers. All negotiations by phone - in some cases after email enquiry. Only stepped into one dealer and had all the numbers and the specific car nailed down before doing so. Negotiating on 12/29-30 probably helped.

The car is mineral grey with premium and cold options.
    Msrp 44825 Invoice 41265

Truecar quotes from dealers (including holiday credit of 1250 but not loyalty at 500 as not current owner) at 39500 (too far away/inconvenient) and two at 40800.

Also negotiated with a dealer about an hour away to 39990 with an extra detailing at first service thrown in but wasn't my my preferred color and somewhat inconvenient.

Decided upon local dealer and negotiated to 40000 including application of the 1250 holiday credit.

Am paying the local going rate for doc prep 499 and transfer of 135. Not too happy about that but felt it netted me to the target of about $500 over invoice before credits.

Will finance a significant portion at 2.99 or somewhat less.

A few thoughts on cars available - informed by reading posts here and bimmerfest... - wish I could have found one with lighting option without all the other bells and whistles. Am pretty sure I will regret not having the superior and cool lights but couldn't find without another 5k plus in other options I didn't want/afford - Wish a sports line made sense but fearing winter snow travel and, again, not found many on lot cars within 100 miles and when did tended to be fully loaded cars. Also Wasn't willing to rotate in snows every year (as a true fanatic would) - If circumstances allowed, would have ordered exactly the car I wanted and waited for it - Or, even better, picked-up in Munich!

In the end, I had decided I would splurge on this car if I could get it at 40k and felt I succeeded (despite fees and state taxes taking it to about 43500). Plan to pick it up tomorrow! Best to all with your experiences!

• sunny48sunny48 Posts: 24

@konacoug said: Sunny48, yes, they have jacked the money factor, the base rate is .00125, they have also raised the acquisition fee by $200, up from the base of $725. If you want to buy in the NE, I would try NJ. You can use Multiple Security Deposits, which in the range you are looking at would save you an additional $50 per month in payments. I have written on this forum about MSD's and it is one of the great benefits of leasing with BMW FS. If you check the forum Bimmerfest, I believe there are several reputable CA's in NJ, that will give you a fair deal.

Thanks for your answer. I will look into NJ as I believe MSDs are not allowed in NY. I suspected the acquisition fee was jacked up.

The holidays were too hectic for me to concentrate on a car, although my husband got one. What incentives might be coming up during the winter? I will probably be ordering this car, so can wait for any. I noticed that MB had good ones last winter, so I am curious to know if BMW also offers winter enticements.

There are always new incentives, changes in residual and money factors. The January deals should be out either today or tomorrow. You are correct for some reason NY does not allow for MSD's...I would guess that the law makers thought they were protecting the citizens from some sort of unfair lending requirements. I have heard of lots of people leasing in NJ, the only negative I have heard is the dealer doc fee is high.....

• icingsicings Posts: 9
    edited January 3

Dealers in NJ like to use 299 as their typical doc fee.

• Does anyone have a good Client advisor in NJ that would give a fair lease?
  • rlonginorlongino Posts: 1

Paid $6000 below invoice for 335i MSport, then got $500 incentive, but paid high Fla doc fee of $460. Overall a great deal, for 2013 leftover with 25 miles.

@konacoug said: There are always new incentives, changes in residual and money factors. The January deals should be out either today or tomorrow. You are correct for some reason NY does not allow for MSD's...I would guess that the law makers thought they were protecting the citizens from some sort of unfair lending requirements. I have heard of lots of people leasing in NJ, the only negative I have heard is the dealer doc fee is high.....

konacoug, you are correct. I got a quote from a Jersey dealer and the doc fee is 359. In nyc it is like 80. does this deal sound good? Monthly payment is $329 + nyc tax. 36 months and 10k MSRP $39925 Cap Cost (dealer didn't tell me) Residual 65% Acq Fee $725 Doc Fee $359 DMV Fee $350 (whatever is left over will be refunded to me). 7 MSD $2450 (refundable at lease end) MF .00081 which is about 1.94%

Sales tax is the part I'm not getting clarity from the dealer. Sales tax should only be on the depreciation only. do they charge sales tax on MSD, acq fee? Doc fee and DMV fee are definitely not taxable.

icings: There should not be sales tax on the Acquisition fee or the MSD's. The cap fee or selling fee is kind of important...I used the Edmunds lease calculator, with a selling price of $37,300, giving you $1250 in rebates/incentives, with $1500 down to cover drive offs, without tax, I get $329 per month. So...the question for me is , how much besides the MSD's are you putting into the deal and what is the selling price? The dealer should definitely be disclosing to you the selling price.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013

Please help launch our new Facebook tab and be one of the first to share your car shopping experience.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,687

@konacoug said: icings: There should not be sales tax on the Acquisition fee or the MSD's. The cap fee or selling fee is kind of important...I used the Edmunds lease calculator, with a selling price of $37,300, giving you $1250 in rebates/incentives, with $1500 down to cover drive offs, without tax, I get $329 per month. So...the question for me is , how much besides the MSD's are you putting into the deal and what is the selling price? The dealer should definitely be disclosing to you the selling price.

In most states, the acquisition fee is taxed..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited January 10

@konacoug said: icings: There should not be sales tax on the Acquisition fee or the MSD's. The cap fee or selling fee is kind of important...I used the Edmunds lease calculator, with a selling price of $37,300, giving you $1250 in rebates/incentives, with $1500 down to cover drive offs, without tax, I get $329 per month. So...the question for me is , how much besides the MSD's are you putting into the deal and what is the selling price? The dealer should definitely be disclosing to you the selling price.

Thanks konacoug. I skipped the dealer that was beating around the bush. I found another dealer that was clear on everything. A based 328xi GT for $399 a month. MSRP $45025, cap cost 39865. This is 30K 36 months lease. Drive off is $1400 (acq, doc, DMV) + $1240 sales tax + $2800 MSD. looks ok?

• joe642joe642 Posts: 1

@zorahadic said: Can anyone tell me what the money factor and residuals are for 36 month 10,000 miles/year of 2014 328xi and 335xi? Thanks so much

Last info I got was .00125 (then .00111 with MSD), and 60-62%. (335xi)