Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• asennaf1kingasennaf1king Member Posts: 4
    I'm curious about what mileage I should expect to be on the car when take delivery of the BMW I order the to be built. I'm wondering what the average number is or if there is a number that is standard from BMW for cars that come direct from the factory. I'm taking deliver in SC for the performance driving school.
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    I think $1700 is a ripoff. They are trying to take advantage of the fact that you only want one particular color. Ask them the place from where they will be getting it. If I were you, I would then directly contact the other dealerpship.

You could ship a train for that price. LOL.
  • daffodildaffodil Member Posts: 14
    LOL. I thought that too :) My other concern was that something could happen during the shipping process (scratches, dents, etc.), since I think they'll be driving it over in one of those trucks. The other dealerships are far, but I'm going to look into calling them. I just wasn't sure if it's "fair" for them to charge me an additional fee for shipping...
  • weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    Looked at a 330xi w/AT, CP, PP, Xenons, and Titanium Silver Metallic, in Chicagoland Area (Fields). Salesperson offered $39,295 ($43,795 - $4500). Edmonds states the invoice is $40,140 and the TMV as $39,760.00.

Does the TMV include the incentive ($4200)? I believe a fair offer is $36,340.00 ($TMV-$4200+$400).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    If the invoice is $40,140, then the true dealer cost after the incentive would be $36,140.. I think you'll probably have to add about $1000 on to that to make a deal, but you might offer less....

Edmunds TMV doesn't mean squat to the dealer, and I doubt it takes into account the incentive, because the incentive has only been available since March 1st..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Ignore TMV...it's useless. Find out the invoice, then if it's a 330i/xi reduce the price by 3800-4000 dollars. That's the price you want.

TMV is pretty worthless. even when it's current, it's worthless as it's showing you what 50% of the buyers got. do you care if 50% got that deal? your goal is to get the best deal, not what everybody gets.
    Right now, the dealer I'm speaking with is not willing to give me the steel blue 330xi (with the exact same options as weno2's) for $37,000 because he says it costs $1000 (note that now it's $1000 vs. the original $1,700) to ship the car from Minnesota to me.

While I really would like the steel blue, I don't appreciate his changing stories. Do you think there will be an incentive in April? I'd like to close the deal before the end of March, but if this drags on a bit, I might not be able to do so.
    No one knows what April incentives might be..

It is hard to get a bottom dollar deal on a car that isn't available on the lot..

I personally, would never pay more than a couple hundred dollars to get the color I wanted.. but, others put more value on that..

I'm sure there will be some kind of incentive in April, but occasionally they put the incentives on the lease side... My best guess is that the cash incentives will continue as is.. It is a lot harder to change those, than it is to play with money factors and residuals...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• love330convlove330conv Member Posts: 19
    Thanks kyfdx and others for quick response.

Sorry for not posting the MSRP earlier. It is $49,145.

kyfdx, can you pls. break up the $526/mo payment you calculated? I did my calculations and did not reach this number. Since my knowledge is limited, I must have done something wrong. Here is what I did - may you can point out what's wrong.

MSRP: $49145
    Negotiated price: $42995 (incl. ED discount)
    Residual : $30961
    Cap cost : $43620 (incl. $625 acq. fee)
    Depreciation : $43620-$30961 = $12659
    Per month cost: $12659/36 = $352
    MF: 0.0018*43620 = $79 (is this correct?)
    Tax: (352+79)*8.25% = $35 (is this correct?)
    Total/month = $466

What did I miss? I have assumed that tax in California is only paid on the lease payment. And I am not sure if it is paid on MF or not (in my calculations I have taken it that way but doesn't sound logical to pay tax on MF)

Any help in clarifying this is appreciated. I have taken one more day from dealer to figure all this out!

General Question: A typical MF of say 0.0018 is equal to what APR of true interest rate?
    One dealer told me the incentives will continue.
    I don't find the point in taking the incentives off when the new series come. Just think about it.....if you go to the dealership to buy a car and if you saw a brand new model and the older model side by side for the same price(the 2006 325i will be less than the 2005 330i), which one would you get?

I am in the same position as you are, still comtemplating if to get the new 325i or the 2005 330i. But I not going to buy something in a hurry until I test drive the new models. The new models should be test drive-able in 2 weeks. So I am going to wait.

I would not pay more than $500.00 to have that car shipped. If it's really far, then maybe $700.00.
    Monthly finance charge = (Cap cost + residual) X MF.

The reason they are added together, is because you are paying interest on an average of the cap cost and residual.. The money factor calculation takes this into account..

.0018 MF = approx. 4.3% interest. But, this is mitigated by BMWFS making one of your lease payments for you on ED.

All of your other calculations are on the money.. Technically, you are actually paying sales tax on your monthly payment, not on depreciation or interest...

You have a pretty good handle on it..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• shodoshodo Member Posts: 1
    Where is this located? I am new to this.

I am going buy an 06 325 and want to know where to start. Will it be harder to neog. because they are hot of the presses?
    Thanks kyfdx for the clarification. My finance charge was incorrect.

Would you happen to also know the residual and MF for a 48 month lease on this (everything else keeping same)? I know it is not popular but I would still like to compare it with buying and then selling after 4 yrs.

Regards.
    Yes!
    Your monthly finance charge should come to $134.25 and not $79.00.

I don't think it's a good idea to lease for longer than 36 months. If you want to keep it longer than 36 months, purchase it.

kyfdx can explain better I am sure.
  • skimoskimo Member Posts: 23
    Hello kyfdx, and all..

Do you think the current lease rates on coupes could get better in April? I tried going through countless forums in order to get a feel for the market..i ended up confusing myself :). If lease rates remain unchanged, any reason for BMWFS to offer incentives on the coupes?? I found car, pull trigger now or wait 3 days?

Thanks
    SKimo
  • cdoolakecdoolake Member Posts: 2
    what's a fair trade in on a 99 323 white convertible ....auto, leather, cassette, 5 cd changer, harmon kardon package..automatic on board computer system 85,000 good condition...inside and out...they gave me 10,000 and I thought it was too low...am I wrong????? thanks
  • badpawsbadpaws Member Posts: 1
    Kyfdx or ?
    Is this a good deal....2005 330i msrp 45420 sale price of 38920 12k/yr with drive off of 2286 and payment of 599 including tax which is 8.25% in Ca.

Thanks,

badpaws
    To me it seems like, if you can neogiate the price down to $38,000 it looks like a good deal.

Since it's a lease you only want to put down acquisition fee + licence fees + first month's payment(About $1400).
    You definitely don't want to go 48 months.. The residual is 13% lower and the money factor for ED would jump up to .00285

If you want to keep your car for 4-5 years, and have no trouble making the finance payments, then there is nothing wrong with buying it.. While the lease deals are good, there is nothing wrong with buying the car, if that is what you are more comfortable with..

And, if you want to keep the car longer than 3 years, that is really the best option.. You have already negotiated a good purchase price..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

First... No one knows what they might do in April. Everything is a crapshoot..

Now.. my best guess...

I don't think lease rates are going to get any better for coupes... The money factors are already dirt cheap and the residuals are strong..

It is possible that at some point they will replace lease incentives with dealer cash, like they now have on sedans... Whether that will be April or not, I don't know..

But, in January, when they replaced the lease incentives on sedans with dealer cash, the result was higher lease payments... If you want to lease, I wouldn't wait..

That might turn out to be the wrong decision, but if it were me, I'd take the deal now..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm no good with trade-in values.. those are pretty high miles for a 6-year-old convertible though.. The automatic and the color might save you.. I don't think the dealer is too far off...

Post your description here, and be sure to give Terry your location.. Check back every day, and repost if you get missed..

dkuhajda, "Real-World Trade-In Values" #25819, 28 Mar 2005 11:44 pm

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If your CAP cost is the same as your selling price, with no additions, I get $588/mo. including tax...

$588 1st pymt.
    $600 security deposit
    $625 acq.fee
    $52 tax on acq. fee

$1865 total due at signing.. If registration/title/license fees are $430, then the upfront money is okay..

1) I'd want another $500-$800 off the selling price.

2) I'm betting they marked up the acq. fee to $825.. check the breakdown of your upfront money.. Insist on $625 for acq.fee.

3) Find out why their payment is $11/mo. too high.. I'm thinking they were trying to get under $600/mo., and marked up the money factor to get you that number.. Base money factor is .00225

A deal with $500 more off the selling price should drop the payment from $588 to $572..

If the acquisition fee is marked up, dropping it by $200 would take $216 off your upfront money..

So, if it were me... I'd offer $2000 upfront including security deposit and a payment of $575/mo. tax included... That may seem like a small difference, but it is almost $1200 over the life of the lease...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rr1234rr1234 Member Posts: 5
    Kyfdx,
    As feared, the dealer that gave me the above quote (BMW of Manhattan) did try to get cute and told me when I got there that the lease he quoted was for 10,000 miles (when I went home I checked the e-mails and confirmed that he was lying). So, I wound up with a quote of $648 per month with $1793 due at signing for 36 months/12k (no security deposit as I am a current BMWFS customer, $900 bank fee, fees, 1st month payment) and $691 for 24 months with a similar amount down ($1837).

I was sufficiently pissed about the mild bait and switch that he tried to pull and his excessive use of profanity and phrases like "we're not going to drop our pants" in front of my fiancee to walk away without closing a deal. So, I contacted another local dealer (Life Quality in Brooklyn) and we worked out the following in less than 30 minutes and I am about to send a deposit:

Sparkling Black Sapphire Metallic
    Heated Front Seats
    Xenon Headlights
    Sport Package
    Automatic Transmission
    BMW Assist
    MSRP $48,895

12,000 miles
    24 months
    $628.95 (NY 8.625% tax included in the payments)
    $1699.08 due at signing (Bank Fee, First Month, Reg Fees)

I think this seems like a good deal- particularly since I was quoted $768 for the same terms at one point but I wanted to run it by the group.

Also, has anyone purchased a tire and wheel protection insurance package from their dealer?- in NY where potholes run rampant I thought this may be a good investment but I do not know the details. I've ruined several wheels and tires on my current 3-series.

I also just wanted to warn people who deal with unsavory internet dealers like I did to make sure you print out all of your e-mails and confirm details before wasting your time going to the dealership. Thanks for all of your help!

-RR
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    Alright Mr. Lease Wizard, aka Kyfdx, see if you can guide me on this one. I'm negotiating a deal on a '05 330i with an MSRP of $44,720. I'm offering the dealer $37,285+TTL, and it looks like they might agree to it. If they do, what would the lease number be for 15000k/yr for 3yrs with security deposit and nothing down? How about the same deal w/o security deposit and nothing down?
    It looks like you did very well.. About $2700 off MSRP, using the base rates..

Knowing the numbers and being prepared really pay off... Enjoy your new car!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

$545/mo.+ tax with only 1st payment and security deposit due at signing..

$554/mo.+ tax without security deposit..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I put down a deposit on a silver-gray metallic 330xi today (prem package, cold weather package, xenons, automatic transmission). The MSRP was $43,795, and the invoice was $40,120. I got the car for $37,120, which is $1000 over the invoice minus $4,000 incentive. They will be giving me floor mats (it seems that most dealerships do). I was aiming for $36,500-$37,000, but he wouldn't budge. I would have walked away, but being that there aren't many 330xi's in the area left, I decided a couple hundred extra would be OK.

Does this deal seem reasonable? I'm scheduled to pick it up on Thursday.
    Thanks kyfdx for giving 48 month numbers. And you are right, given these numbers, it will be plain stupid to even think about it.

Although ideally I would have liked to keep the car for 4 yrs, but the leasing deal (due to ED discount, dealer discount and high residual) is so irresistible I am going for leasing. For net $6300/yr, I get to drive my dream ($50k) car for 3 years! And it now leaves the door open for me to get the next generation 3-series convertible or M3 convertible 3 years later :-)
  • bowlingalbowlingal Member Posts: 9
    so i have an offer for a 325i, automatic, power seats, red, sedan. nothing else. the back seats don't even fold down. bottom offer was $27,500

is this good?
  • mjday1972mjday1972 Member Posts: 77
    I'd say that's very good. I bought a similar car (mine is red and has heated power seats and automatic) for just over $29,000.
    I think that is a great deal... Just watch out for miscellaneous charges...

Good luck!!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

MSRP about $32,200, right?

Looks like a very good deal.. If that is the car you want...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mayberryguymayberryguy Member Posts: 145
    That sounds like a good deal. I just picked up my 325xi with only heated seats as an option here in Indiana and paid $29000 + sales tax and a $60 dealer document fee. They also included the all weather floor mats at no cost.
    Thank you for all your help in this process! Because I'll be out of town tomorrow, the dealer has agreed to let me finalize everything on Saturday. I did ask about other charges, and he claimed that they don't play games at that dealership and when you pay the $37,120, there are no hidden charges or fees.

I guess I'll find out Saturday :) I'll let you know how everything goes.
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    Thank you for the quick response.

Unfortunately, I don't think they like my number. I've been dealing with them through emails only. And for two days now they haven't responded to my last offer yet. I flat out told them that I refused to give them more than invoice-$4200+$500 for a car that was literally already a year old when the new model comes out in two weeks.

Oh well, no harm done, I've got time. My choices were either getting the E46 with discounted price or the new E90 with a reasonable price.

Thank you, again, Kyfdx. I'm sure I'll need your help again in the future.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    rr1234, I first want to let you know that I was also exposed to that bait and switch technic. Your next step should be to try to send a copy of those emails to the BMW customer service dept. I came across a dealer like that in NJ a couple of years back(bait and switch deal) and I sent letters to BMW customer care back then and I cc the dealer Sales Manager. The guy called me back leaving apologetic messages. Needles to say that I gave him a piece of my mind and a mouthful for trying to deceive potential customers. I guess BMW headquarters did called them to repremend them. You never know, if we report behaviors like that, maybe it will prevent others from receiving the same treatment.

On the wheel insurance on your lease,,,GET IT. I leased a 2005 Audi A4 on January 11 this year, on February 22 I busted a rim, you guessed it, on a huge pothole on the VanWick Expressway. The rim and tire were replaced by Audi immediately at not cost. I will check my papers, but the monthly payments on my lease went up a couple of bucks for this insurance. In NYC (we get a batch of fresh potholes every winter), I think it is a very good option to have specially if you lease your car. You certainly do not want to receive the news that when you return your car you get a bill for $600 to replace a rim in your car because the dealer say it is busted or bent.

My opinion, include it in your lease.

R
  • sirmansirman Member Posts: 10
    The Edmunds TMV has it basically $4000 of MSRP (i.e. MSRP after the $4000 market support cash). Is this a bad deal?

Any ideas what extra buying power you would get if you were to buy two cars at the same time?
    TMV is a historical number... It can't reflect the current market.. Incentives on the 330xi have only been in place for the last 30 days..

Yes, $4K off MSRP on a 330xi would be a very bad deal..

In my experience, buying two cars doesn't do a whole lot extra for you.. Can't hurt, but if you are going for a bottom dollar deal, then bottom dollar is bottom dollar..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cdoolakecdoolake Member Posts: 2
    99 bmw 323cic auto, leather, premimum sound system, 6 cd changer, alloy wheels, white, on board computer, power windows and doors, I guess that is about it. west palm beach, florida
    thanks
    Hey... I posted your info here:

kyfdx, "Real-World Trade-In Values" #25845, 31 Mar 2005 5:21 pm

Subscribe to that thread, and hopefully Terry will get to your post this weekend..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 1stbmw21stbmw2 Member Posts: 4
    Wrap your brain around this one please:

2005 330i Jet Black
    Premium Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    BMW Assist
    Xenon
    Steptronic
    Black Leather

36 month lease/10K year

$2016 down
    $568 month
    selling price $35,911

Did I get hosed?
    You need to post the actual MSRP first, so that people can help you.
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    Hello all. i have been a long long long time reader of the bmw forums. recently i decided that i coudl no longer suffer the pangs of the desire of a 3 series now that they are heavily discounted. i have also convinced myself that the new 3 is a bit too big and not that beautiful (i know it is just an excuse). so, i have made the leap and have contacted several dealers in my area -- PA, NJ. i want a minimally optioned manual 325i but these seem to be like endangered species, almost hard to get. i have found a few though but some have the sport package on them. now, my questions are:

1) how comfortable is the sport package suspension feel on long highway drives relative to the normal 325i?
    2) is there really a danger towards road hazards with these low profile tires? how is their ride?
    3) is there anything else i should be aware of with sport package?

i woudl like to thank you all for the invaluable advice that you have been providing to the community. i for one feel so much stronger with all the information here that i feel sorry for the dealer that i will deal with (how i wish this were true :-)

thanks all.
  • squirtdadsquirtdad Member Posts: 22
    Any word on whether the dealer incentives for 2005 models continue into April?
    bad news! carsdirect.com does not have any dealer incentives on 325 or the 330 for april! last night they were offering base 325i for 1500 under invoice. today they are offering the same for 1000 over invoice! i cant believe bmwna is doing this in april. and i was abuot to start negotiating on a new 325i... :cry::cry::cry:
    1) how comfortable is the sport package suspension feel on long highway drives relative to the normal 325i?

SP is soft on the 325i. It takes the really soft ride of a normal 325i and makes it barely harder. the 17s on the 325i are very pliant. If you're looking for a feathery, smooth ride, that to me is the SP (it actually makes me feel a little sick as it's way too soft for my tastes).

2) is there really a danger towards road hazards with these low profile tires? how is their ride?

Not really. 17s are fairly common today as standard equipment. Just drive sensibly - ie keep your eyes open for potholes. You should do that with ANY car though.

3) is there anything else i should be aware of with sport package?

???
    thanks, blueguydotcom. appreciate your views. it will make my decision easier now. was under the impression that sport package woudl make the ride harsh. apparently this is not the case here. thanks again.

can anyone please confirm that there are no incentives on the 3 for april!!
  • 1stbmw21stbmw2 Member Posts: 4
    Pretty sure is was MSRP $41,770

Don't have the sticker with me.
    Best way to tell for yourself - drive it. Plent of sp 325is available. My bro-in-law likes his just fine and says my zhp is too harsh. I think my zhp is too soft...
    i found the non SP 325i that i drove not too soft not too firm. dealer did not have the SP with the manual. shoudl have driven the auto with SP to get a feel. will them these a try soon enough...