Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    I'm not exactly sure how they figure tax where you live, but I figured it on the monthly payment, because thats how they do it here.

With $2K down, I come up with right around $520/mo., using the MSRP, selling price, MF and residual you gave me. So, it seems they are $20 high there.. I'm guessing $19XX in drive off fees includes first payment plus security plus acquisition and title fees.. It definitely sounds like they are jacking up the acquisition fee by $200.

If you lower the MF to the base rate, it drops the payment to around $495, with the $2K down and the upfronts.

If it were me..... I wouldn't make a down-payment, I would insist on the base MF, and an acquisition fee of $525, which I would also roll into the cap cost.. This would lower your money due at signing to about $1250 and your payment would be around $572/mo., with no downpayment or cap cost reduction.

I'm not sure how they came up with $540/mo., because I get $520/mo. using your numbers.. Unless they have a more onerous way of figuring sales taxes.

Your sales price looks good.. It is the rest of it that would bother me.. Heck, with the money you are putting up front, you could finance the car for 60 months at 4.5% and only pay $675/mo.

I like to lease, but this dealer is making all their money on the back end of the deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    That deal smells bad. The MF is too high to justify the lease.
  • Kyfdx,

I got it down to $480 a month. They tell me that the MF is set at .0026. I have an excellent credit score of over 690. If I can't get them to lower the MF, I will try to get the selling price even lower.

Thanks for your insight and advice.

SB
  • jack154jack154 Posts: 10
    This is my 325xi quote. I wanted to check with some people on here bc it is a little higher than I thought - the incentives on the 325s are not as good as the 330s. But also, there's an issue of the car having 2000 miles on it that the dealer (who has been excellent and honest and helpful the whole time) didn't call attention to at all:

$34,990 quote. 36,095 MSRP
    325xi
    Cold Package
    Premium Package
    Mystic blue metallic paint(will this look dated in 5 yrs?)
    Sand Leatherette
    2020 miles on it. Classified as "used" on this summary printout he gave me.
    Car is being brought from another dealership
    Floormats, etc... included. Doc fee, title, liscence, tax - extra.

So - a few questions:
    What is up with the odometer being at 2020? Isn't that kind of high? Shouldn't I ask for more off with this much usage on it? It sounds like a demo or something.
    I got a better quote in February on a new 325xi. Did they sell more 2004s than they thought they would?
    They say they I am only paying 1800 over invoice. Does that sound right? (Regardless of the miles issue)

I don't like the stereo in this one. The harmon kardon 330 stereo was MUCH better even on radio. How much is an aftermarket stereo system replacement to a bose or harmon kardon (or similar) brand. Who does this - BMW or a car stereo place? Also, are there aftermarket hook ups for MP3 players since there is no tape deck to put an adapter into? What are people's experiences with the cell phone and garage hook up. Do you put your cell in somewhere and then it comes out your car speakers? Where does all this go?

Anther question not related to the price / accessories -
    Has anyone gone from American car to a BMW? I think I got a little too used to the mushy seats and wider body...and the "Cant feel the road" drive because I feel the seats are hard, I have a blind spot, and I'm bouncing up and down most of the time. It still beats the other cars I drove but I'm concerned I won't get used to it like I think I will.

Thanks for any info.
    2000 miles? It's a used car. Most likely it was a demo for a big wig at the dealership.

right now any 325 should be at or below invoice. mix in that this car is unofficially used and there's no way you should pay new car prices for a used and quite possibly abused loaner/demo.

If it were my money, I'd pass on the deal. If you trust the car wasn't beaten by previous drivers, then you gotta knock that price down quite a bit. They're taking you for a ride with that offer.

As for mp3 players. there is an aux hookup that you can DIY or have a dealer do. also if you have an ipod, simpyl get the icelink from dension - you can recharge the ipod and get it to be controlled by your steering wheel buttons.

also, the HK stereo isn't all that either. if sound is important, look to replace the stuff in the car.

ride...that's up to you. some people think my 330i with 18s is smooth, others find it rough. I think it's a tad soft but I love cars that corner flat.
  • lee_wlee_w Posts: 239
    I agree with post #1429. I wouldn't pay new prices for a used car.
  • jack154jack154 Posts: 10
    Thanks ... I'm gonna talk this over with him next time.

Thanks for the ipod link - that's definitely cool - i have an ipod. I hope I can controll it from my steering wheel. I'm not sure if the 325 will allow that tho.
    jack, if you have steering wheel mounted controls, then the icelink can control and recharge your ipod. It's pretty darn nice.
    I agree with lee and blueguy. That isn't even a good deal on a new one, let alone a demo. Run away from this place. It is likely they bought that car at an auction for $30K. If it were only the 2000 miles, that would be one thing, but no telling when the car was put in service. The new car warranty is likely already ticking.

regards,
    kyfdx

• i am looking into getting a 2004 325i before the end of the summer (the sooner the better)
    i want to be able to really drive this car and enjoy it before all the cold weather comes
    anyway this is how i would like the car

325i
    automatic
    black metallic paint
    black leatherette
    sport/premium/cold weather
    xenon and possible hk(is it worth it)

ive been to 2 dealers
    (but liked the first one better)
    i had wanted the 325ci at first, but decided on the 325i instead because it is more affordable. price on ci was $560 a month for a 12000/yr lease
    salesman told me it would be roughly $509 for identical car(just in four door)
    we didn't really get to into it though because he had the next day off
    went to another dealer who told me he would give me a 330i w/leatherette and NO premium package for $509 12,000

what should i really be paying for the 325?
    i like the idea of the 330 b/c of bigger engine and nice standard wheels. i test drove the ci and loved it, and also drove the regular 325i. i thibnk i would need to rive both back to back to tell a real difference. by the way only reason for choosing sport package is the wheels and steering wheel. i think they look too cheap on the reg 325i. any suggestions??

also, should i go back to the first dealer and have him try to match the price of the 330, butalso throw in the premium pkg

i won't be putting any money down on the lease, but i still don't want to be paying more then 450a month. what do i do???
  • the guy i got the 1st quote from gave me that price assuming that i ill pay 36000 for the car(w/o tax)
    rigt now where i live i should be able to get that 325i for 33800.

thanks
    If you can get $2200 more off the price from the 1st dealer, that will save you about $65/month, putting the car in your price range. For, the money, I'd stick with the 325i. If you are looking to save, just get heated seats, and forego the cold weather package. Also, the wheels are nicer on the 325i sport than on the base 330i. The HK stereo is nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay $10 more per month for it on a lease.

I don't think you'd be that happy with a "stripped" 330i.

regards,
    kyfdx

• what about the headlight washers that come with the cold weather package..are they worth it??
  • do you think i would save a drastic amount of money if i waited a few more months?
    like i said i would love to be able to drive the car all summer when i can really enjoy it

and i want to be able to still have my color choice.

your help is appreciated ;)
    You could save maybe a grand. It's all about how important your fun is now. October a 2k rebate on the 325i is likely.
  • do you know what the rebate is now, and in october they will add another 2000 to it?
    It's 1200 right now. you should be able to get into a 325i for about $800 under invoice.
  • 800 under invoice is with the car the way i want it?(options)
  • cars direct shows the car
    325i, auto, cold/prem/sport/hk/xenon w/o metallic paint for 33,890...invoice is 34,090 in my zip code
    I hear it both ways.. They are nice to have, but they also come on occasionally when you would rather they didn't, and the spray ends up blowing grimy water over the front end of your car. Most say they could live without it. However, if you want the fold-down rear seats, might as well get the package, as they are included as well.

The "dealer incentive" (not rebate) is $1200 right now. A deal around invoice should be possible. It will probably go up in the fall, but selection will be less. If you can find the car you want now, I wouldn't wait. Have you found the car you want? Or does it have to be ordered?

regards,
    kyfdx