Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• squirtdadsquirtdad Member Posts: 22
    From what I am seeing overall.....with the $2500 dealer incentive, it looks like a good target for a '05 325 is $2000 below invoice......assumes $500 profit (without getting into holdbacks etc). Is this correct or am I missing anything?

thanks
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    According to Edmunds, there is no holdback on BMW's. I expect that dealers are paid a small stipend to prepare the car (PDI), which may or may not cover their costs in doing so.
  • skimoskimo Member Posts: 23
    Hello!

After months of price haggling i finally found 3 different deals (and a great dealer) I need to choose between. They are between an 05 325ci and an 06 325i (I prefer the 06 because manual trans but the 05 is more loaded with sprts pkg, xenons, harmon, leather but auto trans...help :confuse: )

05 325ci
    MSPR $36620
    Sell For $35020 + TT&L
    Payment : $431.17 @ 36 months @ 12k per year
    Total due @ signing : $3881.17

06 325i
    Lease:
    1)MSRP : 31470
    Cap Cost: 30500
    12k/yr 36 months Lease
    $1000 down + 1976.09(taxes)
    plus 1st payment & security deposit
    total due = 3824.74 @ 423.74 monthly

06 325i (same car as above)
    Owners Choice
    MSRP : 31470
    Cap Cost: 30500
    12k/yr 36 months BMW Owners Choice
    Total down = $3000
    $431 monthly no 1st payment or security deposit due at signing

PLease tell me if the deals im getting are good. Which one should I get (owner's choice vs lease?) Any advice appreciated...THANKS!! Need to decide by morning...

kinds regards,
    Skimo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,095
    Give us the breakdown of your "due at signing" on the first deal... After we have that, I can give you an opinion...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• skimoskimo Member Posts: 23
    Really do not know what is involved in the breakdown of "due at signing". However, I have deicded to go with the 06 model. So please look at the last two deals only. Only info he told me is that he is using a residual of 63%. The two deals are basically for the same car but with different contracts. One is a lease the other is an Owner;s Choice. I am in Texas so i have to pay full tax upfront. Dealer said the Owners Choice will help with that...

But doing the math, I find that whatever I saved in taxes...i end up paying in the high intrest of the Owners... any suggestions?

Think I could get a better deal on the O6?

thanks kyfdx
    skimo
    Not sure there are any "deals" on '06s...

Owners choice: Where you save in tax, is you can get a credit on the tax, if you have a trade-in, which I don't think you would get if you leased.. Also, if you trade in the owners choice car, you would get a credit on the next one.. Unfortunately, if you turn it in, and don't buy another BMW from the dealer, I don't think you'd get a credit...

I don't follow that plan very closely... If it were me, I'd rather lease the '05 coupe with all of the toys.. The '06 is going to be relatively expensive to lease, as there are no incentives on it... If I were going to lease it, I'd roll all of those taxes into the payment.. I wouldn't want to write that big of a check to rent the car..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• consult77consult77 Member Posts: 26
    I've seen information on these forums that the dealer does receive significant added funds. They aren't called a holdback per see but they may amount to the same thing. If you do a search with the subject: CSI (This may stand for Consumer Satisfaction Index) you'll find some information on this.

Some information I found on this forum (Prices Paid) were at posts: 3576 and 792.

I also found information at post 13689 on the overall 3 Series forum.

I believe I've seen other posts on the subject of other funds available to BMW dealers as well but I can't find them at the moment.

In my opinion the best way to take advantage of any incentives, holdbacks or any other cost reductions regardless of whether you know about them or not, is to get quotes from multiple dealers. This allows each dealer to judge current conditions and provide a price for providing the service of delivering a car to you. The price for this service will vary from dealer to dealer and from time-to-time for the same dealer. I've always found significant price differences when I have gotten quotes for services including car purchases. By getting quotes you are getting access to the real advantage of our free market economy. (Wave flag here!)
    Survey of "Deals" on '06's - offers I received in response to a price request online:
    1 - Full list price + unknown doc fee
    1 - Full list price + $499 doc fee (and they were very adamant that it wouldn't be waived--that's the highest doc fee I have ever seen!)
    1 - $500 off MSRP (unknown doc fee)
    1 - $1800 over invoice (unknown doc fee)
    1 - $1285 over invoice (including doc fees)
    1 - "come on down, we'll make a deal," but nothing via e-mail
    2 - no response

All of the dealers except the one offering $1285 over invoice were those closest to my home city of Lexington, Kentucky. kyfdx, I think you mentioned before that this area is a tough market due to lack of competition, and my results with this experiment seem to support that!

I'm putting down a deposit for the $1285 over invoice (which will now be 1330 over invoice because I'm adding the sport package), as soon as I can get the guy on the phone... Thanks for your help!
    Where did you get that deal?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You are right about the CSI money. Dealers are "rewarded" for good CSI scores, and reports I have seen say this money can run over $100,000 per month. Now, you would think that this would eventually come back to haunt the notoriously bad dealers, but here's the sinker: They get to throw out approximately 3% of the surveys. So long as you keep those you treat poorly and can't bribe into giving a good survey under 3%, you're home free...
    Passport BMW in Marlow Heights, MD, via the Internet department... It's not a deal yet, the guy hasn't called me back! :cry:

If that didn't pan out, my next strategy (since I'm doing the PCD) was to get quotes from the California area, where there's a BMW dealer on every streetcorner (higher demand as well, but TONS of dealers)...
    I think they do a lot of ED.. There is a guy there that is recommended in other forums... German name, I think....

You are doing PCD, right?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes on the PCD thing. I edited my message above after you posted...

My dad really wanted to go when I did the Performance Center Driving School, but there wasn't an open slot, so he will at least get to accompany me this time, and spend some time on the track. And he can drive a stick, so I won't have to drive the return trip by myself (although I may want to).
  • derfoderfo Member Posts: 36
    I had 2 offers on ordering a 06 325i, Premium and Auto for my wife. One at $1300 over invoice the other at $1550.00. I chose the $1550. Dealer is 22 miles from my home and will pick up the car for service and leave me a loaner. The $1300.00 offer was from a dealer 60 miles away and out of state.
    Money is not everything!!! Convenience and service are.
    Just my 02's.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    "If that didn't pan out, my next strategy (since I'm doing the PCD) was to get quotes from the California area, where there's a BMW dealer on every streetcorner (higher demand as well, but TONS of dealers)..."

Funny you say that. I've tried to get quotes from two dealers in the SF Bay Area over the last month using their Internet dealers. They're all hot to get me to call them and come in, emailing me every day.

But when I ask for MSRP, money factor and residuals, they clam up. Maybe they're leery about having deals cross-shopped? Or they don't want to reveal those details, they just want to sell you the monthly payments (after some steep upfront payment, no doubt)?
    I already know it won't be convenient, no matter what... It's one of the non-monetary costs incurred with the car. There are only four BMW dealers in the state of Kentucky. As far as I'm aware, none of them offers valet service, etc., and my experience with service loaners is that you can get a service appointment a week or two in advance if you don't want a loaner, but you need it at least a month in advance if you want it. Not to mention, if you move away, the free loaner cars do you no good. If I'm visiting my parents, or many of my friends, I'm a good spot away from a dealer.

I e-mailed three of the four. One never replied. One offered $500 off MSRP with unknown doc fees, and the other, the one I really wanted to do business with, offered the insane MSRP + $499. As noted before, this is a crummy area to live in if you're shopping for a European car...
    What I did was provide the invoice price on the car I wanted and ask for their best price. Some will ignore you, some will ask full MSRP (or more), and some will play along. I provided my phone number to establish the authenticity of my request, but requested that they not call. All but one honored this request... Didn't bother me because I expected it, and I just didn't answer the phone when a strange ID came up. You need to try more than two dealers, though, you've got a ton in that area.
  • carnagcarnag Member Posts: 42
    Thanks. I was wondering why the MF is so much higher on the 3 series vs the 5. It seems I could get an '05 530 for the same payments as an '05 330?/?? What do you think?

I have a deal for the 530 which you helped m on the 5 series board for $680/mo. Still a little high for me so I thought maybe a 3 series would be more economical, but it doesn't seem that way. Any help or input?
  • longlakelonglake Member Posts: 1
    What kind of pricing off of MSRP are folks getting? I am just starting with a couple of dealers in my area and would like to have an idea of what I can expect. If you choose the 7% reduction for European delivery, should you still expect to get any additional discount off of MSRP?
    The '05 330i has a dealer cash incentive... $4200... In lieu of any leasing incentives...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So does that mean they give you the $4,200 off MSRP or in addition to any price you negotiate? And there doesn't seem to be any leasing incentives for the 330's only the 325's. Am I correct? If the MF is 0.00250 that isn't much of an incentive vs. the 5 series 0.00125. I'm so confused???????? I'm basically able to get the 530 for invioce just like the 330, but the MF is double on the 330's, what is it for the 325's?
    You'll have to start over... Are you talking about '05 or '06?

The '06s have just come out... they will be much more expensive than the '05s.. and that applies whether you are talking about 330s or 530s....

The '05s all have incentives.. either dealer cash or lease incentives.. the '06s have NO incentives.. they will all be relatively expensive to lease..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

***What kind of pricing off of MSRP are folks getting?***
    $1300-ish over dealer invoice.

*** If you choose the 7% reduction for European delivery, should you still expect to get any additional discount off of MSRP?***

Yes!
    I'm looking at '05's only. The 530 is still a little pricey, so I thought I'd look at the 330. But it seems to me that if you are leasing, the 530 is actually a better option than the 330 due to half the MF. The only lease incentives are for the 325's not the 330's as far as I know. I was hoping to maybe get a 330 lease of around $500/mo vs the $680 of the 530. Am I making sense?? I'm still a little unsure myself : 0
    '05s...

330i has a $4200 dealer cash incentive.. you use that knowledge to negotiate a lower purchase price.. MF is .00225.. Residuals are fairly low, but low purchase price makes up for this..

325i has a $2500 dealer cash incentive.. MF is .00225. Residuals are a little better than the 330i, but the dealer cash is less

5-series.... 525/530 MF is .00125.. 545i is .0010 Residuals are very high on all three models (nearly as high as the '06s)... No cash incentives, but the lease deals are very good relative to the MSRPs...

The .0025 and .00265 money factors are on the '06 models..

Depending on the level of equipment, you might be able to get an '05 330i for around $500/mo, but $525-$550 is more realistic..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Do you know the MF for the '05 3 series if .0025 and .00265 are for '06?
    Just some number crunching hypothetically. '05 330 MSRP $42,000.
    With $4,200 cash incentive price paid $37,800.
    MF=0.00225 and residual of let's say 56% (I don't know what they are).

With these numbers it would be around $535/mo + tax, correct?

Tax of 7.5% so total tax around $3,150 (Crappy IL taxes) About $87/mo. for a total of around $622/mo.

Does this look about right?

I have a quote for an '05 530 for $682/mo which you said I could possibly get another $20 off/mo for about $662/mo MAYBE, but I doubt they will.

Why wouldn't I get the 530 for extra $40-60/mo?

Just curious. I was hoping the 330 would actually be a better deal, but it really isn't if I'm rightimage
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    Carnag-
    First of all $37,800 is way too much for a 2005 330 model. You should be able to knock down $7K-$7.5K off of the MSRP. I would shoot for $34K. With this price try your lease calculations again. Also I think the residuals are much lower now. Ideally you should not be paying more than $535/month (inlcuding the tax) with only about $1400 down which is the first months payment and tile/fees etc.
    Thanks.

I wasn't sure how the $4,200 dealer incentives were working. So they should be in addition to any negotiated price? I live in IL so the taxes kill me with leasing, but if I can get the car for $7,500 off I would prob. just buy. How is BMWFS for purchases vs. leases.

BTW I found a dealer willing to give me 3% financing on a 530 with sport/prem/cold/xenons and sat prep MSRP $54,095, only propblem he will only come down to $51,595. Shouldn't I be able to get this car for less? Here's his offer:

Lease Calculator Only Edit Fields in Yellow
    MSRP $54,095.00 Payment $611.77/mo
    Disc. $2,500.00 Tax Amount (if rolled in) $0.00
    Internet Price $51,595.00 Mo. Dep. $503.89
    Trade $0.00 Mo. Int.$107.87
    Money Down $0.00 Payoff $0.00
    Trade Equity $0.00
    Residual 63% 1st Payment $611.77
    Doc Fee $55.39 Sec Deposit $650.00
    Months 36 Aqc Fee $625.00 Doc Fee $55.39
    Lic & Title $143.00
    Rate 0.1250% Taxes (if not rolled in) $3,486.40
    Gross Cap$52,220.00 Money down $0.00
    Tax % Rate 6.75% Residual $34,079.85
    Tax Amount $3,486.40 Dep.$18,140.15 Total Due at Start $4,946.56
    '05 330i
    3yr/30K

$42000 MSRP
    $35000 selling price
    $35625 cap cost (selling price + acq.fee)
    Residual 55%
    MF .00225
    Payment $480 + tax...

Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit.. etc..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    I'm aghast. This is the thanks you get? Not only did you buy a car from him (for which he earned a commission), but you actually took the time to complete and return a customer survey giving him high marks (though not the highest marks).

If I were in your shoes, I would consider bringing this upsetting message to the attention of the dealership's management. Surely the dealership feels differently about your potential future business and referrals than this angry salesman does.

I once had a Honda salesperson pressure me into completing and returning a survey with all top scores. He even went so far as to ask me to call him first in the event that I would be inclined to give him anything less than a top score. Now, after reading your post, I have come to know the reason why.

This calls into question the integrity of the survey results, when salespeople resort to pressuring their customers into giving the highest marks because their bonuses depend on it.
    Thanks for the info kyfdx. Your help has been invaluable thus far!!!!

How does the deal on the 530 in previous post sound if I can get the selling price to $50,500 or so?

BTW is the performance package worth it for the 330 sedans?
    This '05 530i lease looks okay..

They are using the base money factor and acquisition fee which is good.. No garbage fees, other than the very minimal doc fee, so all good on that front.. In addition, the payment calculated matches up..

My only problem is with the discount... This is a fairly loaded '05 530i at that price... I would think at least another $500 off.. and maybe even $1000 more.

On another note, I would roll the sales tax into the lease payment... that will add just about $100/mo. to the price.. If you can get $1000 knocked off the selling price, that would subtract about $30/mo. from their quote.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks again.

Are people also getting $7,000 off on the 325's? I'm thinking of going that way since the dealer has the options I want on a 325.

Can you give me the info on the lease options for the 325's. MSRP of $36,695
    3yr/30 or 36k
    Details, details... that was on a 330i, not a 325i.. . The incentive on the 325i is only $2500.. A more likely selling price is $4500-$5000 off MSRP..

MSRP $36,695
    Selling price of $32,195

3yr/30K

Payment $443/mo. + tax

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm new to looking at the 3 series discounts. I've been looking at 530's for the past few weeks and realizing dealers really aren't that motivated it seems, so I thought maybe the 3's would be a better option.

Do you think it's better to buy or lease with the '05 3 series models? Just curious.

Sorry if I am becoming a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], but your help is great!!!!
    I think on the 325i, that the residuals are still strong enough.. that I would rather lease..

On the 330i, it is kind of a tossup.. Only lease if you are comfortable with it and it works for you.. No reason to do it from strictly a cost standpoint...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The dealer just got back to me about the 530. $689/mo including taxes with $1,598 or so out of pocket. It seems to be a great deal, but lately I've been thinking about a 3 series and saving money towards an '08 5 series MORE POWER.

What are the residuals for 325 coupes with manual, heated seats, xenons prem/sport package MSRP of $36,695. Good goal of $31,600 to pay??? 3yr/30k.

Payments of around $472/mo for IL resident including tax sound right?
    Sorry, not paying attention so much.
  • peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    My friend is interested in a

2004 325Ci..
    CPO'd
    silver metallic
    leather
    sports package
    premium package
    PDC
    Navigation System
    Xenon
    Heated Seats
    HK sound

10600 miles...dealer is down from $34990 to $33800.

Is it a good deal.

thanks
  • fox13weatherfox13weather Member Posts: 2
    How did I do??

06 325i

premium
    auto
    nav
    sat radio

MSRP 38,240

my price 36,240

3k at signing (includes 1st month payment/ $1646 cap reduction))

12k/36mths/$524 inc tax
  • asdf4asdf4 Member Posts: 1
    I just got this offer for 06 325i for european delivery for purchase.

auto
    metallic color

my price 29,000 with destination
  • kaushikgkaushikg Member Posts: 26
    I am looking for either a 2005/2006 330i with NAVI system. What is a goodprice for these model years keeping in mind that the dealers would like to clear their 05 stock. Also what is a good price for the 330Xi with NAVI.
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    It's going to be impossible to get a 2005 330i with Navigation. They are almost all gone. Bargain for about $7K-$8K off MSRP for these 2005 models.

For the 2006 330 models, the base price itself is $37K add navaigation cost to it. Visit this page for price details: http://byo.bmwusa.com/configurator/config/frameset.asp?Acode=XAB60BMC221A0

You won't be able to get much off a discount on the new models. Follow the forums here for past and future postings. But some people seem to have got $1500 off MSRP already.
    Sending the fax to put the deposit down right now, but my car is already ordered. I'm excited!
  • veekaveeka Member Posts: 3
    should I buy a DEMO CAR?
    2500 miles
    330xi with premium package, and heated seats, 2005, automatic
    Bottom price 34, 500(after all incentives, no other surcharges)?

THANKS
  • dd123dd123 Member Posts: 53
    Hi Guys,
    I am looking to buy the cheapest BMW 3 Series basically a stripped down version with no options at all ie manual transmission

Since 2005s are going to be phased out bcaz of 2006 already coming out.

Plz let me know whats the minimum price one can think of a bmw after considering all the rebates/discounts.
    may be ~23-24k
    I saw someone got a bmw for nearly ~25k brand new

I am really fascinated by bmws and really want to own one but a brand new one
    I want to buy in May with no fixed time frame and probably I can use time to bargain for good price
    regards
    DD
  • tksungtksung Member Posts: 34
    >
    > If you choose the 7% reduction for European delivery, should you still expect to get
    > any additional discount off of MSRP?
    >
    Yes. The cost to the dealer is basically the paperwork and redelivery prep. Other than that, the profit that they make on ED is essentially extra. Most ED guys I talked were very straight (except for one lying bozo). If you tell them that you are ready to put the deposit and ask them if they can do $ over ED invoice, they'll tell you yes or no. Most dealers won't go below $1500 over, citing the amount of paperworks or E90 being too new, but some are willing to do $1000 over.
    New '05 330xi have $4K dealer incentive on them... Hard to know how good your deal is without the MSRP..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator