Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kevin530kevin530 Posts: 25
    I actually think the Lexus extended hours are more about customer service than reliability, Gardis. Let's not forget that, during the 70s and 80s, the Japanese beat the USA senseless with customer service (and reliability) for almost every product manufactured. That ethic has only continued over the years. Extended hours is something that BMW and Mercedes could learn a lesson about - how much would I like to have the option of Saturday auto service!!!
    As for other posts about prices and costs of extended maintenance, I have come to believe that we all overpay for our BMWs, in one way or another. It is an emotional decision, ultimately, and there is no way we win in that situation.
  • vchadvchad Posts: 97
    with the 10' models on the lot, you should easily get 9500 off.

Id personally go for 10,500 off. They have a 5k rebate to work with, so taking 5k off a aged car, is least they could do. I was offered 9500, once I called my dealer out on the rebate, he went from 4k off to 9500 in 10mins, when he knew I wasn't stupid.

Be stern, dont feel like your offending them, or being rude. Stick with the price you want to pay, and if they wont agree, WALK AWAY...i'll bet ya 99% of time, they'll call ya back in within 2days.
  • bdbdbdbd Posts: 2
    Hi asterix4,

Do you mind sharing the dealership information? I'm also looking to buy a 08 5 series, and your purchase price seems to fit my buget. But all the dealers in DC area seem to ask for a much higher price. Did you negotiate hard to get 33600?
    Thanks a lot.
  • asterix4asterix4 Posts: 13
    bdbd - I bought it from BMW of Monrovia. I did not negotiate hard. I could have knocked off may be hundred or so dollars more.
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    I just looked at the dealer's 5 series for 2010 (computer generated) and I cannot tell the difference if there is any with the previous models. Certainly, it doesn't look like they made major changes.
  • dnagsdnags Posts: 2
    I owned a 1993 525 that I bought new and had for 10 years and 212000 miles. I loved that car, but I replaced it with an Infiniti g35, which is just not the same. I want to get another 5 series, so I started looking a late model, low mileage dealer loaners. They are asking between 37,000 and 42,000 for 2009's with about 6,000 miles on them. I have no idea what they would take, though. However, with the manufacturer/dealer 5k incentive, and the 2.9 pricing on new 2009's, don't you think I can do almost as well on a new one? I could probably buy a new one for 2 to 3k under invoice. Does anyone out there have any experience with this or an opinion? thanks.
  • bdbdbdbd Posts: 2
    Hi,
    This is the first time for me to buy a bmw. I'm looking at a 08 535i with prem, cold weather packages, and only 6 miles. The dealer's list price is 43k. How much room do I have for negotiation? The dealer said it's a used car (moved from new inventory to used inventory in 3/09, so the original warranty starts in 3/09). Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I would be prepared to play hardball and be prepared to walk away. I think that is the key. I had a 535 as a loaner and loved it, but I am concerned about the fuel pump problems BMW has had with this model and that the company now is extending the warranty on this for 120,000K. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I think this issue affects resale and perception.

Gardis, where did you see dealer renderings of the 2010 model?
  • gregoryxgregoryx Posts: 44
    you say that they're extending warranty for the 08 535 to 120k? is that just for the fuel pump?
  • sri3sri3 Posts: 4
    I am in the same boat. I am in Arkansas, and here, prices are higher for a similar 535i. May I know what state and which dealer, and what kind of mileage on the car approximately.
    Thanks!
    Gregory, I believe the warranty is just for the fuel pump, I can't imagine BMW extending the warranty for the entire car. While I love the 535, the pump problem might be a deal killer for me if I was going to keep the car a long time or drove a lot.
    Kevin, I looked on bmwusa.com, went to build your own, 5 series, and I figure that has to be the 2010? It's already end of August, wouldn't a new car be a 2010 at this point? Maybe I'm wrong........I guess so.
  • gregoryxgregoryx Posts: 44
    hmmm
    interesting . . . well good luck. i've had my 08 535xi since since may june 07 and i really like the vehicle. i'm waiting for my 2010 535xi to be delivered. my wife drives mercedes but i find the bmw dealer network (we've lived in 3 states in the past 3 years) has been great in dealing with any problem i've had. i find the customer service to be excellent
    Gardis, I am under the impression that the 2010s have been on the bmw site for the past couple of months at least. I am thinking that the 09s became last year's model in the late spring - early summer.
    You should not be building a 2010, my friend, since you just got a car you love!!!
    It is way too tempting!!!
    Guys,
    I just asked one of the dealers I worked with before I made my purchase. Here's what he told me:

The 2010 5-Series is still the same body style. It is still the same exact car. The 2011 5-Series will be the full redesign of the 5-Series model. The 2011's should start coming in mid-2010. We haven't seen any pictures of the 2011 5-series sedan but we have seen the 2011 5-Series Wagon. It is called the 5-Series GT. You can definitely find pictures online.

So that pretty much tells us what the plans are for the 5 series. Thanks Guys.
  • x021627x021627 Posts: 148
    I had a 2005 ES350 and let me tell you, routine maintenance for that car was expensive. I had to put brakes on a call with 33K miles at $750. That is ridiculous for a Lexus.......IMHO
  • ...was delivered this morning. Silver w/grey, Prem and Cold Weather, 27K, $31,400 plus $575 delivery (eastern PA to MI). Love it, but am totally intimidated by the iDrive - so complicated! Any tips, tricks and key info would be appreciated. I downloaded the manual and I'm slogging through...Where are all the 5 Series Wagon people lurking??
  • Hi where did you purchase your 528i cpo? I think thats a good deal. A dealer in florence, sc is selling a 2007 530 for the same price.

Thanks
    CC
  • Hi Guys, what is the key point of sports pkg for 535i, is it really necessary. Thanks...
  • The key point for the Sports Package on the 5 series (non X-drive models) is ARS (Active Roll Stabilization).

It keeps the car flat (no body roll) during hard turns. It improves handling and increases the fun factor!

There is only a slight decrease in ride comfort because it comes with low profile Run Flat tires. If you don't get the Sports Package the car comes with regular tires (non-run flat).
  • It is more clear now, thanks, jeffal...
    Further on the sports package: I have a 2007 530i that I bought from the dealer in Greenwich, CT. Vehicle had 24K on it. Sports package also gives you the black trim around the windows ("shadow line") and also sport rims. Now, if the car is "xi"
    then you get the regular rims that come with the 5 series even without the sports package and I don't under stand that. So that's two extra features you get with Sports. I love my vehicle.
  • Alright folks, I'm a proactive economist I suppose you could say, so I've digested a fair bit of this thread. I have a somewhat unique issue to bring to the table:

I am looking at several '06/'07 5-series in the greater Boston area and trying to get a feel for whether I can make the move or not. For me it's an all or nothing decision: I drove the 5-series and I love it, if I don't go that route I'm going to be a masochist and buy something hateful like a Camry.

Unique points: my company is giving me a $600/mo allowance for a car (and 38 cents to the mile). My accountant says that will all come to me clear after deductions for depreciation. My budget is essentially toppd out at $600/month and I'd like to keep it less than that for the total financing payment

I drive the car for work and will probably put 25,000 a mile on it. I'm very concerned about the turn-in value being 'upside down' if I were to 're up' in a couple of years.

Am I being paranoid or will I be able to afford my baby somewhere in the mid-500's and be able to turn it in without losing 3-6 grand.

For clarity, I'm assuming and (certainly in my case) that there will be $0 out of pocket. The cars I'm looking at all seem to be just under $30k with ~40k miles on them.

Thanks!

Joe
  • Hi everybody,

looking to get a CPO 528i. It comes with the extended warranty as part of the CPO. I am considering getting an extended maintenance plan that will cover maintenance for an extra 2 years after the initial 4yr/50K just like the extended warranty provides extra coverage for 2 yrs. The extended maintenance will cover the maintenance items like oil change, brakes, pads, wipers, services etc just like what BMW does for the initial 4 yr/50K. How much should i pay for this? Dealers are asking for around $2,000.

Thanks!
  • My dealer has a 535xi new w/ Cold weather pkg, M sport pkg, prem pkg, Navigation, comfort access, rear sunshades, heated rear seats, park distance control, Xenon headlight/adaptive light control, IPOD/HD rad/Sirius, Logic 7 snd sys

they say that they reported it as sold some time ago to get a $5000 incentive. they want $56,342. Is this a good price? they say they can only give me 4.9% for 60 months financing... I'm not sure that's entirely true.
  • sounds like a great deal. I go the 09 535xi with cold,prem,sport packages, nav,parking distance, foldable back seat, heated back seat,ipod attachment for 57500. would love to have the sunshades and comfort access though
  • dnagsdnags Posts: 2
    I bought an 09 535 about six weeks ago. It had every option except nav (winter package, sports package, shades, premium package, etc.) It was an executive car with about 15k miles on it, but it was sold as a new car. MSRP was 59k and I got it for 40k. they gave me the incentive, but wanted to give me 6.9 financing. I told them to "cuddle it" and they found 4.4 at bank of america.
  • hi guys.

I'm considering getting a used 2008 535i. And the dealer offer me 31200 after Michigan tax.

The carfax reports indicates the High-pressure fuel pump problems, I didn't really know what that is, (sorry, I dont know too much about cars) and just wondering if it is worth to get. please help me out.. the following pdf is the reports dealer sent to me.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B0LYY5oWv2udMWUxMWU4ZmYtZGJjYS00Mjk0LTg3M2Qt- ZDRkNmM5NjUwOWJm&hl=en
  • I have 2008 535i sport and prem. But I hate the sport option because the run flat tire. It is too soft. Even before the 20,000. It is gone. I had to replace them all and very expensive. Don't get it if possible. Not worth it.
  • Hi:

I was just into my local dealer pricing a 2010 535XI (for one of the last orders). Guy seemed very amenable to going $500 over invoice (or thereabouts). Almost TOOOOO easy, if you know what I mean. :)

Does anyone know if BMW is offering cash incentives (either to dealer or customer) in the NY area? That might explain things.

Thanks.