Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• phylpphylp Posts: 49
    Both prices are very good compared to what I saw in the Research Triangle NC area over the last couple of months, including non-CPO, for more than you describe.

Query: If this is a trade-in deal, have they given you good value for the trade? Are you financing with BMW? Is there room to get an even better deal. . . ?

Good luck.
  • In this case, the dealer will not take the deal because it represents a huge loss....protecting resale values is generally not a consideration. I think buyer can reasonably expect to pay somewhere in the low 49000's on this car...before any incentives or rebates are applied.
    Well, forgive me for being a beat behind in my recent reply.

Congrats on a great deal!
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Excellent research, Sergey. Are those run flats?
    I figure if I go to a Town Fair Tire, I should be able to get away with upper $200's for maybe a Toyo or even Bridgestones. AGain, that was an article in the Wall STreet Journal.
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Who installs them? Does Costco install tires? I didn't know that.
  • Yes COSTCO sells then at a great price and fixes flats for free as long as you buy from them.
  • Thanks, Its a 2010.
  • Thanks for the reply.
    btw, i had no trade-in. No financing from bmw.
  • did u lease or pay cash?
  • Hi All,
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 07 550i CPO with 8K miles (original msrp of 65K with options). Wanted to ask your thoughts on the following

1) final negotiated price of $37k
    2) Wheelguard tire and rim warranty for $1500. Car has run flat tires
    3) $2400 for extended maintenance program

think I will pass on the maintenance but am seriously considering the tire warranty.

Please advise
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,591
    pass on them both.

$1500 will buy you a new set of 4 tires.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• That price is OK...mainly that low due to low miles, but remember, the warranty is also time limited. I got my 2007 550i CPO with 35k miles last Feb for $35k...its original MSRP was $70k.

pass on the wheelguard/tire.

If you want to get the maintenance plan, shop around. You can buy it later and I have seen it for as low as $1800.
  • The dealer is putting MSRP price, the invoice price for this car should be 48,100. Since the redesigned model is around the corner, I think 45K-46K should be a good starting point. Any thoughts on this from anyone?
  • Do you have any updates on this deal you were being offered? thx
  • Hi, I am curious how your negotiations went. Did you make the deal at $500 over invoice or did you try a lower price? thx.
  • rezrez Posts: 41
    Hello, in the market for a used/ CPO '08 535i with possibly Sports, Premium and Navigation and mileage around 25K. Upgrading from a '00 Passat. A few questions. #1 I have noticed quite a few of these vehicles being manufacturer buy backs. Typically the ignition coil or the high pressure fuel pump were replaced and the vehicles are sold with the 4 yr/ 50K warranty with additional warranty on the replaced part. Are those good to buy? If so, at what price range??
    #2 If a vehicle has the Sports Package, the wheel size is 18" and the rear tire size is different from the front ones, which IMO, deprives one from taking advantage on getting a deal on buying a set of 4 tires. Please, advise if I should avoid the Sports Pkg, and opt for the 17" wheels.
    #3 Extended warranties and tire/ wheel warranties...are they mandatory as far as value goes, or are they good to have? Whats a good price for them?

Generally, is there anything in particular I should be looking for in the vehicle? Thank you in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,733
    1) I would never buy a buy-back car.. Those cars were under warranty.. How bad was the problem, that BMW offered to buy the car back? If they could make it "good as new", then they wouldn't have had to take it back.

2) Tire dealers don't care if you have staggered sizes... they'll still make a deal on 4 tires.. But, the 18" tires are very expensive and wear very quickly... If you are concerned about tire wear and cost, stay away from the Sport package.

3) I've never bought one.. some people swear by them.... Keep in mind... any warranty/service contract is built to show a profit.... Chances are, you'll come out ahead without it, on average.. You might not, though.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thank you, kyfdx.that was big help, cause i somehow got stuck on the buyback cars thinking I can get a better deal. eBay has a lot of them posted. Now Ill look at dealers. The 535i should be at a good bargain soon as the new model is coming out soon?
  • Hi i'm new here and i had a difficult question being a new BMW owner.

I am about to pull the trigger on a pre-owned 2004 BMW 530IA with 64,300 Miles. with a standard 90 day warranty for the dealer in NY.

1 owner, all highway miles, out of New york state, like Ohio or Maryland (I live in NY).

No smoker vehicle, gray on black interior, fully loaded Automatic with Cold weather package which has heated steering wheel, Xenon lights, navigation system, he says he just changed the tires not too long ago with continentals tires. Includes front and rear parking sensors, with rear climate control & memory seats for the front.

Has been serviced 4000 miles ago.

No crash history whatsoever, very clean carfax, with no dents scratches or any marks, inside or out. Looks very clean for a car with 64,000 miles.

the price on the car is $17900, BUT he knocked it only down to $17500 since im paying cash and doesn't even wanna budge with price, lower than $17500.

With tax and document fees (about $275 since its out of state car), the total is about $19340.

do you think this is a good deal, being these amount of miles?

how long should the car last me in miles if i maintain it?

i heard since its the first new body of this model that it sometimes have glitches or malfunctions in the car which BMW hasn't worked out yet?true?

And lastly how much does new brake pads cost individually, not to install but just to buy?

again this is my first BMW so any assistance with this purchase will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for reading my post!
    One more question, please. If I forego the Sports package for the sake of the 17" tires, I'm also sacrificing is the multi-contour seats. Just wanted to ask if the regular seats are any good? Also, is there anything else I'm sacrificing with the sports package? I'm a 1st time bimmer buyer upgrading from a vw passat, so any advice would be appreciated, please
  • my 2 cents . . . i purchased a 2010 model with multi-contoured seats after driving a 2008 with standard seats. the difference between the seats and the level of comfort is noticeable. the standard seats are comfortable and adequate for sure . . . but the multi contoured seats are significantly more comfortable - particularly on long road trips
  • Yea, I did $500 over "invoice", with the caveat that invoice included Training Fee ($180) and MAACO ($300). I won't take delivery until late December at the earliest, at which time I'll decide if I want to lease, finance or buy outright. If either of the first two there may be some Holiday cash ($2500) available.
  • my closing is tomorrow morning, about 10 am eastern, anyone have any suggestions or comments to my earlier post about this purchase i'm about to pull the trigger on.

any help much appreciated!

thanks.
  • I own a 530 with the sports package. There are only two real reasons I prefer the sports package. One, the seats. The sports seats are a must for me. Second, the shadow line trim. I think it looks tons better than the silver trim. I could care less about the 18" tires and and sport suspension, although I am sure driving gurus would certainly prefer it. If I could have the sport seats in a 528 or 535 without the sports package, I would be tempted even if I did not get the shadow line trim. Just my opinion for what it is worth. Good luck with your new car.
    I bought a 2008 BMW 535i in October with about 26K on the clock - premium and cold weather packages, plus multi-contour seats. Wanted to say that when I looked at the tire warranty issue, I passed because the 17" wheels are pretty hefty as opposed to the 18" wheels that are more prone to damage. The dealer installed new Goodyears before my purchase. So, I went to Just Tires and bought their hazard protection for the tires. I am taking my chances as to the rims. To be honest, I have hit a curb and a pothole or two thus far with no problems, so I suspect all will be well.

Good luck.
  • If you don't mind sharing can I please ask how much the dealer asked for the tire and rim warranty on your 2008 535? I just bought a 07 550i and paid $1400 for a 5 year warranty. Think I paid too much and have a 60 day cancellation policy. Not sure if it is worth it...
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 262
    I paid $875 for wheel/tire insurance for 3 years/unlimited mileage last week when I've got my 2010 550. It is interesting though that while style 172 Sport wheels on 2010 550 are more expensive than style 124 that I had on my 2007 the RFT tires on 2007 are almost twice as expensive as 2010 non-RFTs

Note though that for around $1,200 you can get a set of new take off 124 wheels with tires.
    I was offered the three year tire warranty for $749, but the "starting" price was $799.

Also, I drive in a zone that has good roads and some, but not many, potholes in winter. If I were in NY/NJ, for example, I would definitely get the tire warranty with the 18s and probably for the 17s.