Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I am in CT and looking to buy a new 528XI with just steptronic and xenon in January.The MRSP with destination lists on BMW's webs site as $50,075.

I would appreciate any suggestions that forum members would be able to share about what price to expect. O should I seek to use one of the buying services (Amex, others?) in order to avoid a difficult negotiation (which I am never any good at :) ).

Or do people think I'm crazy and that I shoudl wait 9 months until the 2011 version of the XI is available in the fall?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and help.
  • nsoltznsoltz Posts: 6
    Remember that in this market, add $180 for Training and $300 for MACO to the invoice prices on Edmunds. I just bought a 2010 535xi wagon from Pace in Mamaroneck (same ownership as Greenwich BMW). I paid invoice + Training + MACO + $1000. I suspect you might be able to get a 528xi for between $500-$1000 over invoice. Act by end of business today (Jan 4) and you can get the $2500 BMW rebate. Need to finance it for 36 mo @ 3.9% but you can pay it off in 4 months if you like. No prepayment penalty is assessed.

The 2011 "F10" looks terrific. But I would be somewhat concerned about buying an unproven new model. However, with the BMW 4yr/50K maintenance, I would risk it. I could not hold off because I wanted a wagon and who knows if or when BMW will import the new wagon.

I wouldn't use a buying service because I would much rather look carefully at vehciles.

There really doesn't have to be difficult negotiation. Tell your CA you want to work from invoice up. Mine immediately printed invoice and said his price was +$2500. I said that I knew that $1K was a fair profit on a wagon. He was able to accept. We negotiated a bit over the trade and the hardest negotiation was with the wife.

Took longer for the marital negotiations than with the dealer ;)

She finally remembered something that her late father told me over 30 years ago: "If you want a car, just buy it."

Drove it home an hour later.
  • Thank you very much nsoltz. That is tremendously useful info.

Was going to pay cash and did not think of the lease. What does the lease acquisition add to the costs so that one can access the $2,500 lease incentive on purchase? (I'd plan to pay it off in 4 months, as you suggested).
  • Looking at a 2006 BMW 530xi with cold weather, premium and auto packages. It is a CPO car that I can get for $27,000. The problem that I see is that it has 55,000 miles. I am also looking at the same car with DVD Navigation System, Cold Weather Package, Heated Steering Wheel & Dual Heated Seats, Premium Sound Package, Premium Package, Automatic Steptronic and 40,000 miles that is not a CPO car for $28,000. Both carfax clean and one owner but the second one is not from a dealer.

Thoughts?
  • Both cars are 2007's.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,453
    No obvious answer but you might do national searches to guage what prices are on 07's that you are interested in. Give you a baseline to compare.
  • jayrider, thanks for the response. The 40K mile car obviously seems like a better deal but it is not a CPO car. My brain is tired from searching websites for cars. Should the high miles be a concern?
    You need to ask someone who has experience with bmw's. Independent service isn't too bad but repairs can be costly. Are you ok with possible big expenses to have a driving machine? May not have any problems but you need to be comfortable with the possibility. There are a lot of decent new/almost new cars you can buy for 28k. Decision is up to you. The risk of expensive repairs deter you if you really want the bmw. It is part of the package.
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 258
    2010 5-series (E60) production did stop at 12/24/2009. The new 2011 (F10) will start production any time now. Good deals on 2010 will be available but you cann't order one to your spec. Will have to take one of leftovers.
  • Went to a dealer today to buy 2010 BMW 528XI and was told no more are being produced. They had none and would have to find one in order to fulfill any orders for a new vehicle. But not sure that if they found one it would be a good deal or not.
    I purchased rather than lease. Intent was to pay cash but $2500 rebate more than offsets the interest charges. So I can't speak to lease acquisition charges. Good luck!
  • dturrdturr Posts: 70
    Check on the BMW UK website delivery and pricing details available on a range of models.
  • rezrez Posts: 41
    You might get a good deal only if you go to the dealer actually having the car in their own inventory, not at a dealer who is searching to see which dealer has it and trying to acquire it from them.
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Hi,
    I ultimately bought from Greenwich BMW from a saleslady that was honest and straightforward. When she gave me the price, I believed her. I love the car I got (CPO 2007 530i, loaded). I would try them. I used the BMW USA website and did a search on the vehicles within a 50 mile radius of my town in CT. That' s how I found mine.

Also found Bridgeport BMW very active, they move a lot of cars, give them a shot also. I have mine serviced at Darien BMW because I always used them and have a good relationship with the service tech. Good luck,

Gardis
  • Thanks for the ideas gardis.

Actually, an interesting coincidence, nsoltz had suggested he found what he wanted at Pace (which is same group as Greenwich and just into NY) so I went to Greenwich first (closer to home in CT), found a helpful salesperson and got a reasonable, up-front price for the car that I was looking for. So I just bought it on the spot and picked it up last week.

The help I got from this Forum has been sensational. Thanks to all.

Hope you enjoy your 530i. That's a nice car!

Robert
  • I am trying to buy my first BMW and would appreciate some guidance and tips on landing a good deal. The car is advertised for $35,489 from a dealer and its certified.

It has the following:

25,835 miles, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenons, navigation system, automatic high beams and automatic transmission. It has extended warranty until end of 2013.

What is a good price to get this at? And is the extended maintenance plan worth it?

Thanks in advance!
    Ravi
  • phylpphylp Posts: 49
    I bought a similarly equipped 2008 BMW 535i with about that mileage in Oct 2009 for $39,800, plus new tires, and other non-price concessions. I did check out 2008 528i pricing. By that time, the good ones I came across were in the $33k to $37K price range, with miles under 20K.

My two cents worth. -- It is even later along now. My "guess" is that the mileage and time factor should be worth at least a couple thousand dollars off the quoted price, especially if you are willing to walk away if they do not meet your price. If you offer $30K all they can say is no and maybe you can split the difference and wind up at $32.5K. Yes, I like to haggle.

Tip: After you test drive, negotiate online and via e-mail. That really helped me. I went back in to the dealer only after they were very close to my offered price, but got to the end of the day face-to-face. Made the process smoother. Good luck and please post how things go.
  • dturrdturr Posts: 70
    You are looking for the same vehicle as myself. I am in SW Florida but have not found the right color specification and price. Vehicles down here seem to be $2k more than those on the east coast of Florida !!
    For a vehicle such as you describe with 30k miles I would write a check for $32k today if it was CPO and met my requirements.
    Good luck and remember not to feel under pressure, it's only a car and they ususlly want to sell as much as you want to buy.
  • Just bought a 528xi with Nav, Xenon in NJ

MSRP 52675
    Price: 50800
    DownPmt: 3500
    Tax/Title/ + 725 acq fee paid up front
    $6700 at signing
    Monthly: $599
    Money factor .00195
    Residual: 62% with 12K miles
  • The dealer is offering a certified pre-owned 2008 535xi with 26k miles for $38500.

The car is in great shape - no visible scratches. Interior in excellent condition.
    Navigation, leather, cold weather, comfort, parking assist, heads-up display, Logic 7 sound, keyless ignition.

I'm looking to purchase a car ASAP so I'd really appreciate any input before making this purchase!

(my first car purchase so I'm a little nervous - gulp!)
    Is it CPO? Excellent price for CPO. Still a good price for non-CPO. Did you have dealer run service records? And what part of the country? That's a factor in price as well. All in all, price sounds good as an absolute number. The real number is what is a good price to you.
  • Yes, it's a CPO. I'm in the New England area.

The salesman we are working with was not at the dealership when I dropped by to check out the car so a service man allowed me to test drive the car. I'll be checking the service reports and getting a detailed car history tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Seems like a good deal to me!
    Grab it before some else beats you to it!

And enjoy!!!!
    Looked on autotrader and saw several cpo's with half the miles for 2k less. And that was asking price -- with the economy expect to get them for less. Maybe not as loaded but those exras like nav don't translate into the resale equation for more than $200. In my opinion the miles are too high at 26k to justify that price when you can find one with less than 15k. Found one in norwood for 37k and 18k miles.
  • Thanks Jayrider.

To be honest - the 26k miles is the only thing that is a concern to me... I checked the Norwood website and I believe the car with 18k miles for $37000 is a 528xi.
    I was looking at a 535xi.
    Sorry -- the 535 is a different animal. Make sure to fasten your seatbelt. ;)
  • millwood0millwood0 Posts: 451
    "The dealer is offering a certified pre-owned 2008 535xi with 26k miles for $38500."

we looked at a 535 wagon a few years ago and it would have cost us over $60k.

so a 1-2 yr old sedan with just 26k miles (nothing for a modern car) is a steal.
  • Thanks for the tips. I did put in a offer on friday and the dealer said he would get back to me yesterday. Ofcourse, he did not. I will wait for his manager's reply tomorrow and may be counter offer. Will keep you guys posted.
  • Bought the car yesterday for $38360.

This car is fun :)

Thanks for the help guys...
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Congratulations Happy! Sounds like you are very happy with it. Good Luck. I think that was a fair price. Funny they only took off a couple of hundred dollars, just like my deal, they wanted $36,900 I ended up paying $36,200. Still I was happy with it, and I love my car. Thanks, keep us posted.

Gardis in CT