Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,650
    you live in CT right? I just moved here about a month ago. You NEED more power for all those short on ramps on the Merritt & to pass on all those glorious sweeping uphill curves.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• gardisgardis Posts: 185
    well the 530i has a bigger engine than the 528, and it's plenty for me. And anyway you see how much trouble all that power is bringing? I'll do without it. The in line 6 cyl is a great engine. They got all the kinks out of it now.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,077
    well the 530i has a bigger engine than the 528...

Which 528?

The newer 528 has a 3.0 litre engine, just like the 530.... :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I am in the market for a 2011 550i, and was wondering whether there is anybody who can give some insight into the pricing. The MSRP for the well equipped configuration I am interested is $79575, with the invoice $73019. The best offer I have so far (dealer in Portland Oregon) is $76500.

Any thoughts on this?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,650
    The only thoughts I can give you are from what I know from driving this amazing vehicle during BMW's Ultimate Drive Event. Whatever you pay, it will be worth every penny. Torque comes on instantaneously. Handling is brilliant. The ride is smooth. Triple digit speeds come up very fast. If the 550i had wings, it would fly. Best of luck to you. I'm jealous

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• jazzy15jazzy15 Posts: 9
    Raven108 My price was 32,650 with no other dealer fee's.... BUT TAXES, TAGS, and STATE REGISTRATION fees were extra.
    I found the ONLY way to make them budge was to visit in person negotiate HARD then leave telling them you are going to another dealer (and do) the same day and repeat. The the next day compare notes and when each calls you (they will)....offer them a price that you think based on your research is low, but not totally off the wall.
    I can tell you for a fact that by negotiating hard with the dealers on what CPO costs them and reconditioning costs, it became clear there was a mix of truth and BS in the whole thing.....
    Only way to get the best deal is to have a few cars that are somewhat close in mileage and equip and force them down.
    The final price I paid would have been less than all the costs they told me they had (which means obviously the costs they told me were not accurate).

Hope this helps.
  • neil55neil55 Posts: 9
    It appears that the invoice on your car is 47,060.
    So your price was 7300 below invoice ? That is a fantastic price.
    My understanding was that with the 5500 cash to dealer , a good target price would be 5500 below invoice.
    Any tips on getting a deal liek yours ? feel free to pm me if you wish.thanks
  • neil55neil55 Posts: 9
    Please advise as to what is a good target price for a new 2010 e60 535 ?
    My first thought was 5500 below invoice to take into account the cash back but I have noticed some mention of better deals.
    Having said that , there have not been recent sales reported on this board so no good comparisons
    Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
  • Hi-

I have a 2008 535Xi with this major issue- almost killed me twice!

My dealer is dragging their feet- says they are working on a trade assit deal- but no numbers yet.

what should I expect- if I get a raw deal any contacts at BMW I should reach out to???
  • dl_amgdl_amg Posts: 39
    We just bought an used one year old 2010 550i w/7k on it for $49500 + local tx. Car has a MSRP of $72k+ and is local neighbor city car. It's not CPO coz we got it at MBZ dealer. I thinks the deal is excellent as its about $22k below MSRP. Happy motoring.
  • I have an 08 335 which is a great car, but the fuel pump issues are horrible. I see that the the 2011's went to a single turbo vs. the twin for my car. I am working with BMW on a possible buy back of my '08 and would consider the 2011 535 if the fuel pump issues have been resolved. Can anyone give me any informaton on this?

Thanks.
  • Has anybody heard when these vehicles will become available. I've only heard "maybe sometime in October"
  • kelfkelf Posts: 83
    Is this proper place to post what deals you found on ED. The ED thread is basicalLy dead. If you respond on ED car you purchased since 1/1/2010: please post which dealer and how much over or under dollars deal you made compared to the ED stated prices ( not compared to the US MSRP dear prices). Thank you.
  • agileagile Posts: 3
    Just factory ordered a 2011 535i for $55,900 + fee & Tax, MSRP is $58,200, is it a good deal?

This is the spec:
    Black Sapphire Metalic
    Everest Gray Dakota Leather
    Dark Wood Trim
    Dynamic Handling Package
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    STEPTRONIC automatic transmission
    Split fold-down-rear seat
    Destination & Handling $875
  • You should be at least $200 over invoice. That is the deal I'm seeing now through my buying service. I just ran your specs through it and it says $54,430 (no haggle price).
  • knasirknasir Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    I've been reading posts on this forum for some time and I have read some very useful information. So, yesterday I went to take the plunge on a 2004 530i with 56,000 miles at $20,990. The car is at BMW dealership, but no CPO secondary to year and mileage. I need a larger car b/c my wife and I just had our first child, which means I will have to get rid of my MINI Cooper S. :(
    The car looks clean, drives well, Carfax is clean with two previous owners, and appears to have no major issues. Could a BMW guru please check out the link below from Cars.com and give me their opinion? It would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listin- - gId=49869109&listingRecNum=3&criteria=prMx%3D25000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26- - mkId%3D20005%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20470%26mdId%3D20496%26mdId%3D20498%26mdId%3D- - 20500%26mdId%3D36963%26mdId%3D20502%26mdId%3D20481%26mdId%3D35050%26mdId%3D21396- - %26rd%3D50%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-yrId%26zc%3D21- - 220%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-9-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26- - yrId%3D20143%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national
  • Hi , it seems a little expensive , you should consider a 2008 528i CPO, with this you will be getting the $1500 payment credit from bmw also
  • rrr1rrr1 Posts: 3
    Pretty much the same specs incl. the colors but I factory ordered the 'xdrive' back in Sept first week for $1000 over invoice. The difference between 535i and 535ixdrive is around $1500 and is well worth it. Only problem is that it took 6weeks (I could track it online) and got a phone call yesterday (Saturday, Oct 16) that the car has arrived. Can't wait - but, I thought if you want you can possibly upgrade to an xdrive. I was not going to haggle for a few hundred dollars esp when you are shelling down almost $60k! My three cents...
  • Also be aware of the scheduled maintenance expenses that can be significant for a BMW that old.
    The prices I found were between $17,000 - $20,000, so the price is not far from this range. It's more about the total price and the monthly payments. 2008 is out of my price range. Is that also the N series engine with the HPFP problems?
    edited October 2010
    Infinitmn -

This got me to thinking about the extended warranty to 100,00 miles. However, I have read that self-insuring may be the better way to go b/c the things that tend to go are the water pump and radiator/thermostat before 100,000 miles. This may run me between $2,000-2,500 dollars total which is less than the warranty would cost. Any thoughts on this?
  • the 535 engine has the issue , however bmw has covered it for 10 years/100k miles
    the 528 engine does not have the issue , and it is same as the 530 engine
  • Im looking into purchasing a CPO 5 series. The Dealers in my area are currently offering a CPO special of .9% financing, $1500 off the price or 2 years of free maintenance. It seems like the maintenance is the best value, but the dealer just informed me that the free maintenance option requires me to finance through BMW, which has rates roughly 1.25% higher than I can achieve with AAA. The payment itself is one thing, but I'd also like to know if there are prepayment penalties and any other costs related with financing with BMW finance on a CPO

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
  • jaywayjayway Posts: 2
    I am negotiating with several dealers to buy a 550i in the greater Boston area. I plan to buy the last week of Oct. Because of the options I want, the car needs to be ordered. The prices I have gotten in the first round are $4,800 under MSRP, which is $900 over Edmunds invoice price.

Admin doc fees are in the $300 range.

Questions:

How does this pricing compare with other deals?

Any recommendations for dealers in the Boston or southern NH areas that provide lowest pricing?

Thank you!
  • I just did CPO in July and got the free maint to 100K. I had to finance a minimum of 10K to get the deal and pay their commercial rate which was about 7%. I was told I could pay off the loan after 4 months and still have the maintenance for free, but I have not tested that yet.
  • Good info

I figured their would be a minimum loan amount and some type of early termination clause.

Besides their commercial rate, were there any other finance charges you can recall?
  • I am looking to purchase BMW535ix Drive, please advise me the best price I can get in NJ/NY area
    Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A reporter wants to talk with someone who is deciding between a new Lexus, BMW and/or Mercedes. Please email pr@edmunds.com asap with your daytime contact info, your city and state, and the vehicle models currently under your consideration.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Just looking for some input on my upcoming decision. My '08 550i comes off 36 month lease in 9 days. It has 33k miles on a 15k/yr lease. The car has never been damaged and is in near perfect condition. Residual is $41k, with taxes ~$44k to buy. I have arranged 3rd party financing at 3.99%. However, $44k seems a little steep to me given what KBB says. While discussing this with a local dealership, I noticed they had an '08 550 CPO (22k miles) on the lot listed for $43k. So one option is to turn mine in and buy that one if they won't drop the price. Other options, according to the dealer, are to get it certified and they would finance at 2.9%. OR, of course they happen to have a new 550 on the lot that they'd be willing to finance for 3.9%, 60 months, no $ down, monthly payment just over ~$1k (I didn't ask the sell price at the time b/c frankly a new car wasn't even on my mind). Thoughts?
  • actively considering 2011 MB Eclass 4MATIC and 535xi
    forward your email so I can send you the requested info