Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,067
    edited November 2010
    Respond to pr@edmunds.com

If you see a red X, that's where the "at" symbol goes..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,982
    I think your best option is to call your salesperson (client advisor) and see what they'll sell you the car for. They can buy it back from BMWFS at an auction price and resell it to you cheaper than BMWFS will. You can save yourself a lot of money by doing this.

Now, how do you get a price to negotiate with? There are a few boards here on edmunds town hall that will help you out.

REAL WORLD TRADE IN VALUES - Type in the years, make, model, color, options, condition... and there are actualy car salesman that will give you a very good estimation as to what your E60 550i is worth.

BMW 3 series - Prices Paid - I know this is a 3 series board, but there is a member named gbrozen who has a subscription to GALVES (the auction in the northeast) and can look up for you how much the last cars similar to yours crossed the auction block for.

After you determine a price and negotiate with the dealer, bring the car into the service department for a Pre Purchase Inspection. If the car is going to need new tires (to qualify for CPO), then buy new tires so the dealership doesn't have to. If the car is going to need brakes or a service soon, see if the dealership will do it and this way BMW pays them for the warranty work (if they have to replace the brakes under CPO, then it costs them money).

Good luck & keep us posted.

Just so you don't think I'm pulling a rabbit out of my hat... We turned in an '07 X3 at the end of July. BMWs buyout was $26K & change. The dealer offered to sell me the truck for $21,600 + CPO + Tax. I turned them down, because I didn;t want a second car payment on a 3 years old 45K mile BMW.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• Hello, I'm new to this forum, and BMW's in general. I am thinking of purchasing a CPO '08 528xi, much to the dismay of my husband. He says maintenance costs are always 4 figures and upkeep is too high. I have heard good and bad, and after reading a lot of these posts I am still confused. The cars I'm considering are 1-owner, between 39,000 and 45,000 miles, ranging in price from $33,4 to $36,2. Any thoughts either way anyone can share? I live in MA.
  • phylpphylp Posts: 49
    We bought a certified pre-owned 2008 BMW 535i last October. The car is a joy! Maintenance costs so far have included an alignment, at the cost of $175 -- which is high for that service. Otherwise, a little indicator light comes on telling us to get service, we go to the dealership, and leave without paying a dime because, frankly, we have already paid for the service in the purchase price. The plan is to trade up to a 2011 around this time next year. Without hesitation.

Allow me to suggest buying the lowest miles and only from a reputable dealer who will stand behind the car and help you advocate if there are any warranty issues. All dealerships are not created equal. Go out of town if you must. Also, after the test drives, we did almost all negotiating via e-mail. Much more pleasant.
  • For Nov is it still .00023 and 57% even with the holiday 1500 gift card? Car is about to arrive before month end... Appreciate the help! Thx
  • In July I got 2008 535i, Nav, Premium, Cold Weather, upgraded seats for 32.5K. Prices you are getting are too high. If you finance it at regular rates (or part of it) they will incl no cost maint to 100K miles.
    What was the asking price?

• It was like $35K or so. THe car had 41K miles.
  • Looking to purchase. Any recent price quotes? Please detail vehicle options.
  • Greetings.

I am 60 days out from the lease end of my 2007 530i with 31k miles onboard. Residual value is 16,950. In considering my buy out options I am trying to figure out what is the reasonable cost of the CPO tag. I visited a dealer today and they were nebulous with details but quoted me a selling price of 21,250. The car has tires with <10k on them and don't likely need to be replaced. Essentially, this amounts to a $4,000 certification for an extra 2 years on a relatively low mile car. Does this seem to be a reasonable fee? Thanks in advance

John
  • For starters, your residual seems low. You did not say whether you had option packages or not, but even for a base model, both your resale and your dealer sell price are low. If your car has premium pkg and nav, I would say that your dealer would be looking to get high 20's for the car....less without these.
  • Jazzy15,
    This was a special situation where I leased a lease return. Part of the appeal was the low residual value since at my lease inception as I was considering buying the car outright. (530i w/ sport package, heated seats, premium seating) The lease manager tells me that they would essentially have to buy the car from BMW FS for more than my residual. Not sure that I buy that but I'm getting figures of 3,000-4,000 to CPO it. Seems steep to me and considering the low mileage and reliability I have experienced I am considering just buying it outright. Any alternative view points are greatly appreciated
  • I too wanted to know what the 'CPO' stamp costs. I got figures all over the place when I shopped, what I found out was they consider the CPO designation adds 3K of VALUE to the car, but they don't PAY 3K. Its been a few months but I remember their costs as being between 1-2K.
    The bottom line I found out in negotiating was if I talked to multiple dealers and asked the same types of detailed questions and went back and asked the same people the same questions again a few days or a week later, they could not keep track of what they previously told me and I would be able to figure out what was fact and what was baloney.
    Anyway, if the residual on your car is what you stated, and you can buy it out for the residual I would take it. You can keep it, or sell it yourself for more.
  • I tracked maintenace costs for my 2002 530i and found that my costs in lieu of extended warranty and extended maintenance plans were approximately 50% of the cost of the plans; approximately $1700 versus $3500. I think you can anticipate $1500 to $2000 in maintenance costs that the CPO program would cover.

Other thoughts, if you are the original owner, your maintenace costs should be lower than average.

If your car is an automatic, your maintance costs may be higher. An automatic transmission will make it to 100k miles without service, but if you intend to keep the car beyond 100k miles you should service the transmission at 50k-60k miles.

Finally, CPO and extended maintenace and warranty plans have overhead costs and profit built in that guarantee that most people are better off self insuring.
    if your residual is that low, & you've had no problems with the car, then I'd buy it outright. You won't find anything you like in that low price range, + the car is still covered under the original 4 year/50K warranty for a little while longer.

Keep us posted!

you still have that E39? How many miles are on the clock now?

• Thanks for all the candid advice. I am planning to buy outright at this point pending my discussions this week with the service advisor to see where I am with major service needs.
  • kwopkwop Posts: 4
    Get a certified preowned one and extend the free maintainance to 100,000. Maintainance is paid for. I had the same car. Great. Hated to give it up when the lease ended.
  • Just passed 165k miles. Replaced the brakes and catalytic converters last winter, still on original clutch and struts/shocks.
  • z00tvz00tv Posts: 1
    I just went through this about 6 months ago when I bought out our 07 525xi - the dealer told me it is roughly $1650 to CPO the car... I have a feeling that they didn't do much of anything considering the tires were less than spec, and there was a huge crack in the window... In one way it was good as I would have had to shell out some money for new tires and to replace the window, on the other hand they really didn't do anything but give me a checklist showing they "Certified" the car, and that I have warranty to 100k miles.
  • Thanks, kwop. I am still comparing vehicles, down to an Infiniti g37 or maybe even a Bimmer 3 series (too small?) but am leaning heavily towards the 528xi.
  • Hi,
    I have a current 3 series lease with bmw which is gonna expire in Feb 2011. So I thought of using the bmw pull ahead program and return the 328i. Thought of upgrading to 5 series..drove 535i and 528i..535i is bloody good but cant afford the 8k difference and really think its not worth for the extra power which Im not gonna use anyway here. with 328i i average 1 speeding ticket every 3 months :-)
    Now when I talked to my dealer he was very quick in getting me a deal in 528i as below:-
    2011 528i jet black,ipod adapter,heated front seats and satellite. thats it, very minimum options..60 months lease at 4.9% APR monthly payment is 733 ..car cost is $43950 and he says its 500$ more than the invoice. Is it a good deal?
    I asked him if i could get felxible APR rates but for 48 and 60 they have 4.9% only. If I opt for 36 months then 0.9% is available...
    2011 535i jetblack,ipod adapter,heated front seats,satellite and navigation for $51000. It got very expensive :( and I cannot afford it monthly at $847
    My question is should i lease or buy it? IM planning to use this for more than 3 years so thought will buy this one.
    Is that 528i a good deal? Will they lower the APR%?
    Thank you so much for all the replies and please do guide me..
    Thank You !
    Andy
  • sorry..i meant 60 months finance..
  • Please help with your inputs and advice.
    2011 528i jetblack + Heated Front Seats+Satellite Radio+Ipod Adapter Dealer quote $43950 says its 500$ above invoice.
    Any idea?
    Thanks for all the replies
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Hi Tuff
    I also have a 2007 530i, bought it in 2009, the vehicle had 24K miles on it. Have Premium, sports and NAV on it. Paid $36,200. Warranty runs until June 2012. I love the vehicle. I have the Bridgestone Potenza RFT's on it. They look like the original tires to me. The only thing I have had happen to them is the first cold snap, I get the display on the iDrive that the tire pressure is low. So I take it to a tire place and they put air in and that's that. All set. The roads up here in CT are nothing to write home about either.Good luck with the car, I love mine.
  • Need advice on upcoming purchase. Here's the deal before me:

2011 528i w Premium 1, Premium 2 and Sport Pkg.

My price - $52175 less $1500

My question - How does price look? I'm located in SoCal.

Also, I have $46k in BuyBack money coming to help pay for this car. My thought is to do BMW Select at 0.9 for 36 months and pay the balloon of $30456 at the end with the money from the buyback set aside in a separate account. The net cost to me is about $9k of my money. With Select I will pay about $1200 in interest with a $743 payment versus $1578 payment at 0.9 for 3 years ant interest of about $800 doind a conventional loan.
  • Hi,
    I'm ordering a 535 with metalic paint, premium, premium 2, Drivers assistance package, side/top cameras, multi-contour seats, and the smart phone for 57,330. They tell me it's $200 above invoice. Anyone able to get better deals? I'm in socal
  • Does anyone know the total amount of the ADDITIONAL FEES that are part of the invoice price for a BMW 535i in Southern California? The invoice price (according to Edmunds) for a 535i with Premium, Premium 2, metallic paint is $53,105, plus possible additional fees for advertising. The sticker price is $57,725. I have been told by one dealer that these additional fees (are they called "Maco" fees?) total $580, but then told by another dealer that such fees total only $380. What is the correct amount?ý Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,067
    MACO and training..

Training is either $180 or $200... It's the same on every car, nationwide, I think...

MACO is a regional advertising charge... It varies... I've seen anywhere from $250-$500... but, right around $400, most often... I'd guess that the guy who says $580 is pretty much on the money.

Some BMW dealers don't pay MACO, but they are few and far between.. Maybe some places like Buffalo?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs