Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• joatmonjoatmon Posts: 315
    I wouldn't let the improved 4.4 bother me. It's currently used in the 7 series, so most bugs have been worked out. It's the rest of the car being new that would get my attention.

Jack
    The current 5 is a classic with proven reliability and performance is hard to beat. If a drive of the five gets your juices flowing, it's a no brainer. If not, the 5 still sets the standard in it's class for performance, handling and ride. Only downside to the 5 - will you like driving a non-current model come September? The Audi has a great interior and is nice overall, but it misses the target 5 series.

Happy motoring,

Jack
  • I am currently in negotiations for a 530i auto, premium package and xenon lights. I live in the LA area and have spoken to 2 different dealerships (alhambra, Glendale) and both have been frustrating. Recently, I talked to the Internet Sales manager at the Irvine dealership. This guy has been great.. very straightforward and willing to do whatever it takes to earn your business. Any thoughts on what would be a good price? I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I get some numbers from him. Thanks!
  • hoopsrefhoopsref Posts: 140
    The other thing that you might consider about the Audi is the overall reliablity of the make. If you are only keeping for 4 years, it may not be a concern, since I believe they are now offering a maintainance program like BMW's.
    The above post by the car dealer seems to be what I have been experiencing. The dealer closest to me is only willing to go to $1000 under invoice. Others about an hour or two away have given prices with $3000 BELOW invoice. This boils down to how much of the dealer incentive ($4000 on 530i's) do they need to get. The dealers farther away seem to look at this as a "found sale" and are more accomodating than those closer. Here is what I have been doing...send faxes to the gen sales mgr, fleet mgr or internet sales mgr. (most wind up giving it to a salesperson) Give him the car info you want and list out the MSRP & Invoice pricing for the car. The serious dealers will start to call, email or fax you back with offers. Good luck.
  • billfishbillfish Posts: 16
    Have either of you given consideration to the thought to holding off on a purchase of 03' 530i and waiting for 04'? I know the sales mgr isn't buying but would like his input from a client advisor postion on this if possible. Don't factor looks of 04' if you can because there are some big plus sides to the 04's..ex: cast aluminum, etc.

The reason I ask is that I have narrowed my decision down to 2 vehicles. 530i/X5 3.0(one child and one on the way brought this machine into the formula) My side of the debate is there is plenty of room in the 530i, etc, etc. Besides I am anti SUV type to boot but if I have to have one then I am sticking with BMW due to personal experience. I mean how hard could the parking lot be on one?(laughs out loud) I hope when the tests drive are done she'll like the 530i enough but you never know. I ask the age old above because if you buy a 03' now and the 04's are coming stacked up....will the 03's not drop faster in value when you factor in they are trying to move them out? I would buy the 03' but not at October 02' price. You lose a MY year without ever driving plus day one onset of depreciation? The deal has to be very right for me and 1k under invoice isn't enough considering there is good money in the trunk on these cars. Would it be wise to wait on the 04's IF you like the look well enough. I am in a quandry myself at this point. Won't go wrong with either in my opinon but could get hammered on the deal this late? Add to this the mkt last year and October is just around the corner and that has been historically rough on the economy. What hadn't. I just think there are and will be plenty of cars to go around out there? I don't monitor this as a living but it looks to be a buyers mkt and with the 04's waiting to hit the ground? Will there be incentives to buy those too?

BTW, IF it were solely up to me...I would get a 1995 525 and let the kids puke in that but the wife will be driving this one mainly. There not getting in mine. ;-)

Sorry to be so long but I think 03' vs 04' values have to be considered this late in the game.
    I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old. The wife hauls them around in an X5. She chose it over the 530i and 525iT. All 3 were great cars, but the X5 has a lot more room in the rear seat area. The cargo area is small for an SUV/SAV, but is still bigger than the trunk on my 530i.

When it's the 4 of us, 90%+ of the time we take the X5 because of the room. BTW, the X5, IMHO, has a nicer interior than the 530i. Just seems to be a notch higher. It feels more luxurious.

Happy motoring,

Jack
  • billfishbillfish Posts: 16
    Always helps when you get input from people in very similar situations.

I know we won't miss with either a 530/X5 so I will be comfortable with the decision......and besides I won't have to listen to the trunk SLAM! on the 530 if she really wanted the X5. ;-)

Thanks again for your insight.
  • kseshadrkseshadr Posts: 24
    I'm being quoted the above for 530i, auto, premium and Xenon

Or should I hold out for lower?
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    The moving truck is here to take this discussion to our new What Did You Pay? board.

If you have subscribed to this discussion, the move should not interfere with your subscriptions.

Sorry for any confusion or inconvenience! Any questions can be emailed to me.

Thanks!

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

I assume you are talking about a 2003 530i, right? Are any of you guys asking about price, reading ANY of my past posts? lol
     Bottom line...you are getting hosed, dude! I am looking at almost the same car and I have several dealers $3,000 BELOW invoice. Keep trying. Check my other "informative" posts for details...lol
    "BEEP, BEEP...Honk, Honk" (that's me tootin' my own horn)
  • The best price that I can get on a 525 or 530 is $2200 below invoice. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!
    The dealer incentives are $4000 on the 530's and $3500 on the 525's. you should be able to get it for a dealer profit of $1000, at least. Fax several dealers in a 2 hour or more radius and watch what happens.
  • The best price that I can get on a 525 or 530 is $2200 below invoice. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!
  • rho6rho6 Posts: 3
    Just bought a 530i today, sport/premium pkg/step/xenon for $45.8k out the door at downtown Los Angeles. I've also talked to alhambra, santa ana and ontario on the phone who all quote me very similar prices. You get the best deal calling the internet sales manager and mention the manufacturer's incentive($4k) on the invoice price. I walked in to alhambra a month ago only to find out their floor sales are terrible. However, their internet sales quotes me this amazing price on the phone. I ended up at downtown because they have the exact color/option match in the lot.
    I finally did it folks! I got a 530iA, Blue Water / Black leather, SP, CWP. MSRP $48,640, Dealer invoice $43,775 (including MACO ($350) & Training fees ($160), Bought for $40,575 (plus tax,tags...)in Boston. Dealer even matched my 3.79% pre-approved rate I had through AAA. I went with the sport pkg at the last minute. After looking at those wheels & tires, I decided to see if the ride & seats would be comfortable enough... Though it was only a short drive in the city, I got the idea. Later, on the ride and on back roads I really appreciated the "sport car" feel it has. Thanks to of my fellow posters for the valuable input and information you provided me over this long process. The people at work will be even more relieved than I am, that I have a BMW and won't be talking about getting one.
  • leslieh1leslieh1 Posts: 14
    Help - I am interested in a 530i, premium, automatic, winter package, xenon headlights and heated steering wheel (the one on the lot has it). What would be a good price on that, exclusive of taxes, tags, etc. Thank you all so much.
    If you go to the Edmunds pricing pages, you can get an "idea" of the invoice. I came up with an invoice of @ $42,350. Now, with the options you want on your car, it may make it a little more difficult. If you want the best price you will need to do a little work, but it is actually fun and WILL get you a great price. You also want to be flexible in the distance you want to travel. Driving an extra an hour, could save you $2,000 for example. Go to the BMW website and get the phone numbers to the 15 or 20 dealers closest to you. Get the name (and thier private fax) of the sales or fleet manager or internet sales person. Fax them the info on the car with priciing you know. AND let them know you know that they are getting an additional $4,000 dealer incentive from the factory. They will not volunteer this info. Sit back and the fax, phone and email will stop to hop. You can probably get this car for $3000 BELOW invoice! I did it, I know it works. This is a method you can get from fightingchance.com with even more details. It only costs @ $30 and it saved me $4000 or more. I was looking at a 3 series originally but got the 5 for about the same price. Good luck.
  • msuh24msuh24 Posts: 3
    its at a bmw dealer in mountain view, ca. steptronic, xenon, rear fold down, and premium package. titanium silver on grey leather. should i hold out for a deeper discount? in the bay area, did anyone get it for cheaper? thanks.
  • leslieh1leslieh1 Posts: 14
    The invoice that I came up with was about $42,000, maybe 3-4 hundred over, for everything in the car, so your point is that if pay $40,000, then I am paying about $1,000 too much, as I should be paying only about $39,000, as they are getting $4,000 back? Thanks, again!!