Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• smithsongasmithsonga Posts: 123
    I own two 5 series at this point (dont ask...one lease is up in 4 months and I will get something else). Zero major problems...very happy with both. Love these cars!
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Guys,
    I'm on my 3rd CPO BMW. I have now a 2007 530i in Alpine Wht and I love the vehicle. I get compliments and oohs and aahs all the time, even by people on the road stopped next to me at a red light! Think about it, essentially BMW is giving you a 6 year warranty on the car. The first 4 original, and they ADD 2 years for the CPO.
    What manufacturer would take a chance on a vehicle by warrantying parts and labor for 6 years, can you name me any? If the car wasn't solid, they'd been out of business a long time ago.
    Plus, I get good mileage on this car, I can't believe I'm getting avg 20mpg city driving, and much higher when I drive highway. mY former 328i (1996) was giving me about 19mpg city, and also much better highway, but this car is heavier and bigger. I'm out there every Saturday obsessing over it, washing, doing the windows, etc.............just love the car.

Hey I never got an answer: can I go into a car wash with the engine running? will it self-lock during the wash and I won't be able to get back in? I think if the key is in the ignition, two pulls on the handle opens it, but please someone tell me. Thanks.
    Can't get it str8 from the manual.

Gardis in CT
  • asterix4asterix4 Posts: 13
    After looking for a few months, I finally bought a 2008 528i CPO with 9K miles for 33600 plus tax & license. (plus new carpet mats & all weather mats). I test drove a new Lexus ES350, Acura TL, & Volvo S80, nothing came even remotely close to BMW's driving experience.

I also bought the 2 year maintenance for 2195$ and got 2.9% financing. Is this a good deal ?

I'm a first time BMW owner. Can someone advise about any internet sites regarding tips for good driving techniques & maintenance for a 528i. Thanks a lot for all your help.
    Wow asterix, that sounds like a great deal! most 2008's are up there in the top $30K range with that low level of mileage. I suspect it's not loaded with many pkgs, though right? You should have until 2013 on the CPO warranty on that car.
    Thanks Gardis. It is a base 528i with Navigation.

I paid 2195$ for the extended maintenance pkg, did I overpay ? Please comment. The dealer started from 2,999 and won't budge below 2195$.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Posts: 123
    unfortunately, yes, you overpaid on the maintenance plan. You can go to forums like e60forum or bimmerfest and find dealers willing to sell for about $1800.

I believe $1600 is the cost, but that is by memory.

Congrats on the car. I didnt even pay $1800 for my CPO 550i as I couldnt add up the costs to get that high. Basically, brakes would have to be over the top.
  • Hi asterix4,

First of all Congrats for your new BMW! It is an amazing experience to own and drive one....

FYI, I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a 2007 525i 41K miles w/ Prmm and Cold Packages w/ Xenon Adaptive lights for $29,500. I paid another $250 for windows tinting and this past weekend, I bought the entended maintenance plan for $1895 from the same BMW Store in Cincinnati. The finance guy had quoted me $2300 initially when I was buying the car but before I got up he mentioned $1895 which would be cost-to-cost. He must still be making some money on it but not a lot. I had checked the pricing with some other BMW dealers around here and their price was between $2200-2300. The price goes up by $200-400 every year. It just went up on July 1st. So, yes you did pay a little bit more for the extended warranty.... but it all evens out... we pay more for something and less for other things... Be Happy and Enjoy the Car!!! :)
    Thank you Sandeepg, Gardis and others for your wishes and replies. I'm fine with a little overpayment on the mtce pkg. It was bundled in the 2.9% financing. Slightly different concern -

I love the car so far. I've driven it for last two days. I'm going through what I could best describe as buyer's remorse at this time . I'm a long time Toyota owner. Cost of maintenance and overall reliability are extremely important to me. Other cars I was considering buying were Acura TL (tech) or ES350.

The more I read this and other forums, I realize that 5 series maintenance could be pretty darn costly. I'm glad that I bought the extended maintenance pkg. So, my original warranty & maintenance are good till Sep 2012 and then I've two additional years of CPO warranty & maintenance.

I'll continue to follow this forum for tips/advice on how to maintain my new 5-series.
    Asterix, you are comparing apples to oranges. Are you really comparing a 5 series BMW, one of the highest rated cars in the world, with a Toyota? Now, I love a Toyota, it's a fabulous car. If you wanted to compare it to a Lexus, that would be OK. Also, Toyota requires maintenance.

Also, have you ever wondered why Lexus service operates late hours? If you have a Lexus, you can bring it for service in the middle of the night practically. WHY would they need to keep their service center's open so late if the cars didn't need servicing? My neighbor brings his car like 10PM or 11PM (he had an appt at that time).
    They are clearly a top rated vehicle also, but Lexus also requires servicing. ALL these high end cars require servicing. It goes with the territory.
  • I'm curious about any advice you may have on negotiating a 2009 528 x. I see a $5000 marketing support as well as 2.9% financing on the incentives section. One of the dealers near me has a basic model with a $48,500 list price. I'm assuming the dealer gets the 5k in support regardless of whether or not I take the financing deal. Is the appropriate target $43,500 plus 2.9%?
    Thanks
  • kevin530kevin530 Posts: 25
    I actually think the Lexus extended hours are more about customer service than reliability, Gardis. Let's not forget that, during the 70s and 80s, the Japanese beat the USA senseless with customer service (and reliability) for almost every product manufactured. That ethic has only continued over the years. Extended hours is something that BMW and Mercedes could learn a lesson about - how much would I like to have the option of Saturday auto service!!!
    As for other posts about prices and costs of extended maintenance, I have come to believe that we all overpay for our BMWs, in one way or another. It is an emotional decision, ultimately, and there is no way we win in that situation.
  • vchadvchad Posts: 97
    with the 10' models on the lot, you should easily get 9500 off.

Id personally go for 10,500 off. They have a 5k rebate to work with, so taking 5k off a aged car, is least they could do. I was offered 9500, once I called my dealer out on the rebate, he went from 4k off to 9500 in 10mins, when he knew I wasn't stupid.

Be stern, dont feel like your offending them, or being rude. Stick with the price you want to pay, and if they wont agree, WALK AWAY...i'll bet ya 99% of time, they'll call ya back in within 2days.
  • bdbdbdbd Posts: 2
    Hi asterix4,

Do you mind sharing the dealership information? I'm also looking to buy a 08 5 series, and your purchase price seems to fit my buget. But all the dealers in DC area seem to ask for a much higher price. Did you negotiate hard to get 33600?
    Thanks a lot.
    bdbd - I bought it from BMW of Monrovia. I did not negotiate hard. I could have knocked off may be hundred or so dollars more.
    I just looked at the dealer's 5 series for 2010 (computer generated) and I cannot tell the difference if there is any with the previous models. Certainly, it doesn't look like they made major changes.
  • dnagsdnags Posts: 2
    I owned a 1993 525 that I bought new and had for 10 years and 212000 miles. I loved that car, but I replaced it with an Infiniti g35, which is just not the same. I want to get another 5 series, so I started looking a late model, low mileage dealer loaners. They are asking between 37,000 and 42,000 for 2009's with about 6,000 miles on them. I have no idea what they would take, though. However, with the manufacturer/dealer 5k incentive, and the 2.9 pricing on new 2009's, don't you think I can do almost as well on a new one? I could probably buy a new one for 2 to 3k under invoice. Does anyone out there have any experience with this or an opinion? thanks.
  • bdbdbdbd Posts: 2
    Hi,
    This is the first time for me to buy a bmw. I'm looking at a 08 535i with prem, cold weather packages, and only 6 miles. The dealer's list price is 43k. How much room do I have for negotiation? The dealer said it's a used car (moved from new inventory to used inventory in 3/09, so the original warranty starts in 3/09). Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • kevin530kevin530 Posts: 25
    I would be prepared to play hardball and be prepared to walk away. I think that is the key. I had a 535 as a loaner and loved it, but I am concerned about the fuel pump problems BMW has had with this model and that the company now is extending the warranty on this for 120,000K. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I think this issue affects resale and perception.

Gardis, where did you see dealer renderings of the 2010 model?
  • gregoryxgregoryx Posts: 44
    you say that they're extending warranty for the 08 535 to 120k? is that just for the fuel pump?
  • sri3sri3 Posts: 4
    I am in the same boat. I am in Arkansas, and here, prices are higher for a similar 535i. May I know what state and which dealer, and what kind of mileage on the car approximately.
    Thanks!