Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• saugataksaugatak Posts: 488
    That was a great post. Please do us all a favor and pick that salesman's brains.
  • karmikankarmikan Posts: 116
    Was that "bmwseller" you were talking with? :)
    "Was that "bmwseller" you were talking with? :)"

LOL. That would be blasphemous for "bmwseller" or "bmwife".

I never figured out if they're the same person.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    I actually miss him... brings out the best in all of us... posts come out of the woodwork. Where is he anyway... banished to the Gulag Archipelago?
  • This car is a bonafide problem. For US customers, BMW is substituting cheap plastic parts for more expensive ones, and NOT DISCLOSING this to their customers. You may wait months for your car, and when it arrives with different color, trim, and options, you will have to take it or take a walk. Customer service is all but gone at BMW, and they will NOT assist in rectifying any such issues.

Now reports are coming in regarding failures of the active steering mechanism and on-board electronics. Dearlerships know precious little about this car let alone how to fix it. Expect to have your own chair at the local BMW service shop.

And to think, you get this all for more than $60,000.00 . What has happened to BMW ? This is inexcusable. Stay away from this car. If I could dump mine without taking a big financial hit, I would do so in a second.
    Schnell, you've made the same allegation on a bunch of BMW boards but haven't provided any links or detailed personal accounts. Please back up your charges.
  • mlock6mlock6 Posts: 22
    Received delivery on my 530i. It's a great handling and good looking car. This car looks great in Titanium Grey. I've seen the car in blue, black and silver and it doesn't bring out the new positive styling features. By the way, I got a good deal($1500off). The BMW staff at VOB in Maryland did a very good job from start to finish. They were very professional and knowledgeable.
  • Please keep us informed about your ownership experience.
  • choidschoids Posts: 16
    I just ordered Black Sapphire 2004 545i with no option for $500 under the MSRP in Southern California area. This was the best deal I could get. Everybody else inisted on MSRP. It should arrive on the last week of January. Oh, one thing, just found out that BMW will increase the MSRP by another $700 on 545i effective as of Jan 1, 2004 as the introductory rate expires.
  • Has anyone else heard of a price increase on the 545 as of 1/1/04. I'm in the final stages of negotiating their "best" price on a 545 right now and my salesman hasn't used the "better get it before the price increase" pitch - at least not yet!
    The price increase is a fact. The saleswoman showed me a copy of memo issued by BMW which lists new price. The increase affects all line ups but I only cared to look for 545i price since that's the one I was ordering. Even mine, the lady couldn't guarantee I will get the introductory rate since the car will be arriving in US in January 04 although I ordered prior to Jan 1.. But, she said, if my car reflects new price, she will take additional $200 off the MSRP. Big help... lol.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Recent (latest?) issue of Roundel (BMW CCA) magazine had a small article discussing the general price increases with all E60. The 530i went up the most. Thinking around 7.2%. Thinking the 545i and 525i both under 4%. And the price of the Sport Pkg ballooned. C&D's recent test had their loaded 530i 6-speed manual Sport Pkg car with a $56,000 MSRP! That bumps up near 545i6 range.

Think BMW realized the price of 530i too close to 525i. Making it farther apart like with 330i and 325i price difference.
    According to memo issued by BMW, it specifically mentions that the option price will remain the same. The increase only affects the base price of the car. The rational behind the price increase was the general consensus that the economy will be better next year.
    Vee vill design das ugly cars unt you vill like zem.
    Vee vill increase sah price unt you vill pay!
    Vee are superior UNT VEE VILL VIN!!!!!!!!
    "Vee vill design das ugly cars unt you vill like zem.
    Vee vill increase sah price unt you vill pay!
    Vee are superior UNT VEE VILL VIN!!!!!!!!"

ROFLMAO!

This is the capitalist system. If BMW can charge more for the car and still sell every car they make, they should.

BTW designman, where's the followup to your conversation with the BMW salesman?
    Don't forget that BMW is getting pounded by the rapid and large rise in the value of the Euro against the dollar. BMW does its accounting in Euros. Even with derivatives, etc., the over 40% rise in the Euro over the past couple years is hitting the bottom line. Easiest way to offset is to raise dollar prices.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    true, the euro has really jumped since its bottom in late 2000. however, it's latest jump still only brings it back to late 90's levels.

http://finance.yahoo.com/m5?s=EUR&t=USD&a=1&c=3

I don't remember BMW cutting its prices when the euro lost 40% of its value from 1996 to 2000. (The Euro wasn't in existence then, its value above is a calculated composite.) But then again, many other factors come to play in the pricing of import cars.
    saugatak, thanks for your compliment on my post #670. However, even though I would like to, I don't feel obliged to follow it up. Neither do I believe there is any obligation on the part of herr schnell. According to his post #675, he has an E60 and doesn't like it for reasons cited. Due to his repetitive posts, he appears pretty torqued off at BMW after putting up an ante which is close to $60K. Surely this is something E60 naysayers can relate to. Does he have an ulterior motive, a hidden agenda, is he telling the truth? Who cares.

I appreciate your apparent thirst for black and white facts, but this is a casual chat forum that does not require journalistic acumen. Sometimes we are presented with facts, other times it's just hearsay. Sometimes the hearsay has veracity, other times not. In the end it's not that important.

What IS important is that anyone who is interested in E60 or any car does his legwork to get to the bottom of any potential issues, then spends his hard-earned bucks as he sees fit. It took me a year to make a buying decision on my E39. I've said this before... patience. The truth about E60 is almost at hand and will come out in the wash. For those who wish to buy it now, well, that's there business and I do indeed respect their prerogative. Hopefully they will not be disappointed. As a matter of fact, this place will be turned over to lots of E60 buyers in the upcoming months and I'm looking forward to reading their comments, both positive and negative.

Enjoy the ride, and have a laugh along the way. Saugatak... you VILL laugh!

;-)
    there's no obligation to follow up, was just hoping that if you did follow up you'd update us all.

with regard to herr schnell, i don't know all his circumstances but if i were to make a post trashing the car, i'd provide some more detail or backup so that it didn't look like a rant.

if schnell did spend $60k of his hard earned money and got a lemon, i feel truly sorry for him.
    jrock65... Before the Euro, BMW did its corporate accounting in D-mark. Historically, changes in value of D-mark vs. the dollar had a big impact on BMW's prices and profits. Remember the huge rise in the D-mark in the mid-to-late 1980s? BMW was forced to raise prices in USA signficantly to offset. Hit MB and VW/Audi. Before that, long-term rise in D-mark was also a big reason GM stopped importing Opels into USA in 1970s and why Ford gave up importing Ford of Europe products in USA (remember the 1970s Capri? D-mark caused 1980s Merkur to be so expensive, derailing that attempted new marque).

When the Euro fell after its introduction, BMW made more money in USA. They could've held line on dollar prices or actually lowered them, if they had wanted to gain market share. But BMW needed to recover after the $B-Rover debacle as well as to fund all the new generation vehicles.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Posts: 201
    When the Euro was falling against the USD, we were during the boom period where people could not get enough of the BMWs. Also note that BMW introduced the 4 year zero maintenance program during this period, which may have been subsidized by the falling Euro..

Finally, I am not sure how many new buyers/market share could be gained by reducing the price. On the contrary reduction in price of new cars might dampen for market for pre-owned cars, resulting in lower residuals and perhaps more expensive leases. As a luxury brand, BMW also would not like to cheapen its brand equity by making significant reductions in price. People putting down 40-50K are not particularly price sensitive about a few percentage point moves here and there.

Now that the Euro is rising fast, they do not have a choice but to raise prices in the USA.
    vsaxena... You can do both a static and dynamic analysis of price decreases. From a static viewpoint, if nothing but the price of BMWs changes (i.e., there is no change in perceived quality, competitors don't lower their prices, etc.), BMW would gain sales by lowering prices. Basic law of supply and demand. The quantity demanded rises when the price per unit falls.

Of course, we can't do a static analysis. BMW is not a monopolist. They are a small player. The worldwide auto industry and the USA auto industry is an oligopolistic environment. High costs of entry, long lead terms for new designs/plants, etc. limit the number of new automakers. In oligopoly, effect of price decrease on market share will be impacted by the response of competitors. If it leads to a price war (i.e., competitors lower their prices), overall sales rise but profit per unit declines due to the reduced price (unless offset by declines in per unit manufacturing costs as output rises, due to variable costs, allocation of fixed costs, and productivity/learning curves).

MB is experiencing changes in value perception. And changes in actual and perceived quality & reliability. They have moved into lower segments (C-class coupe) and now are trying to move Chrysler into higher segments (e.g., Crossfire). BMW wants to learn from them. Will be interesting to see with future 1 Series.

But the Koreans are living proof that low prices can bring in buyers. Then the key is to build good cars.
  • Just put in an order for a 2004 5er, and I'm getting a pretty good deal since I currently live in Germany and qualify for a "discount." Ended up paying ~invoice for the base price and full price for the options. (US specs...)
    Saved almost $5k on the car, and about $2k on taxes. So... That pays for the premium package, sports package, and a couple other options.
    I won't take delivery until April, however. Four months of envy...
  • am in military overseas. understand that if i purchase bmw prior to transfering back to california, i don't have to pay sales tax. does anyone know type of paperwork and records required to make this happen.
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    It depends on the state! I purchased a 5 series in Belgium and brought it back to AZ. The state does not charge sales tax for military. I had to show them all the paper work showing that the car had come from overseas. The post provided the tax-free documents. I know that some states will charge you sales tax on these cars, beware!

As for the overseas price, you can negotiate if you are a well informed buyer. I told the dealer in Belgium that I was going to a dealer in Germany to purchase a 5 series demo, so to make the sell, he sold me a new BMW at the demo price (6% off) the military price. Additionally, sometimes there are cars placed on order, but for numerous reasons the person who orderd it is unable to pay for the car and lose their deposit, you can sometimes get a discount on these vehicles.

The key is not to waste the dealership's time, walk-in make your proposal, leave your telephone number and walk away. If they want to sell a car they will call. If not, you can always pay the full price!
  • I know that there are not dealer holdbacks on BMW's but I did read on one of these message boards that BMWNA makes a percentage payment to the dealer on every car sold. As I understand it this percentage is based on the dealer's customer and quality ratings. Does anyone know what these percentages are or where I can find out? Thanks
  • Was advised by two dealers I'm negotiating with that there is a price increase of $500 on all cars delivered after Jan 1. Of course, it can be negotiated.

FWIW, I'm currently working $2.2K off MSRP (without playing hardball yet) on a 525 with auto, premium and cold weather. The two items lead me to think theres lots of pressure to get 5-series cars off the lot before BMW's fiscal year end. Also getting forgiveness on a payment or two on my old car if I do a deal before yearend.

So, if you can get past your feelings about the design, there's deals to be made out there. Note in fairness that I'm in the NY metro area and there are lots of dealers to dicker with.

Good haggling, all--
    Hey Bentleyfam25, I am surprised you were able to get $2K off the MSRP price. What I heard from the dealers is that there is a national agreement among BMW dealers that no less than MSRP for 12 months. That's why I was happy to order my 545i at $500 off the MSRP, but obviously I feel ill after $2K discount you are getting.
  • joatmonjoatmon Posts: 315
    You say, "What I heard from the dealers is that there is a national agreement among BMW dealers that no less than MSRP for 12 months. That's why I was happy to order my 545i at $500 off the MSRP".

1 of 3 things here:

1. Story not true (and I'm assuming it is true),
    2. Dealer lied about "agreement", or
    3. Dealer violated "agreement".

Why would you believe this dealer?

Happy is not how I would feel after this conversation.
  • To be fair, each car has its own demand. There may be a lot less 545's in the market to dicker for than 525's (545's are less of a mass market sale, I'm sure).

Also, if you're in an area where there's not many BMW dealers, its very hard to bargain. In NJ/NY, I can count 5 within an hour's drive. If I'm courteous, patient and persistent, it pays off to move from one to the next and get them bargaining with each other. Right now is very good time to bargain, because of the number of 525's out there and the need for BMW (and its reps) to make reasonable numbers by the end of the year.

I've heard nothing about a national agreement, and there's absolutely no indication of it as I move among dealers. I hope your experience helps someone else who is told this to push back, and complain to a manager, if a rep tries to neogtiate with it.

Good luck--