Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• petppetp Member Posts: 43
    $402?????

are u using a residual of 62% and a MF of .00125 (3%)???? i beleive those are the rates right now.

wow...i havent asked the dealer exactly what lease rates he is using though.
    also, does $43.5K seem like a good price? how much lower do u think it can go given the new models rolling in?

thanks very much!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Yes.. those are the correct numbers.. Remember, you have to add tax on that.. I think NY tax is 8.75%, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah... the selling price is great.. probably as low as you can go... All of the incentives are in the lease numbers..

Which might be why your dealer is marking them up.. he didn't leave himself much profit on the selling price...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thank you very much kyfdx, youve been an emormous help!
  • kragsackragsac Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have test drove the 525 eh ok. I then drove the 540I "impressive", and then drove the 530I. Liked the car, but it had the foul coolant smell like it had been burnt, dripped on something hot, etc. the dealer said he would fix it etc. etc.
    have any of you had similar scents from your B's?
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    "have any of you had similar scents from your B's?"

Not at all. Clutch problems?

Regards,

José
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Since this is the pricing discussion, you're better off asking other owners in one of our regular 5-series discussions instead. You can locate them using the search tools at the left. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• motowneermotowneer Member Posts: 25
    Considering the dealer only has 9 to 10 per cent in profit, 8 per cent is legal larceny, anyway.
  • iceman2iceman2 Member Posts: 23
    I'm ready to purchase a 545 (have a 530 on order as backup plan)... seems as inventory is extremely low unless you want the mint green metallic or white colors....anyone else experiencing the same issues? Dealer of course says these are "flying off the lot", but i still wonder if their sales are down so they're keeping lower levels of inventory....

Any thoughts?
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I was generously offered A MF of .0016 (added the max .004 in)And a whopping $1300 discount.This all on a 184 model thats being replaced.Is it possible to lease a vehicle from a State other than your state of residency ? No deals to be had here....

Thanks,
    DL
  • cpeterson3cpeterson3 Member Posts: 51
    KYFDX or another expert – please help. I would like to lease either a 525 or 530 with my only absolute being leather but I guess I need a base-line understanding of current offerings and here is my list of questions I would like help on:

1) considering the lease “special” on BWC.com – can a dealer do better than this and how can I achieve that?

2) The lease special seems to focus on the 525i but does list pricing for a 530. Are there incentives as well on the 530? Or is the best “deal” on the 525?

3) could leasing a demo help in achieving lower pricing?

I live in the NorthEast and there are dozens of dealers to choose from – any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    1.) yes, everything is negotiable of course.

2.) 530 is about $50/per month more than a 525

3.) of course...i have even seen '04 demos/dealer cars priced at around $38K. '05's though are generally more reliable and they have minor interior upgrades.

some hints from someone who is also shopping right now....

always deal from invoice price, up...never from MSRP, down. for example...MSRP is around 47K, invoice is 42K for an e60 that i want. i walked into a dealer and they gave me a price of $46K...not very good imho considering the new engines are coming out in less than 2 months. so i sent out some emails (a VERY efficient and hassle free way to do business...i love it) to a few dealers, got some replies and prices. best price so far has been 43.5K...a nice price if you ask me. around $1000 over invoice is considered a good deal. another dealer also mentioned he would beat any price i got by $500 if i have it in writing.

now since youre gonna lease i would suggest you brush up on your lease terms. a dealer can give you a great price on the car and then go and mark-up the lease terms. soooo...research your lease rates. the current bmw lease rates are VERY attractive...36mo/12K miles is currently at 62% residual with a money factor of 3%.

also, keep in mind there are new engines coming out for the e60. so the longer u wait, the better deal you will probably get as dealers will be desperate to get rid of inventory...but your selections might also become limited.
    good luck. ive found this (and some other forums out there) to be a TREMENDOUS help and very informative.
    1) The advertised lease is $449/mo with $3399 due at signing.. includes $2500 down plus 1st payment and security deposit.. MSRP of $43,270.

2) MF is .00125 and the residual for the 3yr/30K lease is 63%...The acquisition fee of $625 is rolled into the cap cost.

3) This lease assumes a selling price of $42,270.. that is only $1000 off of MSRP..

Given all of that, I would assume you could do at least $1000 better than the advertised lease..

The advertised lease, with nothing upfront but 1st pymt and security deposit would be $522/mo + tax.. Take another $1000 off the selling price and the payment would drop to $493/mo.+ tax.

The 530i, with just the automatic as an option, has an MSRP of exactly $4100 more..

That model, using the same lease assumptions as advertised, would be $499/mo + tax.. With no downpayment, $572/mo. + tax.. With another $1000 off the MSRP, $543/mo. + tax...

Add $13/mo for 12K/yr.. Add $38/mo for 15K/yr.

Add $13/mo. for every $1K of MSRP, if looking at more expensive models..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

KYFDX;
    what mo pmt would i be looking at using 3% MF and 62% residual after 3 yrs/36K miles on a selling price of 43500? assuming zero down except the fees of $1900.

(just want to make sure im doing the math right)

thanks very much
    What MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

$47K
    does that matter on a lease? i thought the payments were based on the negotiated price.
    The residual is based on the MSRP... Your negotiated price makes a difference in your payment, but you need the MSRP to make the calculation...

Is that the exact MSRP? $300 off could change the payment by $5/mo..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

47250 to be exact

thanks again!!!!
    MSRP $47,250
    Selling price $43,500
    3yr/36K
    Residual 62%
    MF .00125
    Payment $486/mo.+ tax
    Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit, $625 acq.fee..

If you roll the acquisition fee into the payment, it changes the payment to $504/mo.+tax.

That is a pretty aggressive selling price.. If you can get that, with the base rates, you have one heck of a deal...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm getting there but a few more questions please.

I am focusing in on the 530. I would like leather but the Steptronic is not important.

1) from experience, what pricing gains may occur on current '05 stock as we approach the receipt of the new car/engines? Is it just that the dealers may move a little on the MSRP discounting or do you think BMW may help more with the lease i.e. MF or dealer cash?

2) Assuming the program numbers of the .00125 MF, the 63% resd. and the monies down, what number do you think is possible for a negotiated selling price?

MSRP $45,410 versus the Invoice of $41,495

I'll just assume the full $1,800 of the Premium pack.

Basically, could you please run me the lease program based upon what you think is an achievable selling price of the 530 with Premium?

I sincerlye appreciate your time... and can you sell me the car?

thanks!!
    thanks vm kyfdx.
    those are the numbers im getting...but the dealer is telling that (490/mo) is the price with $3K cap cost reduction plus 1900 for fees (total $4900 due at signing). and he is saying he's using 62% residual with a MF on 3%.

im gonna visit him this weekend to doubecheck everything.

once again, thanks very much
    the hard part might be finding the car with just premium package. if you find a cooperative dealer im sure they can locate a car with just that.
    as for pricing....$1K over INVOICE is the norm i find right now. if u look at my deal (above), ive gotten a quote of $700 over invoice....with practically no negotiating. so figure your car will be $42500 or lower.
    good luck!
    Well... my price didn't include tax..

But, your dealer is $3000 off...

What is he doing?

1) At 8%, tax could come to around $1400..

2) He is probably marking up the money factor.. Get away from quoting it as 3%.. the money factor is .00125.. Ask him if that is the rate he is using.. My guess is..he is marking it up to .00165.. the maximum.. That would cost you another $1000.

3) He is probably marking up the acquisition fee to $825.. that will cost you another extra $200..

Those three things together could account for $2600 of the $3000 difference... If he is doing all of those things, then he could surely come up with $400 more of BS fees...

The only legitimate increase in there, would be sales tax..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

1) There may be some cash incentives coming later, but then the lease incentives would probably go away.. If you want to lease, I wouldn't bet on the deals getting any better than they are right now.. If you are buying, I would certainly wait...

2) Look at the original deal I worked up for petp... The MSRP of a 530i with just premium package is $47,900.. So, add about $10/mo. to that deal, and that would be a great price.. That would be for 3yr/36K.. If you want 3yr/30K, then the deal would be the same as his.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

We're almost ther - I promise

Reviewing the work-up for petp, help me understand the $0 down factor. My interpretation of this has always been that you roll the mandatory down payment (in the case of the program offer $2,500) into your monthly payment - is that what you do? or are you actually negotiating away the down payment?

thanks again
    thanks KYFDX
    im paying him a visit this weekend to see what numbers he's using.

it should be 62% residual, .00125 MF, 36 mo/12mi per yr.

i believe the fees due at signing should be $1900....which is 1st month+bank fee+acquisition fee?
    Just rolling it into the payment... it isn't mandatory.. they structure it that way to make the payment look lower..

But, if you are going off the advertised deal, it only assumes a $1000 discount from MSRP on the selling price. petp's deal assumes a much larger discount.. $3750 from MSRP...

Can you get that big of a discount? I'm not sure.. if you are following the other posts, you'll see that despite that low selling price, his dealer is still $3000 higher than what that price would indicate..

So to sum up... You don't have to make any downpayment on a lease... In fact, I don't recommend it..

Dealers like you to make a downpayment, because it makes the lease appear cheaper, because of the lower payment..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

'05 530i
    3yr/36K lease
    Upfront 1st pymt, security deposit, title/license fees only..

Monthly payment of $11.38 per every thousand of MSRP.. plus tax..

This is a just a reasonable deal.. and should be the maximum you would pay..

Example:
    MSRP $50,000
    50 X $11.38 = $569/mo. + tax..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• juju1911juju1911 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy a 2005 530 with prem sound, prem package, satellite radio and auto trans. I'm in Houston and I plan to lease likely 3/45K (50+ mile daily commute). Based on rsearch it appears that invoice with options should be $47,300. Plan to start dealing with dealers next week. What should I expect to pay for the car?
  • sam2005sam2005 Member Posts: 2
    You know I have been browsing these boards for a while....since I am in the business. Let me ask you a simple question: Do any of you like to work for free? Dont you think the people selling these cars....which I think are the best drivers cars hands down should be able to earn a living? I deal with people all the time who just want more and more. Telling me "the dealership is still making money" Sure they are but what about the Client Advisor? As a consumer myself I like to get the best deal.....but at the same time I can realize if I am getting value for my money. If you think $4k off MSRP for a BMW is not a great value then there are plenty mediocre cars out there for you too choose from....By the way $56970 is STRAIGHT Invoice on that 2004 545i. Since it was my deal.
  • richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    sam2005,

I'm in the sales biz and I constantly deal with shoppers and people who are always looking to get a cheaper, better deal at my personal expense, but that is the nature of sales, ESPECIALLY auto sales.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a car salesmen, ehum, 'client advisor' making a buck, but if there's a way that I can get a great car as close to invoice as possible, why wouldn't I pursue it? My dollars are just as hard-earned as his.

Hey sam, when was the last time you or one of your fellow salesmen cut a commission on a sold deal because you or they felt that a fair profit had already been made??? I'll tell you when: NEVER. Just as you try to sell as many bimmers for as much profit as possible, the consumers will (if they're smart) try to buy them for as little as possible. It's the nature of the beast.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    A few months ago I contacted the internet department of a BMW dealership asking for his best lease breakdown on a $54,000 vehicle. This salesperson had the capitalized cost at MSRP with the money factor inflated to the max.
    When I e-mailed back and showed fluent technical knowledge of leasing and what other people were receiving for the same lease, the salesperson came back with "this was only an introductory quote." So if I decided to close on this introductory quote, the salesperson would have stopped me saying, "No! Don't sign! I can do much better. This was just an introductory quote!" Yeah, and chickens have lips!
    You're in the wrong place looking for sympathy on these boards.
    Sorry to do this , but to be exact one more time.Going to be my final Offer.

525i $41,300
    auto $1275.00
    satellite prep.$75.00
    freight $695.00
    Msrp $43,345.00
    price $40,740.00
    MF .00125 62% residual

36/12k miles
    not including tax, what would the payment be please ?

Thanks,
    DL
    I added the $625 acquisition fee into the cap cost, resulting in cap of $41,365.

$488/mo.+ tax

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks so much. They responde that they provide a good up front price to prevent haggling. They claim invoice is actaully $39990.00 and want $41,490.00 PLUS the .00165. I guess they think some sap will go for it.

You know what my answer was...

Thanks,
    DL
    Well.. If they have MACO (regional advertising charge), then their invoice probably is about $39,990...

So, I could live with the $41,490... if I were getting the base rates... Bumping the rates the maximum adds about $1000 to the price.. That puts it way too high...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hey KYFDX:
    On a 2005 545, 36,000 miles, 36 months:
    MSRP $58745
    Invoice $53,700
    Paid $55,200
    S0: 55.2x11.38=$628.17 pre-tax
    This would be the upper limit of a good leasing deal?
    Thank you.
    hpowders
    That was on a 530i.. Let me work up some numbers..

Also, my rule of thumb on the 530i was multiplying that number by the MSRP, not the selling price... So, actually, the deals might be a little better on the 545i, relative to MSRP.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Using your numbers, and the BMWFS residual of 61% and base rate of .0010, I get a payment of $629/mo.+ tax..

Weird, huh?

The higher the price of the car, the more you probably have to pay over invoice.. While the dealer might readily take a $1500 over invoice deal on a $40K car, they might want more on a $60K car...

I'm not sure what the market is for the 545i, but those figures would constitute a pretty good deal, I think..

You'd have 1st pymt, security, and acq.fee due at signing...

Not knowing the market, I wouldn't necessarily say that is the MAXIMUM I would pay on this deal... But, I would definitely take it..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It is pretty unbelievable. Less than $650 per month pre-tax.
    You know, I leased a 325 in 2002 for $465 pre-tax back when BMW could command a rather high premium.
    Back then, I probably would have projected that a 545 in 2005 would lease for at least $800 per month pre-tax.
    Critical mistakes can create buying opportunities.
    Thank you very much!
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • pjtpjt Member Posts: 36
    [I just bought an '02 530 5 spd w/sp, pp, and some cw options, and it was 32,950 before taxes and fees.]

Did you purchase a CPO car from a BMW Center, or was it a private-party sale? Also, how many miles were on the car? Thanks. pjt
  • bscuorzobscuorzo Member Posts: 1
    I have just decided to get a BMW over an A6 but I am trying to decide whether to lease or purchase. I have negotiated a 2005 530 to 51,000 and a 545 to 55,000 (not sure which car yet). What should my lease payments be if i did a 3 year 25K per year lease? Would I be better financing over 5 years? I am not going to put any money down. Also, has anyone heard of a $250 advertising fee per vehicle? I live in New Jersey. I am really having a hard ime with this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The maximum yearly mileage allowed in a lease is usually 15k. Doing 25k or more per year would indicate it would be cheaper to buy the vehicle rather than lease it. A 15 cents per mile penalty over the allowed maximum of 45k/3 years would add $4500 to the cost of your lease when you return the vehicle.
    My BMW lease has a 20 cents per mile overage penalty. This would put your penalty at a whopping $6000 when you return your leased vehicle.
    Leasing is really only good for people who don't drive over 15k/year.
  • juju1911juju1911 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy a 2005 530 with prem sound, prem package, satellite radio and auto trans. I'm in Houston and I plan to lease likely 3/45K (50+ mile daily commute). Based on rsearch it appears that invoice with options should be $47,300. Plan to start dealing with dealers next week. What should I expect to pay for the car?
    Man, $70 bucks more for a 545i that I was offered for BASE 525i,Ive really got to move...

DL
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    It was CPO from a dealer who sells only used--excuse me, pre-owned--BMWs. There was no haggling. I bought it with 45,250 miles. By the time I got through with the add-ons (taxes and one dealer fee), including a 7 year 125,000 mile extended warranty, it was 37,144.
    DL7264...for your guide this last week i was quoted 509/mo for a 525 w/ auto/premium/cold-weather with zero down except 1900 for dealers fees (1st mo/prep...etc) 36mo/12K mi/yr.

i think this is a good deal and will go for it
    The lease deals are good.... but, not if you are going to be driving that many miles.. I'd suggest buying it with a 60 month loan..

But, if you aren't putting anything down, you probably won't be right side up until after the 42nd payment at least... Especially with the high miles... Maybe 48 payments...

Or, you might wait until next month, and see if they replace lease incentives with dealer cash...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What is the MSRP?

(I seem to be asking this question a lot)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator