Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• phibei3phibei3 Member Posts: 3
    new to lease...a few questions...

1. are there any room for negotiation on residual value, money factor, acquisition fee and disposition fee? if so, how much?

2. do these numbers vary dealer by dealer?

3. people can get invoice price from edmunds or consumer reports. i wonder if there is some generally accepted place to find the negotiation baseline for such figures as residual value, money factor, bank fees, .. etc. (it seems generally agreed that the residual for bmw 5 is about 60%...)

your insights greatly appreciated.
  • beamingbeaming Member Posts: 40
    I realized afterwards that you said "in the Boston area", however I would think the same concept would apply there as well. Also, my car as configured was pretty loaded up ($60715. msrp) but there's not much markup on the options so it should not make much of a difference. If I remember correctly, the msrp was a little over $5000. of the dealers invoice. I thought it was reasonable for them to meet me halfway and in the end I suppose they did too. I think it's worth the wait to get the car the way you want. I hate the back and forth too, but using fax machines and email and voice messages makes it a little easier to handle.
  • gap4jasongap4jason Member Posts: 54
    I called a local California dealership re: the MF on a '06 525i. Can someone tell me if this is accurate? I'm looking for 2006 525i, with Automatic, and premium package.

.0022 - .00235 with BMWFS
    .0018 leasing with Wells Fargo (credit score of 740 and up)

For the 530i, my contact mentioned .00195.

As far as selling price, around $2000 off MSRP.

help!
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    One guy told me he will lease me a 2005 545i for $1500 over invoice.
    So he jacks the acquisition fee from $625 to $825.
    He then tells me there is also a document fee of $399.
    Does anyone know if the document fee is legitimate or is it just more padding?
    Has anyone followed the production of their car through the online Vehicle Order Tracking system. If so, do you know how long it takes to get your car once it's in the "awaiting transport" to a vehicle processing center? :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    525i..

MF is .0022 with security deposit
    .00235 without security deposit

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I think you already know the answer to this..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

1) Residual value is set by the bank.. non-negotiable.
    Money factor is also set by the bank.. the dealer may mark it up.. Only the mark-up is negotiable.. Always insist on the base money factor.
    Disposition fee is set by bank is non-negotiable.

2) Only the money factor and/or acquisition fee can vary.. Insist on base rates.

3) If you google for other Bimmer forums, you'll see the invoice prices posted.. KBB.com is another good source. Check the Prices Paid boards here at Edmunds to get a feel for selling prices.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Padding it is then. But BMW encourages it because there is a place for it on the BMWFS lease agreement sheet under "pre-delivery service charge" which to me sounds like encouragement from the home office to pad the deal.( the fee and profit is for "inspecting, cleaning and adjusting vehicles and preparing documents related to the lease" is the explanation given).
    Yeah... Document and dealer-prep fees seem to be more and more prevalent..

The last new car that I bought.. had a grand-total of $39 in extra charges.. but, every one of them was related to a government fee such as temporary tags, title transfer, registration, etc.. It was refreshing... Our agreed on price was $22,800 and the total amount was $22,839.xx...

Taxes paid later at time of licensing in my home state..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• suehsueh Member Posts: 9
    I ordered my 525xi titanium gray/black on April 30th. It is awaiting transport
    as well. I was told I could expect delivery the last week of June, however
    the dealer now advises first or second week in July....torture.
  • freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    Here's what I got for $2500 off the MSRP of $58205:

2006 530xi
    Manual transmission
    Black Sapphire metallic with gray leather interior
    Cold weather package
    Premium package
    Premium sound package
    Rear side airbags
    Rear sunshades
    Park distance control
    Navigation system
    Head-up display
  • sjtmsjtm Member Posts: 4
    Well I signed the papers tonight - pick up the car Staurday. for those that are interested , here is my deal; 545i with cold weatherpkg, sports pkg, premium sound, navigation system, sat radio prep. Agreed value= 458,456.54. Gross cap Cost $59,081.54, Residual Value 34,312.65; 36 months / 20k miles per yr. Total monthly lease payment, including tax=$845. $0 down pmt, no deposit, $235 in doc and registration fees. This seemed like a pretty good deal - actually had two other dealers with the same car say i should take it. Titanium Gray / grey interior. The best part is i am keeping my M3, which will now become my autocross car. already installed the TC Kline suspension UUC exhaust and conforti intake. It is loud and fun. The 545i is somewhat docile compared to the M3 but it can go like stink ( for a slushbox). BMWw's do rock.
  • jfirbjfirb Member Posts: 9
    freddybb, do you mind telling me which dealer(s) you went and got the quote? Any recommendations? I had bad experience with Herb Chambers :mad: but heard Novell or Peabody might be easier to deal with on pricing. Thanks.
  • aocaoc Member Posts: 2
    Hey habitat, which state do you live in? Most dealerships i have gone to say they cannot touch the european delivery price, and it does not apply to any options. I live here in oregon. I would also love to have the car you ordered, especially at the price you seem to be getting it at.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to talk with recent buyers of new BMW and Mercedes vehicles who enjoyed a generous discount off sticker price. Please send relevant details and your daytime contact information to Pam Krebs at pkrebs@edmunds.com by Thursday, June 23, 2005

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sjtmsjtm Member Posts: 4
    foreign motors west - so is this sound like a good deal?
    I got $1500 over invoice, base money factor(.001) on a 2005 545i, 36 months, 36,000 miles, delivery sometime in August.
    Titanium silver with gray leather comfort seats. Paying $673 a month, nothing down.
    Car loans are about 4.5%. Couldn't resist 2.4% money from BMWFS.
    That silver streak whizzing by all you Infiniti M's and Lexus GS430's in September will be me!
    You = :lemon:

Me = :shades:
  • jfirbjfirb Member Posts: 9
    I don't know how you got the msrp but I couldn't get it using Edmunds' pricing. What is the invoice? $2500 off msrp sounds higher than $1500 above invoice (maybe around $500-$1000 higher). Since people are getting $1000-$1500 above invoice, I would push a little bit harder if I were you. For me, I would push for $1000 above invoice and accept $1500 above.
  • aocaoc Member Posts: 2
    Someone mentioned an invoice price for the ED also ..... How do you get that number? Because Edmunds does not give that number.
  • mac101mac101 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a great deal, where are you located? What transmission did you go with?
    I live in the Tampa area. I went with the steptronic automatic.
    In this part of Florida deals are "scarce."
    Deals are available on the other side of Florida.
    I proposed a lease deal to Braman BMW of Palm Beach. They accepted it. But they are almost 300 miles away.
    My local dealer cried there is no way he could do my deal and wanted to charge me $3000 more for the car.
    I told him okay, it's worth $100 flight to get the deal with one of his competitors on the other side of Florida. An hour later he e-mailed me that he would match the deal. So much for there is no way he could do it.
    The only way to get a good deal is to structure the deal yourself. E-mail 5-10 different dealers showing them a breakdown of your deal. Then play the dealer with the best deal against the dealer who is closest to your location.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .... **E-mail 5-10 different dealers showing them a breakdown of your deal. Then play the dealer with the best deal against the dealer who is closest to your location** ...

Why even get into the email game and why waste the time of that many dealers.? .. a face gets a whole lot more done than an email .. do you have any idea how many "kids" shop their Ford Focus and a try to get a price on a 545 at the same time.? -- Tons ....

Terry.
  • lookin1lookin1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

New to this board........ trying to figure everything out- how do you find out what the invoice price is? Do I just go into build a bmw? or is there another way? Sorry if I seem so green - just trying to figure all this out- I am serious about buying (not leasing) the care.

Thanks

lookin1
    The 2005 BMW 545i is on the way out. Dealers should be pretty eager to unload them. No need to go down there.
    While the face game may be a valid approach for other vehicles, I knew I could get a good deal on a 545i the lazy way and sure enough, I did, at 2.4% interest.
    You have to e-mail 5-10 dealers to take into consideration that some dealerships will not respond.
    Try KBB.com to build your car and get invoice prices.. They have one of the better interfaces for researching prices...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

hpowders... Good deal... did you order, or out of stock?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you, kyfdx.
    I ordered. My thinking was that if I asked for a "typical" 545, it would be equipped with sports package. Cars like that are a dime a dozen sitting on dealers lots, many since January-March when a lot of people were reporting software problems with their new 545's. I did not want to be stuck with one of those vehicles.
    So I asked for comfort seats, something I knew the dealer would have a hard time finding in a 545 sitting on someone's lot. Sure enough, no such vehicle could be located in Florida and the order was submitted to the factory to be built sometime in August. By ordering the comfort seats, I believe I will be getting a vehicle free of annoying software glitches since all updates will have been done on a fresh new vehicle.
    Since my 2002 325i lease is up on August 2nd, I will probably have to extend my old lease 1 month while I wait for my new 545i. No problem since I will be renting my new car for only 2.4% and car loans are going for around 4.5%.
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    I've also found e60.net a great site. go to the site and click on information and scroll down - its a wealth of information on the 5 series ans includes US and Euro Delivery prices on the 2006 - 5 series.

All the best.
    Is anyone aware of an iPod integration device (other than the useless FM transmitters) that enables an iPod to be connected to the sound system of a 5 series car?

Also, when connecting a bluetooth enabled phone, what functions exactly is one able to use? i.e., does the phone use the car's audio system to provide hands-free useage?
    try e60.net - click on the Information tab and scroll down for us and ed invoice prices
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **I ordered**

You kinda left that part out ..l.o.l.. ... all do respect Hp, but you could have walked into any Bimmer store from Atlanta to Miami and received that kind of deal on an ordered vehicle .. remember, most Bimmer stores only sell 80/90 vehicles a month and most times they can't afford selling current inventory for alot less money ..... an ordered vehicle.? those they can deal with, especially on a 545 ....

Terry.
  • mac101mac101 Member Posts: 2
    So you are saying that one can get a better deal by ordering rather than buying one that's taking space on the lot??

I would have thought that the dealer would want to move his current inventory out. What do you think is a good price on ordering a 545i? How much over invoice?
  • richjeansrichjeans Member Posts: 2
    How can I get the same deal?????
  • richjeansrichjeans Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a great deal... Can you please explain more about the multiple security specifics?

I am interested in similar deal.

Thanks.
    Just checking in to see what stage you are in the process? I just went on the Vehicle Order Tracking site and my car is now at the "en route" step and I am wondering how much longer it will be. Any thoughts?
    Do you remember how long your car was "en route"? :cry:
  • sharmabmwsharmabmw Member Posts: 45
    BMW Owner's Circle is notoriously unreliable. Call your dealer, he or she will be able to track the car down.
    good luck.
  • turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    Right you are! Found that the Owner's Circle tracking system was about three days behind. According to OC info, the car was still at VPC yet the car had been at the dealer for several days.

Martin
    Good to know, thanks. Also, one of the things I was looking forward to seeing in the Owner's Circle tracking system was that the car was being produced as I ordered it but the "review order" section was blank under "factory ordered options". It's amazing how fast it goes through the production chain.
  • beeamwbeeamw Member Posts: 3
    I am getting a deal of $3000 off MSRP on 525xi or 530xi in both minneapolis and chicago area. I looked through this forum and the best I read so far is 2500 off MSRP. Lemme know is someone has gotten a better deal. This seems very reasonable to me.
    Thanks
  • juventusjuventus Member Posts: 5
    What does the diplomatic us port of entry base price mean as stated on the e60 forum (www.e60.com)
  • fla528fla528 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2004 525 with out HID headlights. I would like to convert to xenons . Is this possible and at what cost? Thanks for any feedback...!!!
    If you aren't a diplomat, it doesn't mean anything...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It is possible.. It would be cheaper to trade your car on another unit that has Xenons...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

you should be very pleased , I think you did very well for yourself. :D
  • jharonisjharonis Member Posts: 7
    question:
    who did you deal with on your ED purchase...

also do you have any knowledge or does anyone know of any resources that are available that I can enter in the vin# of a bmw and it will tell me all of the installed options on that vehicle...both standard and optional equip....thanks..or do you know where I can get an original invoice on a used bmw i own??

thanks
    question:
    who did you deal with on your ED purchase...

also do you have any knowledge or does anyone know of any resources that are available that I can enter in the vin# of a bmw and it will tell me all of the installed options on that vehicle...both standard and optional equip....thanks..or do you know where I can get an original invoice on a used bmw i own??

thanks
    question:

do you have any knowledge or does anyone know of any resources that are available that I can enter in the vin# of a bmw and it will tell me all of the installed options on that vehicle...both standard and optional equip....thanks..or do you know where I can get an original invoice on a used bmw i own??

thanks
    question:
    do you have any knowledge or does anyone know of any resources that are available that I can enter in the vin# of a bmw and it will tell me all of the installed options on that vehicle...both standard and optional equip....thanks..or do you know where I can get an original invoice on a used bmw i own??

thanks
  • sharmabmwsharmabmw Member Posts: 45
    jharonis,

Your question concerning the vin# of a bmw was just answered on another bimmer forum. I don't know if it was you who posted the question. If not, google other bimmer forums, and you'll find what I'm talking about. Likewise, there's an outstanding Eur Del section on that forum to answer all your ED questions.

I used Santa Barbara BMW. Pickup 5/2/05 Munich, arrived Santa Barbara 6/22/05 (one day after my b'day).

good luck