Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ...... Perhaps in your situation the extra $17 grand wouldn't do much .. but most folks are payment buyers, even for those that drive ultimate "M", so that extra $300 a month would make *all* the difference ................ :)

Terry.
    **'03 Lexus ES300 with 23K miles.. Gold with tan guts.. Everything original.. no runs, no hits, no errors.. What is it worth in a private party sale? Cincinnati market** ....

Sounds like the mid/tall $23's, maybe the low low $24's if everything goes his way on the trade side, not much help from the color or the miles ... might see $26ish after all the smoke clears down Retail Rd .. it's funny, but like the "old 5" Bimmer body, the ES is going thru the same thing .. clean low miler "02's" will do "almost" what the new body will do ..... whats that tell ya.?

Terry.
  • an '04 525 stick, black on black, sport, premium, heat (seats) and lights (zenons) with 17K at a dealer as a CPO in soon to be snowy Boston? How much more would you pay for the same car if new? Note, no great factory financing on either one but the CPO has a better warranty than the new unit.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    “Did I misspeak? The deal I was offered was approximately $4,000 under invoice, including the $4k incentive. If you could have got a 530i for $3,500 under invoice, plus a $4k incentive (i.e. $7,500 under invoice), you really blew a good deal.”

I stand corrected on the including/plus slip. By my original point was that $38.9K at $4000 under invoice was at the extreme end of good deals last year in this thread.

“The fact that the M5 is perhaps the ultimate sedan on the road doesn't mean it's easy to find someone to get infatuated with the idea of paying $57k for a three year old used car. Perhaps I'm a new car snob, but $73k for a brand new one sounds like a far better deal than $57k for a three year old one, suspisciously low mileage notwithstanding.”

It was two years old when I saw it. And it was bought the same week I turned it down. I saw others go just as quickly for a lot more. For someone who heaps praise on the M5 I find it curious how you would classify someone as “infatuated” for buying one with 2500 miles for 17 grand less. I wouldn’t call you a “new car snob”, I’d say you are “infatuated” with new cars. I’m not. And I would take new-545 money and put it on a cream puff E39 M5 any day. Furthermore, that particular car would have turned around with less depreciation in a year’s time. BTW, the low mileage is suspicious to YOU because you know nothing about the car.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    $17k may sound like a lot of savings, but that's only 23% less than the price of a brand new vehicle. And, given that the 2001 M5's were out in October, 2000, I would respectfully suggest that most buyers would consider it a three year old "model" by mid to late 2003. There were some tweaks and minor improvements for 2002 and 2003 as well (e.g. nav system).

"BTW, the low mileage is suspicious to YOU because you know nothing about the car."

I may not know anything about THAT car, but I have been coached by a few well qualified friends and associates that a car that "sits" for extended periods of time is MORE likely to have some mechanical issues than one that is driven regularly. I won't go beyond MY limited technical expertise, but as it was described to me, belts and chains get rigamortis, fluids evaporate and/or solidify, even tires get fatigued from being in one position. And the idea of starting up a car and driving it a few miles once or twice a month is hell on an engine that doesn't really get a chance to warm up. Heck, my Honda S2000 wasn't even fully broken in until it had 5,000+ miles on the odometer. I didn't test it's 9,000 rpm redline until well after 1,500 miles. Call me paranoid, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar to a doughnut (or better yet, $73k to $57k), that my new M5 would get a much better break in routine than that 2,500 mile 2-3 year old used one did. The beauty of the M5 is that it is meant to be driven, not looked at like a fragile piece of art. I'd be much more inclined to buy a 3 year old M5 from someone who appreciated that and driven it (responsibly) for 15,000+ miles than someone who needed a trophy for their garage.
  • lee_wlee_w Posts: 239
    Anyone have new prices paid or buying experiences to share?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,704
    Thanks Terry.. I believe he is asking $27,500, so hopefully he can get $26K out of it.. He is definitely selling it retail.. Thanks for the info...

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• list is $ 58,455.00 with a sell price of $ 55,490.00 plus tax and tags. payment for a 36 month/10,000 mile lease comes to $ 717.54 per month including PA tax

1st month: $ 717.54
    Security: $ 750.00 (unless you have a current lease with BMW)
    Bank Fee: $ 525.00
    DMV Fee: $ 261.00
    Total: $ 2253.54

What do you think?
    I think that is an absurd purchase price for a 530i. The modestly powered 6 cylinder 530i is a decent car, but over $55k is just nuts, IMO.

If it were me, I'd cash in some frequent flyer miles and get a 545i through European Delivery for $1,200 to $1,500 over invoice. The loaded 545i 6-speed I priced out came in at below your price for a 530i. Not sure about leasing through ED.
    ...... If it was new.? .. probably $600/$800 over invoice, minus any incentives ....

The pre-owned.? .. the dealer probably paid in and around the $34ish figure, by the time they do the CPO and a few things it probably hits the table at the $35ish figure and he probably would cut it loose for the $37ish zipcode or less .. it's a handshaker, he won't want that dude in the inventory for any length of time with winter coming ........... ;)

Terry.
  • The car is overpriced or I'm getting a bad deal?
    This is 2k over invoice, edmunds suggests it should be sold @ sticker.
    ....... $2,000 over *invoice* is a "fair" price, but I have a feeling that they would probably kick another $500 off to move the unit .. if you like the color and options, then take it .............. :)

Terry.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    “$17k may sound like a lot of savings, but that's only 23% less than the price of a brand new vehicle.”

What are you comparing this to, a 7-series that you may be able to get 15% off MSRP, or the vehicle in discussion—an M5 which isn’t discounted and has better resale value? Big difference. Furthermore, the E60 M5 is less street-friendly than the E39 version for my taste. The price/performance difference hits my sweetspot for a performance sedan. And yes, $17K is indeed a lot of savings. As an owner of an S2000 bargain baby are you really going to try to convince me otherwise?

“…I have been coached by a few well qualified friends and associates that a car that "sits" for extended periods of time is MORE likely to have some mechanical issues than one that is driven regularly.”

That theory could hold water for a vehicle that sits unused and unattended for 15, 20 years. An 01 vehicle doesn’t even close to being suspect on those grounds. I welcome any opinion or evidence that suggests otherwise. 01 cars aren’t old enough to develop internal corrosion, pocks, galling, rigor mortis due to the effects of time and unattended lack of use. The M5 that interested me would be subjected to immediate fluid replacement and diagnostic anyway, then go through my own break-in regimen. Flat spots on tires? They would SCREAM vibration on the test drive and would have to be replaced before I would consider buying.

To each his own but I see little downside to buying a low-mileage cherry. It means I’ll have more redlining to myself. I would like to know what happens to routinely-redlined high-revving engines when their mileage starts adding up—their odometers belie the distance traveled by the reciprocating engine parts and the stresses put on them. I would never buy a car that I thought was driven hard. Remember, high-revving F1 engines are as disposable as daily contact lenses. An owner who mimics this type of driving is taking life off his engine in a similar if less-extreme manner. I’ll do this myself, thank you, without having the other person’s driving factor into this.

Proper break-in? Sure, I follow convention and am adverse to abusive break-in. But I’d welcome any data or even isolated empirical evidence that shows ill effects of UNDER-break-in, why it should deter anyone from buying a garage queen at a good price. It is my contention that under-break-in merely means it has yet to be broken in.

I appreciate and buy new cars for the same obvious reasons that anyone else does. That said, I’ve had three used cars that never gave me problems. As you are candid about criticizing others on their purchases I will now amicably suggest that it could behoove you to re-think your car-buying strategy, because anyone who needs a full four seats and who craves roadster performance is going to be left hanging by every new luxury sedan out there. Therein lies the current value of an E39 M5. The total package can’t be beat—plenty of low-end torque for a road cruiser, plenty of revs for the sport driver, plenty of corners, and a real stick with heavy duty clutch—a combination that won’t be obsolete for some time yet. The bargain you find is merely icing on the cake. You’d give that up because of used-car syndrome and baubles like a nav upgrade? Think about it when you are driving your next new sedan and are having fond memories of your S2000 which is a fantastic car IMO. You may also want to think about why there are tons of luscious Porsches on the road, most of which are used and command premium prices. Again, to each his own but I find it unfortunate that a lust for sport and magnificent cars could be shackled by such paranoia.
    Uh.. alex23.. Is there not one option you can't live without? That has to be the highest priced 530i on the planet..

Anyway, what is your tax rate? I'll check the numbers for you.

....... I think he missed the basket weaving option ................... ;)

Terry.
    I ran some numbers..

Using your figures, I come up with a payment of $677/mo + tax.. So, your dealer's numbers appear to be right on the money..

1) Your price is right about $2000 over invoice.. I agree with Terry.. seems fair, but you might be able to beat another $500 out of them.. $500 will save you about $15/mo.

2) Can you get by with only 10K miles/yr.? The cheapest miles you can buy is the jump from 10K to 12K.... That would only add about $16/mo to your payment... Maybe you could try negotiating the extra mileage, rather than the lower price.. It will cost them $585 to give you the higher mileage for the same price.

3) Even though that MSRP is hideously expensive, the lease deals are pretty good.. and, from all appearances, your dealer is giving you the base rates on MF and acquisition fee. The residual for the 10K lease is 63% and the MF is .0015

4) If you can live with a 530i with less options, you can save substantially.. Get the same deal on one with an MSRP of $55K, and your payment drops about $45/mo.

All in all, a pretty good deal, and your dealer is not "playing" with the numbers.

regards,
    kyfdx

• Believe it or not this isn't all the options,
    all options will take it to 64K area and with Rear Deck Spoiler+Illuminated Door Sills+ Leather/Wood Gear Shift Knob+ ,etc... - 70K

I can probably live without premium sound, I usually do that would save me couple of bucks

Or I can look in to getting 545 with even less options and lower residuals
    I have to admit, that when I see someone asking if a $55k+ 2005 530i is a good deal, even a FOUR year old low mileage M5 for $57k sounds like a bargain. So maybe I should re-think my previous posts.

I will point out, however, that my 1995 Maxima with 153k miles has been "sitting" for the past three months. In the 10 years I was driving it, I didn't have a single repair until 110k miles. And, up until I bought an Acura TL in May, the Maxima ran perfectly. Yet, when my wife tried moving it yesterday, the battery was dead. After jump starting it, the clutch wouldn't go far enough in to get into reverse gear. After filling the clutch fluid and finally getting it into reverse and driving it, the brakes were making a horrible noise. Even the engine felt rough, but I may just be used to the Acura. In any event, I think I should give it to someone who will put it to good use. I didn't trade it because it wasn't worth much, but it obviously doesn't like sitting.

Back to the M5. Consider your points made and my opinions modified accordingly.
    **'03 530i that he bought on Ebay... drove it straight home.. ten hours..
    6K miles, 5-speed, premium, Xenons, stereo upgrade, PDC, etc.. Silver w/black leather..
    $30,450 total.. plus taxes when he registers it.** ....

In this particular case, this guy just "flat" stole it, even $35,0 would have been fair .... once you get into that $50,000+ market, your getting into some rarefied air .. thats why Bimmer dealers load up with clean low miler 02/03's, it expands their selling market by 50%+ ........

Terry.
  • Just picked up my new 530. Car equipped with nav system, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, Xenon adaptive headlights, cold weather package and satellite radio prep listed for 54,395. The cost to me was 51,350 which was 3045 discount from list and a little over 1500 over invoice which was 49785. I thought this was a fair deal and is a pretty good barometer as to what type of deal is available right now on the 530.