Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mas6002mimas6002mi Member Posts: 18
    May be a stupid question ......the price u quoted is before Tax/Title etc. right?
  • w_harrisw_harris Member Posts: 5
    Correct. Before tax & title
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    BMW has a 7-year model life, therefore, the new 5-series should be introduced as a 2011 model, as the current one was introduced as 2004 model. In Germany they come one year earlier, thus 2010 would be correct over there, however, the US has been getting it one year later. Currently, the new 5-series are being introduced in February, which makes the 2009 5-series already available while the 2010 should be out in Feb 2009, which is not that too far away

Thank you for the info.
  • justin27justin27 Member Posts: 1
    bmw 528i monaco blue/beige int. premium pckg (no cost)
    msrp 48,950
    down to 42k. will put 10k down approx $600/month x 60 months (0.9%)
    Just want to get an idea if I should go for this deal????
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    $7000 off MSRP and .9% financing?

Sounds pretty good... but, why put anything down, when money is that cheap?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Agree 200%. Cash is king in this economy.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    At that interest rate, I would agree with less $ down. If you are uncomfortable, put that same money down into an interest bearing account and use it to pay the payments until it is gone.
  • andrewwuandrewwu Member Posts: 2
    I am going to buy an 2008 528i. Several dealers in bay area, CA are offering 2K below invoice. Is this a good deal?
    Anyone got any quotes? how much below MSRP, or how much above Invoice??
    How much r the dealers giving into right now?
    anyone!
  • andrewwuandrewwu Member Posts: 2
    I got quotes from at least 2 dealers in bay area, CA. They are selling any 2008 5 series 2k below invoice. I am trying to squeeze more.
  • pkh540pkh540 Member Posts: 24
    From the BMW NA Web site - http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/FinancingOffer/2008535i- SedanAPR.aspx

"Be sure to ask your BMW center about adding the Premium Package at no cost."

Is the 2k below invoice you mention the Premium Package discount or is this an additional discount?
    Just wanted to gauge what sort of discounts folks are able to negotiate for the 08's (taking into consideration that the Premium Package is now being offered as a no cost option).

Does anyone know if BMW has a dealer holdback? And anyone hearing any indication as to whether the 0.9% financing will continue past the end of the month? Seems there are still quite a few 08's on dealer lots.

Thanks!
  • dsheckles71dsheckles71 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 2008 5 series or 3 series. Can you be more specific as to what dealerships in the bay area are offering 2k below invoice.
  • atxbmwatxbmw Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone having any luck buying a new 528i for less than invoice (taking into account the fact that premium package is now free)? If so, I would appreciate the benefit of your experience. I'm in Texas, if that matters/helps.
  • joe_plummerjoe_plummer Member Posts: 5
    Got a quote for 535Xi with cold/premium/nav at invoice. I'm in the NY metro area. Is it a good enough deal at this market? Does anybody have any idea whether the 2.9% financing will continue and whether the no-cost premium package also applies to the 2009 version. Thx in advance.
  • tronicsjunkietronicsjunkie Member Posts: 3
    Anyone made any purchases from dealers in these cities?
  • indofruitindofruit Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Quick question I am getting a quote from Texas Dealers 525 Premium, Comfort Access, 522 Xenon Lights, Sirius Satellite and IPOD and USD for 45780. Is that a good price? I might be able to get 45k. Tks!
  • phil_in_socalphil_in_socal Member Posts: 28
    Buddy of mine got his brand new 2008 535i for 17% below msrp, we're in buyers market, nat'l car sales is down by 30%+ so haggle your price down. you'll get a better deal if you contact dealers' fleet managers directly. u should get atleast 15% off msrp otherwise go to the next dealer, the longer you wait the better deal you should get on 08 models.
  • drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    2009 535 xi
    manual 6 speed
    premium
    cold
    ipod
    navig
    rear split
    sirius radio
    Park distance control
    winter mats

$748 per month...36 months...taxes upfront...15K miles
    november program rates

I think this is a very good deal.....any thoughts?
    Hi So Cal,

OK. Are you familiar with MB 2008 E350? I am also getting quote for a 2008 E350 at 16% below MSRP. I should be able to get 17% do you think it is a good deal?

Tks!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    What is the MRSP and the cap.cost (the price they're basing the lease on) ?

I wouldn't pay full taxes in advance but in your monthly payment. If by chance the car was totaled you lose the full amount you've paid.
    $56,600 invoice
    i paid upfront taxes...already done
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Enjoy the car!
  • emedwayemedway Member Posts: 17
    Please clarify if your quote at invoice price was for a 2008 or 2009. The 2009's now have the same 0.9 % financing as the 2008's. The "no cost" premium package is really additional dealer cash from the manufacturer, not a true rebate. The dealer uses that approx $2k for the premium package to probably get you to invoice on a 2008. My dealer claims this dealer cash for the premium package is for 2008's only, not 2009's. If you've been quoted invoice price for a 2009, that's better than what I've been quoted in MA.
    the car no longer called the 535xi...just 535 w/ "X Drive "emblem on the sides of car....

the navigation is improved with additional dials surrounding the main dial...short cuts

this car with the stick is just amazing......

any other questions...just ask!
    All I hear bout 08 and prior years on E class (and some of the other models) are all sorts of problems. brake system (think related to their sbc system), transmissions, you name it. Others say these are all related to their "drive by wire" tech. if you have to go with E, i'd look at the 09 models which i think will no longer have some of these crappy technologies, they're definitely making change on their brake system. google "e class sbc system" and you'll find all sorts of info . you should get way way better deals with the 08 E class than the 5 series. am no mechanic but i research like hell ( -:
  • joe_plummerjoe_plummer Member Posts: 5
    I have been trying to get a deal on either 528 or 535 with AWD. I figure that in this market (dismal auto sales, increasing layoffs), I could get a pretty good deal. I looked around the dealers in tri-state area, and it seems that a lot of 2008 528Xi are still sitting on the lot which might enable me to get a better deal.

After rounds of back and forth with several dealers, I got the following quote on a 08 528Xi with cold weather and premium.
    base invoice: 43055
    Cold; 685
    Premium: free
    Destination: 825
    Total invoice: 44565

Dealer quote: $45500 (935 above invoice), plus 225 doc, 175 title, + sales tax.

Also, I looked at a 2009 535 Xi
    base invoice: 48760
    Cold; 750
    Premium: 2200
    Destination: 825
    Total invoice: 52535
    Dealer quote: 52800, plus $600 mac, $400 doc, $175 title + sales tax
    This is roughly $1040 above invoice (265 on car + 600 mac + 175 higher doc fee), while the 2008 528Xi is 935 above invoice with free premium. So effectively, two quotes on 08 528Xi and 09535Xi are similar priced to their invoice prices. Of course 2009 535Xi costs 6500 more.

I am leaning toward the 2009 535Xi given that both 08 and 09 have 0.9% financing right now, as the latest model should be worth more than the free premium package for 2008 models.

Comments?
    Tks So Cal,

Actually after much thought I decided not to go with the E Class 2008 althought dealer willing to give me 16% below MSRP. Decided to wait until the 2010 model comes out since it is only 1 yr more.
  • emedwayemedway Member Posts: 17
    Seems like good pricing based on my recent quotes in MA. As to which car to choose, only you can decide if the extra power of the 535 is worth the extra cash! The 2009 does have a somewhat friendlier iDrive set-up. Good luck deciding.
  • chesdin24chesdin24 Member Posts: 2
    With no negotiation (other than demonstrating that I knew about free Premium Pkg and invoice costs for everything else), this was their offer:

2008 528i, no options except Premium Pkg:

Base MSRP 44,600
    Premium Pkg 2,400
    Destination 825
    Total MSRP 47825

Base Invoice 41,030
    Premium Pkg 2,185
    Destination 825
    Total Invoice 44,040

Offer to sell at 43,435, or $605 below invoice.

Seemed like a decent price that could be improved, but there's one problem: There is no way my wife will drive this car (though it would be mine, primarily). I can't believe how unintuitive all the switchgear is vs. my 2001 530i which I'd be trading. (I was even ready to cope with the 2008 version of I-Drive, since most controls are back on the dash.) I must be getting old... oh, well.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Sounds like you're ready for a cadillac cts [ test drive an awd just for fun] --- your wife will love it and you'll have 6-8 grand to spend on meals at Denny's. Of course, you could take a first class trip to Hawaii and still have a few bucks left. Peace to you fellow old timer.
  • chesdin24chesdin24 Member Posts: 2
    Jayrider,

It's scary because this is the first time in my life that I actually felt "old & crotchety" about something (as far as I know, of course). I'm going to try the similarly-sized (but of course not comparable) Acrua, Lexus, and Infiniti models as well.

It kills me to not get another 5-series because I LOVE my '01 530i (with sport/premium and a 5-speed). We got it via Euro delivery and of course it was beyond fun tearing up the autobahns in that thing.

Oh well, phases of life, I guess...
    Skip the pancakes at Denny's and drive whatever you buy to my sisters restaurant, Flea St. Cafe in Menlo Park , and have a nice glass of wine and a nice meal. No discount for mentioning me, sorry.
    Wow, i can't believe most of the entries on this site. why would anyone willing more than they've to unless they're car sales men pretending to be soliciting for good purchase price. for those of you out there who's a non car salesman or related to car dealers, you should get at least 15% off msrp on 08 5 series. also the premium package is being added in with no additional cost to match MB offer on their E class where they're throwing in the sport package for no additional cost.

so based your price on the msrp minus 15% (regardless you're purchasing or leasing), is the premium package is factored in the msrp, deduct that first then apply your 15% price down.

don't get fooled by some of these posters, it's out market. :D
    Interesting observation. Is it concievable that this discussion and others on edmunds are seeded with auto industry shills who attempt to influence the pricing of vehicles? Say it ain't so Joe.
    Not too sure about the math... subtract premium from MSRP and then reduce by 15%... that puts the price below invoice more than the cost of the premium package... where is the other money coming from? I don't think there's a hold-back or anything so not too sure abut that figure. (and no, I'm not an industry shill just someone who's been lurking on the board trying to figure out the best price for a new 5-series. I have been thinking about trading in my 540 and the 535 has been calling my name... though not my wife's!)

The other thing that might be a factor is that looking at your username you might be located in So Cal where there are numerous dealers and more inventory to choose from while here in the Seattle area we only have three dealers and fewer cars.

Anyway, if you can back up your claim I would be most grateful!
  • twodomestwodomes Member Posts: 73
    ditto on pk's thoughts. haven't seen anyone posting about getting it for $2k under invoice, which is what phil seems to be claiming, even the guy who said he went in and knew about the free premium package was still offered $600 under invoice. i live in la, phil, so would be hugely appreciative if you let us know which dealer offered that.

i am also hoping somebody knows the nov lease rates for the 08 528i for 36 months...
  • mdx2008mdx2008 Member Posts: 13
    What are the main differences with these two cars? I cannot find too much info. I am going to wait until early 2009 to buy but I think a lot of 2008's may be left in the lots.
    I have my 2009 535xi manual for 2 weeks now.

The navigation is upgraded with additional dials..works great....

the car is now called 535i....with X drive on the side front panels

some minor body changes....
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Hi Folks, I'm looking at a 2008 CPO program 535i, with 27K miles on it. Dealer is asking $39,995 marked down (so they say) from $42,995. The car looks magnificent.
    I'm curious to know if anyone thinks I can get them down any further. Economy is in the tank, how many people are out there looking at luxury vehicles. I'm also concerned about the iDrive. I have a 1996 328i which runs great but I'm looking for something new.

Also, any advice on fuel economy, which is important to me. I hear the 5 series is pretty good on fuel, I'm getting about 19mpg on my 328i and about 30mpg on the highway trips. I don't want a fuel hog. What does the turbo mean?

Thanks, really appreciate any advice.
    Gardis
    gardis72@gmail.com
    I have a 2009 535i with x drive

22MPG city.....24+ MPG on highway

the turbo is great....car rides like a monster......I have owned BMW's for 24 years and this is by far the best vehicle I have ever driven....I have a manual 6 speed with the new improved I drive which I love......it was worth the extra $$$ for the turbo...

Have you considered a 2009?
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    I ran KBB value on a 535i with simple options (you could put them in more accurately) and the retail value is $39k. I would imagine you could get it for less. The challenge is no leverage (e.g. no other dealers to compete).

Play some hardball. Offer less and be prepared to walk. You have to decide how badly you want it.
    Thanks guys. I like the CPO program. Look even at the 39K price, that's about $12,000 less than a new one, let's face it. I wouldn't consider new, too much money for a vehicle. I have 3 dealers in my area, there is competition, so I'm going to print out some other vehicles and take them with me. They don't have to know I have my heart set on this particular car. I just don't want to be buying a car that's too technical for me, that's what I'm worried. The Lexus RX 350 is a good car also, far less technical. I'm in a quandary about it.
    Gardis in CT
    gardis72@gmail.com
  • thai357thai357 Member Posts: 27
    ...of a new BMW today. $1000 over invoice, exactly at invoice, or a $1000 under invoice?

I am planning to purchase a 2009 550i by the end of the year. Primarily due to the 0.9% financing. But have no idea what I should expect when it comes time to negotiate. The car I want has an msrp of $74,450. I live in MD and is looking for any tip and guidance anyone may offer. Please be as specific as possible.
    I was reading some reviews of the 535i in Yahoo and I was surprised, many said the gas mileage on a 535i turbo was lousy. I'm having second thoughts now about that vehicle. I don't want, repeat do not want a gas hog. Also, I understand there are different driving modes, like "sport" etc., can anyone explain and how do these modes affect gas consumption. Does iDrive control that?
  • curiousflcuriousfl Member Posts: 2
    I would like to purchase a 2008 528i, with a premium package, and no other options. Can anyone give me idea of what a fair purchase price would be for this car?
  • babdallababdalla Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a question, I’m looking at a 2007 530xi in CT. The price is good, but the dealer wants to charge me $550 in dealer fees. Sounds very high to me. How much should it be?
    Thanks in advance.
    B-
  • thai357thai357 Member Posts: 27
    ...8% below MSRP. Which is around 500-1000 over invoice. Can I do better on a 550i 2009?
    Wow I never heard of dealer fees, that's a LOT of money, does anyone know about that? If I buy a pre owned 2008 535i, do I have to pay that in CT?