Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    It is pretty unbelievable. Less than $650 per month pre-tax.
    You know, I leased a 325 in 2002 for $465 pre-tax back when BMW could command a rather high premium.
    Back then, I probably would have projected that a 545 in 2005 would lease for at least $800 per month pre-tax.
    Critical mistakes can create buying opportunities.
    Thank you very much!
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • pjtpjt Posts: 36
    [I just bought an '02 530 5 spd w/sp, pp, and some cw options, and it was 32,950 before taxes and fees.]

Did you purchase a CPO car from a BMW Center, or was it a private-party sale? Also, how many miles were on the car? Thanks. pjt
  • bscuorzobscuorzo Posts: 1
    I have just decided to get a BMW over an A6 but I am trying to decide whether to lease or purchase. I have negotiated a 2005 530 to 51,000 and a 545 to 55,000 (not sure which car yet). What should my lease payments be if i did a 3 year 25K per year lease? Would I be better financing over 5 years? I am not going to put any money down. Also, has anyone heard of a $250 advertising fee per vehicle? I live in New Jersey. I am really having a hard ime with this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The maximum yearly mileage allowed in a lease is usually 15k. Doing 25k or more per year would indicate it would be cheaper to buy the vehicle rather than lease it. A 15 cents per mile penalty over the allowed maximum of 45k/3 years would add $4500 to the cost of your lease when you return the vehicle.
    My BMW lease has a 20 cents per mile overage penalty. This would put your penalty at a whopping $6000 when you return your leased vehicle.
    Leasing is really only good for people who don't drive over 15k/year.
  • juju1911juju1911 Posts: 2
    Looking to buy a 2005 530 with prem sound, prem package, satellite radio and auto trans. I'm in Houston and I plan to lease likely 3/45K (50+ mile daily commute). Based on rsearch it appears that invoice with options should be $47,300. Plan to start dealing with dealers next week. What should I expect to pay for the car?
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Man, $70 bucks more for a 545i that I was offered for BASE 525i,Ive really got to move...

DL
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    It was CPO from a dealer who sells only used--excuse me, pre-owned--BMWs. There was no haggling. I bought it with 45,250 miles. By the time I got through with the add-ons (taxes and one dealer fee), including a 7 year 125,000 mile extended warranty, it was 37,144.
  • petppetp Posts: 43
    DL7264...for your guide this last week i was quoted 509/mo for a 525 w/ auto/premium/cold-weather with zero down except 1900 for dealers fees (1st mo/prep...etc) 36mo/12K mi/yr.

i think this is a good deal and will go for it
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    The lease deals are good.... but, not if you are going to be driving that many miles.. I'd suggest buying it with a 60 month loan..

But, if you aren't putting anything down, you probably won't be right side up until after the 42nd payment at least... Especially with the high miles... Maybe 48 payments...

Or, you might wait until next month, and see if they replace lease incentives with dealer cash...

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

What is the MSRP?

(I seem to be asking this question a lot)

• dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    what State are you in ? And are the sales taxes included in the $1900 down ?

Thanks,
    DL
  • turnbowmturnbowm Posts: 76
    The dealer's invoice has MACO (advertising fee) and Training fee added, which are not shown on the edmunds.com invoice. In Los Angeles, these fees run $415 and $180, respectively. This would bring the adjusted dealer invoice up to $47,895.

I would think that you should be able to get the car for $1000 over the adjusted dealer invoice.

Remind the dealer that the 2006 530i, with the new 255hp engine, is right around the corner. Trust me, they will deal on 2005s.

Martin T.
    Actually, the Training Fee is included on the Edmunds invoice.. It just isn't broken out, like it is on the dealer's invoice..

IOW, Dealer invoice + training fee = Edmunds (or KBB) invoice..

The MACO varies according to region, and some areas don't have it at all... So, that is correct.. you'd have to add that..

regards,
    kyfdx

Yeah. "What goes around comes around" should be posted on huge banners in every dealership in the country.
    But then again, such words only affect people who have consciences.
    "People" as you call them are a lot more informed than they used to be. You may call that "shady." I call that "well, it's about time."
  • yeagerdayeagerda Posts: 16
    Are these realistic numbers to expect:

2005 545 6 spd
    invoice + $1,000
    36mo / 15k mi lease
    mf 0.001, residual 59%

if not, what is realistic?
    thanks.
    Your lease numbers are all correct...

Dealers can mark up the MF, but the residual is set by BMWFS..

I have no idea if you can get $1000 over invoice on a $58K-$62K car.. but, if you do, you've got a heck of a lease deal.. especially, if the dealer will use the base rates..

If they use the base rates, even at $2500 over invoice, the lease price is relatively cheap, relative to the MSRP.

There hasn't been enough anecdotal evidence on this board, to know if anyone is getting those kind of deals on the 545i.

regards,
    kyfdx

• sam2005sam2005 Posts: 2
    I do not mean "informed" when referring to "Shady". An informed consumer is actually a pleasure to work with because they know what they want and what is realistic. "Shady" consumers outright lie (add comment about car salesperson here) create their own info i.e, money factors, residuals etc and swear they are correct saying "thats what my friend just got last week." To top it off they do not realize when they are getting a value.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    This topic is about pricing/buying experience specific to BMW 5-series vehicles. Please visit our Smart Shopper board for a list of discussions about dealerships, shopping strategies, and sales tactics.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bmbabybmbaby Posts: 4
    i have got a quote for a 05 525i with premium package, cold package & auto, satellite prep at MSRP 46800, at $1000 above invoice at $43900. Lease figures at MF.00125, RV 62%, with monthly lease payment of $552. Is this a reasonable deal.
    3yr/36K, right?

Does your payment include tax? And, what is the breakdown of your "due at signing"?

If your payment includes tax, how much of it is tax?