Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gellesgelles Posts: 3
    Hi! Am looking for some help-just bought a used 2001 540i with 35k miles, pristine condition, 6 speed. Never posted a message on a site like this before-looking for some driving advice and mechanical advice. Thanks!
  • gellesgelles Posts: 3
    Hi! Am looking for some help-just bought a used 2001 540i with 35k miles, pristine condition, 6 speed. Never owned a BMW of any kind. Never posted a message on a site like this before-looking for some driving advice and mechanical advice. Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,432
    Hi gelles,

Welcome to the forums!

We have a whole list of 5-series discussions.

You might find this one, or this one interesting..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I live in L.A. and got this offer from a dealer for a new 528 with premium, navigation, and ipod options: $45,111 incl. destination (tax & tag extra). The MSRP is: 50,125. That is a savings of $4937 off MSRP. The invoice (reflecting free premium pkg) is: 43,950. That means their offer is $1151 over invoice. The TMV price is 44,569, which is $542 less than the dealer offer. I think I should try more dealers. What do you think?

Thanks.
  • x021627x021627 Posts: 148
    I think you know you can do better. You should be real close to invoice if not slightly below if they are truly sharing the premium package credit with you.

Good Luck and let us know how you do. The deals right now are great. The dealers are trying or should be trying to move inventory prior to MY09. I was lucky enough to be able to get in on a Feb. 08 deal for a 528xi that is slightly comparable to anything offered now when you consider the free premium package incentive, low money factor/interest rates offsetting the higher residual and customer cash I got then.

You are in LA, so there should be several dealers to engage.
  • I did the deal today. I got the 528 in platinum gray with black leather and bamboo trim with premium, sport, navigation, sirius, ipod adapter, and floor mats. The MSRP: 53,750. My price: 48,662 + tax, lic, tags. Invoice: 49,050. My price is $5088 off the MSRP. And $388 below invoice. What makes the deal even better is the finance charge: .9% for 60 months.

The car will be here in 5-10 days. I'm really excited. :-)
    Congratulations. Sounds like you got a better deal on a better equipped car. I am sure you will love it. And the .9% financing is like free money...I am jealous about that.

Enjoy and welcome to the family! :D
  • Congrats!
    Did you dealer show you the invoice price?
  • I saw the list they had but didn't really pay attention to it because I know I had the real figures going into the dealer. I got mine from doing lots of homework online. I went to a few Bimmer boards and members there have posted the secret 'black book' prices, which are the true invoice numbers. Then as a backup, I paid 14 dollars for a Consumer Reports report on the invoice prices of the 5 series. So I went in armed with the truth and the number that I knew would be acceptable to me. The economy is so bad right now for many things, but most especially purchases of luxury cars. Hence the .9% financing and the great deals to be had on leasing. So getting this great deal just kind of balances things out for me. Higher prices for everything... but my dream car suddenly and surprisingly affordable. Strange world!
  • wow, that's great oceanblue.

I am also considering a car like yours 528xi, they have MSRP $53,875. The dealer only offers me $4k off MSRP. And I don't need finance, I'll pay cash or check. Do you think I can do better? My husband is trying to get me lexus GS350 also. I guess it all depends on the price.
    Sounds like you are buying or contemplating a 528Xi equipped like mine. I was about to get $3100 off MSRP in February 2008. There is the premium package incentive that sounds like the dealer isn't really sharing with you, although he probably claims he is. As the other poster mentioned, look at the invoice prices, factor in all or some of the premium package credit and then negotiate.

Also, don't tell the dealer you are not financing or leasing, but paying cash. Telling them cash means they have to make $$$ off of you by not negotiating well on the price of the car. BTW: you know they have .9% financing for up to 60 months. That is practically nothing and allows you to use your money for investing in the interim at a higher interest rate instead of paying cash for a depreciating asset all at once.

Just my .02
  • You're right. I have pretty much the same packages/options like yours (premium pkg, cold weather pkg, ipod, xenon lights, navigation system). I think I'll use the .9% financing. I'll be glad if I can get $6k off MSRP. I heard someone here got $7k or $8k off MSRP, really don't know how they got the good deals.
  • gliderpgliderp Posts: 2
    i live in nj and was offered the following:

10,000 miles/36 months
    msrp: $53670
    cold weather, premium package, nav, satellite, ipod/usb adapter
    my price: $48670
    $700 month/ $1600 out of pocket

good/bad. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks
    question here is what is the mf you are being charged and how they calculated the out of pocket costs? Aquisition fee is $625, but can be marked up to as much as $825. Dealer may try to mark up MF by .0004, so watch out for that. Also, verify the invoice cost. Another good site to check besides this one is bimmerfest.com.

You should run the number through a lease calculator to get a sense of whether the numbers work out. Also, does your lease payment include the 7% NJ tax?

I bought a very similarly equipped 528xi in Feb except I didn't get satellite. I got in on $2500 trunk money and while I'm leasing for 36 mos. it's for 12k miles per. My payment is $650 including tax. Only other caveat is my residual as higher then what they are charging now.

At first blush this deal sounds decent, but running the numbers will tell.
  • gliderpgliderp Posts: 2
    thanks. will do.
  • suznsaxsuznsax Posts: 9
    Having benefited from the postings here I wanted to share my recent experience (7/28) with a new '08 535i equipped with prem pkg, heated front seats, park dist, shade, and navigation. MSRP (pre price increase) 49,400 + options of 5,775 + dest 775 (pre price increase) = 55,950. Invoice of 51,477. I was able to negotiate invoice pricing (ex: MACO) at .0012 MF (I am currently leasing an X5 as well). Residual of 69% on 24 mos. lease = monthly payment pre taxes of $679.78 - $737.56 after taxes. Out of the gate the dealer in the Bay area offered only $1,000 off MSRP and a MF of .0014. My salesman did not know about the dealer rebate on the prem package until I told him about it. He went back to his manager with my request for invoice pricing less MACO at MF .0012. ( BMW published rate of .0020 dropped to .0016 in July less loyalty discount of .0004 = .0012). He initally balked at no MACO and the .0012. He said one or the other, but not both. He relented when I was prepared to walk out the door. Considering this car did not come off his lot I feel great about the deal. Having just turned in an '06, I'm also thrilled with the new engine. Thanks again for everyone's input.
  • asteinbergasteinberg Posts: 138
    It's very difficult dealing with BMW dealers.
    Does someone have the August MF for 5-series and X-5, for 24 and 36 month leases, including for BMW loyalty? Also, is there still the adjustment for repeat deposits?
    Does someone have any promotional or give-back for 5-series and X5? What is the implication for how much below invoice to go?
    Thank you very much.
  • Where did you end up on pricing. I'm looking at 48,475 minus the nav system.

mb

michaelabigelow@yahoo.com
  • What is everyone paying for this car and is it close to actual invoice or the term stealerships use (memo)?
  • 47,500 in Grand Rapids, MI
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Xenon Lights
    iPod and USB adapter
  • My first post here... and first BMW ownership....

My wife and I are looking to purchase a new 528i in the coming months in Houston Texas. We would like a blk/blk or wihite/ tan leather, automatic trans, premium pkg, sirius, ipod adapter, tint, and floor mats. Does anyone know if BMW offers more incentives when the new 2009 models arive supposely in September. We would even be willing to purchase from Dallas dealers, anyone from Houston get better prices out of town. BMW doesn't discount like the US car makers do w/ $50k trucks discounted $15K so the best discount will help in making such a over priced purchase less painful. Also, is there any difference wether you purchase or lease a BMW (any benefits from leasing as oppssed to buying?).

Any information appreciated.

thnx
  • I am hearing up to $1k off invoice from several dealers on 535i. I got an offer for a about $800 under invoice on a white one in Southern California because of some particular options I want. So msrp ~$56k to just over $50k. 0.9% financing. Pretty good deal. Not sure how prices and financing is going to move in the next few months though. I just know there is a load of 5's at the dealers and loads more at the port. I wouldnt be surprised to see prices drop even more. (I hear some Mercedes dealers are doing 5-6k off C class and 15-20k off S550). anycase I'm happy with the deal i am getting. Let me know if you hear pricing that is different from mine.
  • Has anyone heard rumors of what incentives will be forthcoming when the .9 financing ends 9/02? Also have not seen a date the free premium package ends. Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger this week or wait...?
  • cctdicctdi Posts: 82
    The 335xi came to my driveway on February this year was the car standing on dealer’s lot, the deal I got was $ 550.00 above the invoice with the MSRP of $46,650.00.The car was made on 08/07, so the car might have been in the dealership for at least two months. The 535xi Alpine white loaded with rare back seats fold down option made on 04/08 with MSRP of $ 59900.00 had to come from a dealership in Rhode Island to South Jersey, and I paid $ 56000.00 on this passed June to the same dealer.
    I put up just bought 07 Treareg V10 tdi for sale through VW Vortex and Touareg Club by a well known forum maker, for two months NO ONE made any offer with 20k off the price I paid for it! It took only two weeks for local VW dealer to sell my 05 Passat tdi, and I got a few same church goers asking me if I want to sell the 06 Hybrid Highlander. The old saying: the timing, demand, and supply are still the factors.
  • gfish49gfish49 Posts: 24
    Looking to purchase a 2008 535xi, msrp 58,670. Dealer is quoting me 55,670. I would put 10k down and payment would be 840 a month for 60 months. Can I do better and if so by how much. It seems like it is a better deal to buy now instead of lease - correct. Thanks!
  • eights38eights38 Posts: 137
    gfish49 - The question of leasing vs buying is a personal choice. Do you drive between 10K and 15K miles per year? Do you like to have a new car every couple years? If the answer to these questions is yes, leasing is probably your best choice. If you need more help, please feel free to email me at eights38@gmail.com.
  • gfish49gfish49 Posts: 24
    Actually, I have leased my last 5 cars. So, guess I do like new cars, but I do put a lot of milage on my cars, about 22,000 a year. So this time with the low interest rates available at BMW and comparing it to their lease rates, it almost looks like buying maybe a good deal now. The only negative is the upfront money that I would put down for buying.
  • gfish - i think you should be able to get a better deal on the price. i would target for 53000 or 1000 under invoice.
  • Thanks, I have a chance to buy a certified 2008 BMW 535xi too, msrp of 55,225 and selling price is 47,495. The car is certified and has about 9000 miles on it. It also would qualify for the .9 financing, because it was a demo car. Think I would be better off buying this or buying the brand new car. Would 47k be a good price for this car? Thanks again
  • MSRP is 48925. They are offering 4200 off, for 44,725. We are paying cash.

Does this sound reasonable?

It has Parking assist, premium package (included in their incentive?), iPOD.