Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

A Garage-able Pickup Truck - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Chevrolet
imageA Garage-able Pickup Truck - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

A useful, new addition to the Edmunds.com long-term fleet is a truck that fits in a garage: The 2015 Chevrolet Colorado. Can't do this with a Chevy Silverado.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I like this truck and it's GMC twin and since I know my next vehicle will be a truck I'm reading these reviews with a lot of interest. However, GM has a spotty reliability record and getting a troublesome vehicles is likely so I'm waiting to see the new Tacoma also. I don't want a full size truck because they are to big for what I need and prices are now in the luxury car range. Went to a local GMC dealer and was hard pressed to find a Sierra below $40,000, same at the Ford dealer for F 150's. I just can't force myself to pay that kind of money for a truck when I know I can get a BMW 3 Series or a very nicely equipped Hyundai Genesis for the same amount of money.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Now if they'd just lower the bed liftover height a foot (or two...).
  • Options
    gifters1gifters1 Member Posts: 5
    Come on, I can fit my 2500 Sierra CC SB in my garage, back it in every time...
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Couldn't agree with you more, @allthingshonda. Very well said.

I'm also going to wait until the new Tacoma is released and then make a decision. Luckily I've got some time before needing a vehicle.
  • Options
    adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    They sure make small garages in CA. Mine is 24 x 24 with an 8' door height. Pretty much anything fits.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    adamb1 said:

They sure make small garages in CA. Mine is 24 x 24 with an 8' door height. Pretty much anything fits.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that population dense areas put a premium on space.

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I pretty much thought 24X24 was standard size - and sprawl central SoCal is not population-dense in my book.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    gifters1 said:

Come on, I can fit my 2500 Sierra CC SB in my garage, back it in every time...

You must live in the south. Even Suburbans fit in garages down here.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208

I like this truck and it's GMC twin and since I know my next vehicle will be a truck I'm reading these reviews with a lot of interest. However, GM has a spotty reliability record and getting a troublesome vehicles is likely so I'm waiting to see the new Tacoma also. I don't want a full size truck because they are to big for what I need and prices are now in the luxury car range. Went to a local GMC dealer and was hard pressed to find a Sierra below $40,000, same at the Ford dealer for F 150's. I just can't force myself to pay that kind of money for a truck when I know I can get a BMW 3 Series or a very nicely equipped Hyundai Genesis for the same amount of money.

I feel the same way. If you really need the space on a regular basis, getting a truck makes sense. If you don't, just rent one or ask a good friend if you can borrow theirs when you occasionally need to haul things.

My dad originally bought his 2007 Tundra when he owned his own contracting company and needed the space. Now that he has a different job and isn't hauling materials and tools around, he could probably stand to downsize to something smaller. Trucks are great if you'll really use their capability on a regular basis, but if not, they can quickly become a nuisance when used as daily drivers. My dad said that he'd clean out the garage and park his Tundra in there when I went off to college two years ago, but he still parks it outside because it's such a hassle to fit two cars (mom has a Tiguan) in our garage.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    fordson1 said:

I pretty much thought 24X24 was standard size - and sprawl central SoCal is not population-dense in my book.

Not in most urban areas, and it depends on how old the house is too.

In Chicago, the standard lot size is 25x125, so a newly built 2 car garage is probably 20x20. But if you have a home built at the turn of the century or a bungalo from the 1930's with a very old garage, you might have a 10x15 or 15x15, enough for one car and a bicycle.
  • Options
    robertslatez71robertslatez71 Member Posts: 20
    Assuming the gauge was not built back in 1942 or there abouts.. Thats what size we have to contend with by putting this midsize near full size truck into the garage.. Folding the mirrors in I still worry that I will scrape the forward fenders.. but I never do.. The only issue we have at that point (once the truck is in the garage) is that I don't have allot of room to excite the cabin.. I'm having to place a foam pad on the wall just to cushion the door's edge..The other issue I have, is that the truck has been lifted from the factory, we are set up for off road.. just not 4x4. So it is slightly higher up and running boards will be next on the list.