Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I didn't realize VW did it too.

1998 through 2005 Passat powertrains are basically Audi components - and as such they tend to charge accordingly for maintenance...
  • The engine on my volkswagen 98 passat is shaking a lot during start up and is barely drivable. The free check I did on it said it was a P0304 which is the 4th cylinder misfiring. I blieve it might be just a coil pack problem but I was wondering if anyone had any advice or extra knowledge on what to do or what it cold be, what I should expect to pay or how to handle it. Please let me know.
  • After driving our 2006 GLX Passat for 5 years, here's the tally for the repairs on the vehicle...

Home-Link buttons replaced 2X
    Rubber molding on the door handles rubbing off
    Windshield drain clogged up and had to be cleaned
    Brake Pads replaced

I'll be honest, I was surprised that it has been this reliable - but that's a good thing.

The country of origin was Germany, Emden plant.

As for their other models, my wife and I will still steer clear of them....
  • Hi there, I can see your comment is old, did you ever get a resolution to this issue? I bought a 2007 model Passat in Aug 2006. I have always had a problem with the transmission in exactly the way you describe. I think it is actually dangerous, in that if you donot actually STOP, it really gets confused at low speed. Most dangerous example is to cross a lane of traffic, I put my foot down, NOTHING, the car just sits there for several seconds, deciding which gear to be in. I really think one day there will be an accident. I took it back to the dealer many times and eventually they simply told me it was a 'feature' of the gearbox, are they crazy! I contacted VW who said that they had not heard of the problem and relied on local dealers. So as the dealer isn't going to report the problem, I am stuck. I like VWs, I like the Passat, I hate the gearbox. Any comments most welcome.
  • centcent Posts: 3
    My 2006 passat low controls arms are gone, one volkswagen dealership tells me. The dealership where I purchased it from says that there is nothing wrong with my car, the squeaking sound like an old spring mattress is all in my head.
  • Our 2002 Passat had that problem - 24,400 miles but out of warranty. Supposedly the transmission module is bad. We are to pick up the car within a few days. The 1st sign of the problem was like I ran over a 4" x 4" board on the Interstate. On the return trip home that night the same thing happened. On both occasions there was nothing on the road. Then we had the no power problem. e mail me in a few days. The module is $2500. And VW is aware of our problem - (their) Ref # 702 559 16.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    What year do we have today?

;-)

Brake pads are wear item and I would not count them as repair.

Krzys
  • my 1999 passat glx has the same problem even though it has 144 K miles on it. For the longest time I thought my transmission was giving in. But you are saying its a transmission module problem. It still costs 2500 dollars which is a hefty price. Tell me if it actually fixes the problem!
  • We have 2000 Passat and we can only get cool to warm air to come out. No interior smell. Car heats up fine according to thermostat.
  • bought it at 122000 miles, knew there was something wrong with it because I only paid 4k at a dealer.

Expected the initial repairs-
    replaced passenger side tie rods because the car kept bumping on something.
    leaks fluid all the time, usually oil.
    then did the whole timing belt, serpentine belt, thermostat, water pump, valve cover gasket and the rest in that area, cost $2000 at dealer. but after that repair supposedly according to an independent mechanic, dealer forgot to put the belly pan back and forgot some clips on some hoses. took it back to the dealer, they say it could have fallen out at some point! yea right!
    leaking stopped for a while, now it still leaves small spots.. thats fine with me

now at 144k miles i need a lot of suspension parts up front. I noticed the problem when I heard clicking sounds usually when i turn at low speeds. Then the problem worsened to a point where i thought i was driving the flinstones car with the square tires. need both axle CV shafts, ball joints, tie rods (again? but im thinking its the outer driver side this time)
    $1600 dollars is where I am at right now at the independent mechanic.

And then Ive had that transmission problem that was posted before where the car hesitates to kick down a gear on an automatic trans, when i try to accelerate (problem goes away if i floor it- i usually switch it to triptronic and shift down usually to fix the problem before i actually damage something).. but the problem is pretty rare so i havent done much about it. I know I sound like I dont take care of problems till it all goes wrong, but I am a college student and I might as well be driving a brand new bmw 3-series off a cliff every year, considering how much i spend on college.

So I was wondering, other than what im thinking is that transmission module, how much more money do you think I could put into this car? Is it time to sell or is this car going to do well, now that I have replaced most of the faulty parts?
  • Thanks 600kgolfgt. I live in Orange County, NY.
  • I live in Orange County, NY.

You're definitely in luck. Rapid Parts over in Rockland County is a place I highly recommend that specializes in VWs and Audis. I've been dealing with them for over 10 years. Here's the link:

http://rapidparts.com

Here's the link for directions to the facility:

http://rapidparts.com/rpeContactUS.aspx
  • picked it up Friday and have put over 100 miles on - appears to have fixed the problem. Also engine light was on at the same time previously - was on for about 20 miles Friday then went out. Will reply if the problem starts all over again
  • altair 4 - did you get an answer to this question? I am a new owner (bought for my daughter) and have already spent more on maintenance in the first year of owning a 2003 4 cyl passat than I have spent on the last 4 other cars combined... hate to think I am going to have to pay the dealer to replace the battery, but don't want to damage the gasket and don't see how it comes out.

any help would be appreciated...

thanks.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Yes, I did figure it out. As you look at the engine with the hood up, standing in front of the car, the gasket will pull directly towards you, kind of in the horizontal plane. I usually just start it in the middle and firmly pull it off. You need to work it a little around the driver's side (US driver's side, that is), but it will come clear enough to remove the plenum cover. The cover itself lifts a bit and then you pull it towards you.

Good luck with the battery exchange.
  • I have an 02 Passat I am trying to change the rear driver's side marker light on as well. Does anyone know how to get to the bulb? I thought about going in through the trunk, but the cloth insulation will be fairly complicated to remove. If that doesn't have to come out it will be a lot easier.
  • I have put about 300 miles on since I picked up the 2002 Passat. The problem with the transmission seems to have been remedied by replacing the transmission module. Hope this helps.
  • Our 2002 Passat wasn't heating. Tech said no water circulation. Replaced thermostat, water pump(plastic impeller broken, retrieved piece), back flushed heater core. All back together, good circulation at radiator. Driving at highway speeds get heat. Idle or slow traffic, blows cold. Tech thought possible bad thermostat, replaced, no change. So at a loss for a reason. Right now the next step under consideration is add an electric auxiliary in-line water pump to work with the heater side of the controls. Any other suggestions?
  • evilzevilz Posts: 5
    Hi all,
    I had the car battery replaced (aftermarket) on my 2003 Passat and now pushing the unlock button twice on the remote doesn't unlock the passenger doors anymore...
    The radio still works, as does the single touch windows and truck release, but no more passenger door unlock.

Suggestions?
  • I have an '02 Passat and would like to add heated seats, but would like to avoid going through the dealer. I've checked all of the after market websites and cannot locate any. Any suggestions? Or, is the mechanism embedded in all seats and all I have to do is connect them and add the switches to the dash? Thanks for input.